Winnipeg to host 2019 World Juniors?

Deedog

Nov 27, 2015
A guaranteed 20 million is ridiculous. They priced themselves out of mid sized cities. Let Montreal and Toronto have it every year. No winnipegger will shell out 100 bucks to watch Belarus play Denmark!!

Mortimer Snerd

You kids get off my lawn!
Sponsor
Jun 10, 2014
Charge reasonable prices I might take it in.... Charge Toronto prices... forgetaboutit.

IIRC that 1999 WJC was the most financially successful up to that time. It put the WJC on the map as a big event. Ticket pricing would have to vary by game. All Canada games would be worth more than games with any other teams. USA games would draw well and so would PO games. Other round robin games would have to be priced lower and still wouldn't draw very well. Adding it up I think 20 mil is probably a little high even with a cut from concessions. I don't know if there is any other income streams that might be included. TV? Advertising? They might be able to get to the 20 mil if they can count all of those things but ticket sales I think would have a hard time getting much over 10 mil. But then I am a known tightwad. Maybe they could charge enough for the Canada games to get there.

Jetsfan87

Aug 24, 2015
Ontario
That would be awesome. I got tickets through work (we build skate sharpeners) and went to the gold medal game in Toronto a few years ago (when Domi ruled his dads old stomping grounds) and it was the best game/atmosphere I have ever seen.

Gm0ney

Unicorns salient
Oct 12, 2011
Winnipeg
You could make some good money, I think. There are 31 total games in the tournament, including relegation games. 4 round robin games for Canada, 4 for the US. Those would be sold out, big money games. If your gate averaged $650K per game you'd hit $20M. 20 games at MTSC with 15000 tickets, and 11 games at another facility (Brandon? 5k). That's 355,000 tickets at an average price of $56.34. Of course there are expenses and profit, so it'd end up being probably $100/ticket average.

Is there a limit to how much we'll spend on hockey in Winnipeg? By 2019 the Jets should be at least making the playoffs. How much extra hockey money will we have sitting around? I'll have about -$2000... :sarcasm:

Aavco Cup

"I can make you cry in this room"
Sep 5, 2013
Don't they sell these now as event packages? In other words you have to buy every game at the MTS Centre or the Keystone Centre.

Aavco Cup

Sep 5, 2013
2019 is when we're winning the Cup. Will Chipman send the Jets out on the road for two weeks and jeopardize it?

The league seems to do it to us anyways a couple times a year. We just won't get that one game at home between the east and the west coast that year ;)

sipowicz

The thrill is gone
Mar 16, 2011
Don't see how the world junior tournament could be successful with two pro teams in the Jets and Moose here now, too many scheduling issues and with pro hockey back who cares about junior hockey!

DEANYOUNGBLOOD17

May 10, 2011
If Winnipeg gets the WJC it will be the end of the tradition of Jet/Moose game on NY Eve.

On that note...... We should have the first dbl header Moose game at noon and jets game aT 7 pm on New Years

Or Jet Game at 7 pm on New Years Eve and Moose game at noon on jan 1 st.

Jets4Life

Dec 25, 2003
Westward Ho, Alberta
Don't see how the world junior tournament could be successful with two pro teams in the Jets and Moose here now, too many scheduling issues and with pro hockey back who cares about junior hockey!

It won't be successful. The City would be crazy to submit a bid, while the Jets and Moose are here. Winnipeg does not have the population base or the disposable income to support the tourney. In 2012, Edmonton and Calgary barely sold out the significant games, as tickets are priced ridiculously high. The only place the WJC will work in Canada is either Montreal, Toronto, or Vancouver.

Samcanadian

Dec 13, 2011
It won't be successful. The City would be crazy to submit a bid, while the Jets and Moose are here. Winnipeg does not have the population base or the disposable income to support the tourney. In 2012, Edmonton and Calgary barely sold out the significant games, as tickets are priced ridiculously high. The only place the WJC will work in Canada is either Montreal, Toronto, or Vancouver.

I remember going to the semi final game (Slovakia vs. Russia) when it was here in Winnipeg and the place was half full. Obviously it wasn't Canada in the game so the attendance was to be expected, but I'm still wondering if it'd even be worth it for True North to consider.

heilongjetsfan

Jul 4, 2011
A quick trip to Wikipedia tells us that the most recent WJHC had a combined attendance of 215000 spread over 30 games.

It's a weird narrative that Toronto or Montreal are the only cities that could support the World Jr's. If that's the case, what other city on earth could possibly hope to succeed? The two biggest cities in the country that loves hockey the most... that's not the standard you need to meet, that's the apex of the vortex of the potential for success.

Aavco Cup

Sep 5, 2013
A quick trip to Wikipedia tells us that the most recent WJHC had a combined attendance of 215000 spread over 30 games.

It's a weird narrative that Toronto or Montreal are the only cities that could support the World Jr's. If that's the case, what other city on earth could possibly hope to succeed? The two biggest cities in the country that loves hockey the most... that's not the standard you need to meet, that's the apex of the vortex of the potential for success.

Had horrible attendance but the ticket prices were outrageous

heilongjetsfan

Jul 4, 2011
Had horrible attendance but the ticket prices were outrageous

You think there might be a correlation there?
Going back over the past 10 years, 200k tickets is actually pretty decent. If I remember right the Alberta WJHC was over 450k, but nobody else has even come close to that.
I agree with the idea that Winnipeggers' hockey dollar might be getting stretched a little too much by an event like this, but it's not an event that's out of reach for "poor little Winnipeg," either.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad