Winger size

Sep 13, 2009
Ference is a horrible example.

and you're completely ignoring the fact that the Flames have guys like Bollig, Bouma, McGrattan, Smid, and Engelland. Just because what you're calling our 'Top 6 wingers' aren't 6'2+, doesn't mean it's a concern.

It's a major concern.

InfinityIggy

Zagidulin's Dad
Jan 30, 2011
I think its pretty clear the plan is to let the bottom 6 guys bring the Physicality, and let the top 6 guys play their game.

We also have a lot of grit on our back end in Smid, Gio and Engelland. I don't think we need to worry so much.

TrelivingtheDream

Mar 16, 2013
Leuven, BE
How is anything other than player development a 'major concern' one year into a rebuild? If management was THAT worried about the size of the wingers in the flames future top 6 would they not have drafted Ritchie?

While Burke has said that this team needs to be bigger and more truculent, he has also said you do not draft by need. I'm sure when the time comes the flames would much rather be in a position where they have an abundance of highly skilled wingers rather than a large number of less skilled big bodies. Let them trade/sign for need when the time comes to fill in the holes in the roster.

Aug 3, 2010
It's almost as if skilled top-6 players with size are valued highly in the League and that they aren't easy assets to acquire through trading, FA, or drafting.

Weird...

Rangediddy

The puck was in
Oct 28, 2011
Crosby is south of six feet. Also north of 100 points.

It's not how tall they are, it's how they play.

CraigsList

In Conroy We Trust
Apr 22, 2014
USA
And to add, we just added players like Colborne, H. Smith, and Bollig, we shouldn't really be worried

And if you're worried about our top 6 being small, you just need to find big RWers. Bennett and Monahan aren't small.

Why is Baertschi considered small? he is 5'11 and 190 lbs. That's not really small to me. If he was an inch taller and 5 lbs more, then everyone would say he has good size.

Ace Rimmer

Stoke me a clipper.
The Flames currently have three forwards under 6' on their current roster... Gaudreau (who is three inches taller than OP claims), Byron (who's actually a centre) & Hudler. Granlund and Baertschi are the two notable prospects under 6' - both being 5'11". Both have shown indications that this will not hamper their production in the NHL. The remaining Flames prospects are all over

I'm not sure I understand the concern. In fact, the replacement of Cammalleri with a 2 inch taller Raymond will undoubtedly translate into an extra 10 points in the standings alone, because clearly only size matters.

Skobel24

#Ignited
May 23, 2008
Winnipeg
The Flames currently have three forwards under 6' on their current roster... Gaudreau (who is three inches taller than OP claims), Byron (who's actually a centre) & Hudler. Granlund and Baertschi are the two notable prospects under 6' - both being 5'11". Both have shown indications that this will not hamper their production in the NHL. The remaining Flames prospects are all over

I'm not sure I understand the concern. In fact, the replacement of Cammalleri with a 2 inch taller Raymond will undoubtedly translate into an extra 10 points in the standings alone, because clearly only size matters.

John Scott should do wonders for San Jose then.

Lunatik

Oct 12, 2012
carls_jr_size_matters-18855.jpg

Volica

Papa Shango
May 15, 2012
Not a single worry about the wings in this organization.
Not everyone you listed will be with us in a few years, and this team is dedicated to surrounding it's small skilled guys, with big skilled guys... We weren't bossed around last year, and we won't be this year.

Rockmorton

Oct 26, 2011
Plus, who knows where the game will be in five years or so. Right now, it's about big heavy hockey, but in five years, it could be back to fast, barn burning hockey like in the 80s. It's hard to say

MuffinMerc

Come watch TV
Jan 23, 2013
Is anyone concerned about the size of our wingers? Johnny Gaudreau... 5' 6", Paul Byron.. 5' 7", Jiri Hudler.. 5' 10", Sven Baertschi.. 5' 11".. Mason Raymond.. 6' 0". All south of six feet. :eek:

:help:

Byron - Safe to say he's not in long term plans
Hudler - Legit top 6 size is negligible
Sven - Looked alright when he wasn't playing dat 4th line yo

Doesn't matter anyways because it's not the size of the players, it's the lack of high end skill. Losing Cammy will hurt the scoring which will increase chances for #McDavid

Anglesmith

Setting up the play?
Sep 17, 2012
Victoria
Byron - Safe to say he's not in long term plans
Hudler - Legit top 6 size is negligible
Sven - Looked alright when he wasn't playing dat 4th line yo

Doesn't matter anyways because it's not the size of the players, it's the lack of high end skill. Losing Cammy will hurt the scoring which will increase chances for #McDavid

With Cammy missing last season from January 13 to February 1, we scored exactly 3.00 goals per game over 9 games, which was more than a half a goal per game higher than our season average. I don't know if the effect of losing Cammy is that easy to predict. Our team did not do well in the last few seasons when relying on one player or one line for offence.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad