Speculation: Wings spare parts at the deadline (Actually, the tank thread)

WingsToPick4th

Jan 5, 2020
We need to add Timo Meier and just go for It this year. Pick 17 OA and 13 OA is not worth It to give up now. We won’t win a playoff series but Seider and Raymond gain invaluable experience.

Frk It

Mo Seider Less Problems
Jul 27, 2010
I think it just takes one team though. There is usually a surprising deal and I kind of feel like Bertuzzi could be one.
Yeah, we have seen teams get weird (desperate) when free agency opens.

I just don’t have a lot of faith Bert even makes it though next season at this point, so to sign him to a deal where I am expecting him to be healthy 5/6/7 years from now seems kinda wild.

And that’s not a reflection on how I feel on him as a player at all. I think that top line functions way better when he is on it. Him and Raymond have always worked well together.

Reactions: The Zetterberg Era

Oddbob

Jan 21, 2016
“It is not the critic who counts; not the man who points out how the strong man stumbles, or where the doer of deeds could have done them better. The credit belongs to the man who is actually in the arena, whose face is marred by dust and sweat and blood; who strives valiantly; who errs, who comes short again and again, because there is no effort without error and shortcoming; but who does actually strive to do the deeds; who knows great enthusiasms, the great devotions; who spends himself in a worthy cause; who at the best knows in the end the triumph of high achievement, and who at the worst, if he fails, at least fails while daring greatly, so that his place shall never be with those cold and timid souls who neither know victory nor defeat.”

I understand the odds of making the playoffs are stacked against Detroit, I guess I just relate to the players a lot. I see what they're doing right now, the effort, the drive, led by their captain, having some success, and I'm feeling their feels. I don't want to see them knee-capped, and I don't think trading Bertuzzi yields a big enough result to make it worth ending the chances that Seider and Raymond get a taste of the playoffs, that a very deserving Larkin gets back to the playoffs, and that this positive forward momentum gets curbed.

I understand where the "we need to suck longer" people are coming from, but I can't relate to it.

Reason I am not feeling it, is we aren't playing that well even in our wins. The effort is of course there which is great, but from a play level ours is not really that great as we get out-chanced in most of our games. The only line that scores with any regularity is a line with Larkin on it. I am not in the tank crowd at all, simply don't want us not selling who we can just so we can maybe get a few more wins this year. I don't see Bertuzzi as a good fit to keep for more years with him getting hurt all the time.

jaster

Take me off ignore, please.
Jun 8, 2007
Reason I am not feeling it, is we aren't playing that well even in our wins. The effort is of course there which is great, but from a play level ours is not really that great as we get out-chanced in most of our games. The only line that scores with any regularity is a line with Larkin on it. I am not in the tank crowd at all, simply don't want us not selling who we can just so we can maybe get a few more wins this year. I don't see Bertuzzi as a good fit to keep for more years with him getting hurt all the time.
The last handful of teams to make the playoffs each year are generally full of warts. Detroit is no exception. If they were winning 5 of 6 and looking dominant doing it, we wouldn't be talking about them competing for the wild card, but for the division. I get what you're saying, but 8th seeds are going to look sketchy. And the odds are against them. But they are generally just good enough to occasionally steal some wins, and sometimes a series.

Detroit has some good things going for them. A decent defensive system, and a lot of effort. Teams like that have a decent floor and have been known to upset better teams.

Reactions: Alex Thrasher

Zetterberg4Captain

Aug 11, 2009
Detroit
If we're competing still at the TDL we cant sell, that kills a locker room.

We may have to add..

Question is what direction.. a cheap(er) UFA or a younger longterm level player(and more expensive)..

Maybe we will be the ones to add Kane

Reactions: Pavels Dog

jaster

Jun 8, 2007
If we're competing still at the TDL we cant sell, that kills a locker room.

We may have to add..

Question is what direction.. a cheap(er) UFA or a younger longterm level player(and more expensive)..

Maybe we will be the ones to add Kane
Jesus Christ. The juxtaposition of me simultaneously throwing up in my mouth a little (a lot) and being excited about adding that much talent would probably be too much to bear.

Last edited:

norrisnick

The best...
Apr 14, 2005
Jesus Christ. The juxtaposition of me simultaneously throwing up in my mouth a little (a lot) and being excited about adding that much talent would probably be too much to bear.
Not one to kink shame, but you can keep that one in private.

jaster

Jun 8, 2007
Not one to kink shame, but you can keep that one in private.
6ce0dcf71d2e8ef4d429ce75761d8b21.jpg

lomekian

Oct 28, 2013
London
The time to trade Bert and Larkin was this past offseason. That was when their value was at their maximum.

There was no point in keeping either player because there was a good chance Yzerman would be in the same position he's in right now. He probably could have gotten a 1st round pick for both, and likely a blue chip prospect or two, but now there's a chance both walk for nothing. Bad asset management.
Or if Bert hadn't got 2 fluke impact injuries and kept his previous scoring rate but with less Covid restrictions, his value would have been at an all time high....

Claypool

Jan 12, 2009
Or if Bert hadn't got 2 fluke impact injuries and kept his previous scoring rate but with less Covid restrictions, his value would have been at an all time high....
If that happened he would have been resigned by Detroit.

odin1981

There can be only 1!
Mar 8, 2013
Canton Mi
I've never really been in the camp that'll he'll fetch a 1st plus.

He's in an injury ridden, down year. He'll need to be resigned and most likely... hits the market as a UFA wherever he goes.

Pure rental to wherever he's going to be traded. I don't see a ton of teams lining up to cough up a first rounder, let alone more. I think if Red wings do trade Bertuzzi it'll be for a 2nd rounder and some filler or a swap like Alexis Lafreniere(not necessarily him; just a reclamation project like him.)

Not sure it makes much sense to keep him and lose him for nothing, playoff push or not. Red Wings actually have enough depth to replace Bertuzzi, imo. Wish he'd just resign at 3years for 4 million so we could keep him, but there are guys knocking on the door that could help ease the loss of Bertuzzi.

I think this is smoke, trying to drive up offers. I'm not sure he stays on the team unless literally teams are offering up 4th rounders and mid-level prospects. Likely to hold on to him till TDL day to squeeze as many games as possible out of him, imo.

Top 6 wingers don't sign UFA deals for 4m per year. This isn't the early 2010's any longer the cap has risen. I don't want him signed long term he won't age well with his contract, but no matter the term he is making 6+ per year provided its a max 4-5 year deal. I'd offer a 3 yr 6 to 6.5 deal but I'm not Stevie Y.

Last edited:

RED WINGS STOMP

Nov 28, 2022
Trade for Kane and Toews, only so Hawks fan have to suffer seeing those two in Wings jerseys.

Seriously though, I don't want either loser.

Roomba With a Bauer

Sep 11, 2007
Well hang on a second. If there are 10 Kane's in a bag, they probably suffocate. And then, voila, 10 Kanes are less douchey than Chelios.

But yeah, Kane is much worse than Chelios.

Have you ever looked into the shit Chelios got to before he came to Detroit, and afterwards?

I was at a Motor City Mechanics game during the lockout in 04-05, Chelios was on the roster and was supposed to do a signing afterwards. They let the fans wait for an hour and then came out and said he refused to do the signing. He passed by a group of fans who were complaining about it after the game and flipped them off. I've heard this was his standard behavior towards fans during his time in Montreal, Chicago, and Detroit. He's also gotten arrested at least three times and told police (in 1990, MN) that he was going to ruin their lives. He was one of the prime players in trashing the Olympic hotel room back in the 90s. The guy is an asshole and Detroit fans still loved him after he came here.

Again, Kane has had a lot of rumours and allegations around him but Chelios is 100% an asshole from the time he wakes up to the time he goes to sleep. Dirty player on the ice and a huge asshole off of it. His only redeeming factor for Wing's fans was that he wore their sweater, but I know a lot of Wings fans who were sick in 1999 when Holland acquired him.

Reactions: roman star

TheOctopusKid

Sep 24, 2010
Agree on Chelios, regardless, Kanes not waiving his NTC for DET. Going to a contender plus big market if he can, at worst, maybe waiving for his hometown BUF. Zero reason or indication to come to DET

Oddbob

Jan 21, 2016
Have you ever looked into the shit Chelios got to before he came to Detroit, and afterwards?

I was at a Motor City Mechanics game during the lockout in 04-05, Chelios was on the roster and was supposed to do a signing afterwards. They let the fans wait for an hour and then came out and said he refused to do the signing. He passed by a group of fans who were complaining about it after the game and flipped them off. I've heard this was his standard behavior towards fans during his time in Montreal, Chicago, and Detroit. He's also gotten arrested at least three times and told police (in 1990, MN) that he was going to ruin their lives. He was one of the prime players in trashing the Olympic hotel room back in the 90s. The guy is an asshole and Detroit fans still loved him after he came here.

Again, Kane has had a lot of rumours and allegations around him but Chelios is 100% an asshole from the time he wakes up to the time he goes to sleep. Dirty player on the ice and a huge asshole off of it. His only redeeming factor for Wing's fans was that he wore their sweater, but I know a lot of Wings fans who were sick in 1999 when Holland acquired him.

Kane attacked a cab driver, so he isn't some sweetheart either.

Lil Sebastian Cossa

Opinions are share are my own personal opinions.
Jul 6, 2012
I’d love to see Kaner in a Wings sweater. Douche? Yup. Otherworldly f***in talented? Yup.

I don’t want to hear from any of the people who complain about not having exciting hockey any complaints about trying to acquire Patrick Kane.

I would love to see Larkin get Kane on his wing again like he’s had in some exhibitions and international tournaments

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad