Winnipeg Jets Top 20 Prospects - Preliminary Discussion (Criteria)

Hank Chinaski

May 29, 2007
YFO
It's almost that time of year again, everyone's favourite offseason exercise! Prospect rankings = serious business. :sarcasm: :D

I'll likely start the first ranking poll on Monday, July 4th. Before that, I want some feedback on the prospect criteria we will use. We've used Hockey's Future criteria for all our past rankings, but I know there is always disagreement over this, specifically whether or not players of a certain age and number of GP should be included. I know there will be debate this year over whether Armia, Dano, Hellebuyck, etc. should be considered prospects or not.

I'll leave it open to a vote: do we want to use HF criteria? Or should we set our own thresholds for age and games played when determining who is still a prospect?

List of our prospects according to Hockey's Future (2016 draftees haven't been posted yet):

http://www.hockeysfuture.com/teams/winnipeg-jets/

HF criteria for prospects:

http://www.hockeysfuture.com/whatmakesaprospect/

Hank Chinaski

May 29, 2007
YFO
If we're not going with HF criteria, a good alternative would be to use NHL rookie criteria. This would exclude Armia, Dano, and Hellebuyck from the rankings.

Aavco Cup

"I can make you cry in this room"
Sep 5, 2013
Rookie criteria is less than 25 NHL games? And under 25?

Mortimer Snerd

You kids get off my lawn!
Sponsor
Jun 10, 2014
If we're not going with HF criteria, a good alternative would be to use NHL rookie criteria. This would exclude Armia, Dano, and Hellebuyck from the rankings.

I will vote for HF criteria. 1) they're perfectly reasonable and 2) that way we stay self-consistent.

NHL rookie criteria would be my second choice but I think that threshold is too low. That is some still legit prospects would be eliminated.

Aavco Cup

Sep 5, 2013
I always thought the HF criteria was way too broad and included far to many players. I even think 2 AHL seasons should eliminate the player form the ranks of "prospect"

Didn't HF stop doing prospects completely?

Not sure I'm in favour of either the NHL or The HF criteria TBH.

Jun 15, 2013
Winnipeg
I voted for using the HF guidelines. Only reasoning is keeping the Jets board comparable to that of other teams.

However if a significant portion other teams boards wish to change criteria as well, I'd be on board to join them to keep up a certain level of standardization.

Sweech

Oh When the Spurs
Jun 30, 2011
Hamilton, Ontario
Keep it as HF, it's silly in some ways but no less silly than the NHL criteria.

I wouldn't mind a seperate top under-25 years old list though.

Aavco Cup

Sep 5, 2013
Out of curiosity, which are the players dropped/added using HF vs NHL?

Players who are not eligible for the calder but are still prospects under HF criteria.

Armia
Petan
Hellebuyck

Copp, Dano & Ehlers graduated by HF GP criteria

Melchiori graduated HF criteria by age but is eligible for the calder

Huffer

Jul 16, 2010
Regardless of the games played criteria to determine who's a rookie, I think an important consideration is to agree on what type of criteria people are using to determine how they rank.

Some people rank based on "readiness" and others on "upside". I think a general standard might be nice.

Personally I rank based on a combo of upside and likeliness to achieve it. In my own mind I'm envisioning at each pick, if I can only keep one of the guys on this list, who would I keep?

SLAYER

Cilantro Connoisseur
Oct 26, 2012
Winnipeg
Dislike HF criteria, but we might as well just keep it in line with all of our previous years.

YWGinYYZ

Jul 3, 2011
Toronto
I vote HF for consistency and then afterwards doing a T25U25 afterwards for fun. :P

That's a lot of voting! :laugh: I do agree that an "under 25" ranking is probably a better representation of where the franchise sits. The Thrashers would have ranked better under that model, for instance, since players like Kane, Bogo, and Burmi jumped out of the prospect pool and into the line-up quickly.

garret9

AKA#VitoCorrelationi
Mar 31, 2012
Vancouver
www.hockey-graphs.com
That's a lot of voting! :laugh: I do agree that an "under 25" ranking is probably a better representation of where the franchise sits. The Thrashers would have ranked better under that model, for instance, since players like Kane, Bogo, and Burmi jumped out of the prospect pool and into the line-up quickly.

We probably will have a lot of free time during the August summer months to kill. I won't mind helping. :P

Some of it will overlap which will make some things easier. It'll be interesting to see where the pros fit within the top prospects. Laine is 100% best Jet prospect. Will he be top U25? Will that be Scheifele? Dun dun dunnnn /dramatic music

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad