Winners and losers of the 1st round?

Jaded-Fan

Mar 18, 2004
Pittsburgh
Esposito at 20. We will not know for some time of course, but right now that is looking like the steal of the first.

The Kings headscratcher at pick four has to be, right now, the loser pick.

Ghost of jas

Unsatisfied
Feb 27, 2002
NJ
San Jose was definite winner. They started the draft without a 1st round pick, and end up with Couture and Petrecki...nicely done, Doug Wilson.

Redwingsfan

Global Moderator
Jul 15, 2006
what happened to. there is no chanse the habs are passing on espo at #12?? i never believed it but a lot of habs wouldnt hear anything else.

Granlund2Pulkkinen*

Winner: Penguins/Chicago/Phoenix
Loser: Edmonton 100%/Mabye LA

Hello Johnny

Apr 13, 2007
i cant believe we got Voracek!!! thanks LA!! they totally could have gotten another pick for #4 overall and still gotten Hickey

spence___

Oct 3, 2002
Visit site
Esposito at 20. We will not know for some time of course, but right now that is looking like the steal of the first.

The Kings headscratcher at pick four has to be, right now, the loser pick.

Everyone was saying the same about Schremp when he fell to Edmonton. I like the pick, but there's a reason more than one team passed him up.

Jaded-Fan

Mar 18, 2004
Pittsburgh
jas -

The lack of a transfer agreement with Russia and players like Malkin having to flee in the middle of the night in some cloak and daggers game make Cherepanov falling to 17 not especially surprising. Tell me anyone who thought Esposito would fall to anywhere close to 20.

Suiteness

Mar 14, 2003
Time to Rebuild
Visit site
I still can't get over the fact that the Oilers didn't gamble with their 15th pick. When you have THREE first rounders and Cherry and Esposito are available, you have to friggin swing for it.

And then they give up two picks to move up and draft some dude who'd probably wouldn't get drafted before the 2nd round?

shureshot66

Aug 2, 2005
definitely the rangers are big winners... cherepanov was the best talent value for where he was picked.

Namso

Aug 25, 2005
how can u pick winners and losers? how do you know how good they will be? most of you guys have never seen these people play BEFORE they were drafted!

PocketNines

Cutter's Way
Apr 29, 2004
Badlands
I like what San Jose was able to do for basically a backup goalie and a 2d round pick this year, a 2d round pick next year and a 3d next year. And Montreal with McDonagh and Pacioretty I have a feeling are going to get two great players there.

I didn't like the Plante pick for Edmonton, but Gagner will be great for them.

As a Blues fan and potential trading dmen for forward partner with Pittsburgh I like that the Penguins got deeper there. The Penguins got tremendous value at 20.

And I'm biased but I am ecstatic with the Blues' first round. I have total faith in Jarmo (when they put up that graphic about the Senators' picks from 98-01, remember who was there - Jarmo). If he traded up to get Cole I am 100% certain Cole was in the Blues' top 10. I am giddy with Eller who I'm hoping is the next Kopitar steal. Getting Perron late - that is just a great mix of players.

Edit: Also I should point out that when the draft began, the Oilers and Blues each had three first-rounders with the Oilers in better position. By the end of the first round, not only had the Oilers had an overall worse three picks (IMO) but the Oilers had lost their early 2d rounder and the Blues had gained a mid-2d rounder, which in this particular draft is a big deal. Not the high end elite depth but a lot of very solid players going well into this one. Not only that, the Blues picked up what will probably be around pick #80 next year from the Sharks and clearly still got the guy they wanted - Eller - with their top pick (seeing as how they passed on Cherepanov and Espo at 13 they would have passed at 9).

Last edited:

Llewzaher

Aug 2, 2005
North America
jas -

The lack of a transfer agreement with Russia and players like Malkin having to flee in the middle of the night in some cloak and daggers game make Cherepanov falling to 17 not especially surprising. Tell me anyone who thought Esposito would fall to anywhere close to 20.

Man I was so hoping Pens wouldn't grab him , and Phoenix could get him at 21.

Hunter Gathers

The Crown
Feb 27, 2002
parts unknown
jas -

Sorry, Cherepanov and his agent made it clear prior to the draft (and his team, Omsk, knows it and is OK with it) that he's playing 1 more year in Russia and then coming over. He has 1 year left on his contract.

There is no issue with the transfer agreement here.

Esposito is not a bigger steal than Cherepanov. I had Cherry as a top 5 pick and before the draft I actually predicted Espo would fall out of the 1st -- and he nearly did.

Also, in my top 90, I had him at #19. And that was weeks ago. He was sliding down my list for a while and I'd probably have had him at 30-35 when all was said and done.

Teemu

Caffeine Free Since 1919
Dec 3, 2002
Winners: San Jose, NYR. And of course, us.

Losers: LA. Spin the pick any way you want, they should have traded down.

Hunter Gathers

The Crown
Feb 27, 2002
parts unknown
Rangers are the biggest winner with Cherepanov.

There are reports that the Rangers wanted to trade to #3 (dealing Montoya) and selecting Cherepanov (from the Post a few days ago).

They got their guy that they were trying to trade up for at #17. Couldn't ask for any more than that.

Atlas

Sep 7, 2004
jas -
Tell me anyone who thought Esposito would fall to anywhere close to 20.

I thought Esposito would fall further than 20. I had him in the mid to late 20s.

My Caps made a smart pick at 5. Alzner reminds me of a more mobile Rod Langway in the defensive end. And he has decent hands. Very very happy the Caps have him.

Hunter Gathers

The Crown
Feb 27, 2002
parts unknown
Winners: San Jose, NYR. And of course, us.

Losers: LA. Spin the pick any way you want, they should have traded down.

They admitted that they tried to trade down. Couldn't find a suitor for what they wanted, I guess. I don't blame them for not trading down if they couldn't get what they wanted.

Rico Fatastic

Jul 28, 2002
jas -

What's his nuts on the TSN broadcast said that one scout he talked to said that Cherepanov was falling because of his work ethic and not because of the transfer agreement. And I'm inclined to believe this. If the courts upheld Malkin's departure from Russia, there's no reason why they wouldn't do the same for anyone else. And Cherepanov has said in interviews that he wanted to come to the NHL after one more season in Russia. I don't think the transfer agreement was the dominant issue for most teams.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad