Windsor Spitfires 2021-22 Season Thread (Part 4)

Status
Not open for further replies.

member 71782

I would hope so. If nothing else it calms things down a bit and gives them that much more time for things to start to turn around.

hockeylegend11

Sep 11, 2010
So the Q is extending the break to Jan 7th. Will the others follow??

I can see this happening, and if it did with the same reporting and game dates,Windsor would have 5 games canceled, at Kitchener, at Guelph, New Years Eve day vs Flint,at Sarnia,at Saginaw.
Open up at SSM January 7.
Will Cuylle with Team Canada would finish Jan 5 if Canada goes to championship game.

Reactions: three dog night

Arron Backhouse

Mar 25, 2019
I would think that with everything happening with the NHL that an extension of the break is being considered. There should be no harm in the games being re scheduled if the health and safety of not only the players and team personal but of the fans who are attending the games, i know that arena availability would be a factor but if the handful of games get moved to the end of the season witch would extend it making the playoffs start a little bit later then normal. Anything should be looked at to have the season finish completely & safely for everyone

RayzorIsDull

Nov 16, 2007
bp on hfboards
Well there's lots to unfold over the last how ever many posts. First of all in regards to any delay in the OHL season that's an extremely slippery slope. We still have rec hockey going on in arenas all over Ontario. I can't see how having grown adults playing hockey with less health measures as compared to what the OHL could implement... (Unless it comes down to capacity limits and owners not liking it but that would shudder the league further down the line) Use Sudbury for example they still have 46 games to play, throw in a Jan 2nd date that would be 46 games in 91 days which isn't feasible imo. The ones that tested positive aren't even eligible to be tested for another 90 days. So what are we doing if we prolong the beginning of the 2nd half of the season? This is part of the issue of starting the season so late they pretty much eliminated any buffer of a 2-3 week window to make up games. If they delay they will either have to shorten the year or.... teams will have to forefit games and that would be a tough sell.

As for the games I missed they ran the table and that's great. Won't wade into the waters of +/-, trends, stats. They're still scoring goals at a high clip, still giving up goals at a high clip. The questions remain is how much you can trust Medina. He was already hurt for a month, came back for a week and then wasn't available for the following week. The frustrating part for me would be is why they trust Tovell so much. His numbers are exactly those you would think for a 19 year old with very little prior OHL experience and only Jr B hockey. In regards to upgrading goaltending they should look at a better #3 goalie if that's all they're interested in doing because it should be inexpensive. As for people that are skeptical of Medina it does make some sense considering their 2nd and 3rd string goalies have collectively started more games for the Spits this year than Medina so it’s not necessarily unreasonable to believe that.

If you wanted to get into comparing this season to 19-20. The 19-20 team had a better record at this point 16-6-4, following that up with 8 wins in their next 10 and not letting in more than 4 goals in 1 game. Getting them to the high point of 24-8-4. That will be extremely difficult to attain if they just resume play normally, not accounting for if there are delays.
Whether to make a run, tinker, sell off or do a bit of a sell off and run. Easily sell off some of the OAs (I know how Bowler is loyal to the OAs though). You could make a case for any OA to be moved if you're bringing in a top OA. If you brought in Perrott you need to move one of your OA D though. The merits of Henault and his goal scoring ability he's increased his goal scoring total from last year but he also had a hatrick in his debut which is obviously the outlier when prior he had 2 for his entire career.

I think there’s a less than zero chance that he sells but also buys. A 15% chance that he makes a tinker or low level depth move, a 15% chance he makes a larger scale move and a 70% chance he does really nothing. Making a low level move or doing nothing really doesn’t serve any type of purpose. I still question whether a guy like McDonald would be back next year if he continues to put up high goal totals. Any type of delay combined with no 20-21 season a team would probably rather sign him and have him play in the ECHL. Teams want certainty that these guys can play a full schedule and if they cut this season down it's going to hurt the belief factor in the OHL.

In regards to whether a team in the West is scary or how Windsor is viewed. It’s all about matchups. Windsor has made many strides but there are many more strides to be made if they consider themselves contenders.

Reactions: three dog night

hockeylegend11

Sep 11, 2010
Well there's lots to unfold over the last how ever many posts. First of all in regards to any delay in the OHL season that's an extremely slippery slope. We still have rec hockey going on in arenas all over Ontario. I can't see how having grown adults playing hockey with less health measures as compared to what the OHL could implement... (Unless it comes down to capacity limits and owners not liking it but that would shudder the league further down the line) Use Sudbury for example they still have 46 games to play, throw in a Jan 2nd date that would be 46 games in 91 days which isn't feasible imo. The ones that tested positive aren't even eligible to be tested for another 90 days. So what are we doing if we prolong the beginning of the 2nd half of the season? This is part of the issue of starting the season so late they pretty much eliminated any buffer of a 2-3 week window to make up games. If they delay they will either have to shorten the year or.... teams will have to forefit games and that would be a tough sell.

As for the games I missed they ran the table and that's great. Won't wade into the waters of +/-, trends, stats. They're still scoring goals at a high clip, still giving up goals at a high clip. The questions remain is how much you can trust Medina. He was already hurt for a month, came back for a week and then wasn't available for the following week. The frustrating part for me would be is why they trust Tovell so much. His numbers are exactly those you would think for a 19 year old with very little prior OHL experience and only Jr B hockey. In regards to upgrading goaltending they should look at a better #3 goalie if that's all they're interested in doing because it should be inexpensive. As for people that are skeptical of Medina it does make some sense considering their 2nd and 3rd string goalies have collectively started more games for the Spits this year than Medina so it’s not necessarily unreasonable to believe that.

If you wanted to get into comparing this season to 19-20. The 19-20 team had a better record at this point 16-6-4, following that up with 8 wins in their next 10 and not letting in more than 4 goals in 1 game. Getting them to the high point of 24-8-4. That will be extremely difficult to attain if they just resume play normally, not accounting for if there are delays.
Whether to make a run, tinker, sell off or do a bit of a sell off and run. Easily sell off some of the OAs (I know how Bowler is loyal to the OAs though). You could make a case for any OA to be moved if you're bringing in a top OA. If you brought in Perrott you need to move one of your OA D though. The merits of Henault and his goal scoring ability he's increased his goal scoring total from last year but he also had a hatrick in his debut which is obviously the outlier when prior he had 2 for his entire career.

I think there’s a less than zero chance that he sells but also buys. A 15% chance that he makes a tinker or low level depth move, a 15% chance he makes a larger scale move and a 70% chance he does really nothing. Making a low level move or doing nothing really doesn’t serve any type of purpose. I still question whether a guy like McDonald would be back next year if he continues to put up high goal totals. Any type of delay combined with no 20-21 season a team would probably rather sign him and have him play in the ECHL. Teams want certainty that these guys can play a full schedule and if they cut this season down it's going to hurt the belief factor in the OHL.

In regards to whether a team in the West is scary or how Windsor is viewed. It’s all about matchups. Windsor has made many strides but there are many more strides to be made if they consider themselves contenders.

The teams Windsor are contending with SSM(tied with),Ldn.(3 points back of) Guelph (4 points back of) all have many strides to be made to consider themselves contenders as well.
Last 8 eight games Guelph is 6-2,London 3-5,SSM 4-2-2 and Windsor 6-0-2.
And Windsor did their record with their #1 goalie out 5 games unlike the others.

Reactions: Travis Bickle 77

hockeylegend11

Sep 11, 2010
Pops

Misleading info by yourself
Firstly Bennett and Oster for Guelph have played 15 games each,Oster better average and save per centage then Bennett,look it up
Tynan for Hounds is averaging 3.86 so far for the Hounds 1 win,he averaged 3.88 for Niagara a far worst team
All the above have higher averages then Medina for Windsor.
Yes Brochu missed 3 for London and they lost all three by a score 12-2
Now Evangelista missed 2 games too and London went 0-2 and were outscored 8-1
Windsor had Medina out for 5 as mentioned and Cuylle missed the last 4 games,Windsor went 4-0,Medina missed the last 2 including the one against your Hounds and Tynan lost to Windsor with Windsor playing their backup Downey who has struggled lately
Need I say more.
You should stay in your lane Pops.

windsor7

Nov 29, 2015
Pops

Misleading info by yourself
Firstly Bennett and Oster for Guelph have played 15 games each,Oster better average and save per centage then Bennett,look it up
Tynan for Hounds is averaging 3.86 so far for the Hounds 1 win,he averaged 3.88 for Niagara a far worst team
All the above have higher averages then Medina for Windsor.
Yes Brochu missed 3 for London and they lost all three by a score 12-2
Now Evangelista missed 2 games too and London went 0-2 and were outscored 8-1
Windsor had Medina out for 5 as mentioned and Cuylle missed the last 4 games,Windsor went 4-0,Medina missed the last 2 including the one against your Hounds and Tynan lost to Windsor with Windsor playing their backup Downey who has struggled lately
Need I say more.
You should stay in your lane Pops.

Just a different picture being shown by a different poster.

aresknights

Dec 27, 2009
london
Talking with a SSM players dad, Tynan has been very good, it's the D that has kept them down. And he has seen all their games n a few live. Not just stat watching.
I like Tynan esp. for the price paid. Hard working kid n great comeback story. Easy to cheer for him.
If SSM can get their D situation figured out (heard the GM came down during an intermission recently n tore into them) they are my fav. In the West.
Windsor, Guelph, London in the next group
But as mentioned the post deadline is where we will see who is who in the zoo.

hockeylegend11

Sep 11, 2010
Just a different picture being shown by a different poster.

Actually he enhanced my numbers unknowingly, as he mentioned 2 goalies who played more games then Medina, Bennett and Brochu, the third goalie Tynan who currently has a higher average then their other starter Ivanov 3.62,Tynan 3.86,though I do expect his average to improve speaking of Tynan,though only if his defense improves.

Teflon

Jan 6, 2018
STATS DONT TELL THE WHOLE STORY WITH HOCKEY TEAMS!!!!! I can skew stats to make anyone look good! Stop with the make believe. Show me results. I wanna see points.

hockeylegend11

Sep 11, 2010
STATS DONT TELL THE WHOLE STORY WITH HOCKEY TEAMS!!!!! I can skew stats to make anyone look good! Stop with the make believe. Show me results. I wanna see points.

YOU HAVE THEM,Windsor tied for 1st with the Hounds.
Stop nitpicking, When a team goes 6-0-2 in 8 no scorn is deserved especially when considering who has been out of the lineup.
Great depth.
Haven't lost in regulation on the road in 2 months,admit it that's fantastic.

Reactions: scokan and dirty12

windsor7

Nov 29, 2015
Actually he enhanced my numbers unknowingly, as he mentioned 2 goalies who played more games then Medina, Bennett and Brochu, the third goalie Tynan who currently has a higher average then their other starter Ivanov 3.62,Tynan 3.86,though I do expect his average to improve speaking of Tynan,though only if his defense improves.

:sarcasm:

windsor7

Nov 29, 2015
YOU HAVE THEM,Windsor tied for 1st with the Hounds.
Stop nitpicking, When a team goes 6-0-2 in 8 no scorn is deserved especially when considering who has been out of the lineup.
Great depth.
Haven't lost in regulation on the road in 2 months,admit it that's fantastic.

However any stat can be manipulated..

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad