Winnipeg nearly bought the Coyotes in 2010

Jets4Life

Dec 25, 2003
Westward Ho, Alberta
I am super bored and came across this thread. It's such an interesting read for fans who followed the Return of the Jets saga. In 2010, it seems the Jets nearly landed the Coyotes and brought them back to Manitoba. It also mentions negotiations with Atlanta. Very interesting read.

I hope this is within forum rules, but I'll post the link. I think many of you will love the read, and enjoy the trip down memory lane:

http://hfboards.mandatory.com/showthread.php?t=756363&highlight=winnipeg

Critical Mass

Feb 6, 2011
That was a nerve wracking time as a Winnipeg hockey fan.

Glendale city council had the power to keep the Coyotes by agreeing to an "arena management fee" (subsidy to offset NHL's losses) while the NHL continued to try to find a sucker upon which to offload the team and associated losses.

I spent a huge amount of time following the saga. I spent months following Glendale city council's regular meetings. The stakes were huge. The political maneuvering was dramatic. The impropriety was dramatic. Glendale and Arizona were in financial ruins from the 2008 economic collapse, yet they were redirecting funding from libraries and infrastructure in an effort to keep the team so as not to have their publicly funded arena sit as a white elephant without a tenant.

Waiting for the next council meeting agenda was nail biting. Watching live feeds of council meetings was highly dramatic and entertaining.

HF Boards was, hands down, the best source of information on the entire situation. Politics were analyzed. Reports were vetted. For months, this site had real time breaking news of gigantic proportions. HF Boards was leaps and bounds ahead of the mainstream media. I'm sure many media outlets used the site as a source for breaking news and analysis.

Since the Thrashers moved to Winnipeg, I've slowed down with respect to watching Glendale politics. However, it appears that the situation still provides a great deal of insight to the ugly side of business and local politics.

TheDeuce

Halak, Ryder, and a second.
Feb 22, 2009
That was a nerve wracking time as a Winnipeg hockey fan.

Glendale city council had the power to keep the Coyotes by agreeing to an "arena management fee" (subsidy to offset NHL's losses) while the NHL continued to try to find a sucker upon which to offload the team and associated losses.

I spent a huge amount of time following the saga. I spent months following Glendale city council's regular meetings. The stakes were huge. The political maneuvering was dramatic. The impropriety was dramatic. Glendale and Arizona were in financial ruins from the 2008 economic collapse, yet they were redirecting funding from libraries and infrastructure in an effort to keep the team so as not to have their publicly funded arena sit as a white elephant without a tenant.

Waiting for the next council meeting agenda was nail biting. Watching live feeds of council meetings was highly dramatic and entertaining.

HF Boards was, hands down, the best source of information on the entire situation. Politics were analyzed. Reports were vetted. For months, this site had real time breaking news of gigantic proportions. HF Boards was leaps and bounds ahead of the mainstream media. I'm sure many media outlets used the site as a source for breaking news and analysis.

Since the Thrashers moved to Winnipeg, I've slowed down with respect to watching Glendale politics. However, it appears that the situation still provides a great deal of insight to the ugly side of business and local politics.

Jetsowner was the best source of information on all things ROTJ. True North was so close to having the Coyotes it wasn't even funny.

True story: Mark Chipman was in New York when Glendale City Council was meeting to decide what to do with the Coyotes. He was on his cell phone but lost the signal when they entered a tunnel. By the time he got out and had a cell signal again he found out that the Council was proceeding with their subsidy.

m.

jetsforever

Dec 14, 2013
Would have been fitting to bring the old Jets back.
Oh well, we still got a team :D

mondo3

Jun 4, 2011
Anaheim
From what I recall, in 2010 both Phoenix had a better roster than Atlanta, although both had a poor prospect pool. I think we'd be in essentially the same development curve regardless of which team came to Wpg.

TheDeuce

Feb 22, 2009
Would have been fitting to bring the old Jets back.
Oh well, we still got a team :D

That would mean that Atlanta would still have been in the league - it would have been nice to have gotten the first Jets win against Atlanta. IIRC the one season that the League had both Winnipeg and Atlanta in it Atlanta swept the season series against the Jets.

m.

Bristo

The Oracle
Mar 24, 2013
Looking back, I'm glad we got the team we did, and not the Coyotes. I think that team was in even worse shape than the Thrashers were when we got them.

Brominator

Sep 12, 2009
WPG
That would mean that Atlanta would still have been in the league - it would have been nice to have gotten the first Jets win against Atlanta. IIRC the one season that the League had both Winnipeg and Atlanta in it Atlanta swept the season series against the Jets.

m.

I checked and you are right. Flames went 4-0 against Jets in 79-80.

If the coyotes moved to Winnipeg, there's a good chance the Thrashers would have moved anyways in 2011. Maybe they would have landed in Quebec and the realignment would have never happened...

Daximus

Wow, what a terrific audience.
Sponsor
Oct 11, 2014
Five Hills
Looking back, I'm glad we got the team we did, and not the Coyotes. I think that team was in even worse shape than the Thrashers were when we got them.

They made the playoffs in 2011 and the conference finals in 2012. I Actually think Chevy might have been better at building them then they were. But that likely means no Schief or Trouba. Either way we should have probably blown up either team the moment we got them.

Channelcat

Unhinged user
Feb 8, 2013
Canada
I checked and you are right. Flames went 4-0 against Jets in 79-80.

If the coyotes moved to Winnipeg, there's a good chance the Thrashers would have moved anyways in 2011. Maybe they would have landed in Quebec and the realignment would have never happened...

Pretty much every team went 4-0 against the Jets ;) But how about Tuxedo Night!!!!:cheers::cheers:

Guardian17

Strong & Free
Aug 29, 2010
Winnipeg
Jetsowner was the best source of information on all things ROTJ. True North was so close to having the Coyotes it wasn't even funny.

True story: Mark Chipman was in New York when Glendale City Council was meeting to decide what to do with the Coyotes. He was on his cell phone but lost the signal when they entered a tunnel. By the time he got out and had a cell signal again he found out that the Council was proceeding with their subsidy.

m.

I was on Jetsowner at the that time as well.

I do not miss watching those crazy Glendale City Council meetings.

Gm0ney

Unicorns salient
Oct 12, 2011
Winnipeg
They made the playoffs in 2011 and the conference finals in 2012. I Actually think Chevy might have been better at building them then they were. But that likely means no Schief or Trouba. Either way we should have probably blown up either team the moment we got them.

Definitely no Scheifele - Phoenix didn't pick until 20th, and with their scouts running the draft it would've likely been the same dismal crop of prospects chosen.

If TNSE had canned Tippett then they probably could've smoothed things over and signed Turris, though.

Would Chevy have gone out and grabbed Mike Smith as a UFA on July 1? Would TNSE have kept Sean Burke and other Phoenix assistants?

Core of: Turris (22), OEL (20), Yandle (24), Vrbata (30), Doan (34), Hanzal (24). Drafted: Connor Murphy. In the system: Boedker, Stone.

vs.

Core of: Ladd (25), Little (23), Wheeler (25), Kane (20), Byfuglien (26), Enstrom (26), Bogosian (21). Drafted: Scheifele. In the system: Redmond, Postma.

Jets4Life

Dec 25, 2003
Westward Ho, Alberta
Pretty much every team went 4-0 against the Jets ;) But how about Tuxedo Night!!!!:cheers::cheers:

Too young to remember it, but looking at the Jets 1980-81 record, the NHL must have stripped them bare after the WHA merger. The Jets went 30 regular season games without a win, and at one point their record was 1-25-7. We finally beat the Colorado Rockies before Christmas to break the streak. The Jets would finish the season with 9-57-14 record, and unless I am mistaken, were only one of two teams (The 74-75 Capitals finished 8-67-5) not to win 10 games in the post-expansion era. We did however win the season series against Colorado (2-1-1).

For the 1980 Calendar year, the Jets were an abysmal 10-55-14.

YWGinYYZ

Jul 3, 2011
Toronto
I went to many games in that pathetic year. I saw one win over about 15 or so games I attended. :laugh: Yes: the Jets were stripped bare when they entered the NHL.

TheDeuce

Feb 22, 2009
Too young to remember it, but looking at the Jets 1980-81 record, the NHL must have stripped them bare after the WHA merger. The Jets went 30 regular season games without a win, and at one point their record was 1-25-7. We finally beat the Colorado Rockies before Christmas to break the streak. The Jets would finish the season with 9-57-14 record, and unless I am mistaken, were only one of two teams (The 74-75 Capitals finished 8-67-5) not to win 10 games in the post-expansion era. We did however win the season series against Colorado (2-1-1).

For the 1980 Calendar year, the Jets were an abysmal 10-55-14.

The bolded is a myth that won't die. The Jets, by 1979 were a shadow of their former selves. The last Avco Cup win was very lucky indeed.

Take a look at the last Jets roster and tell me what's there that would have made the Jets competitive in the NHL?

m.

Jets4Life

Dec 25, 2003
Westward Ho, Alberta
The bolded is a myth that won't die. The Jets, by 1979 were a shadow of their former selves. The last Avco Cup win was very lucky indeed.

Take a look at the last Jets roster and tell me what's there that would have made the Jets competitive in the NHL?

m.

They did not have a Championship roster like they did going into the 77-78 season, but still had some good talent:

-Kent Nilsson
-Terry Ruskowski
-Rich Preston
-Barry Long
-Kim Clackson

All claimed by the NHL teams. At least we got to keep Lindstrom, Lukowich, Sullivan, Sjoberg, and Hull. The damage was done in 78' when the Rangers stole Ulf Nilsson and Anders Hedberg.

If only the Jets had picked Michel Goulet or Kevin Lowe over Jimmy Mann, and of course, made a deal to acquire Gretzky from Indianapolis, history may have been much different.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad