Winnipeg Jets 2024-25 Coaching Thread

SensibleGuy

Nov 26, 2011
I wouldn't be opposed to Berube at all personally. In fact, I'd like to see a SC winning coach here. But, Arniel already has the job.

MarkWheeler

Dec 16, 2018
I don't think we really can glean much about Arniel's performance when Bones was away. While I'm sure he had some autonomy in the individual games running the bench, he was still ultimately using Bones's play book.

It's been so long that he has been a head coach that I'm not really sure what systems Arniel prefers to run.
There’s a reason for that

tbcwpg

Jan 25, 2011
Are folks opposed to Berube? Helped develop great young players like Kyrou, Thomas and Dunn.
Stanley Cup winner and ~0.6 pts% in STL with Binnington as the goalie.

Could see him in Toronto.

Mortimer Snerd

You kids get off my lawn!
Sponsor
Jun 10, 2014

Social media is not real life, and if this was put to a poll, I guarantee at least 75% of voters would be in favour of Q'a return, as long as it was anonymous. I would welcome Quenneville back to the NHL with open arms.

Q is never going to coach again, regardless of what any poll might say.
And that it is not "cancel culture". It is consequences.

surixon

Jul 12, 2003
Winnipeg
I'm skeptical on just how good a coach Berube is. Is he really good or did he just catch lightning in a bottle after taking over halfway through the year he won a cup.

His metrics in four full and a half seasons since that win aren't very good. The Blues have finished no better then 22 nd in XGF%. The PK outside of 21-22 has been bottom third of the league. The one good thing is he has three straight years of a top 4 PP.

I think he'd bring an upper echelon pp to the table here, but our PK would still be poor, and I'm not confident he'd be as good 5 on 4 as Bones was.

tbcwpg

Jan 25, 2011
I'm skeptical on just how good a coach Berube is. Is he really good or did he just catch lightning in a bottle after taking over halfway through the year he won a cup.

His metrics in four full and a half seasons since that win aren't very good. The Blues have finished no better then 22 nd in XGF%. The PK outside of 21-22 has been bottom third of the league. The one good thing is he has three straight years of a top 4 PP.

I think he'd bring an upper echelon pp to the table here, but our PK would still be poor, and I'm not confident he'd be as good 5 on 4 as Bones was.

My hot take is that the Blues, as constructed, were not a very good team to begin with. I'm not sure I can take much out of his stint with the Blues.

Reactions: kellhunter

surixon

Jul 12, 2003
Winnipeg
My hot take is that the Blues, as constructed, were not a very good team to begin with. I'm not sure I can take much out of his stint with the Blues.

Very possible. I admit I haven't followed them in enough detail to really have a good enough handle on the strength of their team.

WpgSteve

Nov 5, 2018

Gm0ney

Unicorns salient
Oct 12, 2011
Winnipeg
TNSE would get crucified in the media if they hired Quenneville. I don't see them inviting that kind of negativity, especially with soft attendance as it is.
I mean, they circled the wagons for Chevy who was in the room at the time and said nothing. But I think he was just taking minutes... :sarcasm:

Reactions: MarkWheeler

TS Quint

GET THESE ADS OUT OF MY WAY!
Sep 8, 2012
I don't want any Torts, Babs or Suter or any of those old school coaches anywhere near this team. These guys tend to have a 1 season shelf life where they get guys to buy in and then lose the room in a season. Not only that they tend to drive away players nearly everywhere they go because no one actually wants to play for them.

We need some fresh blood on this coaching staff. Not another retread has been.
Most players love playing for Torts. He's fair and expects the same from everyone. Fragile egomaniacs like PLD don't like playing for Torts. Ric Nash didn't like being told he had to play defense but respected him in the end. Brad Richards loved him. Torts will have a discussion with any player about hockey.

He would be the perfect fit for the Leafs if Shannahan wasn't so scared of offending his overpaid stars.

Last edited:
Reactions: ps241

TS Quint

Sep 8, 2012
I mean, they circled the wagons for Chevy who was in the room at the time and said nothing. But I think he was just taking minutes... :sarcasm:
Chevy, the invisible man who nobody knew was even there. Didn't he come forward and everyone else there was like "are you sure? I don't remember that".

Daximus

Wow, what a terrific audience.
Sponsor
Oct 11, 2014
Five Hills
Most players love playing for Torts. He's fair and expects the same from everyone. Fragile egomaniacs like PLD don't like playing for Torts. Ric Nash didn't like being told he had to play defense but respected him in the end. Brad Richards loved him. Torts will have a discussion with any player about hockey.

He would be the perfect fit for the Leafs if Shannahan wasn't so scared of offending his overpaid stars.

That's the problem. Torts gets one year of playing trap hockey out of guys before everyone gives up. Every single one of his teams but one has mailed it in after 1 season with him.

Maybe they respect him, they sure as hell don't always play like they do.

We might get one good season out of him before all our good players start heading for the hills though. Maybe he makes it worth it. Doubtful but maybe.

Reactions: kellhunter

surixon

Jul 12, 2003
Winnipeg

PLD actually recommended Torts to Jets brass. I don't think he had any issues playing for him. I think his issues where around Torts blasting him in the press for wanting out as a means of galvanizing the rest of the team.

I think if he left the media circus behind him I think he'd have more fans.

TS Quint

Sep 8, 2012
That's the problem. Torts gets one year of playing trap hockey out of guys before everyone gives up. Every single one of his teams but one has mailed it in after 1 season with him.

Maybe they respect him, they sure as hell don't always play like they do.

We might get one good season out of him before all our good players start heading for the hills though. Maybe he makes it worth it. Doubtful but maybe.

Not true

Daximus

Wow, what a terrific audience.
Sponsor
Oct 11, 2014
Five Hills
No one even asked you if you wanted him. I didn't even suggest him for the Jets. The facts prove the 2x Jack Adams winner and Stanley Cup Champion isn't a one and done. I even gave you a link.

This a forum we discuss things. No one asked you anything either yet here you are blurting out your opinion just like the rest of us.

The facts don't prove that at all. The Lightning is the only team that didn't quit on him after 1 season, they Won a cup, then they quit on him. Everywhere else he's gone since he's become tired after one season. Only reason he's still around is because people find his outbursts entertaining.

Jet's will never hire that hack anyways so it's a moot point.

Orrrules

Mar 6, 2021
Frankie Corrado nailed it. Jets need a coach who can get the most out of 55, 81 etc. Difficult to say who that might be, but I do believe that Scheifele is the sort of guy who would respond to a hard nosed coach.
I would add that you need to surround 55 with the right type of wingers. 81 isn't a good roll model for 55.

Reactions: Mortimer Snerd

TS Quint

Sep 8, 2012
This a forum we discuss things. No one asked you anything either yet here you are blurting out your opinion just like the rest of us.

The facts don't prove that at all. The Lightning is the only team that didn't quit on him after 1 season, they Won a cup, then they quit on him. Everywhere else he's gone since he's become tired after one season. Only reason he's still around is because people find his outbursts entertaining.

Jet's will never hire that hack anyways so it's a moot point.
1715107582565.png

I don't know why this is so upsetting for you. I stated the facts and gave you a link. My opinion was he would be good for the Leafs. If you would like to discuss my actual opinion you can start any time.

nabby12

Nov 11, 2008
Winnipeg
Dean Evason or Craig Berube would be best-case scenario.

Arniel has already been given the job though.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad