Windsor Spitfires 2021-2022 Season Thread (Part 8)

Status
Not open for further replies.

member 71782

Windsor picks up two big wins on the road in the Soo without giving away any points in OT by winning in regulation.

Overall the team is playing better as a unit but the problems remain. No shutdown D, lack of defensive awareness by the D and the team much of the time and still relying on outscoring their opponents to ensure the win.

Ugly wins count as much as any other wins but eventually your opponents see your weaknesses in those ugly games and they will capitalize.

Right now they need to keep adding up the points to get home ice through to the conference finals while building their confidence and heading into the playoffs on a roll.

aresknights

Dec 27, 2009
london
I just thought the self proclaimed positivity police may acknowledge a poster they have previously poked at for negativity a ton of times and would extend an Olive branch and recognize the other side when it happens :)
Your right thou, that was too much to expect lol.
Thought it may have helped.

On a side note, its a very good run the Spits are on. On fire.

Last edited:

member 71782

Windsor has 8 games to go. It would be nice to clinch the top spot sooner rather than later which would allow them to get some kids more icetime before the playoffs start. Get them some time on special teams, get them used to and prepared for more responsibility and put them in a playoff environment as most teams they play to finish the regular season are all fighting for a playoff spot.

The youngsters won't see much time in the playoffs unless there's an injury but just when you think everything is rolling along something happens.

hockeylegend11

Sep 11, 2010
With the Spits emerging from their impressive weekend 2 game sweep over the Hounds in Sault St Marie extending their league division and conference leads points,as well as now being on a 7 game winning streak going into Thursday's home game vs Sarnia.
Several team and individual achievements to review.
As a team Windsor currently in 1st place,Conference, Division wise,2nd overall in the league,1st in the league goals for wise as well as goals for average per game 1st with 269 goals.
Spits special teams took a bit of hit,they were 4th best re the PP and also 4th PK prior to the weekend now they sit 5th on the PP and 6th on the PK.
Against the Hounds they went 2-12 on the PP (16%) and 10/13-77% on the Pk
Individual wise Spits have 3 forwards in top 16 for scoring points led by Johnston at #1 with 112 points,Maggio with 75 and Cuylle with 73 points.
Spits also have 2 dmen in the top 9 for points Henault tied for 1st with Nathan Staios with 56 points and Perrott in 9th for points with 48
As well Spits also have the 7th best goalie average in Xavier Medina at 3.00 and before you say hey he has played 26 games unlike most others true,except it's on League website and the No1 guy listed has only played 27 games'- Joe Ranger.
All in all impressive list accomplishments so far team and individual so far this season.

Reactions: Section 103

hockeylegend11

Sep 11, 2010
During the 2 games on the weekend against the 14 skaters picked up at least a point of the 20 skaters who played at least one game.
Wyatt Johnston lead the way with 5 points,3G,2A,Will Cuylle 3 points all goals
and Daniel D'amico 3 points all goals too.
Mathew Maggio 2nd leading point man on team went pointless on the weekend as did dman Michael Renwick who leads team in goals from the D.
Others who went pointless were forwards Josh Currie, James Jodoin,Chris O'Flaherty, and dman Bronson Ride.
Only Currie played both games.
Forward Aaval Baisov was the only player who did not play on the weekend.
Medina allowed 3 goals in his 1 appearance and win for a 3.00 average, while Onuska also played 1 game for an average of 4.00,though the team did play better defense wise in front of Medina,then game 2 in front of Onuska.

DetSpitsFan

Nov 20, 2016
Interesting to see names like Staios, Morgan and Frasca constantly popping up. If a couple years ago you would've told me Staios would be tied for the most points by a defensemen, Frasca would be 8th in scoring and Morgan would be a point a game player.. and none of them would be with the Spits, I would never have guessed the Spits would be sitting first in the conference.

I find it interesting to look back on trades and re-evaluate them, these still need a bit of time to fully reevaluate.

Staios to Bulldogs for 2020 2nd Round, 2021 2nd Round, 2022 Second Round, 2023 3rd*, 2024 4th*
Frasca to Frontenacs for 2022 6th Round
Morgan to Firebirds for 2020 2nd (DeAngelis was the Pick), 2021 4th (He went to London for a 2022 3rd, 2023 6th, 2024 10th)

I like the value for Staios, although Windsor moved both of the 20/21 2nd round picks. The fact that 5th round drafted Henault is right up there with him in points being 01's I think is impressive.

Looking at the 2020 Draft again, it does appear to be a good one as the selections were Abraham, DeAngelis, Downey, and Pitre. While space here was limited, I imagine Pitre's worth a bit more than a 6th and 13th after his play in Flint this season.

hockeylegend11

Sep 11, 2010
Agree with everything that u have written about,though I will say based on my observations at training camp and blue white games Pitre did not show much of what he has accomplished so far this season,he was okay and getting better each day,thought at the time they might try and sign him,he wasn't outstanding though his last outing did make me think of things.
If he was great from the beginning I would love to have Windsor sign him.
Hindsight always 20/20.

hockeylegend11

Sep 11, 2010
With the Spits entering Thursday 's home game vs Sarnia on a 7 game winning streak, let's review some of the results statistically.
OA forward Daniel D'amico on fire scored 11 times in these 7 games,adding 2 assists giving him 13 points,which wasn't the best ,as Wyatt Johnston led the way with 16 points(9G,7A), Mathew Maggio 14 points (7G7A),and Will Cuylle tied with D'amico with 13 points(6G,7A)
Louka Henault led the Dmen in points with 8 in 7(8A),while Ryan Abraham also had 8 points upfront(1G,7A),Center Jacques Maillet contributed 7 points (2A,5A) to round out the guys who have averaged a point or more during these 7 games.Should mention dman Michael Renwick had 3G,3A and forwards Ethan Miedema 0G,6A,and Alex Christopoulos who lined up with Johnston and Cuylle for the last 5 games with Zito out for 4 of them,contributed 5 points (3G,2A).
Power play struggled throughout going only 6-35 for a 17.8% but the PK was excellent overall going 24-27 for an 88.9% although all 3 goals were scored on the weekend.
Spits have scored 44 goals during this 7 game stretch but have allowed 33 of them with current #1 goalie Onuska allowing 30 of them in 6 starts.
While he is 6-0 during the streak ,one of those 6 saved by Medina,having a 5.50 plus closer to 5.80 and a save percentage under .840 is a problem that needs rectification now.
Medina returned to action under apparent welcoming arms by his teammates, played 1-1/2 games approximately won 1 game and saved another,goals against average around 2.05 and save percentage of 885.,more importantly put himself back in contention for the No 1 spot.
The team in front of him played better then they did for Onuska despite the small current sample which I see increasing moving forward.

FireBall959

Apr 11, 2015
What was Medina's save percentage in his return start? Why don't you post that. If a .840 concerns you why doesn't Medina's. 833? 🍒🍒🍒🍒🍒🍒🍒🍒🍒🍒🍒🍒

hockeylegend11

Sep 11, 2010
What was Medina's save percentage in his return start? Why don't you post that. If a .840 concerns you why doesn't Medina's. 833? 🍒🍒🍒🍒🍒🍒🍒🍒🍒🍒🍒🍒

One because his previous game was 1000,2 Onuska 8 straight games under 900,his average is around 840 or less in his last 7 or 8, goals against more importantly 5.75 or higher,Medina 2.06 last 2 games after 3 weeks off,just pointing out a major concern regarding Onuska but nice try

Section 103

May 25, 2016
Looks like Nolan Dann will not be playing against us on Thursday. As per Sting Page, he received a two game suspension for a hit he threw on Sunday, I believe he is the Teams 3rd highest scorer and has one of the highest number of shots on the team.
As it seems we often play down to the skill level of the team we are facing, every little bit of an edge helps. Go Spits go!
I have not attempted to verify this on the OHL page yet.

Reactions: hockeylegend11

hockeylegend11

Sep 11, 2010
Why did u cherry pick 1 game when I did Onuska's last 7 or 8.?
Plus when a goalie allows 3 goals with 833 save percentage its alot better then 4 goals and 852 .

FireBall959

Apr 11, 2015
Why did u cherry pick 1 game when I did Onuska's last 7 or 8.?
Plus when a goalie allows 3 goals with 833 save percentage its alot better then 4 goals and 852 .
For goalie stat how is that better? Team stat I agree sorry not goalie stat. Last six starts for both. Onuska 6-0 Medina 4-2. While Medina looked decent everyone but you will admit he wasn't really tested. Onuska had a much more difficult game on sunday than Medina. You like to paint this picture that Medina is the clear cut guy but fact is both are hot cold (Medina's last 8-9 starts) but hard to ignore Onuska is 15-3. See I can cherry pick stats all day too. 🍒🍒🍒🍒🍒

Reactions: Earlofpoundcake

hockeylegend11

Sep 11, 2010
The last 8 games with Onuska in goal Windsor is winning not because of Onuska's great goals against average and save percentage ,which it isn't both are going up and down but in spite of it and for playoffs not substainable.
Yes 15-3 is impressive and if his personal numbers were great I would be the 1st to say so but they are not,and those numbers are getting worse not better and that's a concern.

hockeylegend11

Sep 11, 2010
I will take a goalie with a 3.00 goals against average and a save percentage of .891 over a goalie with an average of 3.67 and save percentage of .870 and with the 2nd goalie allowing more 4 or more goals in 7 of his last appearances and hasn't hit .900 in save percentage 8 straight games.
Especially when I seen both goalies play in person over the season not just by numbers.

hockeylegend11

Sep 11, 2010
Speaking of goalies who gets the start Thursday vs Sarnia.
Medina or Onuska.
Myself I would start Medina,he hasn't lost at home in regulation since opening nite,and while Onuska is riding a nice streak at home lately 9-0 I believe, though Medina and team bailed him out of last home game just past midway mark after he allowed 5 goals vs Saginaw.
Another reason would be the next night Spits are at Kitchener, Onuska is from Waterloo pretty much home ,let him start there.
For Saturday at Owen Sd,to be determined imo.

Teflon

Jan 6, 2018
You guys and the goalie debate!!! Ugh! An unbiased eye says both goalies about equal, if we forget about the Medina meltdown. Thats not a bad thing. Id ride them back and forth unless one goes lights out hot, then he might get the nod until a return to normal. This debate is nauseating frankly. One is NOT better than the other on talent alone. Use whatever means you want to justify either one but im not buying. Honestly if both keep their heads i think this puts the spits in a decent spot. Most teams dont have 2 ok goalies! How about we support both equally?!?!

TheGremlin

May 23, 2018
Somewhere
The last 8 games with Onuska in goal Windsor is winning not because of Onuska's great goals against average and save percentage ,which it isn't both are going up and down but in spite of it and for playoffs not substainable.
Yes 15-3 is impressive and if his personal numbers were great I would be the 1st to say so but they are not,and those numbers are getting worse not better and that's a concern.
All I’m going to say on this for now is that Medinas numbers are better but in my opinion Onuska makes bigger saves at the more opportune times. The team also seems to maybe play more wide open with Onuska but really i’ve only had 1 game to compare that to this month.

OHLTG

Nov 18, 2008
behind lens, Ontario
Let's be fair - both goaltenders have their ups and downs. Medina's been much improved since December, as a whole, while Onuska has been much improved since February, as a whole. Will they have sketchy games? Definitely. Have they had solid-to-great stretches? Definitely. As long as the goaltender-of-the-day makes the saves and gives his team a chance, I don't care who's in goal. They've both proven themselves to be capable when the chips are down.

FireBall959

Apr 11, 2015
seems all but one of us agree on the boards that are goaltenders are fairly equal with ups and downs between both. As long as the long ranger keeps posting bs stats implying one is great and one is not I'll keep calling him on it. Better or not I know one left for a month and team got red hot, showing doesn't matter who is i net.

hockeylegend11

Sep 11, 2010
seems all but one of us agree on the boards that are goaltenders are fairly equal with ups and downs between both. As long as the long ranger keeps posting bs stats implying one is great and one is not I'll keep calling him on it. Better or not I know one left for a month and team got red hot, showing doesn't matter who is i net.
I am happy to be the lone ranger regarding the goaltending
Afterall I have been the lone ranger pretty much the whole season.
Case in point ,I said at the start of the season after viewing camp that this team will score alot of goals.
Well many questioned it at the beginning and where are we at today.
#1 in the conference and in the league
Case in point #2 after the trade deadline I said Windsor would be a contender in the conference and league
Again slammed by many especially the negatrons and where are we at as I write this.
1st in division,conference and 2nd in the league overall,rest my case.
Now we come to the goalie situation.
I thought Medina was treated unfairly he is back and seemly so by the players.
Since the trade deadline he is 8-3-0-1 plus a save in one of Onuska's last games,in 13 appearances he has allowed 4 or more 4 times,3 or less goals 9 times
Save percentage 900 or better 9 times
Onuska in his last 13 is 11-1-1 ,with 1 win saved by Medina,he has allowed 4 or goals 9 times, 3 or less 4 times,and a save per centage over 900 just 4 times and 3 times in his last 12 games.
Goals against averages and save percentages are not even close
Medina currently 3.00 average and a save percentage of 891
Onuska currently 3.67 and .870 and climbing.
Me put the 7th best goalie average wise in before someone who numbers are climbing, because I guarantee u if numbers were reverse there would be clamoring for change.
Bottom line happy to be lone ranger especially this season

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad