Winterfest

ScottyBowman

Mar 10, 2003
Detroit
Visit site
So is this becoming a disaster or what. I know the local media has their Detroit Pom Poms on but the pictures I've seen and the video shows that their is nobody there for these games so far. The GLI championship looked like maybe 2000 people. They got a lot more for that at JLA. Then they have the AHL and OHL stuff where I can imagine even less people will show up for that tomorrow. Hopefully the Alumni game will be better attended.

Aug 6, 2012
I was at the GLI games and it was very crowded. There's so much to do in the Fan Zone, at Hockeytown Cafe, and at other places around Comerica that a lot of the time people aren't sitting down watching the game. I'll be at the AHL game and the Alumni game as well, and it'll probably be the same. There's a lot more than just a hockey game going on.

Brodie

HACK THE BONE! HACK THE BONE!
Mar 19, 2009
Chicago
I was at the GLI game on Friday night and both the game and the Fanzone was completely dead... there were maybe 5000 people at the game if I'm generous. And the temps are only going to get colder.

crashman

I think the people will show up for the Alumni game.

But yeah, I was downtown today (not for the Winterfest) and it looked dead.

If it weren't' for the crazy Leafs fans, I think then entire event would be a hard sell. I'd say I'm a pretty hardcore Wings fan, but I'm not interested in spending my money on any of the Winter Classic events or merchandise, and I go to a lot of Wings games.

To me it's just a gimmick, but I do enjoy watching it from the comfort of my living room. The game is good because the stakes are higher than your typical regular season game, not because it's being played outdoors.

Last edited by a moderator:

I Am The Stig

SPACESHIP!!
Oct 19, 2011
My gf and I are flying into Detroit tmrw and we're trying to figure out stuff to do on the 31st in the morning/afternoon. While we do not have tickets to the Alumni game, we were planning on checking out the winterfest. Just wondering what all is there to do? We were also planning on checking out the festivities down in Ann Arbor.

Any ideas?

HIFE

May 10, 2011
Detroit, MI
I was there today for parts of the OHL double-header. Yes I agree it was dead, but around 3000 fans is usual for the Plymouth Whalers, so to have 2 or 3x's that scattered about at a CJH game(s) was positive. It did get weird though. A Sunday evening and the 2nd game was delayed 2 hours, it felt surreal how empty the joint was.

What's insane is it was announced there was a crowd of 25,000 fans! Complete lie. Or it's the same thing as with the Wings, tickets are sold/written off and nobody cares to show up and watch.

For the sake of the event and the sport there should be circumstances to allow free entrance to these games. The vendors would make a lot more money and it would be a bigger party. The more the merrier. It would be a service to the city. Fill the rafters with newcomers and make it into a true winter "fest."

Agree with the comment the alumni games will be more full.

The Zetterberg Era

Ball Hockey Sucks
Nov 8, 2011
Ft. Myers, FL
My gf and I are flying into Detroit tmrw and we're trying to figure out stuff to do on the 31st in the morning/afternoon. While we do not have tickets to the Alumni game, we were planning on checking out the winterfest. Just wondering what all is there to do? We were also planning on checking out the festivities down in Ann Arbor.

Any ideas?

I would say a lot of that depends on where you're staying. If you want to do both that way deciding before you hit the airport is important as Metro is kind of a half-way point (not exactly) but heading one way first then the other towards your hotel is probably a good idea.

I Am The Stig

SPACESHIP!!
Oct 19, 2011
I would say a lot of that depends on where you're staying. If you want to do both that way deciding before you hit the airport is important as Metro is kind of a half-way point (not exactly) but heading one way first then the other towards your hotel is probably a good idea.

Well our hotel is in Novi, which it looks like on google maps is in the middle of Detroit and Ann Arbor (I could be wrong).

HIFE

May 10, 2011
Detroit, MI
Any ideas?

I think get to the ballpark and pick up some tickets for free or like 10$. As mentioned there are soooo many empty seats, you could get in very cheap.

With the temps and wind whipping through downtown I recommend dressing like a London Knights fan: snowmobile suit with pac-boots and giant mittens!

hot dog

Mar 20, 2013
Well our hotel is in Novi, which it looks like on google maps is in the middle of Detroit and Ann Arbor (I could be wrong).

Haha, I'm Canadian and live in Novi. Probably won't be much going on during the afternoon here at all. Most of what I do is go to the bars around here (when I stay in town) - there are decent places on Main St and in Fountain Walk. You could go to downtown Plymouth (on the way to AA - much more consolidated than Novi minus Fountain Walk) or just to Ann Arbor (undoubtedly will be the most lively point on NYE). I'm probably going to Windsor for NYE, but I don't have WC tickets or anything. Novi isn't overly exciting. :laugh:

The Zetterberg Era

Ball Hockey Sucks
Nov 8, 2011
Ft. Myers, FL

Guess I would do Ann Arbor from the airport then head into town just me, if you want to check in first or that kind of stuff then that changes it. But Ann Arbor is very easy on 94 when you first get in. Ann Arbor is the farthest point was what I was getting at. Could even do Ann Arbor, then go check in and head into the city for the rest of the day/night. Couple nice malls out in the Novi area and not a bad commute for the game the next day, you should like that choice.

Detroit is spaced out though was kind of the warning, if you go downtown, you might not get Ann Arbor in the same day when all is said and done. So if that is a priority in terms of seeing it before the game you might want to knock that out right away. If you're thinking New Years Detroit or Ann Arbor are much wiser than Novi, but both are going to be pricey cabs after bars.

Brodie

Mar 19, 2009
Chicago
A guy offered me tickets to the GLI Championship after I walked out of the game (I wasn't going to freeze my ass off to watch Michigan lose)... I managed to talk him down to 4 for $7 before deciding not to go. So event tickets can be had cheaply, if you're at all interested in meeting the alumni or maybe some of the Tigers you can head downtown and try and score them to get into the fan fest area.

But Ann Arbor is your best bet... it'll be somewhat dead since it's break, but there is much more to do there than in metro Detroit.

Gavin24

Jul 14, 2006
Well I assume it has alot to do with the fact they forced us (or me anyway) to purchase tickets to the GLI in order to get WC tickets. I had 4 that went un used myself.

Aug 6, 2012
It seemed as if there were 70% Leafs fans at the AHL game today. I'm guessing there's gonna be way more Leafs fans than Wings fans at the WC, which is sad.

HIFE

May 10, 2011
Detroit, MI
It seemed as if there were 70% Leafs fans at the AHL game today. I'm guessing there's gonna be way more Leafs fans than Wings fans at the WC, which is sad.

I don't know about sad, it is what it is. There was waaay more Knights and Spitfire fans vs. Whalers and Spirit fans at the OHL deal Sunday, judging by jerseys and swag. This is Canada's game and I humble to that and embrace the visitors traveling through southeast Michigan. I hope we can represent well to say we are decently passionate hockey fans. We are massive partyers so at least on that front we will not disappoint. :laugh:

The most sweaters I did see at Winterfest, by far, were Red Wings! There are a lot of Wings fanatics ready to bust out and cheer at at the Winter Classic. I like the new puffy Wings emblem/lettering and I'd say a lot of others do too. :nod: The letterman style wool jacket and jerseys are beautiful. I think there will be a very fair blend of red and blue today at the Alumni games and on New Year's Day tomorrow.

ShanahanMan

Jan 31, 2009
Tokyo, Japan
I have some friends and family who've checked out the festivities and they also said it was eerily dead.

I know I'll get bashed for this but this is exactly why I still think the team needs to be moved. The state is simply way too weak to support an infrastructure for this kind of event and this kind of franchise. We are economically at the bottom of the barrel and simply don't have the means, nor the public desire to generate enough interest.

As others have pointed out, expect a sea of blue at the game on New Years, as Michiganders just can't be bothered.

Aug 6, 2012
I have some friends and family who've checked out the festivities and they also said it was eerily dead.

I know I'll get bashed for this but this is exactly why I still think the team needs to be moved. The state is simply way too weak to support an infrastructure for this kind of event and this kind of franchise. We are economically at the bottom of the barrel and simply don't have the means, nor the public desire to generate enough interest.

As others have pointed out, expect a sea of blue at the game on New Years, as Michiganders just can't be bothered.

The attendance of the game isn't really affected by the economy. You can get tickets for $5 and basically sit wherever you want and get access to the Fan Zone. There have been around 20,000 people attending the past two days so its not as bad as it seems.

ArGarBarGar

What do we want!? Unfair!
Sep 8, 2008

I doubt it.

The team is still very viable, so what would be the incentive for anyone to spend the money and time to have the team moved?

Reality Check

May 28, 2008

:facepalm:

Yeah because were just dying to sit out in the cold to watch minor league hockey :laugh:

If anything, I expected far more Toronto fans to attend the AHL game than what actually happened.

Outside January 1st, the only other games that people care about are the alumni and attendance looks pretty good so far for the first one. This is the game without the "big names" as well.

Michigan/Michigan St. have already done outdoor games so there really isn't a draw there either. OHL was put up against the NFL and the outside activities are drawing some attention away as well.

That said, the Pistons drew a solid crowd last night as people are starting to buy into them a bit. So I can understand if organizers of this event feel a bit disappointment.

But they know as well as I do, the Alumni is the only other draw. Everything else is gravy and most importantly, it's just a one time thing anyhow.

Brodie

Mar 19, 2009
Chicago
the thing was a horrible idea because the OHL teams draw like 3000 people max, ever and the GLI usually makes due with ~12-15000 people. Why they assumed there was interest, let alone so much interest that they didn't need to advertise, is beyond me.

ScottyBowman

Mar 10, 2003
Detroit
Visit site

No we are not at the bottom of anything. That is just nonsense.

ScottyBowman

Mar 10, 2003
Detroit
Visit site
the thing was a horrible idea because the OHL teams draw like 3000 people max, ever and the GLI usually makes due with ~12-15000 people. Why they assumed there was interest, let alone so much interest that they didn't need to advertise, is beyond me.

They must have thought that the people were dying to watch hockey outside in the winter. They were sadly mistaken.

Reality Check

May 28, 2008

I understand they wanted something for each day.

But they were better off having Sunday as an open invitation day or something. Scrap the Windsor outdoor game and have the Whalers/AHL doubleheader on Monday.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad