Windsor Spitfires 2020 Offseason Thread (Part 2)

Status
Not open for further replies.

OHLTG

Nov 18, 2008
behind lens, Ontario
If I had to choose between Playfair and Rupoli, I'd go with Rupoli. While Douglas gives plenty of size, having a deterrent around Medina/?? isn't a bad thing. We've been wanting/needing a crease-clearer for some time and I think Rupoli showed a bit of that as the season went on (after some initial cautious play). I like Playfair but his production is fourth-line and he's not at the same PK/blocked shot level as Boka was. Can't justify an OA spot.

All of that being said, ideally I'd go with Douglas, Angle, and Corcoran (if available). That's as productive of an OA trio as we've seen in years.

Reactions: ohloutsider

punch1943

Apr 15, 2012
South Detroit
Given the choice it’s not hard to pick Douglas, Angle & Corcoran as the O/A as they have a shot at a job with an NHL team or farm team and at this late stage it would appear Playfair & Rupoli will be at camp looking for a spot on the team or another team in the CHL. If they had education on their minds they’d be long gone by now. My guess is the 4/5 of them will be at camp. You never know when an injury will pop up or a job opening might come along elsewhere.
It is sounding like it will be a small camp size wise with few exhibition games and you have to think you won’t see any flyers invited unless they are locked up.

RayzorIsDull

Nov 16, 2007
bp on hfboards
Given the choice it’s not hard to pick Douglas, Angle & Corcoran as the O/A as they have a shot at a job with an NHL team or farm team and at this late stage it would appear Playfair & Rupoli will be at camp looking for a spot on the team or another team in the CHL. If they had education on their minds they’d be long gone by now. My guess is the 4/5 of them will be at camp. You never know when an injury will pop up or a job opening might come along elsewhere.
It is sounding like it will be a small camp size wise with few exhibition games and you have to think you won’t see any flyers invited unless they are locked up.

The biggest issue I see is that "going under the assumption a 64 game season is played" you're going to have to have a lot of depth. That means the Spits will need to have a lot of guys signed. These guys will have gone 8 months without playing a hockey game and asking them to play 64 games in 5 months is a huge ask. I can see a lot of teams getting banged up, not even considering any covid cases. The days of the Spits being ok with dressing 17 or 16 guys for stretches of time need to end.

Reactions: Sec108

windsor7

Nov 29, 2015
Douglas and angle OAs n a tbd OA on the team.
However come trade deadline both angle n Douglas should be really really considered n should be moved this year.
Bowler cant sit on his hands again.

member 71782

OAs?

I see Corcoran likely gone.

Angle and Douglas should be back.

Playfair and Rupoli will both be back, rotate in and out to fill needs.

They can carry 4 OAs up until the OA trade deadline which gives them the option to move on from one/both of Angle and Douglas if the season isn't going to see them at the top or move on from one/both of Playfair and Rupoli depending on level of individual play and opportunities for upgrades.

On the slim chance Corcoran returns I suspect they carry all 5 to start the year, see how they come out of the gate. A good start and one of Playfair or Rupoli will be gone by the OA cutdown date. If they start off rough but Angle, Douglas and Corcoran have good starts they start moving those 3 out while keeping Rupoli and Playfair for the year for a "veteran presence".

Reactions: OHLTG

OHLTG

Nov 18, 2008
behind lens, Ontario
I have a tough time seeing them carry both Rupoli and Playfair. In theory, Playfair could have a strong start and be dealt for a pick, but there's no evidence to support it. Almost easier to cut bait when possible.

windsor7

Nov 29, 2015
I have a tough time seeing them carry both Rupoli and Playfair. In theory, Playfair could have a strong start and be dealt for a pick, but there's no evidence to support it. Almost easier to cut bait when possible.

Should of cut bait last year.

ohloutsider

Jan 13, 2016
Rock & Hardplace
Playfair and Rupoli not signing on to any school hockey programs looks like they may try it one more year but 1 or the other may have decided to walk away from hockey and just attend school and focus on their education. Those are never announced by the schools.
If they are trying to stick they would have to know the odds are against them and neither would garnish a high round pick in a trade. Just finding a team for them would be tough. Playfair has struggled with the injury bug so choosing education would be a smart move for him, nice kid and I hope he succeeds either way.

The trade deadline was announced as Feb 10th. That would mean the OA trade deadline is Feb 9th. That is after second semester has started for most higher education programs. That is not a good look cutting them free without an option of education until the following September. You would hope that OA's across the league have thought this through and are choosing the route that is best for their future.

member 71782

The smart thing would be to move on from both of them but with their new loyalty program, neither of them apparently going to school this year in a playing capacity and the uncertainty of what's going to happen this year not to mention an aversion to making deals unless they have no other options I can see them both being here to start the year if there is one. What happens with the other 3 OAs will determine their fate and until the dust has settled I can see both being on the roster when the season starts.

Cheap OA options if needed.

Known to the organization.

Likely limited camp size which will favour the vets.

Healthy scratches to fill out a full roster who have the experience to step in if needed.

If all of Angle, Douglas and Corcoran come back and the team gets off to a strong start and look like they can make some noise then they will both be gone but if there's any doubts as to how the team will fair then moving OAs that will bring back a solid return and keeping a couple of OAs that shouldn't interfere with developing the young kids that are here makes some sense. If they moved any of the other OAs they won't have to take someone else's OA back allowing them to maximize any return they get. Why take another team's castoff if you have your own?

Playfair has worn an A the last couple of seasons and so far that seems to carry some weight with this group. Playfair has spent his whole time with this team, that carries weight with this group. Rupoli gives them flexibility, that carries weight with this group. Beyond not being high end both are competent in limited roles, that carries weight with this group since they won't have to spend any extra to sign a younger player to develop.

There's too much from the last two seasons that says playing it safe and keeping the players you know over those you don't is the way they'll go.

The smart move would have been to move on from Corcoran, Angle and Douglas last year, maximize the return then cut bait from Playfair and potentially Rupoli after the season while looking to bring in cheap OAs this year if there was a need for to. There's been OAs waived that would have been an improvement on Playfair and Rupoli.

Unless they're all in this year Angle, Douglas and Corcoran if returned have to be moved. Loyalty to players is great but at the cost of team success now or in the future does nothing for future recruitment of players who want to win and not spend 4/5 years in a mediocre system.

Reactions: RayzorIsDull

punch1943

Apr 15, 2012
South Detroit
Not familiar with the the intricacies of the education packages so this is a guess. If any of these 5 put in enough games in their O/A season (my guess is 10) they probably qualify for an extra year of paid education. If that’s the case they show at camp and if worse comes to worse they get cut and start their education a little later. If they are traded or claimed on waivers perhaps 2 teams pick up the education tab...Not sure how it goes if they are traded. Does the educational commitment go from the trading team to the traded to team or is that on an individual basis..

HockeyPops

Aug 20, 2018
I think they can only carry 4 OA until part way through the season (but only dress 3) . After that point it's max 3 and if a team trades for a fourth they will find a place for their extra OA to play (quite unusual to cut one that late).

Reactions: punch1943

windsor7

Nov 29, 2015
The smart thing would be to move on from both of them but with their new loyalty program, neither of them apparently going to school this year in a playing capacity and the uncertainty of what's going to happen this year not to mention an aversion to making deals unless they have no other options I can see them both being here to start the year if there is one. What happens with the other 3 OAs will determine their fate and until the dust has settled I can see both being on the roster when the season starts.

Healthy scratches to fill out a full roster who have the experience to step in if needed.

If all of Angle, Douglas and Corcoran come back and the team gets off to a strong start and look like they can make some noise then they will both be gone but if there's any doubts as to how the team will fair then moving OAs that will bring back a solid return and keeping a couple of OAs that shouldn't interfere with developing the young kids that are here makes some sense. If they moved any of the other OAs they won't have to take someone else's OA back allowing them to maximize any return they get. Why take another team's castoff if you have your own?

Playfair has worn an A the last couple of seasons and so far that seems to carry some weight with this group. Playfair has spent his whole time with this team, that carries weight with this group. Rupoli gives them flexibility, that carries weight with this group. Beyond not being high end both are competent in limited roles, that carries weight with this group since they won't have to spend any extra to sign a younger player to develop.

There's too much from the last two seasons that says playing it safe and keeping the players you know over those you don't is the way they'll go.

The smart move would have been to move on from Corcoran, Angle and Douglas last year, maximize the return then cut bait from Playfair and potentially Rupoli after the season while looking to bring in cheap OAs this year if there was a need for to. There's been OAs waived that would have been an improvement on Playfair and Rupoli.

Unless they're all in this year Angle, Douglas and Corcoran if returned have to be moved. Loyalty to players is great but at the cost of team success now or in the future does nothing for future recruitment of players who want to win and not spend 4/5 years in a mediocre system.

Very well said.

member 71782

I think they can only carry 4 OA until part way through the season (but only dress 3) . After that point it's max 3 and if a team trades for a fourth they will find a place for their extra OA to play (quite unusual to cut one that late).

In a normal season they could carry as many as they want until a date in November at which point they had to cut down to 4. At the OA trade deadline they had to cut back to 3.

Correct they can only dress 3 at any time.

It wouldn't make sense to carry more than 4 to start the year unless they're expecting the season to go a certain way and deals are already being discussed to move one or more of their OAs throughout the year.

If Corcoran isn't expected back but does return they could have a deal in place for him already. No one will move assets, even conditionally right now for a player not expected back.

How will NHL/AHL camps be handled if they don't start until after the OHL season does? There's the risk of Corcoran, Angle and a ling shot Douglas not returning leaving Windsor having to move assets to replace any of them that don't return.

Like everything, particularly this year it's all speculation but if Windsor is at risk of losing Corcoran (likely), Angle ( probably not) or Douglas (doubtful) then keeping both Rupoli and Playfair fits with their approach, especially if better options are being waived through the league.

They have time to make a decision and they'll wait as long as they can.

Reactions: ohloutsider

ohloutsider

Jan 13, 2016
Rock & Hardplace
Not familiar with the the intricacies of the education packages so this is a guess. If any of these 5 put in enough games in their O/A season (my guess is 10) they probably qualify for an extra year of paid education. If that’s the case they show at camp and if worse comes to worse they get cut and start their education a little later. If they are traded or claimed on waivers perhaps 2 teams pick up the education tab...Not sure how it goes if they are traded. Does the educational commitment go from the trading team to the traded to team or is that on an individual basis..
I believe they are only entitled to 4 years on the education front not 5. OA's sign a new contract at the start of the year and that normally does not include a 5th year of education. Again the league hides these things from fans so only going by what I've picked up from past comments from other posters.

ohloutsider

Jan 13, 2016
Rock & Hardplace
In a normal season they could carry as many as they want until a date in November at which point they had to cut down to 4. At the OA trade deadline they had to cut back to 3.

Correct they can only dress 3 at any time.

It wouldn't make sense to carry more than 4 to start the year unless they're expecting the season to go a certain way and deals are already being discussed to move one or more of their OAs throughout the year.

If Corcoran isn't expected back but does return they could have a deal in place for him already. No one will move assets, even conditionally right now for a player not expected back.

How will NHL/AHL camps be handled if they don't start until after the OHL season does? There's the risk of Corcoran, Angle and a ling shot Douglas not returning leaving Windsor having to move assets to replace any of them that don't return.

Like everything, particularly this year it's all speculation but if Windsor is at risk of losing Corcoran (likely), Angle ( probably not) or Douglas (doubtful) then keeping both Rupoli and Playfair fits with their approach, especially if better options are being waived through the league.

They have time to make a decision and they'll wait as long as they can.
Agree with most of this but we have seen already teams are making deals with "conditions" that are based on having a season or part of one. There is no harm in making a conditional deal and would be surprised if you see any deals across the league that did not have a "condition of playing" attached to it.

OHLTG

Nov 18, 2008
behind lens, Ontario
That's the tricky part with all of the seasons starting at different times; tough to gauge who could go where (outside the OHL). Caufield is rumoured to be going to Europe since NCAA isn't starting on time and the Swedish club has just started theirs.

EnjoytheO

Keeping up
Aug 11, 2017
GTA
I believe they are only entitled to 4 years on the education front not 5. OA's sign a new contract at the start of the year and that normally does not include a 5th year of education. Again the league hides these things from fans so only going by what I've picked up from past comments from other posters.
The package stays the same @ 4 years, however, while with the team they can take as many courses as they’d like at the cost of the team while not touching their education package. So it would be beneficial to players to start the year, no matter what, and enroll in some free courses.

Reactions: punch1943 and OHLTG

OHL Fan

Mar 5, 2020
I believe the usual OA cut down date to 3 OAs was mid November. With delayed season, I dont know if they even have a cut down date for OAs.

RayzorIsDull

Nov 16, 2007
bp on hfboards

Agreed the smart thing would have been to leverage the value of those guys at the deadline last year. I know they're about loyalty and that can be an admirable trait. Loyalty is usually reserved for those that have actually achieved many accolades. These guys have achieved personal accolades and that's great for Angle/Douglas/Corcoran(getting drafted) but it hasn't amounted to team success, division titles or playoff victories. Loyalty only goes so far when it ends up hurting you in the long run.

punch1943

Apr 15, 2012
South Detroit
I see OHL insiders are teasing about a trade going down today...Wonder who’s going to London this time?
London trades
Panwar to Flint for a 4th.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad