Wins/Moments of the Decade

HisIceness

This is Hurricanes Hockey
Sep 16, 2010
Charlotte
Inspired by the Goals of the Decade thread that @Big Daddy Cane created.

I know for most of us, this will be largely a 2018-19 thread but lets try to keep in tune with the goals thread and think back to some bright spots during the dark days. Or not, but I'll try to jog some memories here.

-Beating the Flyers on Brind'Amours jersey retirement night. Flyers had won something like 8 straight in the series before that night

-The announcement that Michael Khan was buying the Albany River Rats and relocating them to Charlotte, thus having the Checkers be the Canes AHL affiliate.

-That NYE win over Montreal in 2013, something like 4 straight goals in the 3rd period

-Beating the eventual Cup champ Blackhawks in front of 6k who braved icy roads (I had tickets for this one but exchanged them for a game the next season)

-The two wins in Finland over Minnesota to start the 2010-11 season. Skinners debut and Brandon Sutter was developing into a star.

-Hosting the All-Star Game. The Hockey media was generally complementary of Raleigh and the Caniacs that weekend.

-Eric Staal hat trick in Atlanta (RIP) in his first game as captain.

-Sweeping the defending cup champ Bruins for the first time in franchise history (2011-12), this season included the infamous "turtling" game. Cam Ward wasn't gonna waste his time with Tuuka Rask :laugh:

-Ward getting his 300th win in Las Vegas in the first ever meeting between the Hurricanes and Golden Knights

-Sweeping the Blackhawks in 2015-16 (defending champs) and flashing a row of Blackhawks fans on the PNC jumbotron as "crying Jordans" and having Chicago media call the Hurricanes "classless" and other nonsense for having some fun with visiting fans.

-Jay Harrison OT winner in Ottawa during the lockout-shortened season. The GDT from that game was one of the best I've ever been a part of during my time here.

-Skinners first hat trick in Nashville, proceeded by Tripp Tracys "Strawng!" comments after the game which inspired the "Jeff Skinner is Strawng" video. :laugh:

-Season opening win against Minnesota in 2017 via Slavin a shootout winner. I was in the building for that one, and it was a rare season-opening win for the franchise.

-Getting the #2 pick in the draft lottery and using it to draft Svechnikov.

-Season opening win over Montreal this season, the summer after the Aho offer-sheet, followed by the OT win in Washington.

Last edited:
Reactions: Surrounded By Ahos

LostInaLostWorld

Work?
Sponsor
Oct 25, 2016
Central City
Image-from-iOS-121.jpg

Lucky Lindy

Jun 24, 2012
Stockholm
Getting Hanifin at #5 in the 2015 draft. Was so hyped when Toronto selected Marner.

Would also like to include the home opener against Rangers 2016-17, which was my first game live. Skinner scored two and a half goal (shot it and it touched Bickell in front of the goal). Everyone believed it was a hattrick and I got to throw the give away-cap.

Svechhammer

THIS is hockey?
Jun 8, 2017
A couple moments here are easy

1 - Brian Bickell scoring the GWG in the shootout in his last game
2 - Jorge Alves getting ice time as an emergency goalie in Tampa

Some things are bigger than the game, and these were 2 huge moments

Joe McGrath

Oct 29, 2009
A couple moments here are easy

1 - Brian Bickell scoring the GWG in the shootout in his last game
2 - Jorge Alves getting ice time as an emergency goalie in Tampa

Some things are bigger than the game, and these were 2 huge moments

These are two things that not all coaches would allow to happen, which is why it’s baffling to me what a POS Peters turned out to be.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad