Half-Assed GDT: Winter Classic 2022 Blues vs. Wild

Status
Not open for further replies.

Linkens Mastery

Conductor of the TankTown Express
Jan 15, 2014
Hyrule
Berube definitely deserves some Jack Adams consideration for the job he’s done so far. To be in second place in the division(by points percentage, the true standings) after dealing with the injuries, the COVID cap crunch, playing short handed etc. is pretty remarkable. Thomas and Kyrou taking the next step in their development, Tarasenko regaining form, and adding Buchnevich and Saad without any major subtraction from the current roster has been huge. Schenn, ROR, and Perron haven’t even really gotten going yet. If they start clicking, we can score with anyone. Still not entirely sold on the D, but we’ve played 6 more games than Colorado has and we’ve both allowed 91 goals, so if it’s a weakness for us, the same can be said for them.
But, I thought Berube lost the room and would be fired by The New Year? So you're telling me the bad slump was just that? A slump? That's wild.

SwivelSchwartz

May 14, 2019
The wild remind me a lot of when Tarasenko first came over. Lots of good pieces but still need a #1 C to put them over the top.

ChicagoBlues

Terraformers
Oct 24, 2006
Why did he fall so low? Were teams afraid he would stay in Russia?
According to the author of that article, there were some reservations about his small size and the fear that he would stay in the KHL anyway, so why waste a pick.

Last edited:

Brian39

Apr 24, 2014
I'd say a 1C and a 2C. And a goalie that can go on a hot streak.
I consider Eriksson Ek as a clear contender-caliber 2C. He's a 25ish goal and 50ish point guy with incredibly good defensive ability. Most of his production comes at even strength, so I don't think his production is artificial. I don't like him as a 1C, but a team would be in great shape with him anchoring a shut-down unit that can pop some goals. Add a legit 1C and they are a legit contender if one of their goalies plays at/near his ceiling for 2 months. But a 1C is a hell of a tough thing to acquire mid-season.

Looking forward, their support cast is quickly aging out and the 3 years of dead cap staring next year is going to be a huge limiting factor. The $16-$17M of free space that they have is quickly going to disappear as they re-sign or replace Goligoski, Rask, Fiala, Greenway and the 9 other spots opening up by cheaper contracts. That is why they couldn't make a serious play for Eichel and I don't see how they acquire and pay that 1C.

Brian39

Apr 24, 2014
The game on Saturday was an amazing experience. Minnesota put on an amazing show and I'm not crazy about the stuff I've seen poking fun at the "State of Hockey" branding. That term is about way more than their NHL team and it is reflected by the fact that they have produced by far the most current NHLers of any state (their 52 active players is 15 more than 2nd place Michigan). Their state high school hockey championship is the biggest in the country, Duluth has become an NCAA powerhouse, and the US Pond Hockey Championship takes place in Minnesota. Hockey plays a bigger part of the culture there than it does anywhere else in the US. I saw more youth/high school hockey hats/shirts/jackets than Wild gear when I was out and about in the days before the game. Everything about the event was a celebration of hockey more than a celebration of the Wild or the NHL. I thought it was incredibly well done and I had nothing but positive experiences with the locals.

With all that said, Blues fans dominated the section I was in and the surrounding sections. It makes sense since these were the sections made available to Blues season ticket holders, but I was still expecting more tickets to have been sold to locals on the secondary market. I was in the section directly below the towel man and had a great view of the ice (the only obstructed part of the ice was the area directly below the goal line, but all of the crease and net was visible to me). I didn't feel much further away than I do in my season tickets at Enterprise Center and it was very easy to actually watch/follow the game. The clear highlight of the weekend for me was easily the 6 appearances by the towel man and the loud participation by the nearby sections.

I will absolutely never sit through a sporting event in weather that cold ever again. I have plenty of quality cold-weather gear that I accumulated over 8 years living in Colorado. I layered appropriately, stuffed hot hands everywhere I could and had some liquid warmth before and during the game. It was still really damn cold to just be sitting still (Especially in the 3rd period when the crowd had thinned out a bit). But I'm so happy that I went. It was an incredible experience that is unquestionably a top 5 experience in my 30 years of being a Blues fan.

Using the "pond" rinks in the outfield to showcase local hockey was a fantastic touch and having the Wild come out of a warming hut was perfect. The winter classic is built on the nostalgia/romance around pond hockey and their setup captured that perfectly. Pond hockey has been almost 100% of the hockey I've played in the last 5 years because my home in Colorado was about an hour and a half from the closest rink. For me, hockey season became the 4-5 months of the year that the pond was frozen. Our little hockey community had enough people to consistently play 2 pick up games a week (a weekend morning game and a weeknight game under generator-powered lights). A February pond hockey tournament has become an annual tradition for me and friends who have scattered around the country. The field and atmosphere on Saturday perfectly captured that portion of my hockey experience and the actual game beat expectations.

Saturday was easily the top highlight of Blues season for me and will remain that way unless we host another parade this year. This roster has flaws and I think the stark difference between the 2nd and 3rd periods is a great summary of how this roster as constructed is going to have ups and downs. But right now I genuinely don't care about the negatives. The nostalgia and romance of that game has bled over into my emotions about this team. I love that they showed up in beach wear. I love how much fun they seem to be having. I love that Kyrou is exploding as a league-wide star. I love that Tarasenko is our leading scorer. I love that Barby has taken the next step into a player I thought he'd become when we drafted him. I love that Thomas is playing at a 78 point pace despite appearing allergic to shooting. And I love that everything I just talked about was on full display in prime time at the league's biggest event. What a night.

Shwabeal

Feb 24, 2016
Does anyone know of somewhere you can watch the game in it's entirety? I can't seem to find anything through a google search and it doesn't appear that it's archived on ESPN+ or on the NHL website.

jura

booze & blues
Mar 29, 2012
Zagreb, Croatia
Bucha MVP :yo:

cut.jpg

The Beach Boys

Ridge1982

Nov 4, 2019
Does anyone know of somewhere you can watch the game in it's entirety? I can't seem to find anything through a google search and it doesn't appear that it's archived on ESPN+ or on the NHL website.
Here you go, but it's a Russian commentary,

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad