Post-Game Talk: wing

egelband

Sep 6, 2008
5-2 win over a tired Florida team where they stunk like crap for the first part of it. They have followed that game up by scoring two even strength goals in their last two games and all of this team's bad habits are still there.

Consistency - this team doesn't have it, and they don't because they don't play the right way. I don't want to hope for anything, I want to expect it.
These complaints and many of the other complaints I see here are actually correct. But my point is that the issues with this team are not unique to this team and do not condemn the team to failure.
I agree the Rangers are probably not ready for true contention but no matter what, the key ingredients are time and experience (and probably one more affordable and exceptional forward, ideally a center). No coach is going to fix that.

Reactions: leetch99 and bl02

RempireStateBuilding

Dec 13, 2009
NY
I dont know what I was expecting tbh. I was looking for pre-covid NYR or Gallants Vegas... where the forecheck/pressure was relentless. Attacking. We are no where close to that and I don't know anymore

This team is frustrating to watch. 5v5 it feels like we are massively underachieving.

It's a strange thing. Some teams seem to have ingrained styles: Flyers/Bruins playing a heavy game with skill for instance. Vegas, being a new team looking no further than the city itself to set the team's tone, went for an exciting and up tempo "Wow" factor game. For the Rangers it has always felt like the style is "Make it look nice, classy, and pretty. We need style. The dirtier, the worse." This team is allergic to creating and being in chaos - See the game vs. Carolina, where Carolina banged and created chaos all game and it gave the Rangers fits. It wasn't nice, pretty, or classy. It was dirty in the sense that they weren't waiting for perfect moments or looking to force a tic-tac-toe play. The Rangers almost always seem to look for that extra pass when the second player in a would-be tic-tac-toe set up could get a quick shot off.

My biggest gripe with this team some nights is puck management/support.

duhmetreE

Blessed Bigly
Sponsor
Jan 18, 2012
It's a strange thing. Some teams seem to have ingrained styles: Flyers/Bruins playing a heavy game with skill for instance. Vegas, being a new team looking no further than the city itself to set the team's tone, went for an exciting and up tempo "Wow" factor game. For the Rangers it has always felt like the style is "Make it look nice, classy, and pretty. We need style. The dirtier, the worse." This team is allergic to creating and being in chaos - See the game vs. Carolina, where Carolina banged and created chaos all game and it gave the Rangers fits. It wasn't nice, pretty, or classy. It was dirty in the sense that they weren't waiting for perfect moments or looking to force a tic-tac-toe play. The Rangers almost always seem to look for that extra pass when the second player in a would-be tic-tac-toe set up could get a quick shot off.

Getting flashbacks to the figure skating Rangers of Straka Nylander Jagr

egelband

Sep 6, 2008

The Rangers version of “grimy” is hiring a goon to perform staged fights for the fans. And I think most of us here wish for what you are talking about. Goals from in close. Scrum goals. We love the beautiful hockey too, of course. But that’s not gonna cut it in the spring. Thus one cup in 82 seasons. It’s definitely in the dna of this club.

bobbop

Henrik & Pop
Sponsor
May 27, 2004
Now, Suburban Phoenix. Then, Long Island
Way too many here have no understanding how the inside of a hockey locker room works. The camaraderie of a hockey team has far greater value than any other sport. This ain’t the NBA, You don’t build a better team by ripping key players out of the room past the midway point of the season. You can make additions both big and small but if you are going high and aiming higher, you work around the edges. Major changes come during the summer. You blow up a locker room and no matter who you add, the net positive won’t be there.
To add to this…

Been reading a lot about the new culture in Minnesota this year. Guerin blew up the locker room during the summer, gassing Parise and Suter among others. Neither have set the world on fire with their new teams. Meanwhile, the Wild have developed a new culture built around young players and they are playing well above the sum of their parts.

This is why the locker room is so important.

McRanger92

Jun 7, 2017
To add to this…

Been reading a lot about the new culture in Minnesota this year. Guerin blew up the locker room during the summer, gassing Parise and Suter among others. Neither have set the world on fire with their new teams. Meanwhile, the Wild have developed a new culture built around young players and they are playing well above the sum of their parts.

This is why the locker room is so important.

This. Not having a succession plan in place once Henrik/Staal/Fast were purged from the organization after the bubble was another big mistake of the previous regime. Quinn wasnt a strong enough leader and clearly Mika/Kreider/Trouba/etc. did not feel empowered to police the locker room themselves. Hence why we had so many issues behind the scenes last year.

Gallant treats these guys like professionals and it shows. And despite the jokes we got off about the 6 A's, clearly thats worked as well. It doesnt shock me that were seeing these guys play their best hockey in years now that the players, coaches & front office are pushing toward a common goal of making the playoffs.

Reactions: egelband

Rangerfan4life90

Oct 14, 2008
College Point, NY
This. Not having a succession plan in place once Henrik/Staal/Fast were purged from the organization after the bubble was another big mistake of the previous regime. Quinn wasnt a strong enough leader and clearly Mika/Kreider/Trouba/etc. did not feel empowered to police the locker room themselves. Hence why we had so many issues behind the scenes last year.

Gallant treats these guys like professionals and it shows. And despite the jokes we got off about the 6 A's, clearly thats worked as well. It doesnt shock me that were seeing these guys play their best hockey in years now that the players, coaches & front office are pushing toward a common goal of making the playoffs.

I just wish the team was a lot better 5 on 5. That basically seems to be the main and only real issue with this squad.

McRanger92

Jun 7, 2017
I just wish the team was a lot better 5 on 5. That basically seems to be the main and only real issue with this squad.

Simple answer is they have no depth and the bottom 6 is awful compared to other playoff teams. The complex answer is that the team is so hesitant to shoot the puck. The vets would always rather make the extra pass, and the young guys hold on to it to long. Im excited for the 2nd half because I think both things are correctable and this team reaches another gear

chosen

Aug 2, 2005
ASPG
Embarrassing loss.

2nd game in a row they have to go to a shootout and one guy scores.

Panarin useless again tonight when we needed the 11 million dollar man to score a goal.

Also, this team hasn't won in OT since Toronto. Can't even score 3 v 3.

You live for losses. It's like Dracula and blood.

ThirdEye

Nov 28, 2006
New York
It's pretty clear this team needs a not so small upgrade to their bottom 6 if they're actually serious about getting out of the first round. Literally no one in that bottom 6 is a threat to score right now. Both Rooney and Reaves got all of their points out of the way in a single week it seems. Hunt and Gauthier are both abysmal and not a long term solution in any way. It's about as dreary as it gets right now

To make matters worse Panarin hasn't been anywhere near as good 5 on 5 as in prior years. I think it's a case of him not putting in as much effort and also teams being better at neutralizing his game. He's still putting up a ton of points though so can't rest the blame on him

CLW

Nov 11, 2018
I dont know what I was expecting tbh. I was looking for pre-covid NYR or Gallants Vegas... where the forecheck/pressure was relentless. Attacking. We are no where close to that and I don't know anymore

This team is frustrating to watch. 5v5 it feels like we are massively underachieving.

We are absolutely underachieving. Lundell in Florida has 10 G 24 A. Laf has 10 G 3 A's. Put any of Chytil, Kakko or Laf on this Florida team and their numbers would look significantly different, because all Florida lines drive the net relentlessly. It's a systems/approach issue.

TheBloodyNine

Pure Bred Soviet Savage
Oct 8, 2016
Queens
We are absolutely underachieving. Lundell in Florida has 10 G 24 A. Laf has 10 G 3 A's. Put any of Chytil, Kakko or Laf on this Florida team and their numbers would look significantly different, because all Florida lines drive the net relentlessly. It's a systems/approach issue.
The guy who implemented that system in Florida is available too. Too bad he’s cancelled.

Reactions: duhmetreE

tlk

Jan 7, 2020
Yekaterinburg
yawn this bod's still going

these long pauses between games are evil... at least for those who have too much time on their hands that is.

having Q would've been good for this team tho

Larrybiv

We're CLEAN, we PROMISE!
May 14, 2013
South Florida
Throw in Kravtsov, two firsts and Strome for Larkin as well.
Yeah, huh? Talk about going "all in". Sign me up.
One could only "entertain" the entertainment Kravtsov could have provided for this team. He literally is one of the few "missing pieces" that we needed. He was there and in a flash, was not.
Somehow reminds me of Cherepanov. We have been CHEATED.

Reactions: CasusBelli

Larrybiv

We're CLEAN, we PROMISE!
May 14, 2013
South Florida
I thought Raymond had a good game. He had a few grade A chances that Igor denied and set up Larkin well a few times too. I think he'll be a stud for them, but I always wait till the sophmore slump before deciding on these breakout rookies.

Seider was very impressive. Kreider tried to throw a check on him and I swear he bounced off him and went flying back. Kids got some unnatural strength. Defensively he didn't seem any more impressive than Schneider or KAM though.

Happy the Wings got some young talent though. They are probably the only team in the East besides the Rangers that I genuinely like.

Me too! Wanna know why? My bet is because they have been irrelevant for a very long time, and we don't play them very much since way back in the 70's, if I'm not mistaken. We have absolutely no rivalry with them and have no real reason to dislike them other than the fact they have a Larkin that we would desperately die for.

Larrybiv

We're CLEAN, we PROMISE!
May 14, 2013
South Florida
Look no further than the development and maturing of a very talented Duclair. He has found a home with this relentless system and is the beneficiary of that system (along with his talent). Agreed, Laf/Kaapo/Chytil I have no doubts would be tearing it up. Here, it seems every man for himself.
I know that sounds harsh, and I KNOW they are teaching them to be 200ft. players which is better in the long run.....but they NEED to score and grow infinitesimal confidence. They are all stagnant.
Only time will tell. Laf is progressing, even Filip has been a little better. A little.

Larrybiv

We're CLEAN, we PROMISE!
May 14, 2013
South Florida
This scheduling sucks. After 2 weeks off, do we really NEED 3 days betwixt games? My God, then we'll be playing like 9 games in 12 days. (SARCASM)

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad