Winnipeg Jets going into the 24/25 season

What do you feel is the top Priority for 2024-2025?

• New Special Team Coach (replace Lauer)

Votes: 33 21.2%
  • New Head Coach (replace Bowness)

Votes: 14 9.0%
  • Replace both coaches (replace Bowness and Lauer)

Votes: 68 43.6%
  • New General Manager (replace Cheveldayoff)

Votes: 16 10.3%
  • Trade Forwards/picks for improved Defense core. (Replacements for Pionk & Stanley)

Votes: 49 31.4%
  • Improved process to integrate youth (mostly our prospects) into the NHL club and give longer leash

Votes: 33 21.2%
  • Ensure strong Back-up Goalie (like Brossoit) and give MINIMUM of 30 games (Load Mgmt for Helly)

Votes: 4 2.6%
  • Trade Vezina Helly if we get a great offer

Votes: 2 1.3%
  • Create time travel (or borrow this current tech from the CIA) and bring back Prime Byfuglien

Votes: 17 10.9%
  • Trade multiple Players for picks - start mini Re-build

Votes: 6 3.8%

• Total voters
  • This poll will close: .

Orrrules

Mar 6, 2021
Jets are actually never going very far in the playoffs until they get players who are competitive with the best. Right now Jets top line would only be a 2nd line on a good team, Jets 2nd line would only be a serviceable 3rd line on an average team, and Jets 3rd line would only be a marginal 4th line on an average team. Winnipeg just does not attract the star power to compete in the league, and as long as Jets stay in Winnipeg it is very unlikely they will have a roster that goes further than the 1st round in the playoffs. As soon as draft picks get good enough they will move to a more favorable market, and the growth of the draft picks remains stunted on the Jets due to the lack of good quality players and coaches to mentor and grow them.
Troll much

surixon

Jul 12, 2003
Winnipeg
Listen, you can advocate all you want for Bowness. IMHO he was not a great coach. He has a career .395 win percentage and has never won anything. Older vet players like him but his history with young players and integrating them is not good. I think he was by far a better assistant coach than a head coach. As an assistant he could implement structure and be a nice guy to the players. As a HC who has to make final decisions on rosters, playing time, lines situational decisions etc., he was not good at all. This was long before he came to Winnipeg aas well.

Other coaches like Brindamour and Deboer integrate young skill and aren't afraid if they make a mistake or god forbid, out play a vet.

He was largely brought in to use his interpersonal skills to fix a fractured room imo. That to me seemed to be his chief objective. We were looking for a short term coach to accomplish that as well as to implement a defensive foundation. He was always seen as a short term fix. It would have been no different had they got their number 1 choice in Trotz. It was well know Trotz wanted to move into management at the time.

Now that the room is fixed and we have that foundation they will be looking for a long term fit. I'm curious what direction they go in.

surixon

Jul 12, 2003
Winnipeg
It's a good start in my opinion.

I think he goes as he just doesn't fit really what the org wants stylistically. He also doesn't get it done in the playoffs.

KC since his first time scores at 35/82 game pace in the playoffs. That is right in line with what he does in the regular season. The question is does he give too much back that it negates those goals.

Daximus

Wow, what a terrific audience.
Sponsor
Oct 11, 2014
Five Hills
I think he goes as he just doesn't fit really what the org wants stylistically. He also doesn't get it done in the playoffs.

KC since his first time scores at 35/82 game pace in the playoffs. That is right in line with what he does in the regular season. The question is does he give too much back that it negates those goals.

It's to bad we couldn't find another top 6 C that can play over Scheif. Still hoping one of Perfetti/Lambert becomes that and we can move Scheif down to 2C. Connor on the top line with a younger fresher center and big body that can muck it up in the corners and play some defence would be nice.

I think Chibrikov can possibly fill in on the wing next year if Ehlers is gone. I don't expect him to replace Ehlers entirely yet but I think he has some potential.

surixon

Jul 12, 2003
Winnipeg
It's to bad we couldn't find another top 6 C that can play over Scheif. Still hoping one of Perfetti/Lambert becomes that and we can move Scheif down to 2C. Connor on the top line with a younger fresher center and big body that can muck it up in the corners and play some defence would be nice.

I think Chibrikov can possibly fill in on the wing next year if Ehlers is gone. I don't expect him to replace Ehlers entirely yet but I think he has some potential.

Agreed, we desperately need a long term solution to Mark. He's arguably already on the slow decline stage of his career. I've said it once and I'll say it again Bones and the org botched it moving off of Cole at C 3 games into the season. We have no clue whether he is capable or not as he didn't get anywhere near long enough of a look. Hopefully the plan is to actually see of he is capable next season.

LowLefty

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Dec 29, 2016

I agree that the C position is key - there really is no point in breaking down our wingers and then wishing they were better - they are the best players we have. I know there is a want to get more youth into the lineup - but we would be lucky if they are as good as the one's we sometimes consider disposable.

If you have solid c's meaning 2 way guys that can make plays and drive a line (and I'm just wishing like the rest of us), our wingers will likely look a lot better.
And you'll probably have a lot more success with inserting prospects.

surixon

Jul 12, 2003
Winnipeg
I agree that the C position is key - there really is no point in breaking down our wingers and then wishing they were better - they are the best players we have. I know there is a want to get more youth into the lineup - but we would be lucky if they are as good as the one's we sometimes consider disposable.

If you have solid c's meaning 2 way guys that can make plays and drive a line (and I'm just wishing like the rest of us), our wingers will likely look a lot better.
And you'll probably have a lot more success with inserting prospects.

I agree with a lot of this. We haven't had the lottery picks to get that franchise changing all out offensive force down the middle like Edmonton and Colorado. We aren't going to be able to outskill the best like them to win a cup. I think we need to further emphasis the right balance between offense and defense and imo this team still has too many one dimensional players (both ways).

One of the reasons I'm a fan of converting Perfetti. He already plays a good defensive game and I'm sure Bones tutelage early in his career will go a long ways making that area of his game a strength long term much like Maurice's insistence in Morrissey being a defensive dmen early has paid dividends for us now. But they have to be willing to live with the growing pains to see if they can groom him into a 2way 60 to 75 point C.

As far as the wingers go I think we will be hard pressed to get wingers as talented as Laine, Ehlers and KC out of our current prospects. What I am hoping for is that what we get from McGroarty, Barlow, Chibrikov etc is more balanced play.

Do or Die

Jun 28, 2011
The situation up front can be tweaked, with a number of possibilities and prospects. But a lot of play starts in one's own zone........

This D must be retooled. It's just not good enough. JM can't do everything, all of the time.

Resign D-Mel (D zone) and Dillon (toughness) Have to get rid of 88 (and his salary) If Pionk is retained, ice time needs to be cut (even at his salary), failing that - get rid of him, for cap space. Desperate for a puck mover and PP guy. Henola has to get a shot, here. Another physical dude would be nice - Stanley is strictly a meh depth guy (too bad)

Jets 31

This Dude loves the Jets and GIF's
Sponsor
Mar 3, 2015
Winnipeg
Very frustrating that we kicked Colorado all 3 regular season games and could only win one game in the playoffs. Our defense definitely needs a upgrade, at least 2 new defenseman next year but i don't care what Helly said at seasons end interviews, that is probably the Vezina winning goalie and to me he has to play better than he did. At the very least win one game by him stealing it.

TS Quint

GET THESE ADS OUT OF MY WAY!
Sep 8, 2012
Listen, you can advocate all you want for Bowness. IMHO he was not a great coach. He has a career .395 win percentage and has never won anything. Older vet players like him but his history with young players and integrating them is not good. I think he was by far a better assistant coach than a head coach. As an assistant he could implement structure and be a nice guy to the players. As a HC who has to make final decisions on rosters, playing time, lines situational decisions etc., he was not good at all. This was long before he came to Winnipeg aas well.

Other coaches like Brindamour and Deboer integrate young skill and aren't afraid if they make a mistake or god forbid, out play a vet.
I don't know if it's fair to say he didn't integrate young players on the Stars. Robertson, Heiskanen, Hintz, Gurianov all played significant roles with the team under Bowness.

With the Jets there wasn't much to integrate. He gave Perfetti and Hienola their chances. Perfetti got a good long look in the top 6 with varying results. He was going to give Heinola his shot until he got hurt. I don't think he has any control of Lambert or Chibrikov. Those guys are going to do what Player Development thinks is best long term.

cbcwpg

May 18, 2010
Between the Pipes
What do we need going into next season? I don’t know, but based on the last 8 teams in the playoffs, other than maybe Vancouver or Edmonton, I can’t see the Jets as built beating any of the other 6.

LowLefty

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Dec 29, 2016
What do we need going into next season? I don’t know, but based on the last 8 teams in the playoffs, other than maybe Vancouver or Edmonton, I can’t see the Jets as built beating any of the other 6.
What do we need? I wouldn't even look at it that way - you'll only be disappointed.
I'd rather look at it as "what can we do" - and I'd start by working youth into the lineup and see what we got.
I'd rather do that over hoping everyone improves 10% :sarcasm:

DRW204

Dec 26, 2010
I don't know if it's fair to say he didn't integrate young players on the Stars. Robertson, Heiskanen, Hintz, Gurianov all played significant roles with the team under Bowness.

With the Jets there wasn't much to integrate. He gave Perfetti and Hienola their chances. Perfetti got a good long look in the top 6 with varying results. He was going to give Heinola his shot until he got hurt. I don't think he has any control of Lambert or Chibrikov. Those guys are going to do what Player Development thinks is best long term.
yeah i am not sure what people expect as far as "integrating youth." look at the last 3-4 drafts prior to 2023, who realistically comes in and playing prominent roles similar to the Dallas crew? Perfetti was a top-6er for most of the season and certainly should be in the line-up (and was minus the few scratches). other than him, perhaps they didn't view the Jets prospects as real upgrades over anyone in the line-up.

looking next year at fwd at least, there's 11 players signed with 2 RFAs.... perhaps Ehlers gets traded so that'll be 1 top-6 spot additional to 2C. but really, not much else room. & the Jets haven't historically been a team that trades out of a contract (UFA-1) an off-season early.

on D, i really doubt the Jets replace a 1RD and probably another ~2/3LD with some mid prospects.

i didn't watch all of the Jets exit press conference, however, some of the Jets-oriented podcast shows summarized how players like dillon, demelo and even monahan want to re-sign here, notably dillon was frustrated how he didn't have a contract...... that's great to hear from a Jets POV and perhaps a big chance from previous years that solid contributing NHL players (with some name value) like these want to be here. the locker-room may be a lot different next year w/o bowness, dillon and demelo if it comes to that. the latter are not only good players, but are great vocal guys too.

Last edited:
Reactions: TS Quint

Huffer

Jul 16, 2010
With recent talk about Ehlers and Pulock, someone on the trade board (not a Jets fan) posted close to the exact idea I was thinking about. I do like Ehlers and would be sad to see him go. But in a situation where there isn't a deal to be made with him, or if there isn't any other way to improve the D, I think it's worth considering.

Ehlers and Pionk for Pulock and Nelson

This would have to assume an extension for Ehlers to make it fair, but I think this is fair, at the very most only require something minor if not.

I would bet that some on the trade board would think the Jets might need to add, but reading the Isles board I think there are quite a few that realize that while Pulock is a RHD, his current contract isn't a "deal" for someone who doesn't produce much offense and isn't great in transition either.

Adding Nelson and Pionk helps both sides as well. For us, if we add Pulock at the expense of Ehlers we're down a top 6 F. And we also have a potential hole at 2C (depending on the new coach's view of trying Perfetti there). If the Jets are able to re-sign Demelo, it's a much better situation to add Demelo as a UFA and then use Pionk to add to the top 6.

For the Islanders most are already interested in swapping Ehlers for Pulock. They're looking for a top 6 winger and Ehlers's speed would be a good fit. What's interesting is that when discussing moving Pulock, they also realize the situation that would arise by moving him. Adding Pionk helps them fill in with Mayfield behind Dobson.

Nelson and Pionk are both upcoming UFA's, and even with our frustration with Pionk their values should not be very far apart.

Seems like a hockey trade that would benefit both teams. The salary impact to both teams is also pretty darn close as well (Jets take on an additional 275K).

Thechozen1

Sep 8, 2021
With recent talk about Ehlers and Pulock, someone on the trade board (not a Jets fan) posted close to the exact idea I was thinking about. I do like Ehlers and would be sad to see him go. But in a situation where there isn't a deal to be made with him, or if there isn't any other way to improve the D, I think it's worth considering.

This would have to assume an extension for Ehlers to make it fair, but I think this is fair, at the very most only require something minor if not.

I would bet that some on the trade board would think the Jets might need to add, but reading the Isles board I think there are quite a few that realize that while Pulock is a RHD, his current contract isn't a "deal" for someone who doesn't produce much offense and isn't great in transition either.

Adding Nelson and Pionk helps both sides as well. For us, if we add Pulock at the expense of Ehlers we're down a top 6 F. And we also have a potential hole at 2C (depending on the new coach's view of trying Perfetti there). If the Jets are able to re-sign Demelo, it's a much better situation to add Demelo as a UFA and then use Pionk to add to the top 6.

For the Islanders most are already interested in swapping Ehlers for Pulock. They're looking for a top 6 winger and Ehlers's speed would be a good fit. What's interesting is that when discussing moving Pulock, they also realize the situation that would arise by moving him. Adding Pionk helps them fill in with Mayfield behind Dobson.

Nelson and Pionk are both upcoming UFA's, and even with our frustration with Pionk their values should not be very far apart.

Seems like a hockey trade that would benefit both teams. The salary impact to both teams is also pretty darn close as well (Jets take on an additional 275K).
I‘be always been a fan of Brock Nelson and he is damn near local.

While Pulock probably brings more stability to the defense, I’ve always found him to leave me wanting more. I possibly could be convinced to make the deal.

Reactions: Huffer

surixon

Jul 12, 2003
Winnipeg

Doesn't Nelson have an extra year on his deal then Pionk?

Mortimer Snerd

You kids get off my lawn!
Sponsor
Jun 10, 2014
Everyone wants to ignore the fact we were a top team in the league, with the best defense. Many had us going on a deep run. It didn't happen and we need some improvement but people are talking like we were a wild card barely squeaking in

Not exactly. What people are doing is looking back farther than just this season. They are seeing (rightly or wrongly) a pattern of weakness that they want to see repaired.

In the PO, we looked like a WC team that fluked into the PO but didn't actually belong there.

Reactions: Bigfish

WolfHouse

Oct 4, 2020
I‘be always been a fan of Brock Nelson and he is damn near local.

While Pulock probably brings more stability to the defense, I’ve always found him to leave me wanting more. I possibly could be convinced to make the deal.
Why wouldn't we just pay Dillon 6m a season... see if samberg or heinola can play their off side

Vinther

Feb 28, 2016
What do we need? I wouldn't even look at it that way - you'll only be disappointed.
I'd rather look at it as "what can we do" - and I'd start by working youth into the lineup and see what we got.
I'd rather do that over hoping everyone improves 10% :sarcasm:

I see 2 major needs (that I aren't sure how to get)

A: a 2nd almost as great as JoMO defender to build a 2nd pairing around.
B: A true 2nd C, that we can generate a 2nd first line around - something like top 20-35. since 55 slowly is getting older. and sure a true top 5 C would be amazing, but 2 low end first line C's might get the work done.

Reactions: RestlessYoungZero

KingBogo

Admitted Homer
Nov 29, 2011
Winnipeg

This a well thought out proposal but Pulock has a Full NTC and Nelson has a 16 team NTC. Not every Manitoba boy wants to come. The evidence would actually suggest most would prefer not to.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad