Windsor Spitfires 2023-24 Off-Season Thread (Part 2)

Teflon

Jan 6, 2018
So lets try for some ideas. Who is on your list to coach here?? Dont care if its out there lets hear it! Personally i think BB goes as big as he can, within budget, for a guy without much baggage. Welly fits perfect but im told hes just not in the right frame of mind. Guy like Quenville would be mu longshot. Yes some baggage but its arms length stuff and his resume! My personal hope? Team gets sold and guys with a real love of junior hockey take over. Had enough of this entire group….

Reactions: windsor7

RayzorIsDull

Nov 16, 2007
bp on hfboards
So lets try for some ideas. Who is on your list to coach here?? Dont care if its out there lets hear it! Personally i think BB goes as big as he can, within budget, for a guy without much baggage. Welly fits perfect but im told hes just not in the right frame of mind. Guy like Quenville would be mu longshot. Yes some baggage but its arms length stuff and his resume! My personal hope? Team gets sold and guys with a real love of junior hockey take over. Had enough of this entire group….
They need to find their Dennis Williams. Williams is 44 right now from Stratford but got into coaching at the age of 22 (Bowling Green). Finally settled in with Everett and went back to Bowling Green. They had a great run with him.

It may take time but there are guys just like Williams who want a chance.

Reactions: Teflon

RayzorIsDull

Nov 16, 2007
bp on hfboards

Attachments

• H2QRTGCIFKIKAWX7LYHWULFGWI.gif
    H2QRTGCIFKIKAWX7LYHWULFGWI.gif
    3.3 MB · Views: 2

Teflon

Jan 6, 2018
Walters would ruin what Billy has been able to fix with the draft. Spitfire hockey has only suffered under him as GM! Yes its my opinion, no i dont want stats.

Reactions: rve24

OHLTG

Nov 18, 2008
behind lens, Ontario
Spitfires sign Lemieux to a contract.

Worth noting from the Windsor Star - Lemieux speaks highly of Newbury, who was his coach when Newbury was with Trenton. Said he was a very positive coach who gave everything he could to make his players better. Newbury said he didn't make the pick but had a "chit chat" about Lemieux to Bowler and Evola and was happy when it all went down.

Last edited:

windsor7

Nov 29, 2015

Worth noting from the Windsor Star - Lemieux speaks highly of Newbury, who was his coach when Newbury was with Trenton. Said he was a very positive coach who gave everything he could to make his players better. Newbury said he didn't make the pick but had a "chit chat" about Lemieux to Bowler and Evola and was happy when it all went down.
So the "events" didn't affect him..

OHLTG

Nov 18, 2008
behind lens, Ontario
Here's what the WStar said...

"No one on the Spitfires knows Lemieux better than assistant coach Kris Newbury. The former NHLer coached him in Kingston last season and was coaching him against this year in Quinte when he was hired by Windsor just before Christmas.

“It was hard when he left,” Lemieux said of Newbury’s departure. “He was a big piece. He’s a good coach. He’s positive and gives you everything he can to make you a better player.”

Newbury did not make the selection, but does remember talking to Bowler and Spitfires’ director of scouting and hockey operations Frank Evola before the draft about Lemieux.

“I had an idea they were interested from where he was ranked and I had a little chit-chat with Bill and Frank,” Newbury said. “By not means did I make the decision, but I was all for it. I was very excited."

Reactions: hockeylegend11

OHL4Life

Sep 6, 2017
newbury has issues, hes very oldschool, hes been applying for teams for a few years im surprised windsor took him on but here they are. i think he was a package deal with walters before walters got suspended, they are very tight.

the issues with newbury happened at the trenton jr a team, not the quinte aaa team.

Cherrydon

Jan 4, 2019
WINDSOR
Walters can apply to be reinstated after June 30th. So expect Bowler to stay quiet about HC until July unless someone else is coming in sooner.

Last edited:

OHLTG

Nov 18, 2008
behind lens, Ontario
Until Bowler hires a HC, regardless of who it is, you're not going to hear much from him on that front. Again, he's not Rychel, as hard as it is to accept that in some situations.

Cherrydon

Jan 4, 2019
WINDSOR
Until Bowler hires a HC, regardless of who it is, you're not going to hear much from him on that front. Again, he's not Rychel, as hard as it is to accept that in some situations.
Absolutely agree. I just said don't expect anything until that time frame if walters is the next coach. Can't hire a currently ineligible coach.

Reactions: OHLTG

hockeylegend11

Sep 11, 2010

Happy and not surprised Spits signed Lemieiux looked real good at orientation camp,hopefully Spits in time sign American born players Ethan Garden (Cen) and goalie
Jake Windbiel both 16 year olds,got to have 3 goalies under contract anyways even if he doesn't play here next season.

Teflon

Jan 6, 2018
If walters is the guy, are we to believe no exhaustive lol search was made? Has this been his choice all along? That would be a very bad look imho.

OHLTG

Nov 18, 2008
behind lens, Ontario
If walters is the guy, are we to believe no exhaustive lol search was made? Has this been his choice all along? That would be a very bad look imho.

People are going to believe whatever they want to believe. That's been proven umpteen times, both on here and in life. Let's say Walters is hired and Bowler says "we interviewed 30 candidates from various levels and leagues and felt Walters was the best choice".... will that be believed? I honestly doubt it.

Reactions: Teflon

OHL4Life

Sep 6, 2017
People are going to believe whatever they want to believe. That's been proven umpteen times, both on here and in life. Let's say Walters is hired and Bowler says "we interviewed 30 candidates from various levels and leagues and felt Walters was the best choice".... will that be believed? I honestly doubt it.
who cares what people believe? some will eat whatever bowler says, some will refute everything he says, end of the day the results are really all that matters. if they hire a great coach, it will show. if he hires a bad coach, like he did last time, the results will show. worrying about what people say or policing it aint changing anything.

OHLTG

Nov 18, 2008
behind lens, Ontario
who cares what people believe? some will eat whatever bowler says, some will refute everything he says, end of the day the results are really all that matters. if they hire a great coach, it will show. if he hires a bad coach, like he did last time, the results will show. worrying about what people say or policing it aint changing anything.

I was going off Teflon's question of "are we to believe...?"

RayzorIsDull

Nov 16, 2007
bp on hfboards
I think it depends on how much you trust him. Some do, some don't. I don't blame for people that don't. Yes they made the OHL title game in 2022 but we are now headed into a season where the only player remaining is Abraham. Totally new coaching staff in place. How well have they turned it over in the past 24 months? Certainly doesn't look good.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad