Winnipeg Jets Prospects Thread 2016-17

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mortimer Snerd

You kids get off my lawn!
Sponsor
Jun 10, 2014
Why is scoring for a defenseman deemed to be so important? It would be nice on this team to have a big mean defense first defenseman.

To take it a step further than the other replies you have had I think that carries over to the NHL too. It is not that you want all your D to be offense first players. You want all your D to be PMD. That simply means they are good at getting the puck out of the D zone with possession. They may skate it out or they may pass it out, doesn't matter. A defenseman who does that is going to start a lot of plays that end up in the other guys net so at least will pick up a lot of 2nd A's eventually.

Going a step further, if you look at the D who score a lot you will see players who spend more time in the O zone which tends to prevent goals against much better than clearing the net or standing up F's at the blueline.

Mortimer Snerd

Sponsor
Jun 10, 2014
At no point would I call any of these players a bust. Cederholm was always a longshot, but I still have hope for him; just like I still have hope for Stanley, and all of our prospects. Just don't want to overrate them. Despite drafting these guys, our D pool is still our weak point, so I would like to have another D- heavy draft

It would be good (OK, understatement) to get another 1st this year. Take Liljegren (a little lottery luck) or Foote with our own and Vilamaki or Hague with the other.

That would give a huge boost to our D prospect pool. Where we are going to pick up another 1st I don't know. Certainly Stafford and Burmi don't bring that much. :laugh: Some of the maneuvring around the exp draft at the TD might play into our hands.

Joe Hallenback

Mar 4, 2005
Windsor uses Stanley a lot in the defensive zone. He almost always is out against the other teams top lines and starts most of the time in the defensive zone. I think his lack of assists is more to do with Windsors lack of secondary scoring from its forwards. They score a lot less then the teams with similar records and they are going to have to make some moves to address that problem

He is a much better player this year then last year from my viewings of him. Not earth shaking better but improvement none the less.

ps241

The Ballad of Ville Bobby
Sponsor
Mar 10, 2010
I look at Griffin Reinhart as being the poster boy for this cautionary tale of how great junior shut down defenders still need to score.

He had a very decent draft -1 year and was just over .5 PPG for the Oil Kings. I remember thinking that he was looking really good. I started getting a bit concerned in his draft year when the scoring needle didn't really move much and when I watched him play I thought he was positionally sound and big but really soft and on draft day I said I wanted any of the top D guys except Reinhart (I thought he was being way overrated). The following 2 seasons in junior his raw scoring numbers actually decreased??? Meanwhile he was doing ok with Team Canada and even helped lead the Oil Kings to the memorial cup as the "shutdown" defender. The red flag was always that he didn't have the skill to dominate offensively especially for a top 10 pick in an NHL draft. Perhaps one day Griff will make the NHL but if he couldn't crack that Oiler D line up last season it will take a minor miracle for things to change.

Last edited:

Joe Hallenback

Mar 4, 2005
I look at Griffin Reinhart as being the poster boy for this cautionary tale of how great junior shut down defenders still need to score.

He had a very decent draft -1 year and was just over .5 PPG for the Oil Kings. I remember thinking that he was looking really good. I started getting a bit concerned in his draft year when the scoring needle didn't really move much and when I watched him play I thought he was positionally sound and big but really soft and on draft day I said I want any of the top D guys except Reinhart. The following 2 seasons in junior his raw scoring numbers actually decreased??? Meanwhile he was doing ok with Team Canada and even helped lead the Oil Kings to the memorial cup as the "shut down" defender. The red flag was always that he didn't have the skill to dominate offensively especially for a top 10 pick in an NHL draft. Perhaps one day Griff will make the NHL but if he couldn't crack that Oiler D line up last season it will take a miracle for things to change.

I know another story about another "shutdown" dman that didn't score much at the junior level and really started to take it to another level in his final year of Junior. His draft year he could be considered plodding and offensively anemic and was just a .25 ppg player. His second year while better only saw him go to .56 ppg. He did make team canada his final year and had a memorable tournament playing a very heavy shutdown game. During his draft year he fell to the 2nd round with teams passing on him because of his limited offensive upside but as it stands now he is the highest point producer of his draft class by D while still playing that heavy shutdown game he was noted for. That D man was Shea Weber.

Now I am not saying Stanley will become Shea Weber but I also can't say he won't either.

Gabe Kupari

Jul 11, 2013
Winter is Coming
Yeah Shea Weber is actually quite the story, wasn't even taken in the first, taken in the late 2nd round no? Turns out to be a stud.

Voodoo D men also.

garret9

AKA#VitoCorrelationi
Mar 31, 2012
Vancouver
www.hockey-graphs.com
I know another story about another "shutdown" dman that didn't score much at the junior level and really started to take it to another level in his final year of Junior. His draft year he could be considered plodding and offensively anemic and was just a .25 ppg player. His second year while better only saw him go to .56 ppg. He did make team canada his final year and had a memorable tournament playing a very heavy shutdown game. During his draft year he fell to the 2nd round with teams passing on him because of his limited offensive upside but as it stands now he is the highest point producer of his draft class by D while still playing that heavy shutdown game he was noted for. That D man was Shea Weber.

Now I am not saying Stanley will become Shea Weber but I also can't say he won't either.

You can win the lottery, but it doesn't mean trying to is sound financial advice.

Gabe Kupari

Jul 11, 2013
Winter is Coming
Seems like a few teams have won the lottery in terms of drafting D men late in the draft.. quite a few actually have been taken late in the draft and turned in to pretty damn good D men.

garret9

AKA#VitoCorrelationi
Mar 31, 2012
Vancouver
www.hockey-graphs.com
Why is scoring for a defenseman deemed to be so important? It would be nice on this team to have a big mean defense first defenseman.

Because it is a huge signal of future success.

In fact, it has been shown that scouts undervaluing scoring for defenders is a reason for scouts being inefficient as they are in drafting defenders:

Cul1_qQUAAAhKUV.jpg

Top/Mid/Low - 1st, 2nd, 3rd+ round drafted
Scorer/Non - over, under 0.6 pt/gp

1st round drafted defenders who score under 0.6 pt/gp tend to be as good as bet as 2nd round drafted defenders who score over 0.6 pt/gp on average... that's something.

Joe Hallenback

Mar 4, 2005
You can win the lottery, but it doesn't mean trying to is sound financial advice.

The likely hood that Stanley falls in between Reinhart and Weber is probably pretty good.

If Stanley turns out to be a D that gets 20+ points and plays 18 to 22 minutes a night for 10 years in the NHL is that a good use of that selection then?

I think that is the risk they took. I don't think he is there yet. I will be able to tell you next season if he will bet that guy.

ps241

Sponsor
Mar 10, 2010

touche Joe

Weber is not alone there are others that beat the odds but man the numbers are ugly.

Whileee

May 29, 2010
Some posters have cited Stanley as an example of the "Hillier effect" in drafting, but Stanley is right out of Comeau's playbook...

Valabik 2004
Denny 2005
Chiarot 2009
Sol 2009
Melchiori 2010

All big, low-scoring D.

ps241

Sponsor
Mar 10, 2010
The likely hood that Stanley falls in between Reinhart and Weber is probably pretty good.

If Stanley turns out to be a D that gets 20+ points and plays 18 to 22 minutes a night for 10 years in the NHL is that a good use of that selection then?

I think that is the risk they took. I don't think he is there yet. I will be able to tell you next season if he will bet that guy.

Not sure I agree Joe Logan is not as good as Reinhart was at the same age yet IMO. Griffin was a very effective (albeit low scoring) junior hockey player. At this point I would not be willing to concede Stanley will be as good as Reinhart one day although one can hope.

Gm0ney

Unicorns salient
Oct 12, 2011
Winnipeg
Some posters have cited Stanley as an example of the "Hillier effect" in drafting, but Stanley is right out of Comeau's playbook...

Valabik 2004
Denny 2005
Chiarot 2009
Sol 2009
Melchiori 2010

All big, low-scoring D.

Comeau replaced Dan Marr as Director of Scouting when the Thrashers moved here I thought. Both had been with the Thrashers for a long time though. The whole organization had a pretty abysmal drafting record when they got here. It certainly appears they fired the right guy in 2011...

Deif

Sep 20, 2014
Wish we took a flyer on David Quenneville with a 7th round pick instead of trading it away for a pick next year. Having a great season with Medicine Hat, but the opposite of Stanley (stands at ~5'8).

ps241

Sponsor
Mar 10, 2010
Comeau replaced Dan Marr as Director of Scouting when the Thrashers moved here I thought. Both had been with the Thrashers for a long time though. The whole organization had a pretty abysmal drafting record when they got here. It certainly appears they fired the right guy in 2011...

Thus begun the golden era of drafts between 2011-2015

:sarcasm:

ps241

Sponsor
Mar 10, 2010
Comeau was Director of Amateur Scouting from 2003-4...

http://www.eliteprospects.com/staff.php?staff=2368

I don't think Eliteprospects got it right Whileee Dan Marr ran the show in Atlanta (From NHL.com in 2011):

"Marr, who was released from his duties as Atlanta's Director of Amateur Scouting and Player Development when the franchise relocated to Winnipeg in June, replaces McGuire, who died April 7 following a five-month battle with cancer.

Marr served as Atlanta's chief scout for more than three years, from 2000-03, before being promoted to director of amateur scouting and player development in July 2003. He joined the Thrashers as a head scout in September 1998 after spending more than 12 years with the Maple Leafs."

Last edited:

Deif

Sep 20, 2014
Because it is a huge signal of future success.

In fact, it has been shown that scouts undervaluing scoring for defenders is a reason for scouts being inefficient as they are in drafting defenders:

Cul1_qQUAAAhKUV.jpg

Top/Mid/Low - 1st, 2nd, 3rd+ round drafted
Scorer/Non - over, under 0.6 pt/gp

1st round drafted defenders who score under 0.6 pt/gp tend to be as good as bet as 2nd round drafted defenders who score over 0.6 pt/gp on average... that's something.

Do you have this post saved somewhere? You repeat it so many times :D

ps241

Sponsor
Mar 10, 2010
Comeau was head scout. Matt was director of scouting, I think.

"Two men say they're Jesus one of them must be wrong"

Sorry to drop that Dire Straits lyric in here but it feels like it fits :laugh:

Mortimer Snerd

Sponsor
Jun 10, 2014

I would set my sights a little lower. 15 pts, 16-18 min for 10 years would make me very happy. An above average 3rd pair D and good PK'er. :banana:

Hank Chinaski

May 29, 2007
YFO
Weber and Stanley are both big, and were both low scoring defensemen in their draft years. That's about where the similarities end, not even remotely similar styles or strengths.

I admittedly only saw young Shea Weber in his D+2 year with Kelowna, but I have a really hard time seeing any parallels. If we're talking comparables, I think pre-Leafs Komisarek is the upper level of what I'd expect from Stanley.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad