Winnipeg Media

Jun 15, 2013
Winnipeg
I keep reading over and over again of “the Winnipeg media” asking innapropriate questions” to Bedard.

I’ve yet to read what reporters actually did so.

Any comments or links would be appreciated. I’m sure our many reputable local reporters don’t appreciated being lumped in with what individual (individuals?) are responsible.

My first thoughts were this was Paul Friesen. A shame when your reporting has been so atrocious over the years that you’re the first name that comes to mind when yellow journalism is the topic at hand.

Last edited:
Reactions: Dirtbag151

jetsv2

Jan 13, 2013
I keep reading over and over again of “the Winnipeg media” asking innapropriate questions” to Bedard.

I’ve yet to read what reporters actually did so.

Any comments or links would be appreciated. I’m sure our many reputable local reporters don’t appreciated being lumped in with what individual (individuals?) are responsible.

My first thoughts were this was Paul Friesen. A shame when your reporting has been so atrocious over the years that you’re the first name that comes to mind when yellow journalism is the topic at hand.
The initial question was asked by Sean Reynolds and the two followup questions were asked by Friesen.

Reactions: Arthur Fonzarelli

Gabe Kupari

Jul 11, 2013
Winter is Coming
Honestly I listened to it and while the first moments are cringe, it wasn't like they were asking inappropriate questions. I mean, you gotta ask don't you? Thats their job

Paul friesen tho is a joke and has been for years. I'd be ok with him being banned from any press conferences or scrums as he's just embarrassing. Renny works for sportsnet, always looking for negativity

Last edited:

tbcwpg

Jan 25, 2011
Honestly I listened to it and while the first moments are cringe, it wasn't like they were asking inappropriate questions. I mean, you gotta ask don't you? Thats their job

Paul friesen tho is a joke and has been for years. I'd be ok with him being banned from any press conferences or scrums as he's just embarrassing. Renny works for sportsnet, always looking for negativity

I think Reynolds was actually asking a decent question but the next two from Friesen were unnecessary.

tbcwpg

Jan 25, 2011
Media is media and have nothing to do with the club. Not sure why Chipman feels he needed to apologize. It leads credence to how Chipman controls almost all media in Winnipeg and what they are allowed to post

It doesn't lead credence to that, it leads credence to the fact that the line of questioning Paul Friesen made makes the Winnipeg look like idiots and the Winnipeg Jets media is going to be tied to the team, at least optically.

jetsmooseice

Let Chevy Cook
Feb 20, 2020
Kind of weird how people have such a hate-on for Friesen.

I mean, the entire hockey internet talks about this for days, no problem. Reynolds asks about it at the press conference, no problem. Friesen asks a follow up question, suddenly it's a crisis. Give me a break.

I guess people are so used to the local sports media basically being the extended PR departments for the home teams that everyone gets up in arms whenever an uncomfortable question is asked. Remember when Scott Billeck was effectively frozen out of Jets press conferences after writing a pretty innocuous column about Hellebuyck that he ended up taking very personally? Billeck had to issue a grovelling apology just so he could keep doing his job. I'm sure he learned his lesson that day about not biting the hand that (indirectly) feeds him.

jetsv2

Jan 13, 2013

I mean, the entire hockey internet talks about this for days, no problem. Reynolds asks about it at the press conference, no problem. Friesen asks a follow up question, suddenly it's a crisis. Give me a break.

I guess people are so used to the local sports media basically being the extended PR departments for the home teams that everyone gets up in arms whenever an uncomfortable question is asked. Remember when Scott Billeck was effectively frozen out of Jets press conferences after writing a pretty innocuous column about Hellebuyck that he ended up taking very personally? Billeck had to issue a grovelling apology just so he could keep doing his job. I'm sure he learned his lesson that day about not biting the hand that (indirectly) feeds him.
I dont think you will find many people who agree with your description of the article Billeck wrote as innocuous. Im a Billeck fan but he strayed way out of his lane when he started mentioning Hellebuyck's child.

He essentially accused Hellebuyck of being a negligent father and regardless of how you feel somebody was handling the COVID pandemic a sports reporter has no business commenting on a player's family life and no reporter should be surprised if the team shuns them when they do.

Last edited by a moderator:

jetsmooseice

Let Chevy Cook
Feb 20, 2020
I dont think you will find many people who agree with your description of the article Billeck wrote as innocuous. Im a Billeck fan but he strayed way out of his lane when he started mentioning Hellebuyck's child.

He essentially accused Hellebuyck of being a negligent father and regardless of how you feel somebody was handling the COVID pandemic a sports reporter has no business commenting on a player's family life and no reporter should be surprised if the team shuns them when they do.
The comment was on Hellebuyck. Billeck mentioned Helle's family in passing and he took that as some kind of attack on his family. It was ridiculous. But it was helpful in that it made it clear who holds the power... Billeck was shut out and couldn't do his job until he grovelled to Hellebuyck/the Jets.

Honestly the safest career path for any media flack in this town is to just rewrite official press releases and never utter a critical word.

Jets4Life

Dec 25, 2003
Westward Ho, Alberta

It's one thing for a bunch of hockey fans, and even blogs mentioning the rumours. However, as a member of the media, Frieson should show a bit of class. I mean he is asking an 18 year old kid if a teammate slept with his mother. One would expect this from a tabloid magazine, but then again it is the Sun.

The comment was on Hellebuyck. Billeck mentioned Helle's family in passing and he took that as some kind of attack on his family. It was ridiculous. But it was helpful in that it made it clear who holds the power... Billeck was shut out and couldn't do his job until he grovelled to Hellebuyck/the Jets.

Honestly the safest career path for any media flack in this town is to just rewrite official press releases and never utter a critical word.

Do you happen to work for the media, in any capacity?

jetsv2

Jan 13, 2013

He implied Hellebuyck was endangering his son's life, that is more than mentioning his family in passing and that's way out of bounds for a sports reporter.

WpgSteve

Nov 5, 2018
I think it would have been better not to have asked any questions about it. Since when do professional reporters ask about internet meme jokes?

I guess you can't really blame them when all their audience wants is click bait trash.

jetsmooseice

Let Chevy Cook
Feb 20, 2020
He implied Hellebuyck was endangering his son's life, that is more than mentioning his family in passing and that's way out of bounds for a sports reporter.

Billeck's words... "If Hellebuyck contracts COVID for a second time, he’s likely going to be just fine. He’s fully vaccinated. But what about those around him, including his infant son?"

Hellebuyck had every right to disagree and even be annoyed, but IMO he overreacted by refusing to answer questions from him anymore.

Anyway, the point is that Hellebuyck won in the end. The unspoken deal between sportswriters and the team is basically this... "we let you rub shoulders with our players, you get to go to LA and Miami in the winter, you get to eat the press box buffet... in exchange, you better not say anything to piss us off"

I mean, the Jets beat is a pretty desirable plum. Look at McIntyre, he went from covering the dregs of society in the courts to jetting off with the Jets. He's probably more into the travel than anything else, barely a month goes by without him writing about favourite destinations, road arenas, etc. He is not the kind of guy who is going to utter a critical word about anything.

Eyeseeing

Fagheddaboudit
Sponsor
Feb 24, 2015
Billeck's words... "If Hellebuyck contracts COVID for a second time, he’s likely going to be just fine. He’s fully vaccinated. But what about those around him, including his infant son?"

Hellebuyck had every right to disagree and even be annoyed, but IMO he overreacted by refusing to answer questions from him anymore.

Anyway, the point is that Hellebuyck won in the end. The unspoken deal between sportswriters and the team is basically this... "we let you rub shoulders with our players, you get to go to LA and Miami in the winter, you get to eat the press box buffet... in exchange, you better not say anything to piss us off"

I mean, the Jets beat is a pretty desirable plum. Look at McIntyre, he went from covering the dregs of society in the courts to jetting off with the Jets. He's probably more into the travel than anything else, barely a month goes by without him writing about favourite destinations, road arenas, etc. He is not the kind of guy who is going to utter a critical word about anything.
Those comments are out of bounds for anyone yet a good part of our society was making comments like that about their friends and family and some people to the point of rattling their neighbours to authorities.
The media was one of the main drivers for the unprecedented hysteria over this.
Why would anyone be surprised by the question????

Whileee

May 29, 2010
My issue with most of the local media that cover the Jets is that they provide no useful information, don't analyze at all, and instead focus on trying to stir up controversy. Remember, this is the press corps that carried water for Laine and blamed the vets, even after it was clear that Laine was casual about training and expected first line treatment (slagging Little along the way). This is the press corps that praised Dubois as the rightful team leader (instead of Scheifele), even during a season in which Dubois was reportedly telling people in the organization he didn't want to stay. Friesen and a few others are vindictive and, frankly, lazy. I ignore all except Murat Ates (a class of his own) and Wiebe (informative and balanced and diligent). It's unfortunate that Wiebe teams up with Reynolds for their show, because I can't listen to Reynolds' ranting and bad takes.

I'd add a huge plug for Minuk and the Illegal Curve crew. Minuk is a unique source of information about prospects, and the best news compiler around.

Hustler is fine and reasonable, but he too often has Billeck or Hamilton on re: the Jets, and it's a ton of gambling talk and ads.

WpgSteve

Nov 5, 2018
Sean Reynolds aggravates me at press conferences. He always asks these long winded, leading questions, trying to confirm his own story line.

Why not start with something simple like: "What did you see out there coach?"

Last edited:

Board Bard

Dane-O-Mite
Jun 7, 2014
My issue with most of the local media that cover the Jets is that they provide no useful information, don't analyze at all, and instead focus on trying to stir up controversy. Remember, this is the press corps that carried water for Laine and blamed the vets, even after it was clear that Laine was casual about training and expected first line treatment (slagging Little along the way). This is the press corps that praised Dubois as the rightful team leader (instead of Scheifele), even during a season in which Dubois was reportedly telling people in the organization he didn't want to stay. Friesen and a few others are vindictive and, frankly, lazy. I ignore all except Murat Ates (a class of his own) and Wiebe (informative and balanced and diligent). It's unfortunate that Wiebe teams up with Reynolds for their show, because I can't listen to Reynolds' ranting and bad takes.

I'd add a huge plug for Minuk and the Illegal Curve crew. Minuk is a unique source of information about prospects, and the best news compiler around.

Hustler is fine and reasonable, but he too often has Billeck or Hamilton on re: the Jets, and it's a ton of gambling talk and ads.

Let me say before I start the rant that it's good to have all of the following kicking around Winnipeg's sports scene, in particular the Jets. Despite the faults, they all contribute something worthwhile to the infoverse, some more than others.

Murat Ates -- He's fine if you want to know what kind of doilies a Jet prefers, or whose mother's friend made a player a sandwich 15 years ago. With all the knowledge he has about analytics one might expect him to have more incisive, perceptive, cogent opinions about actual hockey, and worthwhile criticisms, but my experience of him (some written, mostly podcast) is largely puff and blandness. Too much of a company man to be taken seriously, he is too often a wasted resource.

Winnipeg Sports Talk -- Hustler, The Great Interruptor. Must have been born in a barn because he has no manners, as demonstrated by the way he frequently interrupts his guests. They'll be making what sounds like an interesting point and, instead of waiting until they finish, he'll rudely jump in mid-sentence, even to the point of shouting them down, to inject his threadbare take (for the third time that episode). The interesting point then dies on the vine. He's way too far over the homer line even if he does occasionally mildly criticize. His pal Remis is semi-professional, childish, and his lispy nasally delivery is chalk on a blackboard, but even he is occasionally worthwhile. Winnipeg Sports Talk does get the best and farthest-flung guests of any local production, and that's pretty impressive. And you've got to be impressed with the way they're turning their desperation-measure podcast, born of the 1290 fiasco, into something of a tentacled local industry.

Illegal Curve -- The website's okay, good info, good job on that. The podcasts less so. While it's great to have after games and every Saturday, it's limited by some of its personnel. Dave Minuk -- Mr. Again. Kevin Chevyldayoff says "again" way too often and it makes him sound stupid. Minuk says "again" ten times more than Chevyldayoff, and the stupid factor grows commensurately. He also has a smarmy underpinning that's irksome, though thankfully seldom displayed. Ezra Ginsburg -- Interruptor Jr. Another guy born in a barn. Whereas Hustler's interruptions at least stay generally on topic, Ginsburg will interrupt frequently for any ridiculous tangent, hijacking the podcast and nose-diving it to a boring, time-wasting non sequitur, often from his personal life. It's also irritating the way he keeps saying, "I think you'd agree..." He's obviously got some hockey knowledge, it's just too bad he sprays it around willy-nilly like flatulence. Drew Mindell -- Mr. No Nickname. No nickname because he doesn't do stupid crap on the air (or not often, anyway). By far the most polished and competent of the three, not necessarily technology-wise, but as the conductor of the flow and feel of an episode he does well. He's also less of a homer than his compadres, and that's always welcome. Really, I can't watch an episode without Mindell on it, which is to say an episode with only Minuk and Ginsburg on it. Thanks but no thanks. I did, though, watch a recent episode with Minuk and guest host Joe Pascucci, who rescued the day with insightful, to-the-point and realistic commentary. Maybe one day we'll see an episode with only Mindell and Pascucci. BTW IC, here's how to pronounce "swag": SWAG | Pronunciation in English

Scott Billeck and Mike McIntyre -- Peas in a pod. I don't read McIntyre because I don't subscribe to the Freep but he's too much a chucklebot on the air, as if that's supposed to be entertaining. Also irritating are his face-palm-worthy theories and his pet-dog act. Billeck is an average writer and a clumsy, halting speaker, almost as difficult to listen to as Remis. He'll start off in one direction but as soon as Hustler (inevitably) interrupts him with threadbare dissent, he'll agree and change tack. (It's tack, Hustler, not tact.)

Ken Wiebe -- Has anyone in all of history asked himself more questions than Wiebe does? JFC that's annoying. Just get to the point already. Balanced? Hahaha. He's as much a homer as Hustler is, his camouflage doesn't hide it. And he'll inform you of the same things everyone else on twitter is informing you of, except he'll make sure it's especially bland and fence-sitting. His stream of consciousness leads nowhere but Homerville.

Sean Reynolds -- Remember Jimmy from Seinfeld? "Jimmy likes Elaine." "Jimmy's getting angry." Reynolds is now referring to himself as third-person Renny. There is no more effective way for someone in an audio/video medium to project himself as a buffoon. Reynolds makes the occasional good point but often goes overboard with self-aggrandizing rants. Also adds more smarm to the local scene.

I've done the rest, now it's time for the best, in no particular order (you can put Mindell here too).

Ted Wyman -- Like a comfortable slipper, in print and video. Maybe a shade on the homer side of centre, it doesn't detract much from even-handed treatments. Delivers professionally and ably; if the Jets routinely did the same they'd be deep in the playoffs every year.

Paul Friesen -- Scourge of Homers. That's reason enough to like him. Salty, maybe, seasoned, yes, he should be appreciated for not toeing (not "towing") the company line and aiming criticism at worthy targets, but homers don't lean that way. A few niggles about his writing style but that's barely a blip on the report card. Like Wyman, on video he's cool, calm and collected. Unflusterable, you might say, which is a valuable trait for a reporter.

Jeff Hamilton -- Another Freeper I don't read so I'm limited to podcasts. Here he's terrific, coherent and logical, and capable of ranting in the same vein passionately but without Reynolds-like hysterics. If he has homeritis it's a negligible case, and that gives him an authoritative cache that practitioners like Wiebe can't imagine, never mind attain. I don't always agree with him but he's among the most watchable of local podcast guests.

DeepFrickinValue

Formally Ruffus
May 14, 2015
Let me say before I start the rant that it's good to have all of the following kicking around Winnipeg's sports scene, in particular the Jets. Despite the faults, they all contribute something worthwhile to the infoverse, some more than others.

Murat Ates -- He's fine if you want to know what kind of doilies a Jet prefers, or whose mother's friend made a player a sandwich 15 years ago. With all the knowledge he has about analytics one might expect him to have more incisive, perceptive, cogent opinions about actual hockey, and worthwhile criticisms, but my experience of him (some written, mostly podcast) is largely puff and blandness. Too much of a company man to be taken seriously, he is too often a wasted resource.

Winnipeg Sports Talk -- Hustler, The Great Interruptor. Must have been born in a barn because he has no manners, as demonstrated by the way he frequently interrupts his guests. They'll be making what sounds like an interesting point and, instead of waiting until they finish, he'll rudely jump in mid-sentence, even to the point of shouting them down, to inject his threadbare take (for the third time that episode). The interesting point then dies on the vine. He's way too far over the homer line even if he does occasionally mildly criticize. His pal Remis is semi-professional, childish, and his lispy nasally delivery is chalk on a blackboard, but even he is occasionally worthwhile. Winnipeg Sports Talk does get the best and farthest-flung guests of any local production, and that's pretty impressive. And you've got to be impressed with the way they're turning their desperation-measure podcast, born of the 1290 fiasco, into something of a tentacled local industry.

Illegal Curve -- The website's okay, good info, good job on that. The podcasts less so. While it's great to have after games and every Saturday, it's limited by some of its personnel. Dave Minuk -- Mr. Again. Kevin Chevyldayoff says "again" way too often and it makes him sound stupid. Minuk says "again" ten times more than Chevyldayoff, and the stupid factor grows commensurately. He also has a smarmy underpinning that's irksome, though thankfully seldom displayed. Ezra Ginsburg -- Interruptor Jr. Another guy born in a barn. Whereas Hustler's interruptions at least stay generally on topic, Ginsburg will interrupt frequently for any ridiculous tangent, hijacking the podcast and nose-diving it to a boring, time-wasting non sequitur, often from his personal life. It's also irritating the way he keeps saying, "I think you'd agree..." He's obviously got some hockey knowledge, it's just too bad he sprays it around willy-nilly like flatulence. Drew Mindell -- Mr. No Nickname. No nickname because he doesn't do stupid crap on the air (or not often, anyway). By far the most polished and competent of the three, not necessarily technology-wise, but as the conductor of the flow and feel of an episode he does well. He's also less of a homer than his compadres, and that's always welcome. Really, I can't watch an episode without Mindell on it, which is to say an episode with only Minuk and Ginsburg on it. Thanks but no thanks. I did, though, watch a recent episode with Minuk and guest host Joe Pascucci, who rescued the day with insightful, to-the-point and realistic commentary. Maybe one day we'll see an episode with only Mindell and Pascucci. BTW IC, here's how to pronounce "swag": SWAG | Pronunciation in English

Scott Billeck and Mike McIntyre -- Peas in a pod. I don't read McIntyre because I don't subscribe to the Freep but he's too much a chucklebot on the air, as if that's supposed to be entertaining. Also irritating are his face-palm-worthy theories and his pet-dog act. Billeck is an average writer and a clumsy, halting speaker, almost as difficult to listen to as Remis. He'll start off in one direction but as soon as Hustler (inevitably) interrupts him with threadbare dissent, he'll agree and change tack. (It's tack, Hustler, not tact.)

Ken Wiebe -- Has anyone in all of history asked himself more questions than Wiebe does? JFC that's annoying. Just get to the point already. Balanced? Hahaha. He's as much a homer as Hustler is, his camouflage doesn't hide it. And he'll inform you of the same things everyone else on twitter is informing you of, except he'll make sure it's especially bland and fence-sitting. His stream of consciousness leads nowhere but Homerville.

Sean Reynolds -- Remember Jimmy from Seinfeld? "Jimmy likes Elaine." "Jimmy's getting angry." Reynolds is now referring to himself as third-person Renny. There is no more effective way for someone in an audio/video medium to project himself as a buffoon. Reynolds makes the occasional good point but often goes overboard with self-aggrandizing rants. Also adds more smarm to the local scene.

I've done the rest, now it's time for the best, in no particular order (you can put Mindell here too).

Ted Wyman -- Like a comfortable slipper, in print and video. Maybe a shade on the homer side of centre, it doesn't detract much from even-handed treatments. Delivers professionally and ably; if the Jets routinely did the same they'd be deep in the playoffs every year.

Paul Friesen -- Scourge of Homers. That's reason enough to like him. Salty, maybe, seasoned, yes, he should be appreciated for not toeing (not "towing") the company line and aiming criticism at worthy targets, but homers don't lean that way. A few niggles about his writing style but that's barely a blip on the report card. Like Wyman, on video he's cool, calm and collected. Unflusterable, you might say, which is a valuable trait for a reporter.

Jeff Hamilton -- Another Freeper I don't read so I'm limited to podcasts. Here he's terrific, coherent and logical, and capable of ranting in the same vein passionately but without Reynolds-like hysterics. If he has homeritis it's a negligible case, and that gives him an authoritative cache that practitioners like Wiebe can't imagine, never mind attain. I don't always agree with him but he's among the most watchable of local podcast guests.
Most comprehensive review is out anything I have read on this site.

nobody imp0rtant

Registered pessimist
May 23, 2018

Good review. I have to disagree on a couple of things. I like Sean Reynolds but then, I'm partial to smarmy, self-aggrandizing rants. I might have even let loose a few myself.

And perhaps it's hypocritical, given my disdain for people that say "grosheries" but I'm a Shwag person. :nod:

Reactions: Adam da bomb

Upperdeckjet

Dec 14, 2011
I subscribe to the Free Press. They give me enough to keep me entertained. If not for them, there would be no media travelling with the team and reporting from the road (as I understand the situation to be).

JetsFan815

Jan 16, 2012

I think a lot of that stuff had to with the local media's antagonistic relationship with Wheeler (which to be fair Wheeler had a lot to do with). I think they were at a point where they were more inclined to believe and promote anti-Wheeler narratives that just happened to lineup with the drama around this team. I really don't think that most if any media members that cover the Jets try to stir up drama.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad