Windsor Spitfires 2021-22 Season Thread (Part 3)

Status
Not open for further replies.

windsor7

Nov 29, 2015
I'm curious and this isn't just for you.

As far as Cuylle goes what exactly would blow people away when you consider it was a similar situation in 2019-20, minus Covid of course and very few deals like we were used to seeing.

There was the Tomasino deal and the Akil Thomas deal but after those two you had the Ryan Suzuki deal or the Tucker to Flint type deals which nothing like we're used to seeing.

Are people expecting a Tomasino type deal or a Mitchell Stephen's type deal?

The only thing that would get close to those this year, but will still be short is a McTavish deal. Johnston would bring the bigger return and he won't bring a McTavish return.

Especially the years r limited now for picks u can give away. That will limited some teams.

stips

Apr 3, 2016
Trading Henault would be a mistake. He is coming into his own, and is counted on by the rest of the team to be a leader.

member 71782

From the outside looking in, Windsor is a lot like Kingston this year. Both teams terrify me if they load up on D. I don't see nearly as big a need for them at F or G.

I don't disagree with this.

Packing the D with 3 big top tier OA D completely remakes the D and will do wonders for the goaltender and the offensive game.

Adding a couple of higher end 03 forwards as I suggested just seals the deal. Their offence us doing well but when about 50% of it comes from 3 players you're playing with fire. One injury leaves you struggling. Their depth players have stepped up with Cuylle gone but they are inconsistent when it comes to contributing.

Adding a couple of higher end 03s is insurance for this year and if needed, recoverable assets next year.

If Johnston went down long term this team would drop like a rock.

hockeylegend11

Sep 11, 2010

Packing the D with 3 big top tier OA D completely remakes the D and will do wonders for the goaltender and the offensive game.

Adding a couple of higher end 03 forwards as I suggested just seals the deal. Their offence us doing well but when about 50% of it comes from 3 players you're playing with fire. One injury leaves you struggling. Their depth players have stepped up with Cuylle gone but they are inconsistent when it comes to contributing.

Adding a couple of higher end 03s is insurance for this year and if needed, recoverable assets next year.

Re Johnston, you mean like London without Evangelista, Guelph without Pastujov and SSM without Kerins.
Interesting Windsor without Cuylle, McDonald, and Zito,their 1st,2nd and 4th leading goal scorers they scored 11 goals in the last 2 game wins.

OHLTG

Nov 18, 2008
behind lens, Ontario
I'm curious and this isn't just for you.

As far as Cuylle goes what exactly would blow people away when you consider it was a similar situation in 2019-20, minus Covid of course and very few deals like we were used to seeing.

There was the Tomasino deal and the Akil Thomas deal but after those two you had the Ryan Suzuki deal or the Tucker to Flint type deals which nothing like we're used to seeing.

Are people expecting a Tomasino type deal or a Mitchell Stephen's type deal?

The only thing that would get close to those this year, but will still be short is a McTavish deal. Johnston would bring the bigger return and he won't bring a McTavish return.

What would blow me away? A high-end 04 and multiple 2nds/3rds. I'm not saying they'd get that but Cuylle's having a monster season and showing the leadership we hoped he'd have when we acquired him. You can't deal him for anything less than "wow, we can't refuse that."

I still believe our forwards are fine and, if we upgrade our D (and maybe G), there's plenty of potential.

aresknights

Dec 27, 2009
london
Re Johnston, you mean like London without Evangelista, Guelph without Pastujov and SSM without Kerins.
Interesting Windsor without Cuylle, McDonald, and Zito,their 1st,2nd and 4th leading goal scorers they scored 11 goals in the last 2 game wins.

Would losing Johnston instead of all 3 of those have affected the offense more?
It just might if he is the catalyst. I'm not sure, but he seems to be their most dynamic play driver based on limited view n posts on here.

Last edited:

spits

Jul 24, 2013

lol if any star gets hurt on any team they would drop like a rock. You would get more for Johnston than Mctavish since he'll return next season. Johnston might be CHL player of the year next season, they won't trade him just stating his return would be higher. He's now on pace for a ridiculous 130 points, would be the most from a Spits player since Bill Bowler.

It's a tough decision for GM's due to COVID. Spits are probably in a better spot than most teams considering the returning players next season. No point in trading Cuylle if you are only going to get a few draft picks. As it stands now this team could easily make it to the 3rd round. IF they add two strong D-Man could possibly go all the way.

Reactions: scokan

member 71782

Yes like London without Evangelista.

Missing Cuylle, McDonald and Zito but still have Johnston there to carry the load. What would their numbers look like without Johnston?

I said before the season got rolling Johnston would be a better fit for Cuylle than Foudy and he looks to be. Johnston sees the game better than most. He may not be the fastest but he can skate well enough. He may not be the most physical but has no problem with the physical side of the game. He does see the ice better, a lot better than most and there is a very small chance he doesn't return. I think he'll need a year or two in the AHL but that'll just be to acclimate to the next level. As long as Dallas doesn't pull an Arizona he'll return with maybe a couple of games under his belt.

Cuylle has done his part to carry the load and Johnston has done his to make everyone around him better, including Cuylle.

member 71782

What would blow me away? A high-end 04 and multiple 2nds/3rds. I'm not saying they'd get that but Cuylle's having a monster season and showing the leadership we hoped he'd have when we acquired him. You can't deal him for anything less than "wow, we can't refuse that."

I still believe our forwards are fine and, if we upgrade our D (and maybe G), there's plenty of potential.

I agree he's been what we hoped for and I wanted to see this team contend with him.

Here's the issue

I think you're using 5 year old examples to judge his trade value. I would live to see Windsor get that for him but I think that market is long gone.

First of all, beyond Barrie no one has those assets.

Second is every potential contender is much more than just Cuylle away. He would definitely be a key piece for someone but not likely the only piece.

Our forwards are good, doing better than expected when the season first started but right now if Johnston went down there's no one to take his place. Windsor has depth but the type if depth that can come together and fill the hole Johnston would leave.

Everyone's numbers would drop starting with Cuylle's.

OHLTG

Nov 18, 2008
behind lens, Ontario
I agree he's been what we hoped for and I wanted to see this team contend with him.

Here's the issue

I think you're using 5 year old examples to judge his trade value. I would live to see Windsor get that for him but I think that market is long gone.

First of all, beyond Barrie no one has those assets.

Second is every potential contender is much more than just Cuylle away. He would definitely be a key piece for someone but not likely the only piece.

Our forwards are good, doing better than expected when the season first started but right now if Johnston went down there's no one to take his place. Windsor has depth but the type if depth that can come together and fill the hole Johnston would leave.

Everyone's numbers would drop starting with Cuylle's.

You asked what I'd want for him and I gave the answer. Whether or not the asking price is realistic is another story. Cuylle's in a career season and his value should reflect as such. If teams can't afford him, then that's fine, Windsor doesn't sell him. Frankly, I'd love to see them try to make some noise, esp after what's happened over the last two years.

member 71782

lol if any star gets hurt on any team they would drop like a rock. You would get more for Johnston than Mctavish since he'll return next season. Johnston might be CHL player of the year next season, they won't trade him just stating his return would be higher. He's now on pace for a ridiculous 130 points, would be the most from a Spits player since Bill Bowler.

It's a tough decision for GM's due to COVID. Spits are probably in a better spot than most teams considering the returning players next season. No point in trading Cuylle if you are only going to get a few draft picks. As it stands now this team could easily make it to the 3rd round. IF they add two strong D-Man could possibly go all the way.

Yes, which is why loaded teams add more top players.

After Cuylle, Johnston and McDonald who would be considered top players across the league from their roster.

Zito has had some moments this year as well as Maggio but they would nould not on any contenders top line and potentially top six without higher tier players around them.

This team as is has not shown they're consistent enough to get out of the second round let alone the third.

Do you think any team that plans on contending is going to run with 3 players accounting for half of their scoring and if one player goes down everyone drops off?

That's not how teams contend.

Do you think if London goes in they'll tweak a bit and hope Evangelista can do it all? I don't think so.

How about any of the top teams in the league? You don't think they'll add to their top six?

I can't say I agree about going all the way with just two Dmen added.

member 71782

You asked what I'd want for him and I gave the answer. Whether or not the asking price is realistic is another story. Cuylle's in a career season and his value should reflect as such. If teams can't afford him, then that's fine, Windsor doesn't sell him. Frankly, I'd love to see them try to make some noise, esp after what's happened over the last two years.

That's fine and very likely not realistic based on 2019-20 and very similar circumstances with prices this year trending down from last year.

The question becomes if you keep and go out in the 2nd round what do you do next year with Johnston? Less assets, not as many higher end players, more needs to fill.

What about the following year with Abraham or Miedema after that?

The quality of the roster stays the same or starts to drop. The number of assets starts to drop as well.

We saw in 2019-20 what happens after the deadline if you don't add and this year we are seeing the results of not selling at least a couple of pieces.

Everyone around us added and we dropped in the standings and by not selling anything if we weren't adding we have fewer assets available to us.

We let players graduate for nothing, didn't make a push when already had more assets than we currently do and many seem to think that's the way to go again.

Reactions: windsor7

windsor7

Nov 29, 2015

Like to see the cupboards fuller..

member 71782

Cfaub

Do think 1st place overall London is a contender or even able to get out of the 2nd rd.?

Not if they don't add.

See there's more to London being in first than just winning early.

London had a favorable schedule to start, like Windsor did.

London made the most of it, Windsor didn't.

I don't have London winning the conference, picked Guelph to. I have London in 3rd and Windsor in 4th.

If London adds and Windsor, Soo and Guelph don't match or exceed then London will win the conference.

If London doesn't do anything and the other 3 do, maybe even Flint makes a small add I wouldn't be shocked to see London finish in 5th or 6th.

Remember Bowler liked this team in 2019-20, thought they could compete with anyone, some posters felt that way to and they were in a battle to finish between 5th and 7th when the season was called.

You know as well as I do it doesn't matter what you do before the deadline, it's what you do at the deadline.

Apparently many on here forgot that a deeper Spits team in 2019-20 didn't add and the results were what should have been expected. Now many want to pretty much repeat those exact same mistakes.

All those in the West didn't even add much but it was enough for Windsor to become an afterthought.

hockeylegend11

Sep 11, 2010
Not if they don't add.

See there's more to London being in first than just winning early.

London had a favorable schedule to start, like Windsor did.

London made the most of it, Windsor didn't.

I don't have London winning the conference, picked Guelph to. I have London in 3rd and Windsor in 4th.

If London adds and Windsor, Soo and Guelph don't match or exceed then London will win the conference.

If London doesn't do anything and the other 3 do, maybe even Flint makes a small add I wouldn't be shocked to see London finish in 5th or 6th.

Remember Bowler liked this team in 2019-20, thought they could compete with anyone, some posters felt that way to and they were in a battle to finish between 5th and 7th when the season was called.

You know as well as I do it doesn't matter what you do before the deadline, it's what you do at the deadline.

Apparently many on here forgot that a deeper Spits team in 2019-20 didn't add and the results were what should have been expected. Now many want to pretty much repeat those exact same mistakes.

All those in the West didn't even add much but it was enough for Windsor to become an afterthought.

Except when the season ended early all those who spent future assets lost them with no return, championships
Like unless it's a certainty a season will be completed I wouldn't deal

member 71782

It's weird being the one to push for them to go all in if they're going to add while those who normally push that aren't.

Am O now the positive one on here?

Maybe there'll be some pom poms under the tree for me.

Yikes

aresknights

Dec 27, 2009
london
Let me ask you like Evangelista in London and Pastujov in Guelph, all similar offensive guys.

It was just a question HL.
Evangelista drives Knights offense. Very effective at creating chances on the PK, creates lots of turnovers n his speed elevates his linemates play so ya it really hurts the team when he is out.
No doubt.
If ya didn't want to answer no big deal. I get it. Apples to oranges.
I would guess based on posters here Johnston is more similar in importance to the teams total offense than any other player. ( just like the Knight player you mentioned ) He has proved he can keep producing without the next tier of talent. He elevates others play.
Again No biggie it was just a question.
Who knows maybe Windsor wouldn't miss a beat
Hopefully they don't have to find out and you can enjoy Johnstons play all year.

hockeylegend11

Sep 11, 2010
It's weird being the one to push for them to go all in if they're going to add while those who normally push that aren't.

Am O now the positive one on here?

Maybe there'll be some pom poms under the tree for me.

Yikes

No unfortunately you are still too negative about Windsor
Windsor is 11-4-2 in their last 17,and that's without Medina for 11 of those games,London 8-7-1 in last 16,losing 3-1 today to Guelph so far,and they have lost to Sarnia 3 straight times in this stretch, talk about a favourable schedule and not taking advantage
I think you dont give Windsor enough credit for what done have done lately, and too critical during early struggles.
Edit- London loses 4-1 to Guelph today,now 8-8-1 in their last 17,Evangelista did play and scored their lone goal.

Last edited:

member 71782

Except when the season ended early all those who spent future assets lost them with no return, championships
Like unless it's a certainty a season will be completed I wouldn't deal

True but did anyone see it coming?

Like I said before, I don't see the league shutting down again. If this is the new variant going around it'll cause some delays but be gone by mid January. Spreads more easily, including among those who are vaccinated but it also has much milder effects and disappears as quick as it came.

Discover in Africa about 4 weeks ago and the nation where it first spread, it made up I believe around 90% of the cases and now very cases of this variant are being found in those countries.

Most of those nations also had low vaccination rates.

In Ontario case counts are expected to double every three days and peak within 3 weeks then drop off just as quickly. It should not have a major impact on hospitalizations, ICU beds or deaths.

My wife who's a nurse on a respiratory floor has received very little info on this variant, as of a couple of days ago and all Covid patients go through her floor before the ICU unless they are straight to ICU.

hockeylegend11

Sep 11, 2010
Cfaub

I really hope you are right re mid January or so,I would hope league extends trade deadline to Jan 24 or so,after all season started 2 weeks later and most players who are in school might be doing remote learning anyways so trading non issue.

member 71782

No unfortunately you are still too negative about Windsor
Windsor is 11-4-2 in their last 17,and that's without Medina for 11 of those games,London 8-7-1 in last 16,losing 3-1 today to Guelph so far,and they have lost to Sarnia 3 straight times in this stretch, talk about a favourable schedule and not taking advantage
I think you dont give Windsor enough credit for what done have done lately, and too critical during early struggles.

Who do I have to pay off?

In all seriousness I've been pushing more and more towards them going all in, if they do it right so that's got to be giving them credit.

As a team there has been improvements, I've made that clear but I'm still critical when they deserve it as well be it one game or over continuing issues. You know I won't cover up or ignore the bad just because they've been better. That where my concerns about inconsistency come from.

They're not going to win every game or out play their opponent every shift but that's no excuse for lack of effort on every shift.

Some confuse out playing an opponent with effort level and they're not the same. Every team is going to try to win and sometimes things don't go your way but that doesn't mean you don't go out there and bust your ass every shift, regardless of the outcome.

When you lose because another team is better that night or every night but you work you ass off you deserve credit as a team.

When you bust your ass and make a boneheaded mistake you deserve criticism for the play.

When you are making the same mistakes game in and game out and routinely play poorly for most of an entire period every single game then the entire team deserves the criticism they get.

When the same players jeep doing the same things every game for years and it eventually causes an issue almost every game those players deserve the criticism they get.

Criticism when deserved isn't or shouldn't be taken as negative. The poor results from those instances are the real negatives.

member 71782

Cfaub

I really hope you are right re mid January or so,I would hope league extends trade deadline to Jan 24 or so,after all season started 2 weeks later and most players who are in school might be doing remote learning anyways so trading non issue.

I agree, did I say that?

Move the trade deadline back which allows time to deal with anymore postponed games in an effective way.

It has other benefits as well and this could be a trial run for some.

The trade deadline always comes right before exams, interfering with schooling. Pushing it back this year would take one more thing off the kids while they write exams.

They want a trade embargo on WJ players, including the rumours while they're away at the tournament which is fine except with the deadline immediately following the tournament there will be rumours. Pushing it back will cut into those rumours a bit.

Moving it back combined with new rules on trading draft picks could open the door to allowing more than just first rounders being traded if the deadline is after exams. Teams gain more options when making deals and opens more opportunities for young players buried on a deep roster.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad