NBA Winning Time (HBO Series)

Hasbro

Family Friend
Sponsor
Apr 1, 2004
South Rectangle
Not sure if I should put this in the NBA or Entertainment forum.

Loving Season 2. I feel like the good casting makes up for some of the more fabulized elements.

Being a Nuggets fan I was particularly interested in the Westhead arc since he ended up coaching in Denver during two comical seasons.

The Bird episode may have been the best of the season so far, but it did have the best narrative to work with. I hope Red Auerbach gets similar treatment.

Reactions: Tuggy
Sep 19, 2008
I'm a lakers fan and something just seems disturbing about manipulating history for their narrative. I refuse to watch this show despite it covering my team because of all the creative license involved. Wow, do you mean to tell me Jerry West wasn't really a drunk?

Reactions: Elvis P and DaveG

Hasbro

Family Friend
Sponsor
Apr 1, 2004
South Rectangle
I'm a lakers fan and something just seems disturbing about manipulating history for their narrative. I refuse to watch this show despite it covering my team because of all the creative license involved. Wow, do you mean to tell me Jerry West wasn't really a drunk?
To me Laker and Celtics die hards hating the series so much is a feature not a bug.

Reactions: DaaaaB's

Terry Yake

Aug 5, 2013
To me Laker and Celtics die hards hating the series so much is a feature not a bug.
he's a wizards fan

the show is great and highly entertaining. unfortunately it's not looking like there will be a season 3 though. jeff pearlman (the author of the book the show is based on) has been on twitter basically begging people to watch it. HBO has done a piss poor job of marketing it (had no idea season 2 had even started until a week or two ago) and because of the strikes, the actors themselves haven't been able to promote it

Reactions: Voight

Hasbro

Family Friend
Sponsor
Apr 1, 2004
South Rectangle
he's a wizards fan

the show is great and highly entertaining. unfortunately it's not looking like there will be a season 3 though. jeff pearlman (the author of the book the show is based on) has been on twitter basically begging people to watch it. HBO has done a piss poor job of marketing it (had no idea season 2 had even started until a week or two ago) and because of the strikes, the actors themselves haven't been able to promote it
HBO has been a dumpster fire lately. Not sure about having a basketball series on during the NBA off season too.

I wonder how they pace the rest of the season. The Lakers won the next title and then the Fo' Fo' Fo' Sixers took the rematch (God help them if they don't give Moses Malone his due!), which with Boston as the prime antagonist isn't the best for pacing. SPOILER the prologue from the premiere, the Lakers go on to lose that finals, which is where I think S2 will end.

Last edited:
Sep 19, 2008
he's a wizards fan

The show is so overrated and takes huge liberties with what happened. In good conscience I can't watch it

yes. he's 100% a wizards fan. if @darko still posted here he'd say the same thing
You can be a fan of both. I live in DC but Jack Kent Cooke used to own the Lakers and the Redskins so I was always a Lakers fan because of that.

I'm surprised any Lakers fan would watch this drek. It's a shame because pearl man is a good author but the HBO producers f***ed this show up big time.

Reactions: DaveG and DaaaaB's

Terry Yake

Aug 5, 2013
HBO has been a dumpster fire lately. Not sure about having a basketball series on during the NBA off season too.

I wonder how they pace the rest of the season. The Lakers won the next title and then the Fo' Fo' Fo' Sixers took the rematch (God help them if they don't give Moses Malone his due!), which with Boston as the prime antagonist isn't the best for pacing. SPOILER the prologue from the premiere, the Lakers go on to lose that finals, which is where I think S2 will end.
yeah, releasing it during the offseason is a head scratcher. not sure why they couldn't have just waited until around the time the season began, not to mention football season just started so lots of sports fans are paying attention to that

i think pearlman (accidentally?) revealed on twitter that the season ends with boston winning, so i'm assuming it ends after the '84 finals loss

Hasbro

Family Friend
Sponsor
Apr 1, 2004
South Rectangle
That was about 3 episodes worth of material they stuffed into that hour.

I get the two year lead up to the Celtic's showdown is a narrative huddle, but the Kareem house fire would have benefited from a slower burn and West getting rid of Nixon was way uglier (hired PIs to watch Norm in hopes of catching him using drugs).

Should have devoted an episode to the fallout from Fo' Fo' Fo', the Nixon trade and Buss's marriage breaking up.

Jussi

Feb 28, 2002
Mojo Dojo Casa House
The Pat Riley hiring presser seemed to have gone like it actually went. If that had happened today, imagine the reactions online... :laugh: Anyone else fastforward the Magic & Cookie bits? Least interesting parts. Riley also finally got bigger role than West., who I can't fault for not liking the characterization of himself in this show.

Reactions: John Price

Jussi

Feb 28, 2002
Mojo Dojo Casa House
A bit of a dud finale. Felt like they should've ended it with the commercial shoot. Larry's mom felt well cast and gave the kind of impression that Magic would have won her over easily. Seems they kind the game history stuff more accurately in this season than the first one. But.. the Honey Kaplan storyline. Looked up and she doesn't exist, possibly an amalgamation of two people, or most likely "Puppi" Buss. It felt off and stupid. Curious why this season was only 7 episodes as well, could've easily jumped to the following season's finals in a 10 episode season. But the ending did feel like they knew fairly early that there wasn't going to be a 3rd season.

Terry Yake

Aug 5, 2013
good riddance. if you want to make a documentary fine but don't fluff the facts.
no one has ever claimed winning time was supposed to be a documentary. the entire series was based on jeff pearlman's book about the showtime lakers

A bit of a dud finale. Felt like they should've ended it with the commercial shoot. Larry's mom felt well cast and gave the kind of impression that Magic would have won her over easily. Seems they kind the game history stuff more accurately in this season than the first one. But.. the Honey Kaplan storyline. Looked up and she doesn't exist, possibly an amalgamation of two people, or most likely "Puppi" Buss. It felt off and stupid. Curious why this season was only 7 episodes as well, could've easily jumped to the following season's finals in a 10 episode season. But the ending did feel like they knew fairly early that there wasn't going to be a 3rd season.
they probably knew it was getting axed and had to rush things. that's probably why the previous episode was nearly 2 years worth of events crammed into one episode

Sep 19, 2008
no one has ever claimed winning time was supposed to be a documentary. the entire series was based on jeff pearlman's book about the showtime lakers

they probably knew it was getting axed and had to rush things. that's probably why the previous episode was nearly 2 years worth of events crammed into one episode
if the show was successful the show runner wouldn't have had to beg people online to watch the content he wrote :laugh: ratings were pretty bad for this show. When I look online many people said "I didn't know a season 2 was going on."

Again, I love "my" Lakers, but this wasn't it. Highly fictionalized dreck. Shame because a lot of other fans feel different.

Terry Yake

Aug 5, 2013
if the show was successful the show runner wouldn't have had to beg people online to watch the content he wrote :laugh: ratings were pretty bad for this show. When I look online many people said "I didn't know a season 2 was going on."

Again, I love "my" Lakers, but this wasn't it. Highly fictionalized dreck. Shame because a lot of other fans feel different.
the ratings for season 1 were fine. season 2 ratings suffered from poor marketing, bad timing on its release date in contrast with season 1, and more importantly, the strikes which prevented the cast from marketing the show themselves like they normally would. the poor marketing on HBO's part is why so many people had no idea there even was a season 2

Hasbro

Family Friend
Sponsor
Apr 1, 2004
South Rectangle
Yep. clearly plotted for another season and instead we get chyrons at the end.

Notice they never uttered the name Jordan once.

Shame we never got the Converse Commercial shoot since Magic/Larry is such a great story.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad