Confirmed with Link: Wings re-sign Cleary to a one-year deal for 950k

Retire91

Stevey Y you our Guy
May 31, 2010
I love how the details are so hotly debated of who, what, when, where, and why Nyquist was stuck in GR. The truth is it doesn't matter. Nyquist started the season in GR and shouldn't have and it wasn't the first season that happened either. The bottom line of the situation is that Ken Holland made moves that made no sense for someone trying to build a competitive team.

I have always had a problem with the Alfredson contract which was another blocker. End of life veterans do not take a team that is not a contendor over the top. Actual contending teams add end of life veterans to add experience and depth when they know they have a shot. Hollands signs of end of life veterans just to make the playoffs even though its unlikely they will see the second round. This eats up roster spots that could be developing prospects and takes the team up several draft positions with no gain to show for it. The constant prospect blockage was felt through the organization. Holland ran the organization like a 90 pound constipated hound that just ate 6 lbs of cheese and a package of starburst. And the outcome looked pretty much the same

Frk It

Mo Seider Less Problems
Jul 27, 2010
I love how the details are so hotly debated of who, what, when, where, and why Nyquist was stuck in GR. The truth is it doesn't matter. Nyquist started the season in GR and shouldn't have and it wasn't the first season that happened either. The bottom line of the situation is that Ken Holland made moves that made no sense for someone trying to build a competitive team.

I have always had a problem with the Alfredson contract which was another blocker. End of life veterans do not take a team that is not a contendor over the top. Actual contending teams add end of life veterans to add experience and depth when they know they have a shot. Hollands signs of end of life veterans just to make the playoffs even though its unlikely they will see the second round. This eats up roster spots that could be developing prospects and takes the team up several draft positions with no gain to show for it. The constant prospect blockage was felt through the organization. Holland ran the organization like a 90 pound constipated hound that just ate 6 lbs of cheese and a package of starburst. And the outcome looked pretty much the same

Signing Alfredsson in 2012 was smart. He was one of our better players in 12-13.

Signing Samuelsson to a 2 year deal in 2012, at his age, was idiotic. Offering Cleary a 3 year unbreakable promise in 2013, when we were over the cap and had minimal roster spots was beyond idiotic.

Last edited:

PullHard

Jul 18, 2007
Yeah Alfredsson legitimately helped the team, like he tied for team lead in points despite only playing roughly 3/4 the season, though I can understand not liking the signing on principle.

Hard to argue with the results on ice though. Not the same as the others as you mentioned Frk It.

InjuredChoker

Dec 25, 2011
LTIR or golf course
Signing Alfredsson in 2012 was smart. He was one of our better players in 12-13.

Signing Samuelsson to a 2 year deal in 2012, at his age, was idiotic. Offering Cleary a 3 year unbreakable promise in 2013, when we were over the cap and had minimal roster spots was beyond idiotic.

you meant 2013 and 13-14 for alfie?

Retire91

Stevey Y you our Guy
May 31, 2010
Not faulting the Alfredson signing in the sense that he helped the team. He was good to great. Its the overall strategy of signing veterans running on fumes to make the playoffs with a giant longshot chance at really doing anything once there. Ala this seasons token Brad Richards. I wish the wings would build to contend and not just to make the playoffs.

SpookyTsuki

Dec 3, 2014
Not faulting the Alfredson signing in the sense that he helped the team. He was good to great. Its the overall strategy of signing veterans running on fumes to make the playoffs with a giant longshot chance at really doing anything once there. Ala this seasons token Brad Richards. I wish the wings would build to contend and not just to make the playoffs.

That Richards signing is decent. At least he can play Center, which is our most injuryprone position.

Retire91

Stevey Y you our Guy
May 31, 2010
That Richards signing is decent. At least he can play Center, which is our most injuryprone position.

Its not a knock on Richards or his ability. Its Holland's insistance that the wings have a permanantly rotating pre-retirement slot in the top 6. Veteran depth is something to shore up when a team is contending. Develop a kid or make some trades for players that are part of a future. Brad Richards is more commitment to status quo which is just make the first round of the playoffs.

If Green turns out to be the missing peice to take the team deep I will gladly review the Richards signing but I doubt Green is what fixes the teams inibility to contend.

WingedWheel1987

Jan 11, 2011
GPP Michigan
Last night when i found out Cleary was in the lineup for tonight's game, i wondered how long it would take HSJ to write a puff piece on Cleary. It took less than 12 hours.

I enjoyed reading this gem

"Nothing's given for free," Cleary said. "You've got a battle. You've gotta be a pro about. But it's also a great thing too. We've got great young players ...future looks great in Detroit. It's awesome. It's great to see."

But this quote in particular should send a shiver down the spine of any Wings fan.

"No, no," Cleary asked if he'd considered retirement. "God no. I love it.

Bench

3 is a good start
Aug 14, 2011
crease
Last night when i found out Cleary was in the lineup for tonight's game, i wondered how long it would take HSJ to write a puff piece on Cleary. It took less than 12 hours.

Article was by George Sipple.

And it included this:

Cleary isn't expected to make the Wings' roster. He'll likely end up playing for the Grand Rapids Griffins in the American Hockey League, so his contract won't count against the Wings' salary cap.

Bench

3 is a good start
Aug 14, 2011
crease
'Expected', well no one expected the Spanish Inquisition either.

I'm scared, but it wasn't quite the endorsement I was expecting after reading the previous summary.

Cleary is acting like a guy who has to earn a spot, which is good, because that's exactly how he should feel.

WingedWheel1987

Jan 11, 2011
GPP Michigan
I'm scared, but it wasn't quite the endorsement I was expecting after reading the previous summary.

Cleary is acting like a guy who has to earn a spot, which is good, because that's exactly how he should feel.

Couldn't we find similar statements made by management and Cleary over the last three years?

I'll believe it when i see it.

ArGarBarGar

What do we want!? Unfair!
Sep 8, 2008
Couldn't we find similar statements made by management and Cleary over the last three years?

The last couple years when Cleary was signed the intention always seemed like he would either be a healthy scratch or in the lineup. Not so much, here, especially with the team up against the cap.

Henkka

Jan 31, 2004
Tampere, Finland
After Datsyuk returns from LTIR, Cleary can't fit under the cap even if we trim the roster for 22-guys.

If we waive two guys (like Kindl and Miller) and get 2x 950k cap space, we'll have 933k in cap space. So Cleary can't be promoted but every other Griffins player can be promoted. Nearest guy from this figure is Larkin with 925k caphit.

And if we waive cheaper conracts (like Andersson 815k), we have even less space.

Cleary can't fit in any other way than on Long-Term injury occasions, or if somebody claims Kindl or Miller from waivers and gives us full cap help, without waiver penalties with those +950k contracts.

And still, if Kindl iswaived and claimed, we will promote a defenceman. And if we promote Cleary, he is just promoted to sit on bench that 14th forward. he is just so non-factor right now, for on-ice product.

Off-ice? Still could be as important as we really don't know.

Last edited:

snailderby

Jul 10, 2010
Cleary had an assist today against Boston. And Larkin had two giveaways. I think this proves that Cleary has earned a top 6 role with the team. And Larkin will probably never make it to the NHL. Clearly, Larkin is a defensive black hole and has very poor hockey IQ. Two giveaways! What was he thinking?

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad