GDT: Wings vs. Blue Jackets

Dechaineux

Oct 29, 2011
I have a foot firmly in the Kindl camp, to be honest. And by that I mean I think he can at least be servicable.

Surely he's better than Quincey.

nik jr

Sep 25, 2005
win is a win, but this was not a good game at all.

barely beat probably the worst team in the NHL. D again looked sucky and disorganized. not impressive in the neutral zone. team speed was lacking.

Also, anyone else feel like Pavel looks lost out there a little? Doesnt look himself, i wonder if he's home sick?
looks a bit sluggish to me

not aggressive, looks a bit slower, not as involved as usual.

i wonder how much of it is playing W instead of C.

i hope datsyuk is returned to C, with franzen or filppula.

SwjVZgM.jpg
good fodder for photoshop threads

He said glowing things about almost every prospect we have right before that.
pierre mcguire does that for basically all teams, though. he is sort of obsessed with prospects.

Do we have a defenseman that actually defends well? It seems like we have some offensive defensemen and some mediocre defensive defensemen.
agree

LOL Quincey
Kyle ****ing Quincey!
Quincey is oh so bad
Typical Quincey.
edit
****ing Q
Holy **** Quincey is bad.
Wow can we give quincy away to someone else.
;)

I'm laughing picturing Quincey scrolling through this thread after the game :biglaugh:
even i am not so cruel.

My goodness, I think Quincey has already passed Lang and Lilja for most despised Wing in recent memory.
i would add jason williams.

Smith-Quincey is hard to watch. The perceived pressure they put themselves under when in their own end or when they've even got the puck. It's just ridiculous.
Quincey-Smith pairing is just abysmal.
no doubt

seems like they give up scoring chances on most of their shifts.

Didn't recognize Smith without his Teletubby outfit.
:laugh:

I'm honestly flabbergasted by the decisions this team has made recently.

It's mind blowing those two guys aren't in the line up.
amazing that KH built a team with such a bad blueline.

Saving cap space for what?
reacquiring more veterans who used to play here. :thumbu:

That was the most beautiful deke I have ever seen from someone not named Datsyuk. Just had a little school girl fit.

sherbatov played with xavier ouellet in QMJHL for a couple of seasons.

Babcock is probably beating Quincey in the locker room.

Laser Rayzor

Cautiously Optimistic
Dec 8, 2012
The Underground
My thoughts on tonight's game, the two periods I saw at least:
-They looked decent in the 2nd, much better than in St Louis. They're starting to gel
-Atrocious 3rd period, sloppy play and lazy penalties, obviously the older guys are not in game shape yet, and Quincey needs to be scratched a few times, his play is absolutely unacceptable.
-The DBZ line needs to be split up, at least for the time being. Fil is being dragged down by Franzen and Sammy (mostly Sammy this game). Maybe they could be reunited when Kenny comes to his senses and recalls Nyquist
-Sammy and Cleary were pretty useless tonight, Nyquist and Tatar would have been much better.
-PP needs to change, I'm not sure what the situation in Tampa is but I think they should emulate them with Brunner playing the part of Stamkos and Z/D playing the part of St Louis. Brunner on the point just isn't working, but he was looking pretty good hovering around the left face-off circle, and Stamkos scores at will from there with one timers.
-I'm not too worried about the PK, should improve immensely once Helm comes back. It would also improve if guys like Cleary and Quincey aren't taking ******, lazy penalties.

P.S. To anyone going to the game tomorrow when Sammy and Cleary look terrible someone please either start a "Kenny" chant or maybe a "Bring up Gus" chant maybe that will get Kenny's attention.

FlashyG

Dec 15, 2011
Toronto
.All game I was was laughing to myself about the meltdown that had to be happening here with all the Quincey miscues. He was seriously awful in that game.

I had high hopes that he'd be better this season but he managed to get far far worse.
I was impressed with Lashoff as a rookie and I thought White played a very good game especially since I think he played hurt in the 3rd period. Kronwall was good offensively, but he nearly handed the jackets a goal with a tape to tape pass to the front of his own net, and he let the puck go right through him on the Columbus go ahead goal and we need better from a #1 defenseman.

What bothered me most about the game though was Babcock's sitting of Tootoo, either he was hurt or Babcock has it in for him. He played less than Emmerton despite being one of their best players in the first period. Dan Cleary played more than double the amount of shifts than him.

crashman

I supported the Sammy signing, but I don't think he's going to do much in his current role. Maybe thrown Sammy on the DZ as the net front guy and RH shot. Then throw Brunner with Filp and Franzen.

Winger98

Feb 27, 2002
Cleveland
.All game I was was laughing to myself about the meltdown that had to be happening here with all the Quincey miscues. He was seriously awful in that game.

I had high hopes that he'd be better this season but he managed to get far far worse.
I was impressed with Lashoff as a rookie and I thought White played a very good game especially since I think he played hurt in the 3rd period. Kronwall was good offensively, but he nearly handed the jackets a goal with a tape to tape pass to the front of his own net, and he let the puck go right through him on the Columbus go ahead goal and we need better from a #1 defenseman.

What bothered me most about the game though was Babcock's sitting of Tootoo, either he was hurt or Babcock has it in for him. He played less than Emmerton despite being one of their best players in the first period. Dan Cleary played more than double the amount of shifts than him.

I thought Tootoo took a couple of shots in that fight, and then he got boarded pretty hard later in the first...wouldn't surprise me a bit if he was a bit dinged up. We need some more sandpaper on his line, but someone bigger than 5'8''.

silkyjohnson50

Jan 10, 2007

The funny thing about that is during the Wings/Griffins scrimmage last week, Babcock was talking about how Tootoo only had so much opportunity in Nashville and how he was looking for a bigger role.

When he finally got a shift in the 3rd period he was very noticeable.

HTT3*

I have a foot firmly in the Kindl camp, to be honest. And by that I mean I think he can at least be servicable.

Surely he's better than Quincey.

And Smith....

Smith was hands down teh worse player on the ice. Wings should have won in regulation, but nope... Smith decided to be a ****up. He needs to straighten up or get benched in favor of Kindl.

HTT3*

I thought Tootoo took a couple of shots in that fight, and then he got boarded pretty hard later in the first...wouldn't surprise me a bit if he was a bit dinged up. We need some more sandpaper on his line, but someone bigger than 5'8''.

Tootoo should quickly become a fan favorite, not sure why CBJ didn't like him, he's got heart.

FlashyG

Dec 15, 2011
Toronto
And Smith....

Smith was hands down teh worse player on the ice. Wings should have won in regulation, but nope... Smith decided to be a ****up. He needs to straighten up or get benched in favor of Kindl.

Smith wasn't good tonight, but he was a combination of Bobby Orr, Nicklas Lidstrom and Jesus Christ in comparison to Quincey.

HTT3*

Smith wasn't good tonight, but he was a combination of Bobby Orr, Nicklas Lidstrom and Jesus Christ in comparison to Quincey.

Quincy should cover his guy, Smith's guy and keep Smith out of the penalty box from boneheaded penalties? Lol, okay. :laugh:

Plain and simple, Smith gave two goals to CBJs and gave them a free point. He should be benched when Kindl is healthy.

ricky0034

Jun 8, 2010
Quincy should cover his guy, Smith's guy and keep Smith out of the penalty box from boneheaded penalties? Lol, okay. :laugh:

Plain and simple, Smith gave two goals to CBJs and gave them a free point. He should be benched when Kindl is healthy.

great idea

let's bench our stud rookie because he had a bad game

why stop at benching? we can waive him and get Lilja!

FlashyG

Dec 15, 2011
Toronto

Quincey took twice as many minutes in penalties to Smith tonight and Smith finished the game E to Quincey's -1

Neither had a good game, but even Quincey's mother would agree that he was the worst Red Wing on the ice.

pdd

Feb 7, 2010
Oh by the way, did anyone realise Emmerton was playing tonight?

More importantly, does anyone realize that Emmerton has three shots in 18 minutes of play over two minutes, has gone 6 for 14 on faceoffs, and the only time he's been on the ice for a GA was Chris Stewart's PPG in the opener when he had Smith, Kronwall, and Miller on him and Emmerton was playing up high and had no potential influence on the play.

One might say that Emmerton is one of the team's best players so far when you consider the player's role.

HTT3*

Quincey took twice as many minutes in penalties to Smith tonight and Smith finished the game E to Quincey's -1

Neither had a good game, but even Quincey's mother would agree that he was the worst Red Wing on the ice.

Useless stats are pretty, but lets look at the facts; Quincey had a goal against on both of Smith's dumb plays. It happens.

CBJs scored 3 goals, two were single-handedly on Smith.

1- Didn't cover his man, Quincey had his man.
2- Took a dumb penalty that resulted in a goal.

One1,Two2.

Smith gave CBJs a point, the game shouldn't have went to OT.

Brick Top

LANA!!!!!
Mar 2, 2012
Grand Rapids

Have to disagree with you here, pretty sure that Quincey's mom can't stomach watching him play any more than we can, so I doubt that she's catching the games on tv. Hope she doesn't have a hf account either ;)

The Zetterberg Era

Ball Hockey Sucks
Nov 8, 2011
Ft. Myers, FL
Useless stats are pretty, but lets look at the facts; Quincey had a goal against on both of Smith's dumb plays. It happens.

CBJs scored 3 goals, two were single-handedly on Smith.

1- Didn't cover his man, Quincey had his man.
2- Took a dumb penalty that resulted in a goal.

One1,Two2.

Smith gave CBJs a point, the game shouldn't have went to OT.

They are not single handedly on Smith.

Quincey had terrible gap control on the breakaway, he was too far up the ice and stuck in no mans land either you step up and take the man at center ice or you continue backing up. He did neither and Smith was caught gliding into a turn to back skate instead of keeping his head down and skating an additional step before the turn a big time rookie mistake granted. Really that whole play starts with an inexcusable play by Cleary. He is getting a big free pass there as only a couple people have mentioned it.

On the penalty both failed to get the puck out. But Quincey had the most time and was forced to eat the puck a couple times and didn't make quick enough plays. But make no mistake that firewagon drill that lead to a tired cross check was their inability together to get the puck out. Not just Smith alone.

Smith played disappointing in his 16th NHL game. We are going to see some problems. He didn't just ink a big deal and he isn't really supposed to be the defensive anchor with a veteran right there to help. Also troubling is they seem to have no communication or understanding where the other guy is, it leads to sloppy passing and poor gap control. Smith with Kronwall helped him last year because he is a loud guy on ice and a sharer when they get to the bench. That is important right now, I don't know that Ericsson is those things. But Kronwall and White talk a lot when you watch the game and bench. I would prefer he land with one of them not only because he and Quincey look terrible but in the long run that is really important to helping Smith through rough patches that we are likely to see.

nik jr

Sep 25, 2005
Tootoo should quickly become a fan favorite, not sure why CBJ didn't like him, he's got heart.
one of the better players on the team so far, imo. has generally played hard, which is certainly more than can be said of the team generally.

Have to disagree with you here, pretty sure that Quincey's mom can't stomach watching him play any more than we can, so I doubt that she's catching the games on tv. Hope she doesn't have a hf account either ;)
i do have an account here! :)

The Zetterberg Era

Ball Hockey Sucks
Nov 8, 2011
Ft. Myers, FL
More importantly, does anyone realize that Emmerton has three shots in 18 minutes of play over two minutes, has gone 6 for 14 on faceoffs, and the only time he's been on the ice for a GA was Chris Stewart's PPG in the opener when he had Smith, Kronwall, and Miller on him and Emmerton was playing up high and had no potential influence on the play.

One might say that Emmerton is one of the team's best players so far when you consider the player's role.

Agreed, Emmerton has been fine and playing his role. I am not the biggest fan but he has done a decent job controlling possession and is getting the puck out of our end better this season. Since about half way through last year he has played okay. I don't know that it saves his roster spot and I would still waive him over a lot of the other guys. Bottom six forwards I am most disappointed with thus far are Cleary and Miller.

By the way should be tons of fun on the pk tomorrow, Jagr and Whitney, especially the later player has made his living on the PP. Was interesting late in the game and I know all the points are important but after the two PP goals, for the first time in years I think I saw both Datsyuk and Zetterberg kill a penalty and not just to take a draw or run off the ice. The 4 on 3 or the 5 on 3 you will still see it, but noticed at one point even Babcock went with them in the standard 5 on 4 for a shift.

RedWingsNow*

Emmerton had a bad neutral zone turnover in the first period.
But he looked good in limited action in the second and third period, nearly getting a wrap-around goal in the second, I think.

You gotta put the blame for Smith's goal on Smith. Quincey didn't help matters. But it's a 2-on-2 and Smith's man walked right by him for a breakaway.

DRWCountryClub

Jun 28, 2010
And Smith....

You're actually for real on this one? I mean, really? I'm confused.

Who was it that took the stupid penalty that lead to the go ahead goal?
No, no. It wasn't Smith.... Who was it. Umm... Jeez, let me think.

Starts with a Q... Ends with a Y...

GOT IT! Brenden Smith!! No wait, that doesn't work. Hmm... Who could it be...

Jeez, I'll have to leave this one up to you, think you can figure it out? I sure can't.

Judging from your posts I was darn sure it was that pathetic rookie(the guy with like 18 NHL games of experience) under his belt. Maybe they should send him down, I don't think he's ready...

Anyway, I'll check back to see if you've figured it out. I sure can't:(

The Angry Teatowel

@AngryTeatowel
Aug 11, 2009
Kent, UK
www.eurolanche.com
Avs fan coming in peace to remark how well Brunner did with his shoot out goal. As much as I am not overly fond of the Wings, I so wish Brunner the best as I used to live in Switzerland and was an EV Zug season ticket holder for 3 years. Brunner was immense for them and really hope he succeeds in the NHL :) He really grew as a player after coming to Zug via a trade. A little back info on him for you - he was traded to Zug with apparent lack of effort problems, as I recall and Zug got this talented, somewhat troublesome winger on the cheap. However, he really turned his career around and flourished under Doug Shedden. I remember when he first came, he floated and his breakaways weren't that great - had the speed to get into that position but couldn't finish and that was obviously something he worked on. He matured and became a much better player.

Last edited:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad