Winnipeg Sun: Jets, Mark Chipman, call for help as attendance decreases

Stumbledore

Jan 1, 2018
Canada
Chipman made attendance the issue, not HFBoards, imo.
Chipman held a press conference 10 months ago. HFBoards made the issue into something bigger that has dragged on for almost a year.

And, by the way, the press conference addressed the fact that Jets tickets are purchased by the business community at a much lower level than other NHL teams. It was noted at the time that this was due to the pandemic and how many businesses went under or are barely hanging on now.

BMN

Jun 2, 2021
I think it has more to do with the utter randomness of the playoffs then anything else, not the weather.

Also who *legitimately* cares about their being *a* Canadian cup winner drought, and not simply their own team's drought? Do you actually think that someone from Toronto or Vancouver is going to pat the other on the back because they brought a cup back to the motherland like this is some sort of national project thing? Hell no, both of them hate the other!

It's so weird the little dog mentality Canadian hockey fans of a certain ilk have towards there being a Canadian cup drought like Canada should have a god given right to have a cup, and I have not at all seen this in Jays fans or Raptors fans pre-2019, it strictly comes from frankly pathetic nationalists who wrap up their entire existence in the NHL having been 'taken over' and conspiring via Bettman's actions to lock out Canadian teams from ever gaining a foothold.
I don't mean this in a dismissive nor complimentary way but I find the more casual the fan, the more you find the "Bettman is keeping the Cup from Canada blah blah blah" whining. Not just "casual" in the sense that they aren't as informed but also in the sense that their rooting interest is very casual. Think your 70 year old mom who catches a few minutes of a game here or there and brings it up during the Christmas visit.

Someone who actually emotionally rides the ups and downs with the Montreal Canadiens really isn't interested in whether or not the Winnipeg Jets win the Stanley Cup. In fact, if anything (as I've suggested in another thread), I think the really hardcore fans of Canadian teams think it would be extra-awesome if their team not only won the Cup but got to claim the "first Canadian franchise to win it in __ years" mantle to boot. If another Canadian team wins it, it's like "damn, we could have had bragging rights!"

And in some cases, of course, there are straight up rivalries. I could be 100% wrong (and actual fans of these teams can jump in and correct me if I'm wrong) but I'm fairly certain 85-95% of Flames fans would rather jump in a puddle of snot than cheer the Oilers in a Cup Final no matter how southern the opponent is.

Reactions: Ted Hoffman

Melrose Munch

Mar 18, 2007
I think it has more to do with the utter randomness of the playoffs then anything else, not the weather.

Also who *legitimately* cares about their being *a* Canadian cup winner drought, and not simply their own team's drought? Do you actually think that someone from Toronto or Vancouver is going to pat the other on the back because they brought a cup back to the motherland like this is some sort of national project thing? Hell no, both of them hate the other!

It's so weird the little dog mentality Canadian hockey fans of a certain ilk have towards there being a Canadian cup drought like Canada should have a god given right to have a cup, and I have not at all seen this in Jays fans or Raptors fans pre-2019, it strictly comes from frankly pathetic nationalists who wrap up their entire existence in the NHL having been 'taken over' and conspiring via Bettman's actions to lock out Canadian teams from ever gaining a foothold.
That is a lot of hockey fans nowadays. Look at the sports declining youth numbers. Gotta fight that.

In seriousness, your point about nationalism may be valid, but there were more American teams before 1993 and Canadian teams still won. Free Agency, a decline in youth hockey, toxic media, etc. They have all had as much an impact as the playoff team selection.

Reactions: Devonator

Melrose Munch

Mar 18, 2007
Not picking on just the two of you, but you're the two most recent examples.

There's a lot of discussion about "everyone", or "southern fans" or "western Canadian fans" as if there are some monolithic blocks.

May I make a humble suggestion: don't bother arguing against some mysterious "them". If you have an argument or point to make, make it. If you disagree with what a specific poster is saying, disagree with that poster.

But otherwise - I am a hockey fan living in western Canada. I am not however going to bother defending what "everyone" says. In particular I'm not going to defend the "hypocrisy" of the mysterious "everyone".
Fair enough.
I am serious, man. You didn't read my post nor dissect the question I was asking.

Is your beef that Western Canadian fans that don't live in Winnipeg need to be evenhanded and come after Winnipeg the same way they come after Nashville? Do I need to hold everyone in Atlanta, Nashville and Florida to that same standard when it comes to Carolina?

Again, I see two sides razzing each other. @Salsero1 is implying there's some mythical "third side" making it "unfair" by always taking one side (the Canadian one, or Winnipeg one, or whatever). I want to know who this "third side" is.
He probably means hockey fans as a whole online, not just hfboards. I can see it from that point of view.

There is some bias but at the end of the day, not all fans are like that, I can admit.

Reactions: BMN

edog37

Jan 21, 2007
Pittsburgh
Jets (in either the Jets/Coyotes franchise, or the Thrashers/Jets franchise) have won nothing outside of the WHA. But then again since 1972, what have the Leafs won? The Canucks? Sabres? Or going to franchises newer than 1972, but still many years - the Panthers? Sharks? WIld? Senators? CBJ?

And please tell me how a market can be hypocritical.
When it calls for a team in a non-traditional market to be moved while having its own attendance issues.

edog37

Jan 21, 2007
Pittsburgh
My point was that serious players don't care about things like weather, shopping or nightlife. All they care about is playing where they will get the best opportunity. This might be Winnipeg or it might not.

If a player refuses to sign in Winnipeg despite it being his best opportunity to play and win, I have to conclude that such player doesn't care about winning. Or at best winning is secondary to lifestyle. We don't need these type of players on our team.
And again, I ask…when has consistent winning been associated with Winnipeg?

Melrose Munch

Mar 18, 2007
I think Winnipeg will either bounce back or this will become more serious. I see why they didn't rebuild.

Last edited:

Jets4Life

Dec 25, 2003
Westward Ho, Alberta
In seriousness, your point about nationalism may be valid, but there were more American teams before 1993 and Canadian teams still won. Free Agency, a decline in youth hockey, toxic media, etc. They have all had as much an impact as the playoff team selection.
Actually, the league has added 9 American teams since 1993, and lost one Canadian team. The only time there was a greater percentage of American teams was between 1967-79.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad