Windsor Spitfires 2020 Offseason Thread (Part 3)

Status
Not open for further replies.

TheGremlin

May 23, 2018
Somewhere
My guess...

Cuylle, Foudy, and Rafkin all get drafted somewhere, starting in the late second round.

Out of Medina, Robinson, and McDonald, I can maybe see Medina getting drafted in the sixth or seventh. He showed solid improvement as the season went on and his poise can't be overlooked. Robinson and McDonald need a big 2020-21.

D'Amico is that sparkplug but I'd imagine he'll be a camp invite somewhere, rather than being drafted.

Douglas/Henault could both be late-round picks. There's plenty of upside with both, esp Douglas. Guys with that size and scoring ability don't grow on trees (they ARE trees lol).
Maybe i’m the only one but i don’t see what some do in Henault. It seemed like he was on the ice for a lot of odd man rushes.

member 71782

Bigger issue is how much are the players being hurt by the lack of proper coaching and the other intangibles that go along with it??

Cuylle and Foudy are the perfect examples of this. Thought to be sure fire first round picks who likely drop to mid/late second or possibly third.

McDonald and Robinson were ranked but no longer ranked is another example.

If it continues then recruiting becomes a problem and a cycle of mediocrity sets in.

It hurts the players and eventually the entire organization.

OHLTG

Nov 18, 2008
behind lens, Ontario
CHL TOP 10 for preseason came out today and Spitfires get HM. Means little but it's kind of fun to look at. Osh, Ldn, Sag, and SSM also in the mix.

RayzorIsDull

Nov 16, 2007
bp on hfboards
Maybe i’m the only one but i don’t see what some do in Henault. It seemed like he was on the ice for a lot of odd man rushes.

If Corcoran doesn't return I can see them relying on Henault too much. They will need him for his offense because they don't have a lot of punch back there.

member 71782

CHL TOP 10 for preseason came out today and Spitfires get HM. Means little but it's kind of fun to look at. Osh, Ldn, Sag, and SSM also in the mix.

We've seen this movie before and most times it doesn't end well for the Spits.

Until we see what this team looks like to start the year it means nothing and even if they play well leading up to the deadline what's Bowler going to fo? He has a few picks but not overflowing, he can't get higher end kids to report so far and he doesn't have a lot of valuable depth to deal.

While he can make some moves that would address the picks it doesn't improve the roster unless he moves those picks plus right back out the door.

If there is a season I'll bet it's a lot like last season, some good stretches, some very poor stretches, sit on his hands at the deadline because he likes his roster, plus doesn't have the assets to make the team a true contender and will have the ready made excuse of not wanting to move kids in or out because of what's going on.

The only potential move I see is an OA moving on. Doubtful but a possibility depending on how things play out.

Minus Boka, Purboo and Stevenson, replaced by the three kids signed from this past draft we might see one or two additions just to fill out a 20 man roster once Corcoran, Playfair and Rupoli is settled. A cheap ownership group will be looking to cutback wherever possible this year.

5th or 6th once again this year barring some major change in philosophy behind the bench and in the front office. Any surprise trade requests or players not returning and things will be really unpredictable, but not in a good way.

Reactions: RayzorIsDull

windsor7

Nov 29, 2015

Until we see what this team looks like to start the year it means nothing and even if they play well leading up to the deadline what's Bowler going to fo? He has a few picks but not overflowing, he can't get higher end kids to report so far and he doesn't have a lot of valuable depth to deal.

While he can make some moves that would address the picks it doesn't improve the roster unless he moves those picks plus right back out the door.

If there is a season I'll bet it's a lot like last season, some good stretches, some very poor stretches, sit on his hands at the deadline because he likes his roster, plus doesn't have the assets to make the team a true contender and will have the ready made excuse of not wanting to move kids in or out because of what's going on.

The only potential move I see is an OA moving on. Doubtful but a possibility depending on how things play out.

Minus Boka, Purboo and Stevenson, replaced by the three kids signed from this past draft we might see one or two additions just to fill out a 20 man roster once Corcoran, Playfair and Rupoli is settled. A cheap ownership group will be looking to cutback wherever possible this year.

5th or 6th once again this year barring some major change in philosophy behind the bench and in the front office. Any surprise trade requests or players not returning and things will be really unpredictable, but not in a good way.

Absolutely

ohloutsider

Jan 13, 2016
Rock & Hardplace
Grading him on his D skills would probably be a failing grade. His offensive skills and willingness to move the puck up is somewhat better. Most of us tend to score higher on the D side of the game. NHL clubs like the willingness to move up with the puck ( the offensive side of the game) . NHL clubs don't look so much at what their skill is now but what they believe their skill will be when they are ready for the next level. If they see potential on the offensive side it may perk some interest. Do I think he gets drafted no, but you never know what teams are looking for in the later rounds. First and second round picks are easy to figure out, it is what teams do in the final 5 rounds that can surprise.

Douglas will likely not be drafted this go round but a productive OA season may very well see him signed by spring. With his size around the net he could put up some big numbers against younger players.

I had posted on Brock's thread last spring and he agreed that there is a good chance that Cuylle gets drafted before Foudy. He really changed his style of playing this year and that style of power forward still draws interest.

Reactions: TheGremlin

spitz fan 4ever

May 13, 2012
Pre-Season Kia CHL Top-10 Rankings:
1. Sherbrooke Phoenix
2. Edmonton Oil Kings
3. Oshawa Generals
4. Val-d’Or Foreurs
5. London Knights
6. Kamloops Blazers
7. Saginaw Spirit
8. Saint John Sea Dogs
9. Portland Winterhawks
10. Chicoutimi Sagueneens
Honourable Mention:
Brandon Wheat Kings
Prince Albert Raiders
Shawinigan Cataractes
Soo Greyhounds
Windsor Spitfires

TheGremlin

May 23, 2018
Somewhere
Grading him on his D skills would probably be a failing grade. His offensive skills and willingness to move the puck up is somewhat better. Most of us tend to score higher on the D side of the game. NHL clubs like the willingness to move up with the puck ( the offensive side of the game) . NHL clubs don't look so much at what their skill is now but what they believe their skill will be when they are ready for the next level. If they see potential on the offensive side it may perk some interest. Do I think he gets drafted no, but you never know what teams are looking for in the later rounds. First and second round picks are easy to figure out, it is what teams do in the final 5 rounds that can surprise.

Douglas will likely not be drafted this go round but a productive OA season may very well see him signed by spring. With his size around the net he could put up some big numbers against younger players.

I had posted on Brock's thread last spring and he agreed that there is a good chance that Cuylle gets drafted before Foudy. He really changed his style of playing this year and that style of power forward still draws interest.
I agree with teams looking toward puck moving dman and will say some of those guys are very exciting to watch. Its just with Henault it seems the D part hasn’t improved. The offence is nice but if you give up a lot of odd man rushes it kinda cancels out the offence. Now maybe (probably) that is because of the coaching (except goaltending coach) like Teflon has said. A lot of these players just never seemed to progress like they maybe should have.

ohloutsider

Jan 13, 2016
Rock & Hardplace
I agree with teams looking toward puck moving dman and will say some of those guys are very exciting to watch. Its just with Henault it seems the D part hasn’t improved. The offence is nice but if you give up a lot of odd man rushes it kinda cancels out the offence. Now maybe (probably) that is because of the coaching (except goaltending coach) like Teflon has said. A lot of these players just never seemed to progress like they maybe should have.
I agree as well with the Teflon comment I just see some NHL teams being able to see beyond that and believe if they get a chance with these kids they can make them better. It is all about potential in their eyes. Sometimes it has a lot to do with attitude and willingness to learn and change. Cuylle took a risk and changed up his game in his draft year because he wants to be what the NHL teams want from him. That adds to his potential for some teams, willingness to adapt. Does not mean Henault will get drafted but he is trying to focus on what the scouts are telling him, offensive skills and puck rushing D are what they are looking for. Ladd needs to try this more as well.

Saggy

Apr 24, 2019
Pre-Season Kia CHL Top-10 Rankings:
1. Sherbrooke Phoenix
2. Edmonton Oil Kings
3. Oshawa Generals
4. Val-d’Or Foreurs
5. London Knights
6. Kamloops Blazers
7. Saginaw Spirit
8. Saint John Sea Dogs
9. Portland Winterhawks
10. Chicoutimi Sagueneens
Honourable Mention:
Brandon Wheat Kings
Prince Albert Raiders
Shawinigan Cataractes
Soo Greyhounds
Windsor Spitfires

Is it just me or does anyone else feel that Oshawa isn't a Top 10? I think they are good but really thought HM would be a best case scenario. Sorry Windsor but due to your Coaching I dont really see you guys there either.

Please ..... someone convince me otherwise :)

Reactions: NOA

RayzorIsDull

Nov 16, 2007
bp on hfboards

This is a pretty good evaluation. Bowler really handcuffed himself for the present and future during the deadline all the while hiding behind a disguise of "team culture." It wasn't the group that got lapped by Saginaw and Flint it was just those two teams being real good, right Bill?? D still might be a huge question, also they will need to get capable backup goaltending for 20 games or so.

Reactions: KyGuy9 and stips

Generalsupdates

@GeneralsUpdates on Twitter
Sep 4, 2017
Is it just me or does anyone else feel that Oshawa isn't a Top 10? I think they are good but really thought HM would be a best case scenario. Sorry Windsor but due to your Coaching I dont really see you guys there either.

Please ..... someone convince me otherwise :)

If Tomasino comes back they have one of the top rosters. And if Tomasino doesn't come back they'll spend a lot of their young players/picks to go all in. They'll have a very veteran team and that's usually what wins in the OHL (along with NHL draft picks which they'll have Tomasino, Suni, Tullio, Fowler Vallati, Moore, Kooy and that's even before they add once the season starts/at the deadline)

The team I was surprised to see on there was London at 5. This seems like a retooling London team where they trade their older guys and then are ready to win next year or the year after, but without a lot of additions, I don't see this LDN team being in the race.

London's D as of now going into next season: Skinner, Steklov, Keane, Montgomery, Mailloux, Edward, George. That is a veryyyy young D-core with really only Skinner being a sure thing.

And for their F group, McMichael is obviously a stud and Evangelista is pretty sure to get 80+ points but after that? Stranges, McGurn, McCue and Rolofs are the only returning forwards. That's a top 5 team in the country?

Oshawa/Mississauga and Saginaw/Windsor would be the top 2 in each conference going into the season for me.

OHLTG

Nov 18, 2008
behind lens, Ontario
. Sorry Windsor but due to your Coaching I dont really see you guys there either.

Please ..... someone convince me otherwise

It's not wrong. Letowski has a lot to prove from a consistency and durability standpoint. He did well in the first half, but fell off the cliff in January. Combine that with large pressure from the Flint 15gm winning streak and it was ugly.

windsor7

Nov 29, 2015
It's not wrong. Letowski has a lot to prove from a consistency and durability standpoint. He did well in the first half, but fell off the cliff in January. Combine that with large pressure from the Flint 15gm winning streak and it was ugly.

Has been ugly his coaching time here.
Hasnt learned

Saggy

Apr 24, 2019
If Tomasino comes back they have one of the top rosters. And if Tomasino doesn't come back they'll spend a lot of their young players/picks to go all in. They'll have a very veteran team and that's usually what wins in the OHL (along with NHL draft picks which they'll have Tomasino, Suni, Tullio, Fowler Vallati, Moore, Kooy and that's even before they add once the season starts/at the deadline)

The team I was surprised to see on there was London at 5. This seems like a retooling London team where they trade their older guys and then are ready to win next year or the year after, but without a lot of additions, I don't see this LDN team being in the race.

London's D as of now going into next season: Skinner, Steklov, Keane, Montgomery, Mailloux, Edward, George. That is a veryyyy young D-core with really only Skinner being a sure thing.

And for their F group, McMichael is obviously a stud and Evangelista is pretty sure to get 80+ points but after that? Stranges, McGurn, McCue and Rolofs are the only returning forwards. That's a top 5 team in the country?

Oshawa/Mississauga and Saginaw/Windsor would be the top 2 in each conference going into the season for me.

London was a big surprise....totally agree

Cherrydon

Jan 4, 2019
WINDSOR
Disappointing article by Pyette last night.Ontario sport minister Lisa McLeod told TSN this week that the OHL might need to adopt minor hockey contact rules if puck drop is allowed Dec 1 stating that no bodychecking, fighting or any physical contact may be implemented. I understand the fighting aspect but no checking? I dread the thought. If fighting is banned for this Covid return to play, you and I both know it's likely never returning again after the pandemic.
Branch also stated that they need financial help from the Ontario government but hasn't given a number to them yet. He stated there is little interest uprooting the 3 American teams and no discussion of starting without them. Branch said "We're 20 strong"

windsor7

Nov 29, 2015
Disappointing article by Pyette last night.Ontario sport minister Lisa McLeod told TSN this week that the OHL might need to adopt minor hockey contact rules if puck drop is allowed Dec 1 stating that no bodychecking, fighting or any physical contact may be implemented. I understand the fighting aspect but no checking? I dread the thought. If fighting is banned for this Covid return to play, you and I both know it's likely never returning again after the pandemic.
Branch also stated that they need financial help from the Ontario government but hasn't given a number to them yet. He stated there is little interest uprooting the 3 American teams and no discussion of starting without them. Branch said "We're 20 strong"

No hitting would be very strange to see in hockey.
However Windsor doesn't rarely throws a check anyways so wouldn't interrupt their hockey plays.

Teflon

Jan 6, 2018
Minor rules would kill the OHL mark my words!! I don’t see how you run without the American teams. I believe all OA’s are back. BB won’t be allowed to do a damn thing, again. Somehow I feel the restrictions will ease significantly by year end, just my gut talking. I’m getting zero input from any of my sources, seems everyone has their feet up right now. Nothing going on is all I’m getting.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad