Winter classic at home

vbman09

Nov 30, 2011
Since we learned the reason the Rangers were the away team for the stadium series, how will the NHL have a home game for the Winter Classic. Every team gets a home and away for the classic, What do you think will happen?

Who OwnsDaChiefs

Feb 3, 2014
For all intents and such, the Yankee Stadium games were pretty much home games. I get it that they wore road whites, but seriously. It was just a technicality.

vbman09

Nov 30, 2011
That can't be right. Or do you mean that every team that has played in the WC (except for us and Buffalo) has had a home and away game?

Correct

every team has played an away and a home game except us and the Sabres

vbman09

Nov 30, 2011
For all intents and such, the Yankee Stadium games were pretty much home games. I get it that they wore road whites, but seriously. It was just a technicality.

Stadium series was great but the Classic is a different animal.

I love the 24/7 leading up to the classic, its on New Years day! And it's the main event of the day.

I understand the tax break, but to me they can do something creative to have the game here in NY.

Miller Time NYR

Oct 5, 2010
Long Beach
Correct

every team has played an away and a home game except us and the Sabres

Aside from the fact that that is incorrect; the Sabres, Hawks, Bruins, and Leafs all haven't been in two games, there is no rule that says each team needs one home and one away. Notice the teams that have had multiple game, are they not the more popular teams in the league? The NHL bases these games on making money, they played in the big house to get more people to the game and the classic is the only game to be played that day. Their not basing the game on getting each market a home game, at all, their basing it on getting the most viewers and making the most money.

irishlaxburger2

Jan 30, 2008
Rye, NY
This was one of the many reasons we got 2 games in Yankee Stadium this year. Consider one of them a payback for not getting a WC

Who OwnsDaChiefs

Feb 3, 2014

I love the 24/7 leading up to the classic, its on New Years day! And it's the main event of the day.

I understand the tax break, but to me they can do something creative to have the game here in NY.

It just seemed like giving the Rangers two Stadium Series games days apart was their way of skirting the WC home game issue without really doing it. The NHL for sure would have wanted to use NYR as a home game but had that tax issue as a roadblock. This was their resolution. I mean, Dodger stadium could held more than just the Ducks/Kings. Ducks, Sharks? Sharks, Kings? But they didn't.

Giacomin

Apr 29, 2007

What is creative about 17 million dollars?

nikonsniper*

The NHL still owes the Rangers.

We didn't get a "home" game and the recent games weren't even the winter classic (where we would be the main event, not one of several).

Miller Time NYR

Oct 5, 2010
Long Beach

We didn't get a "home" game and the recent games weren't even the winter classic (where we would be the main event, not one of several).

What does the NHL owe the Rangers? Can someone please point me to the rule that says each team must play one home and one away game in the winter classic. I'm not going to explain the rest just see above, but the notion that were the Rangers screw the tax break scenario we deserve two games! Is rediculous.

Here's a good stat, less than half the teams that have been in the WC have played twice....

Who OwnsDaChiefs

Feb 3, 2014

I respectfully disagree the Rangers weren't a home team or main event.

Hank wore these Yankee themed articles at the games for crap's sake:
lundqvistpinstripe.jpg

lundqviststadiumseriesmask.jpg

Can anyone honestly say the Devils or Isles were the main event in either of their games?
Pretty certain the Rangers got their money's worth from both games.

In addition, the casual fan wouldn't be able to discern between Winter Classic or Stadium Series game. Most casual fans referred to these Yankee Stadium games as Winter Classics anyhow.
Besides, they are currently 3-0 being the "visiting team" in outdoor games. Why mess with it? : )

Last edited:

vbman09

Nov 30, 2011
What does the NHL owe the Rangers? Can someone please point me to the rule that says each team must play one home and one away game in the winter classic. I'm not going to explain the rest just see above, but the notion that were the Rangers screw the tax break scenario we deserve two games! Is rediculous.

Here's a good stat, less than half the teams that have been in the WC have played twice....

To be hoest I can't find it on the NHL website, Calls to the office were not returned, I think I heard it from the broadcast, that every team would get an away and home game

played 2 WC Games
Pens
Philly
Washington (2015)
Redwings

Played 1 WC game
NYR
Chi
Tor
Buf
Bos

Yep your right. let's close the thread you won..........

:handclap::handclap::handclap:

Miller Time NYR

Oct 5, 2010
Long Beach
To be hoest I can't find it on the NHL website, Calls to the office were not returned, I think I heard it from the broadcast, that every team would get an away and home game

played 2 WC Games
Pens
Philly
Washington (2015)
Redwings

Played 1 WC game
NYR
Chi
Tor
Buf
Bos

Yep your right. let's close the thread you won..........

:handclap::handclap::handclap:
Well since your theory that every team is guaranteed a home and away WC is false, and this rule is nonexistent I guess we should close the thread since your wrong.

AHB*

People have said it before, but I would LOVE to see a game at Michie (Army) Stadium. It only holds about 40K so i doubt the NHL would ever go for it, but it would be so cool and intimate.

I went to both SS games and that stadium is just not built for hockey (although sitting in the Upper Decks was good). It was still a great experience, but baseball stadiums are not fit for hockey.

acapps10

Apr 8, 2008
I figured they gave us back-to-back "away" games at Yankee Stadium against our rivals as compensation for not being able to play an actual "home" Winter Classic.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad