Blue Jays Discussion: Alright, no more discontent. Just baseball | ST in Mtl: StL @ Tor | Mar 26/27 7pm ET/4pm PT

Status
Not open for further replies.

Diamond Joe Quimby

A$AP Joffrey
Aug 14, 2010
Washington, DC
You cannot be defensively weak up the middle and plan to compete. Ideally, you want an above average SS.

After watching this past week, I’m not as bullish on this team as I at the beginning of ST18

Lol, yes, ideally we'd all love to have Francisco Lindor or Corey Seager as a starting shortstop. Not that Carlos Correa bum though. Gotsta be strong up the middle.

phillipmike

Oct 27, 2009
Fangraphs on the fritz again;

upload_2018-3-16_9-8-12.png

This time hey have teams like the O's, and A's with more wins than the Jays and the 87 win Cards are now an 82 win team. As always it is just a glitch because none of their projected WAR numbers changed just the wins.

phillipmike

Oct 27, 2009
Guy can never seem to stay healthy. Hopefully this doesnt continue to follow the guy throughout his career - we need him longterm.

TheMadHatTrick

Nov 2, 2008
Ugh, Alford injured again. This guy is made of glass like Devon Travis. Not sure we can plan around this guy longterm.

phillipmike

Oct 27, 2009
I'm not falling for that hype train. I think the Jays are in for 1-2 years of pain, then Jr and Bo come up to lead us out of the wasteland.

Hype train? They predicted the Jays winning the wildcard with 84 wins and the Angels right on their tails with 82, not to mention Seattle and Minnesota with 81 and 80. Heck the Jays almost/could have 84 games last year.

I think these projections are more reasonable than FG's 87 wins for the Jays. I think the Jays and Angels are probably right around each other (Angels have a better lineup and defense, Jays have much better pitching theoretically). If healthy the Mariners and Twins are in the 80 win mark for me too. But the Twins have an injured Santana and a sexual incident investigation over Sano's head. Mariners already have injuries to Healy, Gamel, and Hernandez that will affect their opening day status not to mention a slew of soft tissue injuries to Cano, Cruz, Segura and Suzuki along with lingering injures for 3-4 of their other rotation guys.

Unless the Rangers, O's or Rays have an unreal breakout season(s) from some of their players this is likely a 4 team race for 1 wildcard spot between the Jays, Angels, M's and Twins. I like the Jays chances.

phillipmike

Oct 27, 2009
Forgot to mention... take it with a grain of salt but on the radio home last night Richard Griffin said that the Jays offered Donaldson a 4 year extension in the off-season (2018 + 4 years) but Donaldson wanted 6 years (2018 + 6 years). Makes sense as Atkins did mention "sharing risk" with regards to the Donaldson extension when camp opened and there is no "sharing risk" in 6 years.

There will always be inherent risk for the Jays as they are signing guaranteed deals. 4 years is better than 6 from the team's perspective especially if we are talking 20M+ per season but 4 could be a disaster as well. 4 is the absolute most i would go on a 33 year old JD but it sounds like you ask for 6 and we are offering 4 - if they get to 5 years then it might get done (via mutual or vesting option). But if JD wants to go to the market to get 6 years then by all means go ahead - i rather see if he can stay healthy this season.

Reactions: BertCorbeau

phillipmike

Oct 27, 2009
I don’t think their projected 84 wins will win a WC spot.

You think an AL team not named the Yankees, Red Sox, Indians and Astros will win 85 games or more?

At points in August last year teams were on pace at a rate where 80-82 wins could have won the wildcard. If the Twins didnt win 7 of their last 10 (and 6 of those wins were against the Tigers - Twins were 14-14 in September) it was very possible last year's 2nd wildcard team could have won 81 games and got in (team immediately after the Twins was the Angels/Rays/Royals with 80 wins). For me only the Angels got better in that group... As long as they are healthy this should be an Angels vs Jays battle for the last wildcard spot.

metafour

Apr 6, 2008
Anyone following the draft prospects for June? Anyone standing out for you?

I've been following a bit, but its still a little early for me. I like HS OF Connor Scott who has shot up the board but I have a feeling that he ultimately wont even be available when we pick. Kiley McDaniel just labeled him as "Kyle Tucker with 70-grade speed and a little less power"; he goes to the same HS that Tucker came out of and he looks oddly similar to him. There are a lot of college bats jumbled in that range as well; I feel that CF Travis Swaggerty is a player that the Jays would like but he's probably a bit out of range for our pick as of now.

Reactions: TheMadHatTrick

Suntouchable13

Dec 20, 2003
Toronto, ON
You think an AL team not named the Yankees, Red Sox, Indians and Astros will win 85 games or more?

At points in August last year teams were on pace at a rate where 80-82 wins could have won the wildcard. If the Twins didnt win 7 of their last 10 (and 6 of those wins were against the Tigers - Twins were 14-14 in September) it was very possible last year's 2nd wildcard team could have won 81 games and got in (team immediately after the Twins was the Angels/Rays/Royals with 80 wins). For me only the Angels got better in that group... As long as they are healthy this should be an Angels vs Jays battle for the last wildcard spot.

It's never that simple, is it? Teams disappoint, teams surprise. It almost never works like it theoretically should in March. I hope one of Red Sox or Yankees fall flat on their faces.

Garlando

May 5, 2014
Kingston, Ontario
Anyone following the draft prospects for June? Anyone standing out for you?
I’ve been following the upcoming draft process a fair bit since January and can share this thread from another forum I participate in that has lots of info (somewhat fantasy baseball related but still helpful). I have compiled a Google doc that has 2017 and 2018 stats for the top college players:

2018 MLB Draft Prospects

and there’s lots of reports and tidbits throughout the thread on guys who could be available to the Jays with their first pick. Guys I like that I project to maybe be available when the Jays pick:

1.) Travis Swaggerty
2.) Casey Mize
3.) Alec Bohm
4.) Ryan Rolison
5.) Jerred Kelenic
6.) Kumar Rocker
7.) Cole Wilcox
8.) Connor Scott

Nineteen67

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Dec 12, 2017
But has the AL ever been this weak? Twins could've went 81-81 and still made the postseason last year.

Like the Twins and Jays last year- Someone will surprise their fans and someone will disappoint theirs based upon preseason expectations.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad