Winnipeg Jets Prospects Thread 2016-17 Part III

Status
Not open for further replies.

Joe Hallenback

Mar 4, 2005
Copp was an overager.

So was Lipon

As someone who scouted 14 year olds for the WHL it is extremely difficult to project players at that age so you tend to look for trends to previous players you watched.

For me I compared almost every forward to Jonathan Toews who I still think was the best bantam aged player I have ever seen. There was one other player I saw who I thought was going to be the next Toews and that was Alex Forsberg, who never lived up to those lofty heights.

It is a difficult thing to do to project players who haven't fully developed physically yet.

Mortimer Snerd

You kids get off my lawn!
Sponsor
Jun 10, 2014
Copp was an overager.

OK, then that is one. Poolman will be 2 when/if he makes it. That would be a pretty good success rate, particularly for 4th & 5th round picks. IIRC Kichton and Lipon were our only other 2 overage picks, taken at 190 and 91 respectively. A fair bit later than Kovacevic at 74.

Kovacevic was taken 74th of D+2 with a birth date close to Copp's, so almost exactly a year older. I don't have any problem with taking Kovacevic but I think we took him pretty early for a guy already 2 full years past his draft class.

If he becomes an NHL player from that spot he has beaten the odds so it will be a good pick but there may have been better available there and he may still have been available later. Interesting pick at any rate.

HannuJ

Nov 20, 2011
Toronno
while no longer a Jets' prospect per se, anyone know what happened to Axel Blomqvest once he returned to Europe?
his numbers and games played don't make much sense.

mcpw

WPG
Jan 13, 2015
while no longer a Jets' prospect per se, anyone know what happened to Axel Blomqvest once he returned to Europe?
his numbers and games played don't make much sense.

Eliteprospects says he'll be playing in the fourth-tier league next season. I don't know if that's even a professional league.

Romang67

BitterSwede
Jan 2, 2011
Evanston, IL
Eliteprospects says he'll be playing in the fourth-tier league next season. I don't know if that's even a professional league.

Sure is! I used to practice with a Division 2 team when I was 17. I think it's safe to say that Blomqvist is done as a prospect.

mondo3

Jun 4, 2011
Anaheim
I'm not sure about the overage players. So far none have developed much beyond where they were in the year they were finally drafted. I believe Poolman will be the first - when/if he makes it.

I'm not wild about taking Kovacevic in the 3rd rd. If we are going to keep trying these overage players I think it should be limited to the later rounds. His stat line looks pretty good compared to this year's draft class but remember that it was already his D+2 year. It should look good.

I agree with the rest. Quite strongly. It will become increasingly difficult to outdraft the competition except by picking earlier. That is a naturally occurring, evolutionary process. Even the variations in valuing these assets will level out.

A variation I see that is actually a little humourous is that picks seem to have a lesser value the day before the draft than the day after. As soon as teams put a name to a pick they seem to become more possessive of it. That overvaluation seems to persist until the player has proved out, one way or another. Picks are traded all the time. Even at the draft. Prospects are hoarded like diamonds or gold.

I disagree with the outdraft only by picking earlier comment. Just go through all the redraft threads (even recent ones) and you'll see they are vastly different than the order in which the players were drafted.

Mortimer Snerd

You kids get off my lawn!
Sponsor
Jun 10, 2014
I disagree with the outdraft only by picking earlier comment. Just go through all the redraft threads (even recent ones) and you'll see they are vastly different than the order in which the players were drafted.

Sorry, I don't follow. I don't know what it is you are disagreeing with so I don't understand the reference to redrafts. Redrafts show the difference between the way teams projected players and how they turned out but it is complicated.

garret9

AKA#VitoCorrelationi
Mar 31, 2012
Vancouver
www.hockey-graphs.com
Jets overage drafts (round):
Lipon (3, 2013) - 9 NHL GP
Copp (4, 2013) - 142 NHL GP
Poolman (5, 2013)
Kichton (7, 2013)
Franklin (5, 2013)
Ustaski (7, 2013)
Appleton (6, 2015)
Kovacevic (3, 2017)
Evingson (7, 2017)

CorgisPer60

Barking at the net
Apr 15, 2012
Please Understand
There's nothing wrong with drafting overagers in later rounds. It allows you to pick up on sharp risers from their D year, and you get players one-year closer to being a pro, as opposed to two.

mcpw

WPG
Jan 13, 2015
Poolman (5, 2013)
Kichton (7, 2013)
Franklin (5, 2013)
Ustaski (7, 2013 2014)
Appleton (6, 2015)
Kovacevic (3, 2017)
Evingson (7, 2017)

Hellebuyck (5, 2012) - 82 NHL GP

Grind

Stomacheache AllStar
Jan 25, 2012
Manitoba
I forgot hekky was an overage.

I really like iverage picks for rounds 4+ generally speaking. There's usually quite a few guys who have well outperformed more then you could realistically expect any other kid drafted in those rounds and you get the benefit of knowing one more year of success under your belt.

I'd honestly use all my 6th-7th round picks on overage players...or Niku's. Any 18 yearold that's already played in a pro league is I intriguing at that point as is any guy who had modest production in his draft year and a good growth year in year 2

truck

Jun 27, 2012
www.arcticicehockey.com
Hellebuyck (5, 2012) - 82 NHL GP
Poolman (5, 2013)
Kichton (7, 2013)
Franklin (5, 2013)
Ustaski (7, 2013)
Appleton (6, 2015)
Kovacevic (3, 2017)
Evingson (7, 2017)

Considering where these guys have been drafted, they've done very well with theor OA players - especially if Poolman play as much as most think he will.

Ustaski was a throwaway from go, but Appleton and Kovacevic look really promising.

CorgisPer60

Barking at the net
Apr 15, 2012
Please Understand
I find myself constantly intrigued by Appleton and Foley. You don't really expect much out of late round draft picks, but those two have really acclimated themselves well and have taken over key positions with their respective division one teams. I find myself filled with cautious excitement about them, and look forward to seeing what they will produce next season.

DEANYOUNGBLOOD17

May 10, 2011
I find myself constantly intrigued by Appleton and Foley. You don't really expect much out of late round draft picks, but those two have really acclimated themselves well and have taken over key positions with their respective division one teams. I find myself filled with cautious excitement about them, and look forward to seeing what they will produce next season.

I agree.... I think Foley and Appleton get under rated on these Peg. H.F. boards. They were both leaders on their college teams last year at near p.p.g pace. Appleton is going to be the Captain for M.S.U. next year. Both players remind me of Copp' s progression. Both players have good size. Foley is thicker/solid and has a nose for scorng goals. Appleton is taller and is more pass first more ASSIST type player. They both should be getting more love in the current rate the Jet prospect thread. I would be happy if both join the team this year after they finnish their 3rd year of college in March.

Whileee

May 29, 2010
I agree.... I think Foley and Appleton get under rated on these Peg. H.F. boards. They were both leaders on their college teams last year at near p.p.g pace. Appleton is going to be the Captain for M.S.U. next year. Both players remind me of Copp' s progression. Both players have good size. Foley is thicker/solid and has a nose for scorng goals. Appleton is taller and is more pass first more ASSIST type player. They both should be getting more love in the current rate the Jet prospect thread. I would be happy if both join the team this year after they finnish their 3rd year of college in March.

I like both of them, but I think the Jets might have trouble finding space for them in the depth chart. Unless they see a clear opportunity, I wouldn't be surprised if they decide to play out 4 years in college and then sign somewhere that they have a clearer shot at a roster spot.

I could see either or both of them being traded at some point for that reason.

My strong preference is to keep Foley. I think he could be a strong bottom-6 winger in the future.

DEANYOUNGBLOOD17

May 10, 2011
I like both of them, but I think the Jets might have trouble finding space for them in the depth chart. Unless they see a clear opportunity, I wouldn't be surprised if they decide to play out 4 years in college and then sign somewhere that they have a clearer shot at a roster spot.

I could see either or both of them being traded at some point for that reason.

My strong preference is to keep Foley. I think he could be a strong bottom-6 winger in the future.

I rate Foley ahead of Appleton due to his hard nose play. The Jets need that more than a more offensive orientated player.

Both players should be offered the N..C.A.A golden parachute package to sign this March 2018. 92.5 k and a month s N.H.L. salary on the Jets taxi squad getting in to a least 1 N.H.L. game down the stretch.

It is pretty enticing to get that guarantee of 150k for 1 month and a guarantee of 150 k for the 2nd year of the E.L.C. If they do not take it they have to wait until August 15 2019 to become a U.F.A.

In the big picture some teams may have less forward depth snd offer slightly better opportunity to get to the N.H.L. .......... but you are either good enough or you are not.At their age they will be waiver eligible relatively soon. ( waiver eligible sooner when they use up 1 E.L.C. year by signing for the last few games of the year in March)

truck

Jun 27, 2012
www.arcticicehockey.com

While I agree, how valuable is Copp in the big picture? Will these guys have a bigger impact or will it be similar or less? If all goes well, they may be players, but likely not impact players. Long term, we're probably looking at cheap depth - the kind of players that Chicago rotates in and out while the big guns get paid big $$.

Kero
Hinostroza
Hayden
Motte

Useful pieces, but not sexy.

CorgisPer60

Barking at the net
Apr 15, 2012
Please Understand

Whileee

May 29, 2010
Tyler Boland receives rookie camp invite from the Jets.
http://www.thetelegram.com/sports/h...-of-st--john-s-will-try-out-the-jets-set.html

https://www.habseyesontheprize.com/...or-his-hometown-icecaps-rumors-habs-prospects

http://www.hockeydb.com/ihdb/stats/pdisplay.php?pid=169568

My biggest takeaway is that his production seems to have doubled every year. Not a bad D+2 year to have, having missed the Q scoring lead by one point.

Even more impressive to me --- he scored 48 goals and the next highest on his team was 20 goals. He scored 27 more points than the next highest scorer on his team.

CaptainChef

Jan 5, 2014
Bedroom Jetsville
Tyler Boland receives rookie camp invite from the Jets.
http://www.thetelegram.com/sports/h...-of-st--john-s-will-try-out-the-jets-set.html

https://www.habseyesontheprize.com/...or-his-hometown-icecaps-rumors-habs-prospects

http://www.hockeydb.com/ihdb/stats/pdisplay.php?pid=169568

My biggest takeaway is that his production seems to have doubled every year. Not a bad D+2 year to have, having missed the Q scoring lead by one point.

Interesting looking prospect indeed. 6' center with that scoring potential (and having almost as many points as the two closest guys on his team suggests he's been able to do it without much help!).

Quite surprised this guy wasn't signed as a free agent by any team

mcpw

WPG
Jan 13, 2015
Look at the absolute disparity in goal scoring and points on the team. Talk about one person carrying water.

Can he chop wood, though? :)

We actually need to invite a lot of forwards to play in the Penticton tournament. Keeping in mind that college players can't play and Euro players won't come over, we only have six forwards that qualify (plus a pretty small chance of Connor playing): Roslovic, Lemieux, Harkins, Spacek, McKenzie, and Stallard (injured during dev camp, not sure what his timeline is). So at least six invites will play in each game. We're also at only 41 contracts once our RFAs are signed. Maybe the tryouts will actually be tryouts, and we'll invite some of the better UDFAs. Francis Beauvillier will probably also be invited. On defense, the group is deeper (Niku, Nogier, Stanley, Green, Gawanke, possibly Poolman and Kulevich).

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad