Winnipeg Jets going into the 24/25 season

What do you feel is the top Priority for 2024-2025?

• New Special Team Coach (replace Lauer)

Votes: 29 19.7%
  • New Head Coach (replace Bowness)

Votes: 14 9.5%
  • Replace both coaches (replace Bowness and Lauer)

Votes: 65 44.2%
  • New General Manager (replace Cheveldayoff)

Votes: 16 10.9%
  • Trade Forwards/picks for improved Defense core. (Replacements for Pionk & Stanley)

Votes: 46 31.3%
  • Improved process to integrate youth (mostly our prospects) into the NHL club and give longer leash

Votes: 32 21.8%
  • Ensure strong Back-up Goalie (like Brossoit) and give MINIMUM of 30 games (Load Mgmt for Helly)

Votes: 4 2.7%
  • Trade Vezina Helly if we get a great offer

Votes: 2 1.4%
  • Create time travel (or borrow this current tech from the CIA) and bring back Prime Byfuglien

Votes: 15 10.2%
  • Trade multiple Players for picks - start mini Re-build

Votes: 6 4.1%

• Total voters
  • This poll will close: .

gojetsgo

Nov 1, 2015
Can't wait for the typical RFA summer of Perfetti not being signed because he's an RFA and the endless debate about whether he's mad about his usage.
wait until all the people start posting about offer sheets, marek already started it last week but was quickly shut down by friedman who you could tell thought that was a dumb suggestion

Jet

Free Capo!
Jul 20, 2004
Florida
Attendance picked up through the season, which will have calmed management nerves. But I bet they noticed people trying to dump tickets for game 5.

I think they see it as success. I think they don't understand the fan apathy that has developed over the last few years. I think they will be puzzled by its return after that shitty PO. Therefore they will fail to act the right way to repair the damage. Change is the need. They will give us stability instead. AKA, same old same old.
I don't think you give them enough credit.

Chipman isn't some pleb who got money from his dad and stumbled along business. He's a very successful astute business leader who has been in the hockey game for over 30 years.

While I do think they were a bit naive as to think the fan gravy train on their return would last forever, I have no doubt they are getting really plugged into the why's and are addressing them.

For me, the jeopardy is how much the org weights internal loyalty and how that affects their player sourcing model - and how they weight that with fan retention data.

raideralex99

Whiteout Is Coming.
Dec 18, 2015
West Coast
Not enough conversation about Chevy and how we end up with almost 15% of our cap hit tied up in Pionk and Schmidt.
The case of a small market Canadian team overpaying.
If Chevy ever gets fired ... he will be snapped up right away and if goes he to an American team watch him sign FAs no problem.
Its sad but its true just look at Calgary ... Huberdeau $10.5M, when Kardi is hitting 40 he will still be making $7M ... ouch.

Jets 31

This Dude loves the Jets and GIF's
Sponsor
Mar 3, 2015
Winnipeg
Whenever Scheifele has gotten hurt or been out of the lineup this team is not very good. We need Scheifele but we need a second center as good as him and a really good number 2 defenseman, not going to be easy to do that's for sure. And i really don't want Connor or Ehlers traded, Connor drives me crazy with his bad defense sometimes but one thing he does do is score goals and get points. If i had to choose which one to trade for a second center or a number 2 defenseman it would have to be Ehlers because of his contract coming up in a year. It's too bad that we can't seem to get to the next level with both Connor and Ehlers but that seems to be the way we may need to go .

AlphaLackey

Mar 21, 2013
Winnipeg, MB
Maurice has most losses partly because of how long he’s coached. He could just as accurately he called the fourth most winningest coach in NHL history.

I’d say Kim Campbell as PM of Canada is a more accurate comparison/analogy. She was PM for five months about as long as Lowry was head coach. Both inherited a mess and did nothing to fix it. I still think she was a legit prime minister.
Just to be clear, by "losingest" I meant his games won percentage. Yes, his raw numbers are going to be skewed in both ways cause he's been coaching since he was 28 or whatever. Some coaches just get started at his age, and he's been doing it for decades!

And the reason I went with Dönitz instead of Campbell is I think the former was definitely "set up to fail" more as I think Lowry was. Plus also, it gave me the opportunity to revisit one of my favorite comedy sketches. Not gonna link it here because it contains a wee bit of fascist imagery and the last thing I need is some lukewarm mod launching me into the sun for it, but interested parties can YouTube search for "Mitchell and Webb Doenitz"

WolfHouse

Oct 4, 2020
I don't think you give them enough credit.

Chipman isn't some pleb who got money from his dad and stumbled along business. He's a very successful astute business leader who has been in the hockey game for over 30 years.

While I do think they were a bit naive as to think the fan gravy train on their return would last forever, I have no doubt they are getting really plugged into the why's and are addressing them.

For me, the jeopardy is how much the org weights internal loyalty and how that affects their player sourcing model - and how they weight that with fan retention data.
They're not naive at all... they just spent all their time buying downtown for pennies on the dollar

raideralex99

Whiteout Is Coming.
Dec 18, 2015
West Coast
I think the Jets are heading in the right direction but the problem can't be fix overnight like Vegas. Vegas has an advantage and we all know what it is.
The problems with the Jets imo is their loyally and of course the small market so it takes a little bit longer.
Seriously who thought the Jets would have a 52 win season?
The locker room problems were fixed and your #1 center and goalie were signed to long term good contracts ... that's a lot done in one year.
The playoffs showed what the Jets next problem that needs to be fixed ... the defense.
Hopefully Chevy can do that over the summer if not one more year until Pionk and Schmidt's contracts expire.
And yes yes yes replace Lauer bring in a fresh mind to fix that pathetic PK.
The rookies not playing or given a chance I still have not figured that one out ... either they are not ready or the Jets don't want their ELC contracts kicking in or they want a decent Moose team bringing in revenue.
How do rookies get experience if they don't play?

JetsUK

Oct 1, 2015
Just to be clear, by "losingest" I meant his games won percentage. Yes, his raw numbers are going to be skewed in both ways cause he's been coaching since he was 28 or whatever. Some coaches just get started at his age, and he's been doing it for decades!

And the reason I went with Dönitz instead of Campbell is I think the former was definitely "set up to fail" more as I think Lowry was. Plus also, it gave me the opportunity to revisit one of my favorite comedy sketches. Not gonna link it here because it contains a wee bit of fascist imagery and the last thing I need is some lukewarm mod launching me into the sun for it, but interested parties can YouTube search for "Mitchell and Webb Doenitz"

Are we The Baddies?

Old mate of mine was a writer on that series. Think Numberwang and The Angel Summoner sketches, among others.

In terms of the D in 2024-5 it's all about who does the least harm. Schmidt causes less harm than Pionk, Stan is a reasonable 6/7 when he isn't blocking new talent.

But too many have noted that Pionk is "part of the core," so he's unlikely to be moved on or bought out, and it becomes a question of rationing his minutes.

Stan looks to be here until he retires. Schmidt will stick as a 6/8 unless some team wants him and the Jets retain.

Lots depends on what they can get for Ehlers, and on a revised coaching staff.

AlphaLackey

Mar 21, 2013
Winnipeg, MB
Are we The Baddies?

Old mate of mine was a writer on that series. Think Numberwang and The Angel Summoner sketches, among others.

Ah yeah, "Are we the baddies!?" has reached full-on meme status here in North America, that sketch is also awesome.

My wife subjects me to all kinds of British quiz shows and game shows, enough that "Numberwang" got an immediate chuckle. That's cool that you know someone that had a part in that show!

The wife's favorite one is the guy that goes to the corner shop and spends five minutes justifying why he's going to get the strongest beer available and get piss drunk on the shop steps. Says it reminds her of me, somehow.

Gil Fisher

Mar 18, 2012
Winnipeg
I think Chibrikov is more nhl ready than either Lambert or McGroarty, yet we're going to make him wait THREE years to crack the lineup? Hell no.

I'm all in to go younger next year and perhaps take a slight step back in terms of overall regular season performance.

Save some money in vet salary and use it to get some real help for them, not passengers.

A quick reload like that could get us back to contender status quicker, and more sustainably as guys like Sammy, Vilardi and Perfetti become vets, and Lambo, Ville, Chibi and McGroarty incorporate.

Jet's Crazy Lineup:

Out:

Ehlers, Iafallo, Monahan, Tofolli, Appleton
Dillon, Pionk, Schmidt, Stanley

In:
2nd pair RHD, 2C

So how do we get the above 2 out of the players that are leaving? Probably not easy - though I think you do it 2 ways:

Use your best trade chip - Ehlers. I think his advanced stats will be valued highly by some teams. Maybe Calgary would do a deal with us for Andersson?
Salary cap space. Moving out all of that salary and bringing in 4 guys on cheap deals opens up a lot of cash to perhaps overpay someone a bit (Elias Lindholm?) Brandon Montour is an interesting option as well, though there is some risk - is he just a late bloomer or outlier? He's going to get PAID.

Chibrikov Schiefele Perfetti
Connor *2C Vilardi
Barron Namestnikov Lambert
Kupari Lowry Niederraiter

Gustafsson

Morrissey - Demelo
Samberg - *RHD
Heinola - Miller

Capobianco

Hellebuyck

On the cusp:
Lucius, McGroarty, Salmonsson, Barlow

This lineup allows us to free up the logjam of prospects, get younger, and significantly change the core. There is risk there, and there's a lot of what ifs and growing pains, but I do think this team could compete for a playoff spot in the first year. Lots of balance in the lineup and the D core has great potential
*Jack McBain
* Victor Söderström

Last edited:
Reactions: Jet

JetsFan815

Jan 16, 2012

If this is true then the Jets are even more downbad than we thought. If this by Murat is to be believed then they not only don't consider Pionk as a problem but are also thinking about re-signing him albeit at a different cap value.

TS Quint

GET THESE ADS OUT OF MY WAY!
Sep 8, 2012
They're not naive at all... they just spent all their time buying downtown for pennies on the dollar
It's called fair market price for that hell hole they make you pay to park in for some unknown reason.

No one in Winnipeg would ever tell anyone they liked to go there outside of places Chipman owns.

TS Quint

Sep 8, 2012
I think the Jets are heading in the right direction but the problem can't be fix overnight like Vegas. Vegas has an advantage and we all know what it is.
The problems with the Jets imo is their loyally and of course the small market so it takes a little bit longer.
Seriously who thought the Jets would have a 52 win season?
The locker room problems were fixed and your #1 center and goalie were signed to long term good contracts ... that's a lot done in one year.
The playoffs showed what the Jets next problem that needs to be fixed ... the defense.
Hopefully Chevy can do that over the summer if not one more year until Pionk and Schmidt's contracts expire.
And yes yes yes replace Lauer bring in a fresh mind to fix that pathetic PK.
The rookies not playing or given a chance I still have not figured that one out ... either they are not ready or the Jets don't want their ELC contracts kicking in or they want a decent Moose team bringing in revenue.
How do rookies get experience if they don't play?
You had me until the Moose part. If they wanted a better Moose team they would just sign more Sgarbossa's and Griffiths.

Lambert needed a reset to his career after being rushed to a pro team. That nearly destroyed his career.

I can't believe anyone would be upset over little Chibi needing to gain some strength.

Heinola, I get it. People fail to understand that the AHL isn't just shitty NHL. You can get away with a small tool box of high skills. Sorry, it takes more than that in the NHL. Heinola needs to be able to play defense and cause turnovers. There is a myth that this skill isn't needed. He should just be able to stand around waiting for the other 4 players to turn the puck over and give it to him. It doesn't work that way.

Maukkis

EZ4ENCE
Mar 16, 2016

If this is true then the Jets are even more downbad than we thought. If this by Murat is to be believed then they not only don't consider Pionk as a problem but are also thinking about re-signing him albeit at a different cap value.

The Jets' FO being incompetent with their approach to veteran players should not come as a surprise to anyone who knows their shit. That said, it never gets any easier to stomach.

Heinola's agent should already be preparing an exit for him. A lot of people here probably believe that he gets one of the third pairing slots for next year, but we've seen him get passed by several worse defensemen before. It's going to happen again.

It's mostly the Finn in me that thinks this, but I have never wanted anyone to get claimed from waivers more than Ville next October. We don't deserve him at this point.

Reactions: hn777

Channelcat

Unhinged user
Feb 8, 2013
Canada
The Jets' FO being incompetent with their approach to veteran players should not come as a surprise to anyone who knows their shit. That said, it never gets any easier to stomach.

Heinola's agent should already be preparing an exit for him. A lot of people here probably believe that he gets one of the third pairing slots for next year, but we've seen him get passed by several worse defensemen before. It's going to happen again.

It's mostly the Finn in me that thinks this, but I have never wanted anyone to get claimed from waivers more than Ville next October. We don't deserve him at this point.
I think the plan is to have Ville in the top 6 next year. I dearly hope he can stay healthy, but unfortunately he appears to be injury prone and probably regressed slightly this year

JetsUK

Oct 1, 2015
I think the plan is to have Ville in the top 6 next year. I dearly hope he can stay healthy, but unfortunately he appears to be injury prone and probably regressed slightly this year

To be fair, that was a pretty common play that turned into a tricky injury for a player who's been pretty sturdy to date.

I'd reckon Ville has had more risk from a popcorn-related injury whilst rotting in the PB than on the ice for the Jets in recent years.

The optimist in me is hoping that Murat is preparing the troops to to rebel with a great hue and cry if Pionk is extended. Greater concern is hanging onto Stan and playing size over skill, again.

But nothing would surprise me with this management and their take on what matters most in a defender.

TS Quint

Sep 8, 2012

The veteran filled Jets that just finished 4th in the league shows the Jets front office is incompetent because they don't put Heinola in the line up. But anyone who disagrees is the one who doesnt know their shit?

I know the playoff stings but I think we need to take a step back. It's a weird thing when people become bigger fans of prospects than they do the team.

bustamente

Kinda Optimistic
Jun 29, 2015
Fraud City MB
First order of business is what happens with Bones, is he back or not, if yes who from his coaching is back and who goes, if not lets get on with the coaching hunt unless it has been preordained that Arniel is next in line like many seen to think

TS Quint

Sep 8, 2012
To be fair, that was a pretty common play that turned into a tricky injury for a player who's been pretty sturdy to date.

I'd reckon Ville has had more risk from a popcorn-related injury whilst rotting in the PB than on the ice for the Jets in recent years.

The optimist in me is hoping that Murat is preparing the troops to to rebel with a great hue and cry if Pionk is extended. Greater concern is hanging onto Stan and playing size over skill, again.

But nothing would surprise me with this management and their take on what matters most in a defender.
Hellebuyck wants size. He wants more Brendan Dillon who was strong enough to move guys in front of the net to let him see. When you build your team around a goaltender you need to play to his strengths.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad