Confirmed with Link: Winnik plus '16 5th (Anaheim's) for Laich (no retention), Carrick, '16 2nd

AlexBrovechkin8

At least there was 2018.
Sponsor
Feb 18, 2012
District of Champions
Not sure how anyone can't be thrilled with the deal. There's nothing about this that's a loss. Winnik is better than Laich, Carrick was going no where in this organization, and a 2nd isn't going to do anything to help them win in their current window.

Ajax1995

Dec 9, 2002
Here's the rub.

Is Winnik better than Laich right now in the same role?

Yes. I dont think there is any debate there.

That's what matters this season and next. Get the best players in their correct roles and make a run for the cup.

Agreed, the Caps are better on paper now than they were before this trade without a doubt IMO.

And even if the additional cap space this year is not used this deal definitely has a future component to it for the Caps in the $2.25 mil in cap space freed up for next season. Sure in a perfect, no 20/20 hindsight, world the Caps get a player of Winnik's caliber who will be a UFA after this season for that price but there was going to be a price to remove Laich's $4.5 mil cap hit from the books for next season and IMO that had to be done one way or another to give them any chance of keeping the rest of the team together.

twabby

Mar 9, 2010
Not sure how anyone can't be thrilled with the deal. There's nothing about this that's a loss. Winnik is better than Laich, Carrick was going no where in this organization, and a 2nd isn't going to do anything to help them win in their current window.

I'm not thrilled with the deal. A second rounder + non-throwaway prospect is a steep price for a 4th liner. But I do understand it was necessary seeing as Laich has negative value, and ultimately losing Carrick and the late second rounder shouldn't hurt the team's future.

Last edited:

kmart

Jan 23, 2008
its an upgrade but it feels like a downgrade because that cap space will be used to just keep the current roster. oh well, i hope carlson is coming back soon.

Dr John Carlson

Dec 21, 2011
Nova Scotia
I'll be thrilled with the deal if they make something out of the cap space they've acquired. As is I'm certainly not thrilled with taking back someone with term so if this is all they're doing this deadline then I'm not sure how much I like this.

troyerlaw

Life is party again
Dec 13, 2010
Los Angeles
Leafs should keep signing Winnik every chance they get. He is golden goose of picks and prospects. Don't the Leafs now have two 2nd-rnd picks this year from him alone (Pens trade last year and Caps trade this year)? I'm still bummed we let connor carrick go. I was higher on him than others here seemed to be. I think he has a torey krug type of game in him, if he is given another year or two to develop. Oh well. At least Laich contract is gone and nothing retained.

CapitalsCupReality

It’s Go Time!!
Feb 27, 2002
What's the official word on them being able to add Laich's name to the Cup? I'm hearing Japers saying he has to be on roster at deadline...truth or no?

strungout

Professional Killer
Jul 1, 2002
North Carolina
A player must have at least 41 games played with the club or one game played in the Stanley Cup Finals. However, in 1994 a stipulation was added to allow a team to petition the Commissioner for permission to have players' names put on the Cup if extenuating circumstances prevented them from being available to play.
- according to my Google machine.

Tweedsuitcase

Sep 28, 2009
I think this is a good move even if we do nothing more this trade deadline. makes this summer easier, and we're probably at least slightly better right now than before the trade.

Jun 15, 2007
Uh...I'm pretty sure that only applies to players who are actually on the team. Laich won't get his name on the cup unless Toronto wins.

4thTierSport

Feb 15, 2009
Reasonable enough deal. I think Carrick will end up a NHL player, but I don't think it was going to happen in Washington. There is maybe one spot over the next couple years and they're penciling in Bowey. 2nd round is a little hard to swallow but understandable in the end.

Fallschirmyager

Jun 25, 2009
Even ignoring Carrick, they traded a 2nd and a 4th liner for a 5th and a 4th liner. That's a loss.

You're forgetting one has double the salary of the other. This is the difference between a business move and a hockey move. As a hockey move I can understand calling this a loss but as a business move it's a total win.

Uh...I'm pretty sure that only applies to players who are actually on the team. Laich won't get his name on the cup unless Toronto wins.

I could see TL doing something for Laich should it be warranted due to his years of dedication.

Jun 15, 2007
Okay I like this trade a lot less now.

I know, cap space for next year. But we could have made this trade at the draft then.

Fallschirmyager

Jun 25, 2009
Years of dedication? This guy destroyed his own career by injuring himself in Switzerland in a third tier league. In the meantime, he's been collecting $4.5 million a year.

Years of service, sure. Dedication? Hardly.

Hard work and dedication is exactly what Brooks Laich brought for 12 years to this organization. It's unfortunate that he got injured doing exactly what the rest of the team did during the lockout.

CapitalsCupReality

It’s Go Time!!
Feb 27, 2002
Years of dedication? This guy destroyed his own career by injuring himself in Switzerland in a third tier league. In the meantime, he's been collecting $4.5 million a year.

Years of service, sure. Dedication? Hardly.

So that would be your position on 8 or 19, or anyone else who tried to earn a living during the lockout? He rolled the dice and lost from an injury perspective. Your tone makes it sound like he was out doing motocross or BASE jumping and recklessly hurt his career.

BrooklynCapsFan

No more choking!
Oct 23, 2002
Brooklyn, New York
So that would be your position on 8 or 19, or anyone else who tried to earn a living during the lockout? He rolled the dice and lost from an injury perspective. Your tone makes it sound like he was out doing motocross or BASE jumping and recklessly hurt his career.

Make a living :laugh:

Dude was making layups against garbage competition and chasing tail in Western Europe.

Hivemind

We're Touched
Oct 8, 2010
Philadelphia
Backstrom and Ovie did both did the same thing. They were playing in the KHL during the lockout. It's not as if Laich chose to get hurt. **** happens. A ton of NHL players, dare I say a majority, took an overseas job during the lockout. Laich was simply unfortunate and got injured.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad