Confirmed with Link: Wings sign Weiss 5 yrs 4.9m/yr (Conf Post #197 & #1 Updated))

gudzilla

Aug 9, 2012
Thanks for the feedback.

How are Florida fans taking the Weiss departure?

Seems like the fans I saw hit the hardest by this signing were Toronto fans. Those guys were annoyed.

closest to a franchise player we had. most are just pissed he didn't get us anythign at trade deadline because of his injury, especially since he was injured before the season. most accepts it and think he should have been more open about not coming back though. florida isn't that attractive and he have always said he wanted to stay here and become the first real franchise player because thats what he dreamed about being a kid

Frk It

Mo Seider Less Problems
Jul 27, 2010
Weiss has a pretty darn good shot. As does Alfie. Those two add way more shooting potential than we rolled out last year.

We need to hope his wrist has gone back to how it was before, and then yes, totally agree. Way more willing to shoot than Filppula. Also drives the net way more.

Bench

3 is a good start
Aug 14, 2011
crease
closest to a franchise player we had. most are just pissed he didn't get us anythign at trade deadline because of his injury, especially since he was injured before the season. most accepts it and think he should have been more open about not coming back though. florida isn't that attractive and he have always said he wanted to stay here and become the first real franchise player because thats what he dreamed about being a kid

I think you would have got return from the Wings last year. They were definitely interested in trading at the time.

We need to hope his wrist has gone back to how it was before, and then yes, totally agree. Way more willing to shoot than Filppula. Also drives the net way more.

He's got one of those sneaky quick wristers. Really effective. I'm banking on him and Alfie boosting the powerplay significantly with those shots.

Android 16

Jun 23, 2011
Florida
I am absolutely gutted.

Hope you guys have success with Weisser even if it's at our expense. He deserves a cup.

Vladdy84

L-O-Y-A-L-T-Y
Dec 1, 2011
Farmington
Despite what may happen tomorrow. I love this signing ALOT. Good work today Kenny. Now don't **** it all up this weekend.

smurfyeah19

Feb 3, 2012
Well I for one am gonna miss Cleary getting the puck and going to the boards, or hooking the forward as he is too slow to get in position to stop him

Nut Upstrom

You dirty dog!
Dec 18, 2010
Florida
He's got one of those sneaky quick wristers. Really effective. I'm banking on him and Alfie boosting the powerplay significantly with those shots.

Wherever Alfie plays on the PP he will be a big help, he is the best forward to play the point on the PP since Fedorov; he's going to be huge for us out there.
And in regards to Weiss or anyone wearing 91 I would be pissed, I would like to think that is not even an option.
Will be nice seeing number 11 made available for Alfredsson. :)

Jul 30, 2005
I mean, what is location, really
Fun Weiss stats. Taken from 2011-2012.

Was on the ice for more 5 on 4 PPG (for) than Stamkos.

Was similar to guys like Bergeron and Duchene for PPP/60 min. (That's roughly 50th amongst centers in the league.) It should be noted that Weiss was a fair bit higher than Fil, even though this was Fil's big year. Filppula ranked in at 72nd place.

1.17 first assists per 60 min of PP time. That was better than Kopitar, Richards, Spezza, etc. 1.64 secondary assists, which was on the level with Stastny and Hudler, and better than Eric Staal. PPG/60 was also 1.17, which was just a hair behind Hossa, the same as Lecavalier, and better than Eric Staal.

Behindthenet doesn't seem to track 5 on 3 data.

Bonus fun: in 2009-2010, Weiss put up 4.64 points per 60 min of PP time. That was more than Zetterberg, and Crosby was at 4.8 and Datsyuk 5.38. Weiss had 2.52 PPG per 60 min of PP time that year, which was higher than Ovechkin, Vanek, Malkin, Datsyuk, Crosby, etc.

In 2008-2009, it was 4.27 PPP/60. That was better than Kovalchuk, Heatley, Henrik Sedin. Scored at the same PPG/60 rate as Crosby. More secondary assists on the PP per 60 than Datsyuk.

Again, that's all at 5 on 4. But my general point is, Weiss has been a very valuable power play guy at 5 on 4 throughout his career so far, especially if you take into account that he's never had fantastic offensive talent to work with.

Last edited by a moderator:

Bench

3 is a good start
Aug 14, 2011
crease
Even worse. I just did the math and I was right, but I deleted the post impulsively.

Let it be known for posterity that I had a post that showed that Stephen Weiss has been a very, very productive player on 5 on 4 power plays, especially in the goalscoring department.

The record shall show your great deeds. I threw it back up.

I'm afraid to sleep. I feel like I'm going to wake up to a 3x3 Cleary signing. I would rather wake up next to a horses head....or Rosie O'Donnell.

Great. Now I don't want to sleep. :laugh:

SoupNazi

Serenity now. Insanity later.
Feb 6, 2010
I'm afraid to sleep. I feel like I'm going to wake up to a 3x3 Cleary signing. I would rather wake up next to a horses head....or Rosie O'Donnell.

Who would you rather suit up in the Winged Wheel? Rosie or Daniel?

XO

Nov 4, 2009
I still don't get why Toronto didn't even talk to him

They would have had to deal some players to fit him and Bozak in, so it was either signing Bozak or Weiss I assume. I'd prefer Weiss over Bozak everyday, but given that Kessel is an UFA next season and him and Bozak are best buddies, it'll probably help Toronto to re-sign him too.

newfy

Jul 28, 2010
Filppula was never a second line center, he just couldnt do it and he was soft as butter. Weiss is more productive, plays just as good or better defensively and drives to the net. Hes not some power forward but Filppula is pretty much as soft as you can get in the NHL

Great signing

Flowah

Nov 30, 2009

I go to sleep with HFBoards open. I refresh when I wake up and slowly, with my eyes barely open, look for the "CONFIRMED: CLEARY SIGNED FOR 3X3 POST #133"

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad