Wings go for Quality over Quanitity

HFNHLOilers

Dec 13, 2008
Brampton
Day 1 saw the Wings move there day 1 picks + a 2nd next year to move into the top 10 where they selected son of a former NHLer Kasperi Kapanen. They decided they wanted to land a player of serious quality ovet quantity despite lacking serious prospect depth.

Kapanen is not the biggest guy in the world an will need to grow into his body at only 5'10 165 pounds but he has speed an hockey IQ to put him amoung the best in his draft class. He currently plays amoung men in the Finnish elite league an hasnt looked totally out of place will likely be a few years as he grows into his body before hes an NHLer but i suspect he will be with the upside being a top 6 forward.

Ohio Jones

Game on...
Feb 28, 2002
Great White North
Points for balls, Zac. I admire the conviction required to make that move, and I certainly hope for your sake that Kapanen turns out to be an impact player.

I think you may have misread the tea leaves a bit on either the player or the other GMs in this case. You paid an impact premium to move up and land a guy that I'm fairly confident nobody had on their board earlier than the 23 spot that you moved up from, not to mention three prime picks from next year's deeper draft. But what's the point of life if we're not prepared to take a little risk, right?

HFNHLOilers

Dec 13, 2008
Brampton
Points for balls, Zac. I admire the conviction required to make that move, and I certainly hope for your sake that Kapanen turns out to be an impact player.

I think you may have misread the tea leaves a bit on either the player or the other GMs in this case. You paid an impact premium to move up and land a guy that I'm fairly confident nobody had on their board earlier than the 23 spot that you moved up from, not to mention three prime picks from next year's deeper draft. But what's the point of life if we're not prepared to take a little risk, right?

I hold all but my 2nd for next year. Moved picks this year for him in a draft where i only really liked a handful of people (most of which where all picked before the picks i traded away). but yes it was a ballsy move none the less

Ohio Jones

Game on...
Feb 28, 2002
Great White North
I hold all but my 2nd for next year. Moved picks this year for him in a draft where i only really liked a handful of people (most of which where all picked before the picks i traded away). but yes it was a ballsy move none the less

Gotcha. Either way, a rich haul. If KK becomes a franchise/impact player, it's all good.

Fan.At

Sponsor
Mar 2, 2002
HFNHL Preds
Gutsy move indeed. Would be interesting to know where he would have gone if you hadn't picked him up at 10.

Ad

Upcoming events

• Finland vs Norway
    Finland vs Norway
    Wagers: 1
    Staked: $300.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Slovakia vs USA
    Slovakia vs USA
    Wagers: 2
    Staked: $150.00