Winnipeg Ice have been sold and are moving to Wenatchee, Washington

The Marquis

Aug 24, 2020
Washougal, WA
I've been to Wenatchee. Growing city for sure. But only 30k some people. This feels like an American version of Cranbrook, where the team was before. I am also surprised they didn't try a larger market.

There are 110k in that metro area making it the 8th smallest metro in the WHL, which is middle of the pack for a 22 team league. Also was second in BCHL attendance behind only Penticton. If they maintain attendance (they will improve for sure) they would be in the top half of attendance if they were in QMJHL and middle of OHL, but around 18th in WHL.

I’m very stoked. I grew up in one of those towns that’s in the metro of Wenatchee, albeit 45 minutes away… but we had to go to Wenatchee frequently for things since the town im from had almost nothing. Been a Wild fan since their inception. My family are Wild fans. Very very stoked about this. No longer have to travel to see them… I can just wait for them to come to Portland.

I do feel a bit bad for the people who worked for the Ice. That sucks. Hope most of that staff stay with the team.

Reactions: wetcoast

Walkingtalkingeye

Mar 28, 2012
The Whl can kiss my ass. I've been a fan of the league as long as I've been alive, went to my first wheat king game when I was just a few months old. I moved to winnipeg just a year before the Ice did.
They didn't build an arena "in the agreed upon timeline." You have got to be fuxking kidding me. They were here for only four years. The first year was abruptly cut off just a couple weeks before what would have been an extremely fun opening round match up with Brandon. Year two was played entirely in Regina. Year three was played with social distancing and mask regulations still in full effect. They had two of the four urinals taped off! This year was the first year played entirely free of covid concerns and it ended up with crowds over 5000 watching the WHL final. The league never gave them a chance.
I'm livid. The WHL thanked the fans in winnipeg in their exit statement but they can keep their thanks. They can fuxk off, they don't thank me one bit. They insisted upon an impossible schedule for the new arena even with THE WHOLE DAMN WORLD upended. They can blame the owners, and they're certainly not blameless, but the league are the ones that forced sale and ripped this team away before it could even get started.
What a disgrace.

DudeWhereIsMakar

Bergevin sent me an offer sheet
Apr 25, 2014
Winnipeg
As someone from Winnipeg I agree with the move. I think Wenatchee is a hockey town as they gave good support to the Wild in the BCHL and NAHL. Wenatchee was a little overdue for a WHL team.

Reactions: MiamiHockeyII

BE Friend

Jul 16, 2021
I wonder if the BCHL exorcism from Hockey Canada made it easier to pull the trigger on this deal? Gotta imagine there is a unwritten rule to not step on toes - league to league. IF you're in the club that is. Natch probably made money, Penticton is salivating.

Feb 7, 2012
Seattle
There are 110k in that metro area making it the 8th smallest metro in the WHL, which is middle of the pack for a 22 team league. Also was second in BCHL attendance behind only Penticton. If they maintain attendance (they will improve for sure) they would be in the top half of attendance if they were in QMJHL and middle of OHL, but around 18th in WHL.

I’m very stoked. I grew up in one of those towns that’s in the metro of Wenatchee, albeit 45 minutes away… but we had to go to Wenatchee frequently for things since the town im from had almost nothing. Been a Wild fan since their inception. My family are Wild fans. Very very stoked about this. No longer have to travel to see them… I can just wait for them to come to Portland.

I do feel a bit bad for the people who worked for the Ice. That sucks. Hope most of that staff stay with the team.

Seems like some of the staff will be staying (at least the ticket account executives/office manager-I'm already talking to them about visiting group packages for next year). Also the GM as well (Ice GM was one of the owners of the franchise in Winnipeg)

In more somber news though, I feel horrible for fans of the Ice. I know first hand what it feels like to get a franchise you follow ripped from you. I know this is a huge opportunity for fans of Wenatchee and fans of the other US division teams and re-balances the divisions.

Last edited:

The Marquis

Aug 24, 2020
Washougal, WA
Seems like some of the staff will be staying (at least the ticket account executives/office manager-I'm already talking to them about visiting group packages for next year). Also the GM as well (Ice GM was one of the owners of the franchise in Winnipeg)

In more somber news though, I feel horrible for fans of the Ice. I know first hand what it feels like to get a franchise you follow ripped from you. I know this is a huge opportunity for fans of Wenatchee and fans of the other US division teams and re-balances the divisions.

I'd normally feel sorry for the fans of a relocated team, but Winnipeg only had the team for a few short years and they've already got both NHL and AHL teams. I feel bad for the Kootenay Ice fans.

jetsmooseice

Let Chevy Cook
Feb 20, 2020
The Whl can kiss my ass. I've been a fan of the league as long as I've been alive, went to my first wheat king game when I was just a few months old. I moved to winnipeg just a year before the Ice did.
They didn't build an arena "in the agreed upon timeline." You have got to be fuxking kidding me. They were here for only four years. The first year was abruptly cut off just a couple weeks before what would have been an extremely fun opening round match up with Brandon. Year two was played entirely in Regina. Year three was played with social distancing and mask regulations still in full effect. They had two of the four urinals taped off! This year was the first year played entirely free of covid concerns and it ended up with crowds over 5000 watching the WHL final. The league never gave them a chance.
I'm livid. The WHL thanked the fans in winnipeg in their exit statement but they can keep their thanks. They can fuxk off, they don't thank me one bit. They insisted upon an impossible schedule for the new arena even with THE WHOLE DAMN WORLD upended. They can blame the owners, and they're certainly not blameless, but the league are the ones that forced sale and ripped this team away before it could even get started.
What a disgrace.
100% agree. I was an ICE STH, went to away games in 6 other cities in the last few years, bought merch, WHL TV, the whole bit. But the WHL is dead to me now. I will not buy WHL season tickets again after that act of betrayal towards the very fans they courted.

MiamiHockeyII

Mar 24, 2022
100% agree. I was an ICE STH, went to away games in 6 other cities in the last few years, bought merch, WHL TV, the whole bit. But the WHL is dead to me now. I will not buy WHL season tickets again after that act of betrayal towards the very fans they courted.
That betrayal is on the ICE ownership, not the WHL. They have a reputation a mile long of being questionable businesspeople, and the WHL regretted giving the franchise to them from day 1.

Reactions: Captain Crash

jetsmooseice

Let Chevy Cook
Feb 20, 2020
That betrayal is on the ICE ownership, not the WHL. They have a reputation a mile long of being questionable businesspeople, and the WHL regretted giving the franchise to them from day 1.

Read this post from the ICE thread in the Jets forum. We got screwed.

DudeWhereIsMakar

Bergevin sent me an offer sheet
Apr 25, 2014
Winnipeg
To be fair, I think the Wenatchee Wild will be ran better than the franchise was in Edmonton, Cranbrook and Winnipeg.

I think they are there to stay.

As for Winnipeg getting another WHL team. I think it will happen, they just need the right owners and arena in order for it to happen. I see it potentially happening in 2-10 years. But if anybody should buy one it should be TNSE. At this point, Steinbach and Portage La Prairie are better options than Winnipeg if TNSE aren't buying one.

Reactions: The Marquis

MiamiHockeyII

Mar 24, 2022

I have no doubt the ICE owner's friends think he is a swell guy.

But, I know for a fact that when they purchased the Kootenay ICE, they refused to honour the contracts of the ICE hockey staff (including coaches under contract). They simply stopped paying their contracted employees without warning. So, spare me the sob story about fans getting screwed. The ICE screwed their employees.

Wayne Fleming was not a tenable solution because its primary occupants is the University of Manitoba, which has two varsity teams and university courses that took precedent over the ICE. Visiting teams could not practice there during the day due to existing ice commitments, and practicing at the RINK then bussing their wet equipment to Wayne Fleming was not a viable option. Instead, teams stayed in Brandon, bussed to Winnipeg for the game and returned to Brandon after the game.

There is a reason the WHL wanted the ICE ownership gone.

jetsmooseice

Let Chevy Cook
Feb 20, 2020
Wayne Fleming was not a tenable solution because its primary occupants is the University of Manitoba, which has two varsity teams and university courses that took precedent over the ICE. Visiting teams could not practice there during the day due to existing ice commitments, and practicing at the RINK then bussing their wet equipment to Wayne Fleming was not a viable option. Instead, teams stayed in Brandon, bussed to Winnipeg for the game and returned to Brandon after the game.

I call shenanigans on that. I live in South Winnipeg and numerous times I saw WHL team buses parked at various area hotels like the Four Points, Hilton Garden Inn, Holiday Inn, etc. Not saying that no one ever did the Brandon after the game thing, but that was certainly not the rule.

Reactions: wetcoast

jetsmooseice

Let Chevy Cook
Feb 20, 2020
As for Winnipeg getting another WHL team. I think it will happen, they just need the right owners and arena in order for it to happen. I see it potentially happening in 2-10 years. But if anybody should buy one it should be TNSE. At this point, Steinbach and Portage La Prairie are better options than Winnipeg if TNSE aren't buying one.

Steinbach and Portage are small, like Swift Current small. They are both a bit far from Winnipeg to expect to draw people from the city. They also have new buildings (well, Steinbach is building one as we speak) that are only about half the size of a WHL building. And at today's prices I doubt they will be building new ones anytime soon. So I don't think there are any outlying towns in Manitoba that will be entering the WHL.

TNSE basically has a monopoly on the possibility of a WHL team in Winnipeg because they have the only suitable building. Fettes and Cockell have demonstrated that a temporary solution won't please the WHL. So unless someone antes up for a new arena and then applies for a franchise, TNSE (or someone who is able to work with them and get an arena lease) is the only game in town.

Walkingtalkingeye

Mar 28, 2012
Yeah, that's it actually. The WHL regretted giving them the franchise from day one. They wanted it away from them is the quickest possible way and the people of Winnipeg were given the shaft.

Listen. You can feel for the people of Kootenay and Winnipeg. Whatever happened in the past, the Ice ownership was ready to play in Winnipeg next season and the WHL said no. We are free to blame the WHL for that. We all wanted a new arena, but we're also capable of being more patient than they were. We're not unaware of how this all went down.

And to that guy up there that feels for the people of Kootenay but not for Winnipeg, screw you. I liked the Ice and I liked the WHL. This team leaving hurts me exactly as much as it hurt someone in Kootenay. I get no comfort knowing I can now spend five times the amount to watch the Jets.

The Marquis

Aug 24, 2020
Washougal, WA
Yeah, that's it actually. The WHL regretted giving them the franchise from day one. They wanted it away from them is the quickest possible way and the people of Winnipeg were given the shaft.

Listen. You can feel for the people of Kootenay and Winnipeg. Whatever happened in the past, the Ice ownership was ready to play in Winnipeg next season and the WHL said no. We are free to blame the WHL for that. We all wanted a new arena, but we're also capable of being more patient than they were. We're not unaware of how this all went down.

And to that guy up there that feels for the people of Kootenay but not for Winnipeg, screw you. I liked the Ice and I liked the WHL. This team leaving hurts me exactly as much as it hurt someone in Kootenay. I get no comfort knowing I can now spend five times the amount to watch the Jets.

You can watch the Moose.

IWillMakeTheNHL

May 13, 2023
C
Good riddance. It was a bad ownership group. They made a play to take over all youth and junior hockey in Winnipeg, and it's good to see them fail given how they have treated people.
can you elaborate into how they were planning to take over all the youth hockey?

MiamiHockeyII

Mar 24, 2022
Under the ba
C

can you elaborate into how they were planning to take over all the youth hockey?
Check out this pipeline of hockey development ... under the company name "50 Below Sports & Entertainment" they ...
1) Purchased the RINK Training Centre and built a new RINK
2) Purchased the Winnipeg ICE (WHL)
3) Purchased the Winnipeg Blues (MJHL)
4) Established a pay-for-play MJHL franchise - the Winnipeg Freeze
5) Established the RINK Hockey Academy ... an expensive alternative to U18 and U16 AAA that competes in the CSSHL
6) Purchased the two largest Spring Hockey programs in Winnipeg ... Manitoba Hockey Development (MHD) and the Mustangs.
If you look at how parents spend money for young players to develop, they start at age 7 with Spring Hockey. 50 Below owned the entire pipeline. That level of vertical integration is not good because it creates problematic relationships and conflicts of interest. For example, imagine a Winnipeg-based player from the RINK Hockey Academy entering the WHL Draft ... and that player has done all their Spring Hockey with the RINK. If you are another franchise thinking about drafting this player, how can you trust that the 50 Below organization will not undermine you? It's the same reason why agents are not allowed to work for players and teams ... conflicts of interest.

NorthStar

Dec 24, 2004
Winnipeg, MB
I had wanted to see the WHL here in Winnipeg for many years since I first saw a WHL playoff game between Brandon Wheat Kings and Medicine Hat Tigers back in 2011... thought why not one here? and later on when the WHL Kootenay Ice were moving here, I thought finally we can be part of the WHL but had concerns about how the Ice team was accepted here, like if it is enough as we already had the NHL Jets and the AHL Moose ... seemed some good ones but the main problem like everyone say here in this topic, a new arena was needed .. one major roadblock was TSNE with the NHL arena, which was why it was hard to get a new secondary arena going fast.. also the Ice owners here should have done better but I heard they were gonna be "loss leaders" meaning they can afford to lose some money while owning the team.. and the U of M arena was smaller as I can see on tv via internet steaming as I saw a few Ice home games this recent season...

I already had bought a Wpg Ice hat and pennant and was planning on maybe buying a Wpg Ice jersey and finally go to the WHL Ice games but now that it all was done with the sudden move from Manitoba to Washington state.. that gonna hurt for a while but maybe in the future a proper ownership group can manage to get a new arena set up (with 100% no interference from TSNE which I'm suspicious of blocking anything due to the main arena contract that says only the top arena in Winnipeg for games and concerts and etc if I remember one article from years ago??) and then get a team to move to Winnipeg and be set up right finally.. can only dream about that for now... Just my opinion, really TSNE and even the old Ice owners should have set aside the big issues and worked together to ensure we have junior hockey here for the long term but I guess not... just sad to lose the team after only 4 years of their move from BC...

jetsmooseice

Let Chevy Cook
Feb 20, 2020
I had wanted to see the WHL here in Winnipeg for many years since I first saw a WHL playoff game between Brandon Wheat Kings and Medicine Hat Tigers back in 2011... thought why not one here? and later on when the WHL Kootenay Ice were moving here, I thought finally we can be part of the WHL but had concerns about how the Ice team was accepted here, like if it is enough as we already had the NHL Jets and the AHL Moose ... seemed some good ones but the main problem like everyone say here in this topic, a new arena was needed .. one major roadblock was TSNE with the NHL arena, which was why it was hard to get a new secondary arena going fast.. also the Ice owners here should have done better but I heard they were gonna be "loss leaders" meaning they can afford to lose some money while owning the team.. and the U of M arena was smaller as I can see on tv via internet steaming as I saw a few Ice home games this recent season...

I already had bought a Wpg Ice hat and pennant and was planning on maybe buying a Wpg Ice jersey and finally go to the WHL Ice games but now that it all was done with the sudden move from Manitoba to Washington state.. that gonna hurt for a while but maybe in the future a proper ownership group can manage to get a new arena set up (with 100% no interference from TSNE which I'm suspicious of blocking anything due to the main arena contract that says only the top arena in Winnipeg for games and concerts and etc if I remember one article from years ago??) and then get a team to move to Winnipeg and be set up right finally.. can only dream about that for now... Just my opinion, really TSNE and even the old Ice owners should have set aside the big issues and worked together to ensure we have junior hockey here for the long term but I guess not... just sad to lose the team after only 4 years of their move from BC...

I am not a TNSE apologist by any means but I don't think TNSE can be held up as the bad guy here. It was reported when Canada Life Centre was first built that TNSE's agreement with government stipulated that no public subsidies would be paid to any competing arenas within the City of Winnipeg. This was a reasonable request given the large amount of money that TNSE put up to build the arena.

You need to note two things about this: that agreement does not prevent anyone from putting up their own money to build a rink. Also, even if the agreement didn't exist, I'm not sure the political will would be there to subsidize a second rink. The City of Winnipeg has been pretty strapped for cash since the pandemic and I'm not sure that dumping money into a secondary arena would be politically astute right now. This is not Moose Jaw where the WHL is the biggest game in town, the WHL had its fanbase but it was still a bit of an afterthought in Winnipeg. Politicians would not be tripping over themselves to give money to Fettes and Cockell even if the TNSE agreement wasn't preventing them from doing so.

I guess you might say that TNSE could have provided the ICE with a home at CLC, but they didn't owe that to Fettes and Cockell. They could have done it, but it was totally their prerogative to say no. While playing CLC would have saved the team, from my perspective, having ICE games at CLC would have been a downgrade from playing at the U of M. At least the atmosphere at the U of M was good even if there were only 1,000 fans in the building. Having that few people at CLC would have made it absolutely dead. Plus paying CLC prices for everything would have sucked.

Totally agree that it's sad to lose the team after only four years, though. They may not have been front page news in Winnipeg but the ICE were definitely carving out a following. There will never be bang for the buck like that in Winnipeg ever again from a hockey perspective, at least not within our lifetimes haha.

Last edited:

NorthStar

Dec 24, 2004
Winnipeg, MB
I am not a TNSE apologist by any means but I don't think TNSE can be held up as the bad guy here. It was reported when Canada Life Centre was first built that TNSE's agreement with government stipulated that no public subsidies would be paid to any competing arenas within the City of Winnipeg. This was a reasonable request given the large amount of money that TNSE put up to build the arena.

You need to note two things about this: that agreement does not prevent anyone from putting up their own money to build a rink. Also, even if the agreement didn't exist, I'm not sure the political will would be there to subsidize a second rink. The City of Winnipeg has been pretty strapped for cash since the pandemic and I'm not sure that dumping money into a secondary arena would be politically astute right now. This is not Moose Jaw where the WHL is the biggest game in town, the WHL had its fanbase but it was still a bit of an afterthought in Winnipeg. Politicians would not be tripping over themselves to give money to Fettes and Cockell even if the TNSE agreement wasn't preventing them from doing so.

I guess you might say that TNSE could have provided the ICE with a home at CLC, but they didn't owe that to Fettes and Cockell. They could have done it, but it was totally their prerogative to say no. While playing CLC would have saved the team, from my perspective, having ICE games at CLC would have been a downgrade from playing at the U of M. At least the atmosphere at the U of M was good even if there were only 1,000 fans in the building. Having that few people at CLC would have made it absolutely dead. Plus paying CLC prices for everything would have sucked.

Totally agree that it's sad to lose the team after only four years, though. They may not have been front page news in Winnipeg but the ICE were definitely carving out a following. There will never be bang for the buck like that in Winnipeg ever again from a hockey perspective, at least not within our lifetimes haha.

OK yeah TNSE would not be blamed for all this but I have to wonder if they could have done more to help support and encourage another opportunity to have a 2nd arena built to service the WHL Ice for years? I had thought the Ice would play at CLC but as ya have pointed out, that would be a bad idea as to the size of the rink and how to fill the rink completely.. could make that look like a dark and gloomy place compared to the small U of M rink that could be lively as well... so yeah it would have been nice to see a 2nd arena to help for the Ice to play at after playing the last 4 years at the U of M arena...

Could it be possible in a few years maybe the city of Winnipeg will decide to try to have the 2nd arena built and try to get someone to help bring back the WHL there if the situation is right and done properly? I do hope so but I guess the WHL might have to think long and hard about returning to Winnipeg again...

jetsmooseice

Let Chevy Cook
Feb 20, 2020
Could it be possible in a few years maybe the city of Winnipeg will decide to try to have the 2nd arena built and try to get someone to help bring back the WHL there if the situation is right and done properly? I do hope so but I guess the WHL might have to think long and hard about returning to Winnipeg again...

I think the WHL was reluctant to come to Winnipeg in the first place... it was only the promise of a new arena in a large market that enticed them. As soon as it became clear that the new arena dream fizzled, that was the end of the ICE. The only way the WHL returns to Winnipeg is if a new arena is built and ready to go. No small feat considering that a building like that would probably cost nearly $100 million at today's prices, I certainly don't expect that to happen anytime soon.

Bottom line, we went nearly 40 years between WHL teams in Winnipeg, I would expect it will probably be at least that long before the next kick at the can.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad