Winger Acquisition Thread | Part V: Wingers in the Hands of an Angry (Hockey) God

Status
Not open for further replies.

plaidchuck

Feb 26, 2013
Pittsburgh
No offence against Iginla but I would prefer to see Shero making a run for a longterm solution at wing rather than selling a bunch of assets for a rental (especially one that won't come cheap).

Great minds think alike :yo: I want this issue settled once and for all, it may sting in the short term but such is life.

RehnX

Jun 28, 2011
Indiana

Let me fix it.

*Compared to what we would have to give up for Iginla, I don't think it would be hard.

For what it is likely to take to get Iginla, I would rather get 2 cheaper long-term complimentary pieces.

namsnoodle

Feb 27, 2013
Great minds think alike :yo: I want this issue settled once and for all, it may sting in the short term but such is life.

I think the best option other than Iginla (if they were to get him long term for sure) would be Chris Stewart. Just depends if the Blues will be buyers or sellers come trade deadline. Even though he is a FA at the end of the season, his cap hit would be tremendously less and I don't think we would have to give up too much. Maybe Kennedy and two mid round draft picks (2nd, 3rd, or 4th)

Last edited:

IcedCapp

Aug 7, 2009
How has beau Bennett looked thus far? What are your long term hopes for him?

BB has been playing with Tyler Kennedy.

[end post]

Sorry, let me expand: Bennett has surprised a lot of people with his skating, his defensive awareness, positioning, and overall commitment, and he's been really decent along the boards.

The offensive side of things hasn't clicked yet, because....

(points to top of the post)

he's playing with Tyler Kennedy.

What are our hopes for him? I don't know if he'll stick with the team the rest of the year (I don't expect him to), but I expect him to be a permanent fixture in the top-6 next year.

Right handed, creative, young, he's everything the Pens need.

Shady Machine

Aug 6, 2010
No offence against Iginla but I would prefer to see Shero making a run for a longterm solution at wing rather than selling a bunch of assets for a rental (especially one that won't come cheap).

Like who? I would trade legit assets for an Iginla rental over assets for Setogouchi.

Shady Machine

Aug 6, 2010
Not sure who but I honestly dont think Shero will make any huge moves during the season regardless of what happens. The offseason though I think something will happen either way.

This sounds like every year to me. We always say "well look at the UFA list. Shero will sign some of these guys." It NEVER happens. Shero has a proven track record of making deadline deals for impact players (see Kunitz, Neal, Nisky, Hossa, Dupper, Guerin as the successful ones). He has a very poor track record of signing FA's in July. I suppose a trade in the offseason could make sense but we need to compete this season, so a move has to be made.

plaidchuck

Feb 26, 2013
Pittsburgh
This sounds like every year to me. We always say "well look at the UFA list. Shero will sign some of these guys." It NEVER happens. Shero has a proven track record of making deadline deals for impact players (see Kunitz, Neal, Nisky, Hossa, Dupper, Guerin as the successful ones). He has a very poor track record of signing FA's in July. I suppose a trade in the offseason could make sense but we need to compete this season, so a move has to be made.

True but barring major injuries I don't think we'll see any huge names coming during the season, to the disappointment of many. Just look at last year.

Phion Keneuf

Bang Bang
Jul 4, 2010
BB has been playing with Tyler Kennedy.

[end post]

Sorry, let me expand: Bennett has surprised a lot of people with his skating, his defensive awareness, positioning, and overall commitment, and he's been really decent along the boards.

The offensive side of things hasn't clicked yet, because....

(points to top of the post)

he's playing with Tyler Kennedy.

What are our hopes for him? I don't know if he'll stick with the team the rest of the year (I don't expect him to), but I expect him to be a permanent fixture in the top-6 next year.

Right handed, creative, young, he's everything the Pens need.

Thanks for the post!

Congrats to him scoring his first goal, really liked him at the time of his draft and good to see him doing well

Jag68Sid87

Sullivan gots to go!
Oct 1, 2003
Montreal, QC
I really think we have to look away from the traditional trade-deadline-day "buyers" and "sellers" this year. Eklund can list the entire Southeast Division as sellers for all I care, but all that means is they have certain players they'd want to move because in all likelihood they are set to become UFAs. But whoever wins the Southeast gets the No. 3 seed. It might be a five-way race for one spot. So none of those teams will be selling the farm completely, imo.

Columbus as the only true seller is likely. So who are they selling? D Adrian Aucoin, likely. We don't want him. D Jack Johnson? D James Wisniewski? Those are massive cap hits. LW Vinny Prospal? Sure. He'll go somewhere. Not an impact player, though. The only other UFA they have is Mark Letestu. (lol)

Umberger has been discussed to death here...too much money, too many years, not good enough. So really, we're left with hockey trades. Roster players for roster players. I have a defenseman, you have a winger, let's deal.

That should be the focus.

Shady Machine

Aug 6, 2010
True but barring major injuries I don't think we'll see any huge names coming during the season, to the disappointment of many. Just look at last year.

Geno having a concussion seems to be a major injury to me. Of course, we don't expect him to be out long term but who knows.

Anyway, the point is we need to compete for a cup this year. We didn't make any trades last year and we saw how that worked out. With Staal gone, we have lost significant scoring depth (esp for the playoffs) and we need to make a move. I will be extremely disappointed if Shero doesn't upgrade this roster heading into the playoffs.

plaidchuck

Feb 26, 2013
Pittsburgh
I really think we have to look away from the traditional trade-deadline-day "buyers" and "sellers" this year. Eklund can list the entire Southeast Division as sellers for all I care, but all that means is they have certain players they'd want to move because in all likelihood they are set to become UFAs. But whoever wins the Southeast gets the No. 3 seed. It might be a five-way race for one spot. So none of those teams will be selling the farm completely, imo.

Exactly. With the nature of this year every team remotely on the bubble knows to get in all it will take is a late season push.

jabba2

Oct 28, 2010
Speaking of Briere... the Puck Daddy thinks STL might be the destination. Watch Holmgren trade for Stewart. This board will lose its mind. :laugh: Not that we have anyone comparable to Briere to offer if it did happen...

http://sports.yahoo.com/blogs/nhl-p...blues-makes-perfect-sense-143831797--nhl.html

If the Flyers were smart they would move Briere, even if they have to pay some of the cap hit, because they haven't played very good this year. Briere would benefit more being on a "win now" team. And the Flyers could get a more useful piece for the holes in their roster.

Hottubber

Feb 9, 2010
If the Flyers were smart they would move Briere, even if they have to pay some of the cap hit, because they haven't played very good this year. Briere would benefit more being on a "win now" team. And the Flyers could get a more useful piece for the holes in their roster.

The Flyers are "supposed" to be a win now team. They are better than their record indicates

Fire Shero*

Not sure who but I honestly dont think Shero will make any huge moves during the season regardless of what happens. The offseason though I think something will happen either way.

We all thought big moves would happen this past offseason. Well the team got significantly worse. They lost Staal, Sullivan, Asham, and Michalek and replaced them with Glass, Sutter and some prospects.

It wasn't Shero's fault Staal wanted out but he didnt do a damn thing for damage control.

How many big trades occurred last offseason? The time is now to make a trade. We can't sign big name free agents for whatever reason. Plus you all gave Shero immunity for never signing a respectable free agent because we of limited cap space. Now we have cap room and we splurged on Glass.

specialized

Jan 24, 2013
I would really want to know why another team would want kennedy? if we think he stinks other teams will see this. So to put this to bed, he is hear for the long run.

The only way we get a decent player here will be for prospects. Unless we trade Crosby,Malkin,Neal or Letang and I dont see that happening.

plaidchuck

Feb 26, 2013
Pittsburgh
We all thought big moves would happen this past offseason. Well the team got significantly worse. They lost Staal, Sullivan, Asham, and Michalek and replaced them with Glass, Sutter and some prospects.

It wasn't Shero's fault Staal wanted out but he didnt do a damn thing for damage control.

How many big trades occurred last offseason? The time is now to make a trade. We can't sign big name free agents for whatever reason. Plus you all gave Shero immunity for never signing a respectable free agent because we of limited cap space. Now we have cap room and we splurged on Glass.

I think moves will be made but I don't think it will be the panacea that everyone wants. And we all know by now he definitely won't pay more for a FA than what he thinks is fair.

Also it's kind of funny other than missing Staal they won the cup with even less offensive depth than they have now. That team was blessed in a lot of ways.

Saints11

Jan 24, 2012
Pittsburgh

Columbus as the only true seller is likely. So who are they selling? D Adrian Aucoin, likely. We don't want him. D Jack Johnson? D James Wisniewski? Those are massive cap hits. LW Vinny Prospal? Sure. He'll go somewhere. Not an impact player, though. The only other UFA they have is Mark Letestu. (lol)

Umberger has been discussed to death here...too much money, too many years, not good enough. So really, we're left with hockey trades. Roster players for roster players. I have a defenseman, you have a winger, let's deal.

That should be the focus.

I don't think it is a case of Umberger not being good enough. He is plenty good enough to be a top 6 winger. He has all the tools, if not more, than Kunitz. It is the case that he has had to do everything for Columbus, and still it is never good enough. If he were to come here, he'd flourish with either Sid or Geno and be Kunitz like. However, it seems his 4.6 for 3 more years makes that close to unlikely. Which may be the same circumstance as David Jones.

Sidney the Kidney

One last time
Jun 29, 2009
The more I see this team play, the more I think the Pens should be all-in with regards to Jarome Iginla. He's exactly what this team needs, both in terms of his ability and his veteran presence.

This team almost plays as though it misses that veteran presence, like Guerin when he came over, like when Gary Roberts was acquired. I think Iginla could be that guy. And unlike Roberts and Guerin, I think Iginla's still got top line ability to boot.

IMO, there's not a more perfect target out there in terms of all of our needs, not just the need to find a scoring top six winger.

Hottubber

Feb 9, 2010

Glass replacing Asham is an upgrade. Losing Michalek has not hurt one bit. A lot of posters question the return, but Shero did not want to take salary back.

How do you figure about Staal? Shero got a very good return for a player that turned down a 10 year 60 million dollar deal and all but said he wanted to go to Carolina.

Im curious to what your suggestions are of what Shero should have done?

gordie

5x
Jul 9, 2002
hfboards.com
Speaking of Briere... the Puck Daddy thinks STL might be the destination. Watch Holmgren trade for Stewart. This board will lose its mind. :laugh: Not that we have anyone comparable to Briere to offer if it did happen...

http://sports.yahoo.com/blogs/nhl-p...blues-makes-perfect-sense-143831797--nhl.html

The Philadelphia organization has been trying for more than 3 years to move Briere with no takers, so the likelihood of them getting Stewart for him at that age difference is about the same as Dan Bylsma putting his foot down and demanding accountability from his players like Michel Therrien.

Saints11

Jan 24, 2012
Pittsburgh
To get Stewart from St. Louis, it will take Despres and Kennedy, for cap reasons.

To Pittsburgh: Chris Stewart and a 4th or 5th.

To St. Louis: Simon Despres and Tyler Kennedy.

Jag68Sid87

Sullivan gots to go!
Oct 1, 2003
Montreal, QC
I would really want to know why another team would want kennedy? if we think he stinks other teams will see this. So to put this to bed, he is hear for the long run.

The only way we get a decent player here will be for prospects. Unless we trade Crosby,Malkin,Neal or Letang and I dont see that happening.

I partly agree. At least about Tyler Kennedy. I believe nobody wants a guy making $2 million who doesn't a) score, b) kill penalties, c) win face-offs, d) fight or provide size or e) be used on the PP. If we use him in a trade, we'll have to add SIGNIFICANT pieces to get someone worthwhile.

That said, I don't think he's here for the long run. We won't qualify him this summer (just like we didn't qualify him the last time), but this time we won't re-sign him at the 11th hour. His career is on a downward spiral. He's only 26 so he may turn it back around, but there's also the chance he won't be in the NHL next season if he doesn't improve his play dramatically.

As for your second comment, I believe you forgot a few names that we could trade that would net us something interesting: Paul Martin, Brooks Orpik, Matt Niskanen, Deryk Engelland, Chris Kunitz, Brandon Sutter, Matt Cooke and Pascal Dupuis.

I don't see why any of those guys would be untouchable right about now.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad