News Article: Winnipeg Jets' Olli Jokinen says he has four or five big seasons left

Guerzy

I'm a fricken baby
Jan 16, 2005
Olli has what it takes to rebound, in my opinion. He isn't done yet, and I think we can get 50 points out of him this year.

sipowicz

The thrill is gone
Mar 16, 2011
One more ''small'' season like he had last year and his chances of playing another in the NHL are slim and none. Hope to see him become even marginally productive (which he didn't even do last year) this season, based on his past history he seems to play better in the final year of his contracts, so there is hope.

Flair Hay

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jun 22, 2010
Winnipeg
Shoot for the stars Olli!

If love to see it happen. But I'll believe it when I see it. He can still have a role in the NHL but he's just not a great fit here IMO.

garret9

AKA#VitoCorrelationi
Mar 31, 2012
Vancouver
www.hockey-graphs.com
There's no doubt Jokinen is aging... you can see it on the ice and in his % of shot attempts.
Last season was pretty unlucky though.

I showed this all here.

The question remains, will his %s normalizing (if it indeed does; lightning can strike twice) will it be enough to make up for his aging.

SensibleGuy

Nov 26, 2011
Joki's gonna have a big bounce-back year this season. Book it!

I could just hear it in his voice at the end of last year. He was personally very dis-appointed in his performance and I think he essentially believes he was the reason the team mised the play-offs. I think he's super driven to do better this year.

cbcwpg

May 18, 2010
Between the Pipes
“I’m not nearly as done as you guys probably think. I have a lot of years (left). I’ve been playing a long time and I still think I can play five, six years at this level — easily.â€

Like his upbeat attitude. You definitely need to have a positive outlook in this sport. I just don't like the "easily" part of the quote.

Sorry Olli, but there is going to be nothing "easy" about you sticking in the NHL for any length of time. If he's playing and producing like he did last year, he will be spending those 5 or 6 years in another league.

Winnipeg Jets

Lucky #7
Feb 19, 2010
Winnipeg
Olli really needs to rebound this year otherwise I don't see him inking an NHL deal for next year. If we can get even 40 points from him coupled with some strong production from our new additions like Seto, Frolik and Scheifele we should be in a good position to make the playoffs.

Nov 24, 2006
I checked the date on that article and thought it seemed funny, because Olli had "four or five good years" left about 15 years ago.

ps241

The Ballad of Ville Bobby
Sponsor
Mar 10, 2010
points are very situational and it will come down to quality of minutes, PP time, and Shooting % IMHO

I don't really care how many points he gets as long as he is more productive than last year (how can he be worse). I would be thrilled if he got 35 points off our 3rd line with 2nd unit PP minutes as Long as Mark was between 45 to 50 points off the 2nd line centre position with 2nd unit PP time.

To me it's not about Olli's points as much as it is about Mark and Olli's collective points as the 2nd and 3rd line centre's (assuming they flip flop a bit). I just want them to tag team up to be a productive tandem "running back by committee" type 2nd line centre and the Jets should be in good shape.

YWGinYYZ

Jul 3, 2011
Toronto
points are very situational and it will come down to quality of minutes, PP time, and Shooting % IMHO

I don't really care how many points he gets as long as he is more productive than last year (how can he be worse). I would be thrilled if he got 35 points off our 3rd line with 2nd unit PP minutes as Long as Mark was between 45 to 50 points off the 2nd line centre position with 2nd unit PP time.

To me it's not about Olli's points as much as it is about Mark and Olli's collective points as the 2nd and 3rd line centre's (assuming they flip flop a bit). I just want them to tag team up to be a productive tandem "running back by committee" type 2nd line centre and the Jets should be in good shape.

Very well said: agree 100%. If he rebounds and forces Scheifele down, or if he's productive on the third line, both are positive results for the Jets.

There are no bad 1 year contracts, and the Jets are fine for cap space, so I certainly wouldn't be upset with Olli on the third producing around 30 points even at his salary. That could be a very good thing for the Jets, as it would mean a capable vet got pushed down by someone more productive, potentially creating good 1st, 2nd and 3rd lines. 4th: just hold the fort, please. :D

knorthern knight

Mar 18, 2011
GTA
If Olli is +19 this full season, it still won't be break-even on his contract, but at least we'll have a decent shot at the playoffs. And fercryinoutloud, if he does have a great season, please don't sign him to more than a 1 year contract.

drumzan

#NHLJets
Jul 9, 2011
Olli has zero chemistry with Kane. But I'm sensing he's going to be forced on his Kane's line because he's paid like a #2C.

I know some people on here feel he'll have a bounce back year. I think he's completely useless. And who knows what kind of shape he'll be in...high ankle sprains are no joke.

Duke749

Savannah Ghost Pirates
Apr 6, 2010
Canton, Georgia
Olli has zero chemistry with Kane. But I'm sensing he's going to be forced on his Kane's line because he's paid like a #2C.

I know some people on here feel he'll have a bounce back year. I think he's completely useless. And who knows what kind of shape he'll be in...high ankle sprains are no joke.

Then goodbye Noel.

To be THAT bad a again would actually be harder then making an improvement. :laugh:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad