Windsor Spitfires 2021-22 Season Thread (Part 3)

Status
Not open for further replies.

AttackBeacher

Feb 1, 2019
OHLTG - please don't say this is a good trade until he plays a few games here. Last time we traded for a forward from NB he was released at Christmas. This player has 1 goal and 1 assist so far this year. This is a tweak move at best.

Great post!

OHLTG

Nov 18, 2008
behind lens, Ontario
OHLTG - please don't say this is a good trade until he plays a few games here. Last time we traded for a forward from NB he was released at Christmas. This player has 1 goal and 1 assist so far this year. This is a tweak move at best.

LOL it okay if I comment before people assume? I mean, that seems reasonable to me.

My thoughts - I'm lukewarm on it. He produced in his OHL draft year and had 12 goals as a rookie. From the sound of it, he had a smaller role with the Battalion this season, hence the lower point totals. I don't expect 20 goals or anything; he's a depth guy right now. If he can produce more, great. If not, we give up a distant fifth. Low risk, high reward potential.

The underlying tone of your posts seems to be putting the blame on the fans because they are taking the organization for granted but glossing over with a side point tickets are pricey.

Tickets are pricey and I've said that several times online, plus at the games. It's definitely a thing and not a "side point." Yes, I do think fans take the organization for granted at times. No, I won't apologize for that.

RayzorIsDull

Nov 16, 2007
bp on hfboards
LOL it okay if I comment before people assume? I mean, that seems reasonable to me.

My thoughts - I'm lukewarm on it. He produced in his OHL draft year and had 12 goals as a rookie. From the sound of it, he had a smaller role with the Battalion this season, hence the lower point totals. I don't expect 20 goals or anything; he's a depth guy right now. If he can produce more, great. If not, we give up a distant fifth. Low risk, high reward potential.

Tickets are pricey and I've said that several times online, plus at the games. It's definitely a thing and not a "side point." Yes, I do think fans take the organization for granted at times. No, I won't apologize for that.

How can fans take an organization for granted if they believe and you believe ticket prices are too high?? Seems like the owners are the ones taking the fans for granted especially when you consider what has happened in the past.

If you talk to anyone I can bet a season ticket package that one the first 2 things a fan would say about going to the game is affordability of said ticket. That alone is enough to keep people at home.

OHLTG

Nov 18, 2008
behind lens, Ontario
Again, yes, prices this season have come up numerous times. There's zero denying that and I've said they're too high. If you don't think fans can (and have) taken this stuff for granted on occasion, so be it. We won't agree on that. No biggie.

Reactions: DetSpitsFan

Teflon

Jan 6, 2018
A sale/move is simply an option that’s out there. You can bet the league would be very hard pressed to turn down a second sale! I don’t want them to go anywhere, I’d be very upset to be honest.
All the things brought up effect this teams well being, I’ve said this before. This area has a very knowledgeable fan base, your losing attendance because you’ve alienated that group! I know for fact decades long STM’s haven’t renewed this year because they’ve had it with this ownership! Hell I know of one family that won’t come to games and they are very close to this team and get freebies! I’m not talking a handful either. Hope was there when Savard was hired, that hope has given way to more anger. There’s at least 1 guy behind that bench that doesn’t belong and a puppet for a GM. You cannot continue to run this team like this, I’m not sure why they don’t get it. When your team becomes an embarrassment, losses patrons on a large scale and can’t win a single playoff round somethings gotta give?!?!

Last edited:

ohloutsider

Jan 13, 2016
Rock & Hardplace
So some comments from this past weekend. I know others are insiders here but rumblings around the coffee pot is the Spits never intended for this to be a "go for it year". I personally thought that was an option but I know better now.

Upgrading the D - Ya they need help but so does most every other team in the O right now. Prices are too high for the few available quality D out there- Spits won't be spending big for a short term gain.

Upgrading the net minders. See upgrading the D . Remember most teams in the O are skating 10 to 13 rookies every game. Experienced players in any position ( that are available - this is the key part) are at a premium so not looking for any moves.

The OA's and Cuylle may be shopped around but Johnston won't be going anywhere.

Johnston will likely go to the team Canada tryout camp for the experience but I don't think he will make the team until next year.

I think for the Spits what you see is what you get other than a few picks coming back for players. I still think teams will be considering our OA's for depth if they are looking for insurance in a go year.

Cuylle would be the big fish but not sure if he will get moved but it has to be on the table.

High draft pick will help for next year.

This is MHO and rant is over.

windsor7

Nov 29, 2015
If the team were to move, other teams in the O would be lining up to come here. The WFCU is superior to about most of the arenas in the league and until recently, Windsor has been an attendance leader.

It might result in a season or two without the O, but the fans would reappear for the new team. Absence makes the heart grow fonder.

Attenance leader?
Arena been almost half empty for long time. Based on percentage wise, cant be attendance leading.

Kenney Mann

Oct 3, 2021
Windsor's average attendance in 2018/19 was 4,146, their 10 year average at that point was 5,394. for a difference of 1,248 , lowest in the league. most teams see highs and lows, Windsor has been consistently lower every season from 2010/11 except for 2016/17 where they increased by 217 per game over the previous season. The attendance issue isn't a new phenomenon in Windsor and shouldn't be ignored.

I've heard fans talk about this topic and I agree..... Windsor hockey fans will not pay big prices to watch soft hockey which is now the norm in the O.Mark my words the WFCU will not sellout for a number of yrs.

The soft hockey isn't the only reason for the attendance slide add in the economy ... covid...30 percent of residents can't get into the game... tickets prices etc. BUT....the style of game is a big factor in this city.Take it for what it's worth.

Otto

Lynch Syndrome. Know your families cancer history
As I've said, attendance has been suffering for a long time. The pandemic didn't help things. Ticket prices this season just added fuel to the fire. Ownership had a massive opportunity to capitalize on the border being closed. Nobody was crossing to go to Wings or Lions games. Instead of trying to lure people in they drove them further away. And now the opportunity is lost as starting tomorrow fully vaccinated Canadians can go to Wings games

barclayplager

Feb 9, 2014
Branch hockey is certainly soft hockey..every check is examined for head hitting..ipod checked for many minutes to find a foul....cross checks are on the rise...2 min minor and not 5 and 10 and game...so cross check on...Batt fan here and NB fans see same here... hope A Christopolous finds his game there..snakebit here but potential is there..

Reactions: Kenney Mann

TheGremlin

May 23, 2018
Somewhere
It is 1 goal and 1 assist more then Baisov so there is that.

aresknights

Dec 27, 2009
london

I agree depth move.

His MM stats were probly a touch inflated based on the squad he played on if it was the Clarke, Wright, Othman group.
But 12 as a rook in the O is good.
Based on the nightly lineup they needed a F who they could trust to dress.

Last edited:
Reactions: OHLTG

spits

Jul 24, 2013
As I've said, attendance has been suffering for a long time. The pandemic didn't help things. Ticket prices this season just added fuel to the fire. Ownership had a massive opportunity to capitalize on the border being closed. Nobody was crossing to go to Wings or Lions games. Instead of trying to lure people in they drove them further away. And now the opportunity is lost as starting tomorrow fully vaccinated Canadians can go to Wings games
Attendance is literally down throughout the league. It's down in 24 teams in the NBA and 23 in the NHL. Let's all critizie the Spits management for the dip in attendance though. What about Kitchener's dip in attendance or the 19 other teams?

Otto

Lynch Syndrome. Know your families cancer history
Attendance is literally down throughout the league. It's down in 24 teams in the NBA and 23 in the NHL. Let's all critizie the Spits management for the dip in attendance though. What about Kitchener's dip in attendance or the 19 other teams?
Cool story... except my analysis was over a 10 year period from 08/09 to 18/19... and then in 19/20 it was down again. All pre-pandemic. Again comparing 19/20 average attendance to Windsors 10 season average the Spits have the largest differential. Nobody is talking about Kitchener because this is the Windsor thread, but if you're bent on comparing to the Rangers I'll do the comparing post it in the attendance thread i created a few years ago later tonight

member 71782

This move is starting to look more like an older addition that may get a chance to prove himself with the kids post deadline.

Looking at our roster, signed players who could/should return next year I think we are seeing some realization from the organization. This isn't the year and if they want next year to be successful it's time to act.

01s and 02s are all that are likely to be moved out and IMO they should Max out the potential return.

01 D'Amico - likely dealt
01 Henault - likely stays
01 Ladd - likely stays but potential to be dealt

02 Cuylle - likely dealt, should get the biggest return for the team
02 McDonald - likely dealt, having not been drafted will return a conditional pick on top of a good return if he doesn't get signed in the offseason
02 Maggio - unsure if he gets dealt or not, if his production continues his value will likely never be higher and similar to McDonald he would return a conditional pick
02 Medina - have a feeling he could be moved as a cheap back up option, would explain why Tovell is getting the starts, to see if he and Downey can carry the load as the team transitions to Downey as a starter
02 Foudy - if he returns he'll be dealt for a decent return

Package a couple of players together to maximize returns with solid young players together with picks.

02 Renwick - not likely to be dealt, Windsor will still have a young D and they need solid OAs to carry part of the load

02 Ribau - not likely to be dealt, same as Renwick

02 Lecot - won't be dealt, getting a tryout in case Henault or Ladd are dealt and they receive no 03 D back in any deals

02 Tovell - won't be dealt, getting a tryout in case Medina is dealt to split time with Downey

I think they end this year with an 01 waiver pick up at the deadline to replace D'Amico if he's dealt. Someone who can fill in where needed while not blocking the kids.

Adding Christopoulus is what I see them targeting in some deals, 03 reclamation projects that need a change of scenery along with an 04 or two and potentially an 05.

Starting to also think Baisov doesn't return after the break.

Reactions: GermanSpitfire

Cherrydon

Jan 4, 2019
WINDSOR
We have been down the attendance road before. If the Spits were in 1st place solidly it would not greatly increase the attendance. Windsor is land locked on 2 sides by a international border. Can really only draw from Essex County. There are Junior B and C teams in our same small market sucking that attendance as well. The entire County is only 400,000 people. The arena is too big for the market. I am not complaining about the WFCU arena as it is one of the best in the league. The first 2 seasons there 2 things that happened. Lots of folks wanting to just go to a game to check out the new arena and at the same time we had the best teams in the Spits history. Winning the Memorial cup for the first time excited the fringe fans to come and check it out. Now going to a less than half full arena is boring compared to a full house in a smaller venue that is packed. Now, our local TV news stations seldom mentions the Spitfires or their results. Some games are not even reported on in the Star. We have a high ethnic diversity who never heard of the OHL combined with high unemployment in the area. Entertainment dollars are now spent on streaming more than anything. All live events across the board have been slowly suffering for years. It would be interesting if the Spits offered a special 1 time game at $5 per ticket. I bet the numbers would only marginally increase for that game. If I am wrong, that would prove prices are too high.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad