Blue Jays Discussion: Winter Discontent III: Discontent with a Vengeance

Status
Not open for further replies.

TF97

Jul 4, 2010
Halifax, NS
5 years for Cain? That is more than I would have been comfortable with. But good for both Cain/Yelich and the Brewers. They are in a good position long term and will be right up there with the Cubs and Cardinals in my opinion. They should still have money available to bring in someone such as Neil Walker for 2B as well.

As I mentioned previously, they’re now in a position to deal Santana in package for a starter. Job well done, Stearns.

Gargyn

Oct 19, 2006
Kelowna, BC
I'm just glad this management team seems to understand talent. Obvious they would have moved Pillar had they got Yelich for Bichette and others. Because as is, this outfield is atrocious and I think they know that. Adding the complimentary pieces is great but they need a stud out there and that would have been Yelich. Oh well, exciting to see what else they have in mind now.

zeke

The Dube Abides
Mar 14, 2005
5 x$16 Cain is a good price and i wish we had done it. ah well, he prob didn't want to come here.

brinson to me is an alford-calibre prospect, while the rest aren't any better than a number of our other prospects. I would have given that kind of package for yelich, but thankfully we weren't the team to offer up an elite prospect for him.

Gargyn

Oct 19, 2006
Kelowna, BC
The Jays outfield is nowhere remotely close to "atrocious".
Agree to disagree then. I'm speaking offensively. I like Grichuk and think he might surprise but the OBP of the bunch is a lot less than desirable. Defensively it should be fine...except when Pearce is playing.

Discoverer

Apr 11, 2012
Agree to disagree then. I'm speaking offensively. I like Grichuk and think he might surprise but the OBP of the bunch is a lot less than desirable. Defensively it should be fine...except when Pearce is playing.

Granderson/Pearce is well above average offensively. Grichuk is average offensively with upside. Pillar is pretty bad, but he's still an elite defender.

Overall they have three average or better outfielders with good depth in case something goes wrong.

Kurtz

Jul 17, 2005
If we are moving Bichette, it better be Tulos money coming off the books.

If we use use Bo to unload a bad salary, even if we get a decent player in return, that would be an awful, awful move from our management. Fortunately, our management's history has shown that they don't make moves like that (in fact, they've done the opposite with Liriano).

Kurtz

Jul 17, 2005
5 x$16 Cain is a good price and i wish we had done it. ah well, he prob didn't want to come here.

brinson to me is an alford-calibre prospect, while the rest aren't any better than a number of our other prospects. I would have given that kind of package for yelich, but thankfully we weren't the team to offer up an elite prospect for him.

According to one insider I've heard on the fan a few days ago, Jays did go to Cain's camp with a take it or leave it offer right before they made the deal with St Louis. No way they would have done 5 years though.

Discoverer

Apr 11, 2012
If we use use Bo to unload a bad salary, even if we get a decent player in return, that would be an awful, awful move from our management. Fortunately, our management's history has shown that they don't make moves like that (in fact, they've done the opposite with Liriano).

Yeah, there's no reason to worry that a move like that would be in the cards.

SeaOfBlue

The Passion That Unites Us All
Aug 1, 2013
I think the context was they tried to move Bo + Morales (and I'm guessing more) as a part of the deal for Yelich and perhaps different salary coming back (likely a player they could have used, maybe one of the bullpen guys).

Not Bo just to dump Morales.

Reactions: Joel Ward

Gargyn

Oct 19, 2006
Kelowna, BC
Granderson/Pearce is well above average offensively. Grichuk is average offensively with upside. Pillar is pretty bad, but he's still an elite defender.

Overall they have three average or better outfielders with good depth in case something goes wrong.
Average won't win us the world series let alone gain a wild card berth. If that's the outfield, then why keep Donaldson and watch him walk? We won't outbid teams on him as a free agent.

zeke

The Dube Abides
Mar 14, 2005
I think the context was they tried to move Bo + Morales (and I'm guessing more) as a part of the deal for Yelich and perhaps different salary coming back (likely a player they could have used, maybe one of the bullpen guys).

Not Bo just to dump Morales.

morales in no way whatsoever should be any part of any reason we lose Bo.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad