Winnipeg Jets going into the 24/25 season

What do you feel is the top Priority for 2024-2025?

• New Special Team Coach (replace Lauer)

Votes: 29 19.7%
  • New Head Coach (replace Bowness)

Votes: 14 9.5%
  • Replace both coaches (replace Bowness and Lauer)

Votes: 65 44.2%
  • New General Manager (replace Cheveldayoff)

Votes: 16 10.9%
  • Trade Forwards/picks for improved Defense core. (Replacements for Pionk & Stanley)

Votes: 46 31.3%
  • Improved process to integrate youth (mostly our prospects) into the NHL club and give longer leash

Votes: 32 21.8%
  • Ensure strong Back-up Goalie (like Brossoit) and give MINIMUM of 30 games (Load Mgmt for Helly)

Votes: 4 2.7%
  • Trade Vezina Helly if we get a great offer

Votes: 2 1.4%
  • Create time travel (or borrow this current tech from the CIA) and bring back Prime Byfuglien

Votes: 15 10.2%
  • Trade multiple Players for picks - start mini Re-build

Votes: 6 4.1%

• Total voters
  • This poll will close: .

Mortimer Snerd

You kids get off my lawn!
Sponsor
Jun 10, 2014
Cole Perfetti was more useful at 5v5. So was Namestnikov. Was it better for the team for Appleton to play more than both? Nah.

I don't think it got much better by the end :

:laugh: I'm not advocating playing him that much.

The thing that separates Ehlers from other players who play his style like MacK and McDavid is what he does with that unpredictability. He lacks the IQ to make his speed work for him. It's one thing to have speed, it's another to use it to your advantage. He's great at skating circles around the zone. The difference with those other two is they aren't afraid to take a hit to take the puck into the middle of the ice. Ehlers dances until he finds an opening and it leads to more turnovers than it doesn't. In the playoffs it compounds because there is even less time and space to operate like that.

Hopefully soon. I just hope we don't rush him for lack of better options.

I can't argue with that. Those 2 are not players I would compare him to.

WolfHouse

Oct 4, 2020
The thing that separates Ehlers from other players who play his style like MacK and McDavid is what he does with that unpredictability. He lacks the IQ to make his speed work for him. It's one thing to have speed, it's another to use it to your advantage. He's great at skating circles around the zone. The difference with those other two is they aren't afraid to take a hit to take the puck into the middle of the ice. Ehlers dances until he finds an opening and it leads to more turnovers than it doesn't. In the playoffs it compounds because there is even less time and space to operate like that.
I find it interesting that despite their different styles of play - you could substitute Scheifele for Ehlers in this rant and it actually makes more sense... Scheif cycles the perimeter, he's fast and doesn't maximize it and he doesn't push to the middle...

Reactions: Adam da bomb

Buffdog

Feb 13, 2019
If Chevy can get a contract extension as part of a deal, I think he could return a very good amount from a smart team. Ehlers was a top 10 winger this year(at least at the important stuff, 5v5) The teams with analytics departments will eat that up, and he won't have the gaudy numbers to want a big money extension so the cap hit should be lower.

He's not going to get a Power but with an extension he could get a very good return. He should get a bigger return than miLD did, but Chevy killed that one so hard to compare :laugh:
Safe to say the org sees Ehlers differently than you do. Likely the rest of the league does too

Every team has an analytics department. They also have weight rooms and scales

I love Ehlers as much as the next guy, but he's a good complementary piece who can be challenging to play with

Mortimer Snerd

You kids get off my lawn!
Sponsor
Jun 10, 2014
I disagree. Tell me if you are in NHL GM that you would move Owen Power for Ehlers. I'd imagine that would be your last and only move as an NHL GM.

The reality is Ehlers is a pending UFA next year and I think it's unlikely he sticks around long term. He is a rental unless we can convince him to re-sign or convince him to sign somewhere else so I can only evaluate him as such.

A recent #1 OA is a long way removed from a coming #14 or #20.

I don't think of players with 1 full season left as rentals. I call them pending UFAs. They become rentals at the TD if they haven't extended by then. It isn't uncommon for pending UFAs to be traded in the off-season and sign very soon afterward.

I think the value would be better represented by Ehlers for Pulock, for example. Which team adds and how much might depend on contract situations.

when you put up sv%'s in the 860s and 880s you probably aren't going to making it past the first round. that's why it's small amount of gp.

PO goalie sv% since the 17-18 POs is 0.913, how many PO series has he been at or above that. this is a goalie customarily in the vezina running, he has not shown that performance in recent PO games.

I'm not trying to say he has been good these last 2 PO. Apparently he thinks he was, which says something about what he thinks of the play in front of him. But that is another long story. I'm simply saying that he has played well in past PO. It is not an unbroken record of bad play.

MardyBum

Jul 4, 2012
Winnipeg, Manitoba
Safe to say the org sees Ehlers differently than you do. Likely the rest of the league does too

Every team has an analytics department. hey also have weight rooms and scales

I love Ehlers as much as the next guy, but he's a good complementary piece who can be challenging to play with

So we can still expect a big return if they decide to trade Stanley? Nice. Looking on the bright side.

• Haha
Reactions: TS Quint

Buffdog

Feb 13, 2019
So we can still expect a big return if they decide to trade Stanley? Nice. Looking on the bright side.
No, Stanley is a 7/8 dman

But it's possible that some idiot GM would overpay for him I guess

bustamente

Kinda Optimistic
Jun 29, 2015
Fraud City MB
If the Jets go into the season without an extension from Nik then he will be a deadline deal, playoffs or no playoffs, on the other hand if he signs an extension I think he is here for the long term.

Adam da bomb

May 1, 2016
I disliked a lot of Bones' lineup decisions, especially in the PO. Some were just head scratchers. Others were almost unbelievable in real time.

The worst one was his insistence on playing Scheifele and Connor together. Each of them is better without the other. That has been demonstrated time and again. It is not just some advanced stats theory.

Clearly Bones did some things well but, for me, the only way I would be comfortable with another season with Bones is if Connor is traded. I won't even get into a KC vs Ehlers thing. Maybe Ehlers is gone too. But break up Scheif and Connor. The only way that happens is if they are not on the same team.

Agree about ST. I'm puzzled about Lauer though. Last season he was credited with a big improvement in our ST. We even got to see a with and without Lauer. Was that a mirage? Was Lauer overruled this season? Is it possible that he was responsible for good ST last year and epically bad ST this year? Whoever was responsible for ST this year has to go. Lauer or Bones or both.
Can’t see much desire to trade Connor one of the few players who played better in playoffs than regular season.

Daximus

Wow, what a terrific audience.
Sponsor
Oct 11, 2014
Five Hills
I find it interesting that despite their different styles of play - you could substitute Scheifele for Ehlers in this rant and it actually makes more sense... Scheif cycles the perimeter, he's fast and doesn't maximize it and he doesn't push to the middle...

But he scores. Yeah maybe he doesn't look pretty doing it. He gets the job done. Ehlers looks really pretty when he does his thing. He just doesn't get results.

Daximus

Wow, what a terrific audience.
Sponsor
Oct 11, 2014
Five Hills
A recent #1 OA is a long way removed from a coming #14 or #20.

I don't think of players with 1 full season left as rentals. I call them pending UFAs. They become rentals at the TD if they haven't extended by then. It isn't uncommon for pending UFAs to be traded in the off-season and sign very soon afterward.

I think the value would be better represented by Ehlers for Pulock, for example. Which team adds and how much might depend on contract situations.

I don't think you'd have a hard time convincing Isles fans to move Pullock. They seem about ready to launch him into the sun. I suppose whipping boy for whipping boy isn't a bad deal.

Buffdog

Feb 13, 2019
I don't think you'd have a hard time convincing Isles fans to move Pullock. They seem about ready to launch him into the sun. I suppose whipping boy for whipping boy isn't a bad deal.
Aside from the NTC (maybe he's willing to waive to come home), I see that as a fit for both teams (providing an extension is greed upon)

WolfHouse

Oct 4, 2020
But he scores. Yeah maybe he doesn't look pretty doing it. He gets the job done. Ehlers looks really pretty when he does his thing. He just doesn't get results.
He does but when he's with Connor they get outscored... ehlers doesn't seem to even though he doesn't score as much he elevates his team mates - it's a complicated thing...

I think the Jets are really missing the mark by not having a nino type on the top line - connor and scheif get too focused on their talent - ehlers needs someone net front to screen or grab the rebound

I think monahan is the best and most realistic signing we have for ufa...

Flair Hay

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jun 22, 2010
Winnipeg
I feel like there is a medium ground here.

I'm not against moving Ehlers if it means a top pair RD coming back. I did not expect that would be an option. If it was, different story.

If he doesn't want to re-sign, then that ends a debate of whether to keep him or not.

If he is willing to stay at a reasonable price? And we can't get a top pair D for him? What are we doing, trading the guy instead for picks?? More okay middle six guys?

He just scored 60 points from the 2nd line. That's still a really valuable player.

Buffdog

Feb 13, 2019
If we could find a coach who's willing (able?) to nuke the "Lowry as a third line shut down centre" idea, could you run:

Ehlers Schief Vilardi
Connor Lowry Perfetti
Nino Lambert Names
Barron Gus/Kupari Appleton

The regular bitchers on here would get their way with line 1 and there'd be peace on the boards

Lowry could help with Connor' defensive woes, while the three of them would be interesting to watch in the o zone. Lowry digs the puck, perfetti finds Connor, and he buries it

Nino and Names are savvy 2-way players who are good along thr boards who can help break Lambert into the league

Fourth line is the fourth line lol. Lots of speed, but realistically that's where Appleton belongs

WolfHouse

Oct 4, 2020
If we could find a coach who's willing (able?) to nuke the "Lowry as a third line shut down centre" idea, could you run:

Ehlers Schief Vilardi
Connor Lowry Perfetti
Nino Lambert Names
Barron Gus/Kupari Appleton

The regular bitchers on here would get their way with line 1 and there'd be peace on the boards

Lowry could help with Connor' defensive woes, while the three of them would be interesting to watch in the o zone. Lowry digs the puck, perfetti finds Connor, and he buries it

Nino and Names are savvy 2-way players who are good along thr boards who can help break Lambert into the league

Fourth line is the fourth line lol. Lots of speed, but realistically that's where Appleton belongs
Ah the long forgotten dream of three scoring lines... its like the riddle of steel.

Im saying Scheif doesn't like Ehlers so give up on that... again in a politics free world, I'd love to see
Nino-Scheif-Vilardi
Connor-Monahan-Perfetti
Ehlers-Names-Lambert
Barron-Gus-Lowry

Reactions: Adam da bomb

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad