Prospect Info: Winnipeg Jets 2020 2nd Round Pick

Whileee

May 29, 2010
Most of our draft discussion has focused on the 1st round pick (#10 overall), but the Jets have another relatively high value pick in the second round - #40 overall. This draft has some interesting options in that range, so this thread is to discuss potential picks for the Jets at #40.

Here is a list of Mckenzie's draft rankings, based on NHL scout interviews. His list tends to become less reliable at this range of the draft, but I wonder how others rank players in this range.

upload_2020-9-11_9-1-58.png

upload_2020-9-11_9-2-46.png

Mortimer Snerd

You kids get off my lawn!
Sponsor
Jun 10, 2014
Most of our draft discussion has focused on the 1st round pick (#10 overall), but the Jets have another relatively high value pick in the second round - #40 overall. This draft has some interesting options in that range, so this thread is to discuss potential picks for the Jets at #40.

Here is a list of Mckenzie's draft rankings, based on NHL scout interviews. His list tends to become less reliable at this range of the draft, but I wonder how others rank players in this range.

View attachment 366911
View attachment 366912

I'm hoping that either Helge Grans or Justin Barron falls to us there. Their rankings are all over the place so it is not impossible.

Whileee

May 29, 2010
Jets draft by position 2011 to 2019.JPG
Looking at past history, the Jets seem to focus more on BPA in round 1, regardless of position. They've drafted as many wingers as D, and fewer centers with their 1st round picks.

However, in rounds 2-4 the Jets have focused heavily on drafting C and D, with fewer wingers and only 1 goalie.

In rounds 5-7, the Jets tend to pick a lot of goalies, and a smattering of the skating positions, suggesting that they are drafting skaters more by ranking than position in the later stages of the draft.

So, if past is prologue, then I think it's highly likely that the Jets will be looking at D and C with their 2nd round pick (#40).

Edit: needed to revise chart due to data error.

Last edited:

Joe Hallenback

Mar 4, 2005
I would be fine with any of Wiesblatt,Cuylie,Hunt,Finley,Tuch or Sourdif.

I would be really happy with Similac I don't think he will be there
I like Kleven but he would be hated on these boards

Reactions: ps241

Calcutta

Oct 3, 2019
I'd go Weisblatt or Finlay I'd go for, just incase either can turn into our Wheeler replacement.

10Ducky10

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 5, 2015
Love to get Foerster but he won't be around at pick 40 or is it 41?

Atoyot

Jul 19, 2013
I like Wiesblatt, but if Nybeck is still available here I'm taking him. I don't think he will be despite Bobby M's ranking here.

ps241

The Ballad of Ville Bobby
Sponsor
Mar 10, 2010
I like Brisson, Wiesblatt, O'Rourke, Evangelista, and Mysak

Whileee

May 29, 2010
I have a few "groups"...

Smaller / second tier C's:

Robins
Khusnutdinov
Foudy
Bordeleau

Second tier D:

Barron
Grans
Niemela

Two-way 3 C:

Smilanic
Jan Mysak

Scoring winger:

Wiesblatt
Simontaival

10Ducky10

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 5, 2015
I already told ya they will be picking him at #10. ;)
Can't remember you saying that to be honest but I think that is a bit too far out there, even for Chevy.
I wonder what it would take to trade up for him at the end of the 1st round if he is still there?

Daximus

Wow, what a terrific audience.
Sponsor
Oct 11, 2014
Five Hills
I'd love to swing for the fences on Dylan Peterson if he's still there at 40.

6'4, 192 lb center who can skate well, has good stickhandling and plays physical. He just hasn't been able to put it all together with the NTDP squad yet. Heading to Boston U soon and with some long development time, playing with a much better squad than he had this year, he might be able to put it all together. The tools are there in spades.

Reactions: GeorgeJETson

MardyBum

Jul 4, 2012
Winnipeg, Manitoba
Niemelä is a puck-mover who has the skating and smarts required to play that type of a role. But if you only look at stats, he may not look all that interesting. Seven points in 43 games this season. Eight points in 39 games before that. And nine points in 36 games before that.

But it is very important to notice that he has always played way above his age group. At age 15, he played in the under-18 league. At age 16, he played in the under-20 league. And at age 17, he’s playing in the men’s league. Whenever he’s played against his peers, he’s been excellent or even dominant.

Niemelä is a well-balanced, mobile defenseman with a terrific hockey IQ and smooth, precise edgework. He stickhandles well and has some good offensive tools, but they’re not elite. What he does well is process plays and make good decisions at high speed. He excels at identifying open areas and using his quick feet to maneuver into those spaces, making him difficult to both attack and defend.

On the defensive side of the puck, the right-handed Finn is positionally sound and good at anticipating the attack. At 6-feet, 163 pounds, he’s not the biggest guy on the ice, but Niemelä doesn’t shy away from physical battles, and has done so against older opponents all throughout his career

Gimme.

Reactions: Mortimer Snerd

Jets

All hat, no cattle.
Sponsor
Oct 23, 2010
Winnipeg
Knowing Chevy our pick is Dylan Peterson.

He checks all the Cheveldayoff draft boxes
- 6'4"
- Center
- American
- Slightly off the board
- USHL U18 Team

Not who I'd take, but that's my guess.

Reactions: Nedarb

nobody imp0rtant

Registered pessimist
May 23, 2018
Can't remember you saying that to be honest but I think that is a bit too far out there, even for Chevy.
I wonder what it would take to trade up for him at the end of the 1st round if he is still there?

To refresh your memory...
Who should the Jets draft - social isolation edition

I just like to make a few outré predictions so that should they come to pass, people will be saying wow that nobody important guy is the new Nostradamus. :nod:

Reactions: 10Ducky10

Whileee

May 29, 2010
Knowing Chevy our pick is Dylan Peterson.

He checks all the Cheveldayoff draft boxes
- 6'4"
- Center
- American
- Slightly off the board
- USHL U18 Team

Not who I'd take, but that's my guess.
Which was the previous selection in that mold? Connor? Roslovic? Copp? Appleton?

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad