Winnipeg WCF games aren't selling out

Status
Not open for further replies.

Pens x

Oct 8, 2016
If this is true then it is absolutely pathetic and the team should be relocated..again. Shame on them for failing to fill an AHL size arena. Go Vegas.

TomasHertlsRooster

Don’t say eye test when you mean points
May 14, 2012
Fremont, CA
If this is true then it is absolutely pathetic and the team should be relocated..again. Shame on them for failing to fill an AHL size arena. Go Vegas.

Winnipeg could ice an AHL team, like literally copy and paste an AHL roster, and they would still fill more seats than Pittsburgh did before Sidney Crosby. Pick your battles wisely.

Joey Moss

Aug 29, 2008
Has this been reported by anyone else other than Steve Simmons?

He's known to try to stir things up, wouldn't be surprised if he made it up.

Fandlauer

Apr 23, 2013
Ottawa unless it becomes a disaster
Has this been reported by anyone else other than Steve Simmons?

He's known to try to stir things up, wouldn't be surprised if he made it up.

Ian Mendes was talking about it on TSN radio today. There are others on Twitter as well. It isn't some grand conspiracy. There were tickets available on Ticket Master at puck drop and maybe 100-200 empty seats.

darkjet

Jan 11, 2013
Holy overreaction. If any tickets are left we are talking less then 1% of the capacity. Every single team sells their tickets that were reserved for opposing team/nhl etc shortly before game time. Still registers a sellout, it' only a story that is grossly misrepresented, because it's Winnipeg.

Torontonian

Jun 24, 2013
Toronto
How expensive are the tickets in Winnipeg? I would imagine if Toronto was in the 3rd round they would prob be 500 to 600$ for the nosebleeds.

cneely

Jan 6, 2005
How expensive are the tickets in Winnipeg? I would imagine if Toronto was in the 3rd round they would prob be 500 to 600$ for the nosebleeds.

Nosebleeds are somewhere around 400, up to 800 for good seats.
I'd love to go, but that's too rich for my blood.

Reactions: Viktor Vaughn

rubikscube

Oct 27, 2017
Weinerpeg
Jesus Toronto media is brutal.

Not only is every game sold out already (with a waiting list), theres 20k outside the building and every AWAY game the MTS center is half full.

Maybe theres some technicality where re-sell sites picked them up and they didn't get re-sold but its blatantly untrue that they're not selling out

Reactions: ujju2

Drytoast

Sep 27, 2017
Jets have some of the highest priced tickets in this years playoffs if memory serves correct. They don't NEED to charge that much and I think they are really just testing the market to see what the max people will pay is. Seriously doubt this price gouge remains any longer than this year.

giphy.webp

The entire purpose of every franchise is to make money.

It's not the playoff ticket prices you should be concerned with. It's regular season ticket prices.

You are a Canadian market with no other pro sport competition. No basketball team, no baseball team. This is where you get your sports entertainment. You should be paying premium for it.

But the question here isn't if you will pay these ticket prices now...in the playoffs, during exciting times. That's the easiest sell possible. (unless you are in Ottawa)

The question will become "will you continue to pay higher season ticket prices when there is a down turn and the team isn't doing so great?"

Prices never down, they only go up.

Skipee

Mar 27, 2010
I think the bigger issue is the empty section of Platinum seats every single Leafs game behind the players bench. The camera shows the puck drop there and there's 14 rows of empty seats because people are doing business deals instead of, you know, being there to watch the game.

Reactions: 204hockey

TomasHertlsRooster

Don’t say eye test when you mean points
May 14, 2012
Fremont, CA
NHL 1995-96 team attendance at hockeydb.com

Take a look at this, guy. Winnipeg had the worst attendance in the league before they were moved. So clearly, the on ice product matters to Winnipeg.

Take a look at this, guy.

NHL 2003-04 team attendance at hockeydb.com

Winnipeg sold 11,316 tickets in a 15,393 seat arena. 73.5% attendance. Worst in the NHL.

Pittsburgh sold 11,877 tickets in a 16,940 seat arena. 70.1% attendance. Worst in the NHL.

Also, you’re looking at very old numbers for Winnipeg. The current fan base is f***ing crazy and given the white out street rallies that occur in Winnipeg, I have no doubt they would support a terrible team a lot better than Pittsburgh supported their pre-Crosby teams.

darkjet

Jan 11, 2013
giphy.webp

The entire purpose of every franchise is to make money.

You are a Canadian market with no other pro sport competition. No basketball team, no baseball team. This is where you get your sports entertainment. You should be paying premium for it.

But the question here isn't if you will pay these ticket prices now...in the playoffs, during exciting times. That's the easiest sell possible. (unless you are in Ottawa)

The question will become "will you continue to pay higher season ticket prices when there is a down turn and the team isn't doing so great?"

Prices never down, they only go up.
We sign contracts for 5 years at a time for our season tickets. Built into these contracts are maximum increases in season seat price per year. they have increased the maximum percent almost every year since coming back. so no. next year for example they can' just Jack the season seat price more than the prescribed maximum amount.

kladorf2005

Apr 20, 2018
To everyone saying that fans "better support that team" and "need to sell tickets to make money", I have a newsfalsh for you: the revenue generated by sports teams these days is primarily from TV contracts, not from ticket sales. Like, orders of magnitude higher from the TV deals.

GoJetsGo55

Apr 14, 2009
Winnipeg, MB
Steve Simmonds irritates me whenever I see his big dumb face show up anywhere but to see it attached to that moronic message is twice as irritating.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad