Dean Evason
Craig Berube
Gerard Gallant
Lane Lambert
Dave Hakstol
Sheldon Keefe
David Carle

Yep.

Lambert (Big Bad Brad relly) and Carle (young kids and has his pick o jobs) are all but ruled out, and Keefe isn't fired yet.

That leaves a smaller subset (of this list).

Of those left on the list;

- Darth Deanius is from Flin Flon*, has the high-potency death star of a Sith and HATES TO LOSE!!!

- Gallant is angry and tough like a 30s bank heist dude and he and Red Hakstol seem to wear out their welcomes fast, not ideal in a TNSE Loyalty Situation

- Woodie needs a good goalie (check) and doesn't hate da kids

- Berube won a cup but may (or may not) hate da kids.

- Tender Todd McLellan is a players' coach and comes from LA, so Chevy might think of him as effectively a local at this point

- Nelson looks interesting, very smart and winning-y, and is likely hired by the Leafs (or someone else) after interviewing, b/c he and Carle are 2024 Trotz

- And Arniel is in situ, and will be able to reapply for the job

My picks: Nelson, Woodie, Mac, Berube, Arniel, Darth D

* As always, add a bonus point for anyone who "knows the town and market" and / or has played / worked for or played golf with Chippers or Chevs

Last edited:

surixon

Jul 12, 2003
Winnipeg
His bit on Todd Nelson :

"Todd Nelson
Nelson is one of three people to win the AHL’s Calder Cup as a player, assistant coach and head coach, and his Hershey Bears currently lead the Lehigh Valley Phantoms 2-0 in the Atlantic Division semifinals. Nelson has NHL head coaching experience — he took over from Dallas Eakins in Edmonton on the Oilers’ way to drafting Connor McDavid in 2015. Nelson’s record on that team (17-22-7, compared to Eakins’ 7-19-5) wasn’t enough to convince Edmonton to keep him around; instead, he took over the AHL’s Grand Rapids Griffins, with whom he won the 2017 Calder Cup.

Nelson has ties to Winnipeg. He worked with Bowness on Montgomery’s staff in Dallas, then for Bowness when the Stars went to the Stanley Cup Final in 2020. He worked for Cheveldayoff as an assistant coach with the Chicago Wolves for two seasons in the AHL.

Most importantly, Nelson has won at every level. As head coach, he’s a UHL champion, a two-time AHL champion and has a chance to go back-to-back with Hershey after posting a 53-14-5 record during the regular season — a feat that earned him coach of the year honours"

He'd be an interesting choice. He's certainly done all that he can to earn a full time NHL coaching gig.

Aries56

Jan 10, 2011
Winnipeg, MB
I just hope we get a coach with a balanced system and can make adjustments to counter the team we're playing, like Colorado did to us.

I worry that we stick with Arniel and he just continues Bones' defensive system and we continue to have a stagnant team.

Our PP and PK struggled because the players weren't moving their legs, they were too predictable. Same thing anytime we needed to generate offense, it was the same attempt over and over to get into the offensive zone, then cycle the puck around the perimeter resulting in a shot into a defender that brings the puck back the other way. We never got good chances because the puck was moving, but the players weren't.

GeorgeJETson

Hnidy probably has us on his no trade list
Sponsor
Sep 30, 2016
*snip* Same thing anytime we needed to generate offense, it was the same attempt over and over to get into the offensive zone, then cycle the puck around the perimeter resulting in a shot into a defender that brings the puck back the other way. We never got good chances because the puck was moving, but the players weren't.

In reading this part of your comment, it eerily reminds me of the Jets' offense while under PoMo.

Maybe the issue is with the combinations of players we have? 🤷‍♂️

Reactions: kellhunter

kanadalainen

A pint of dark matter, please.
Jan 7, 2017
The 100th Meridian
Creed Bratton (Dean Evason) was discussed in today's Athletic.

1715197692577.jpeg

USATSI_16893350-1024x683.jpg

0_22-times-creed-bratton-from-the-office-did-someth-2-26939-1445450066-0_dblbig.jpg

rehf

Fueled by Maurice
Feb 15, 2013
Winnipeg
Not convinced it's going to be anyone but Arniel. That would be such a lame, TNSE choice.

After the PP and PK failures last year, Lauer and Arniel should not be anywhere near this team - arguably any NHL team.

I'll honestly give anyone a chance as long as it's not Arniel. If it is Arniel, hopefully I'm wrong and I can eat some crow but I suspect it will be more of the same.

surixon

Jul 12, 2003
Winnipeg
Not convinced it's going to be anyone but Arniel. That would be such a lame, TNSE choice.

After the PP and PK failures last year, Lauer and Arniel should not be anywhere near this team - arguably any NHL team.

I'll honestly give anyone a chance as long as it's not Arniel. If it is Arniel, hopefully I'm wrong and I can eat some crow but I suspect it will be more of the same.

If we want to condem Arniel for the PK this year we should give credit for its performance the year before when we finished 7th.

kanadalainen

A pint of dark matter, please.
Jan 7, 2017
The 100th Meridian

You may need to restructure/retrofit that awesome avatar of yours. :)

Reactions: Eyeseeing

Keystone

Apr 30, 2011
Manitoba
He'd be an interesting choice. He's certainly done all that he can to earn a full time NHL coaching gig.

I can’t believe he hasn’t gotten another shot yet. I know he’s been who I’ve always come back to since our 2019 plummet. If Nelson doesn’t get a head coach job this year I’ll be shocked but he might have some options other than the jets. Maybe he gives horrible interviews

surixon

Jul 12, 2003
Winnipeg
I've always liked Keefe and would be onboard with him as a coach.

Pros:
He cut his teeth in the fishbowl market of Toronto so he'd be able to handle this market no problem.

His teams win in the regular seasons and for an org who wants to be in the playoffs every year his track record would show that he's likely yo get you there.

Excellent PP under him. 3 of 4 years in top 10.

He plays a balanced system and allows his skilled forwards to shine while not giving up that much defensively. Every year top 10 in scoring and chance generation while 3/4 years top 3rd in GA and chanced against.

Done it with a mediocre at best dcore so we know he would be able to handle ours.

Cons:
Hasn't been able to replicate regular season success into the playoffs.

The PK is below average.

sipowicz

The thrill is gone
Mar 16, 2011
I've always liked Keefe and would be onboard with him as a coach.

Pros:
He cut his teeth in the fishbowl market of Toronto so he'd be able to handle this market no problem.

His teams win in the regular seasons and for an org who wants to be in the playoffs every year his track record would show that he's likely yo get you there.

Excellent PP under him. 3 of 4 years in top 10.

He plays a balanced system and allows his skilled forwards to shine while not giving up that much defensively. Every year top 10 in scoring and chance generation while 3/4 years top 3rd in GA and chanced against.

Done it with a mediocre at best dcore so we know he would be able to handle ours.

Cons:
Hasn't been able to replicate regular season success into the playoffs.

The PK is below average.
He's also 20 years younger than Arneil!

Reactions: The Blue Baron

cbcwpg

May 18, 2010
Between the Pipes

"It’s insanity," Dallas Stars head coach Peter DeBoer, hired in 2022, told TSN Hockey Insider Pierre LeBrun on Thursday. "We coach in an age where everyone talks about the modern athlete, building relationships in order to coach them. How do you do that with that kind of turnover? It’s like going on a date and getting married and divorced before the appetizers show up.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad