Proposal: Wings-Leafs

Hockey 4 Life

Feb 10, 2012
Leafs need a gritty two way winger who can score. The wings are rebuilding and looking for strong future prospects. Would a deal like this work ?

To
Toronto
Bertuzzi

To
Detroit
1st in 2021
Amirov
Hallander
Kerfoot
2nd in 2022

Would this work for Wings and Leaf fans ?

Hockey 4 Life

Feb 10, 2012
His career high is 21 goals. :shakehead
I obviously made a big mistake then. I still think he would be a great add but not for the offer above. The thread can be closed I made it thinking hes scored 30 in a season. I was obviously very wrong.

7even

Offered and lost
Feb 1, 2012
North Carolina
I obviously made a big mistake then. I still think he would be a great add but not for the offer above. The thread can be closed I made it thinking hes scored 30 in a season. I was obviously very wrong.

Don't sweat it man this isn't even the worst thread of the day

IrishInOntario

May 18, 2013
Why not send Matthews the other way as well? Might as well... Just playin' man!

I'm not saying that Detroit has any desire to move Bertuzzi, but I think that if he they did, he's had back-to-back 21 goal seasons, in which he had 47 and 48 points. No doubt a promising young player, but no way his value would be more than let's say...

Rodion Amirov
Topi Niemela
Pierre Engvall (money)
2021 2nd round pick

I don't think the Red Wings would have any interest in Toronto's roster players that aren't young and cost controlled and I don't think Toronto wants to trade a guy like Kerfoot (nor do the Wings want him) that can play 2nd line LW or 3rd line C and is a productive player, on the 1st place team in the NHL. They want to add to their scoring depth, not take away from it. If you move Kerfoot the other way in this deal (again, Detroit won't do it), you get a slid upgrade as a goal scorer, with a an upgrade in the "jam" department. But he's strictly a winger, and again, his proven goal scoring prowess is similar to that of Kasperi Kapanen, who the Leafs traded away.

Detroit isn't moving Bertuzzi, IMO, but if they did, it would be for high end futures and picks.

BlueBaron

May 29, 2006
Sarnia, On
Certainly a player type we could use but I'd want to examine his defensive metrics closely. Certainly Kerfoot has to be in the trade for Cap reasons along with our first. I'm not sure what else we'd have to add.

IrishInOntario

May 18, 2013
Certainly a player type we could use but I'd want to examine his defensive metrics closely. Certainly Kerfoot has to be in the trade for Cap reasons along with our first. I'm not sure what else we'd have to add.

I don't think losing Kerfoot, plus a prospect like Amirov or Niemela, and a 1st round pick, is good roster management, for a guy who has scored 21 goals twice and has finished in the mid 40 point range both of those years. That's basically another Zack Hyman type, and well Hyman is a good player (so is Bertuzzi), you lose a similar player in terms of points (Kerfoot), and the you strip your center depth in the process.

BlueBaron

May 29, 2006
Sarnia, On
I don't think losing Kerfoot, plus a prospect like Amirov or Niemela, and a 1st round pick, is good roster management, for a guy who has scored 21 goals twice and has finished in the mid 40 point range both of those years. That's basically another Zack Hyman type, and well Hyman is a good player (so is Bertuzzi), you lose a similar player in terms of points (Kerfoot), and the you strip your center depth in the process.
I can understand that concern and share it but hearing we are shopping for a winger like Granlund makes me think Kerfoot is done anyway. I feel like we are showcasing him right now, but I could be wrong.

IrishInOntario

May 18, 2013
I can understand that concern and share it but hearing we are shopping for a winger like Granlund makes me think Kerfoot is done anyway. I feel like we are showcasing him right now, but I could be wrong.

My hope is that we go after a guy that will be retained. Toronto will try to get a guy like Rackell or Granlund retained, and send Engvall (for money) + picks and prospects the other way.

Rackell @ 50% retained is a 1.9 million cap hit for the Leafs this year and next. They can make that work by simply adding Engvall to a deal right now.

Granlund @ 50% retain is a 1.9 million cap hit for the Leafs this year, then he's an FA. Again, they can make that work by sending Engvall the other way for the sake of money, and giving Nashville the picks and prospects they really want.

With accrued cap space, and the movement of Engvall the other way, Toronto will be able to afford a contract add like that. Bertuzzi's hit would be very similar (slightly less) and the Leafs would be looking for retention on that as well, to fit him under this year.

My preference is Rackell, because I'd rather pay a little bit more and and have the Ducks retain for the remainder of this year and next year. It's a very small retention for them and Toronto could not only use the cap help this year, but with Rackell signed through next year, he can help a cap strapped Leafs team next year as well... A year and a half of 27 year old, proven, 25-30 goal scorer, for a 1.9 million dollar hit, is SWEET.

And ideal lineup for me might look something like...

Thornton / Matthews / Marner
Kerfoot / Tavares / Rackell
Hyman / Nylander / Mikheyev
Robertson / Spezza / Simmonds

Reactions: leafsfan2point0

TBF1972

May 19, 2018
I know its a lot but bertuzzi is a fantastic player who puts up 30 and plays just like Hyman. Hes the perfect fit for the leafs and is still Rfa next season.
he is a rfa a next season, but does toronto have the cap space to bring him back? it may would cost you hyman.

Shaman464

No u
May 1, 2009
Boston, MA
You're not prying away Bertuzzi. He's going to be a cup Champion in Detroit within the next 7 to 8 years.

Wait wait, if Holland to Edmonton the long con to bring McDavid and Draisaitl to the team? Because unless that's the case, there's no way you can say that.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad