Windsor Spitfires 2018-19 Thread (Part 9)

Status
Not open for further replies.

RayzorIsDull

Nov 16, 2007
bp on hfboards
If WR let someone else run the Minor Midget and Import draft this team would do much better. WR is an asset in trading but when it comes down to it his draft selections are not very good compared to many other GM who have over 5 yrs experience
WR is a good communicator and extremely loyal. He needs to take a look at his scouting dept. Besides the fact many are buddies, he still should have competent scouts but he does hire scouts who can make a positive difference
The problems begin with the person who decides on player selection on draft day and it is on WR

This is a good post. If we are to look at each individual draft on it's own merit and just their own picks. 18 looks promising with Foudy/MacDonald, 17 looks fine Henault has progressed, D'Amico has been good but has really hit the skids lately and Frasca started out well this year but has now found himself on a line with Campbell/Garagan which hasn't helped him. I am sure there will be a difference of opinion on 16 Angle has really progressed. Playfair has been injured some this year but this is his 3rd year and the overall body of work hasn't been great. Corcoran seems to be a victim of not enough talent on D being forced to play a lot of minutes and face bad matchups. That doesn't make his poor D play acceptable by any means but they haven't built up the D well enough and he has to take the brunt of the damage.

Buttsy

Jul 28, 2015
London
Corcoran seems to be a victim of not enough talent on D being forced to play a lot of minutes and face bad matchups.

You raise a good point although I don’t know the specifics on this one it happens often where a player is used outside their comfort zone based on a team’s weakness. Unfairly they are judged but really it’s the team’s shortcomings that should be judged?

member 71782

Ah comments from those that think they know but don’t lol.

Not looking to stir the pot, even though it will unfortunately come across that way but why is it when people post an opinion that you don't agree with you look to rip on them?

You come across as a knowledgeable fan with points that people agree with or disagree with depending on the topic at the time but if you disagree with their opinions you act like you are some insider and no one else knows anything or has a clue/understanding of how things work.

I avoid engaging with you simply because what could be a good discussion would simply devolve into something ridiculous.

What do you really know that makes others so much less knowledgeable then you are?

Have you/do you work for a team, ever? Have you ever scouted/coached/managed/owned a team?.

When you're not looking to put down or mock others opinions, whether I agree or disagree I do look forward to your opinions because you can provide a knowledgeable point of view but responding to them isn't worth the comments you tend to reply with which can be very condescending and no different then what you claim others do.

No one really claims to be an insider on here and the few who may have a bit of inside knowledge are known and whether people agree with them or not they knw where certain comments come from but you simply say people like to think they know what they're talking about, make some disparaging remark and pretend you know it all.

Why?

As for what else has been happening

While making the playoffs won't accomplish much and a higher draft pick would probably help more no team should ever be tanking. Glad to see a win over a loss anytime but the wins can't cover all the mistakes and ongoing issues with this team.

If they make the playoffs that's fine, if they don't unfortunately that's kind of where expectations have dropped to at this point. Anything short of a miracle run to the third run should ensure Letowski is not returning next season. He has failed this season and at the same time brought the talent on this team down.

It can't all be laid on him no doubt but the poor choices have just kept piling up all season and regardless of whatever type of talent infusion they can get over the offseason I wouldn't trust him moving forward to play the role he needs to in establishing a better culture in the room and development on the ice. Who may be available? I don't know but regardless of who they could bring in of course there are always risks that someone else could do no better but the bigger risk right now is doing nothing.

Rychel has to have a big offseason as well. While it may not seem like he has anything to worry about unless he has controlling interest there are always things that could affect his future. He has shown what he can do in the past, he needs to get back to that level because no matter how many people deserve blame the one who is making the decisions also needs to bear responsibility.

Players have some blame but in the end while they are the ones playing the games they are also at the bottom of the pile with everything around them affecting what they do. Many need to be moved for various reasons.

Time for a complete change in leadership.

ohloutsider

Jan 13, 2016
Rock & Hardplace
Game notes - So they get a win in the Soo, impressive - did not see that coming. Long term not sure it will help but it has to help the lads get out of their funk for sure. That part is a good thing.

Staios not a top 1/2 type player but since the trade deadline seems to be getting better ( yes I keep repeating myself but I did not see this happening). I think this team really misses Ladd - he was the quiet one back there that was eating up minutes and not getting much hype, just doing a steady job.

Spits played hard and did the hang on thing to the end. Not sure if the Soo just did not give the effort or is this their team of the future once all of the stars are gone?

Bad thing - OMG why did we start the 3rd period up 1 goal in the trap??? All that got us was pinned in our own end for like 15 minutes! Really not sure how they managed to pull this win off but TL don't use this as an example how to win hockey games. Thank you Mr Incze, played very well at the end. That was 2 games in a row that goaltending was not an issue. Kari played well the night before.

I'm not as worried about the future of the D as other are. We have some real good 3 through 7 D just need 1 stud back there. Any D drafted this year will not likely be that stud for a couple of years ( unless you get a Drysdale). I can see some movement there and likely an OA again this year.

Now we sit and wait to see what Erie and Sarina do . Outside chance we land in 7th. Erie could even end up in 7th. 3 teams fighting it out for 7th through 9th. Bad me still wants the 9th spot and the pick.

Teflon

Jan 6, 2018
Not looking to stir the pot, even though it will unfortunately come across that way but why is it when people post an opinion that you don't agree with you look to rip on them?

You come across as a knowledgeable fan with points that people agree with or disagree with depending on the topic at the time but if you disagree with their opinions you act like you are some insider and no one else knows anything or has a clue/understanding of how things work.

I avoid engaging with you simply because what could be a good discussion would simply devolve into something ridiculous.

What do you really know that makes others so much less knowledgeable then you are?

Have you/do you work for a team, ever? Have you ever scouted/coached/managed/owned a team?.

When you're not looking to put down or mock others opinions, whether I agree or disagree I do look forward to your opinions because you can provide a knowledgeable point of view but responding to them isn't worth the comments you tend to reply with which can be very condescending and no different then what you claim others do.

No one really claims to be an insider on here and the few who may have a bit of inside knowledge are known and whether people agree with them or not they knw where certain comments come from but you simply say people like to think they know what they're talking about, make some disparaging remark and pretend you know it all.

Why?

As for what else has been happening

While making the playoffs won't accomplish much and a higher draft pick would probably help more no team should ever be tanking. Glad to see a win over a loss anytime but the wins can't cover all the mistakes and ongoing issues with this team.

If they make the playoffs that's fine, if they don't unfortunately that's kind of where expectations have dropped to at this point. Anything short of a miracle run to the third run should ensure Letowski is not returning next season. He has failed this season and at the same time brought the talent on this team down.

It can't all be laid on him no doubt but the poor choices have just kept piling up all season and regardless of whatever type of talent infusion they can get over the offseason I wouldn't trust him moving forward to play the role he needs to in establishing a better culture in the room and development on the ice. Who may be available? I don't know but regardless of who they could bring in of course there are always risks that someone else could do no better but the bigger risk right now is doing nothing.

Rychel has to have a big offseason as well. While it may not seem like he has anything to worry about unless he has controlling interest there are always things that could affect his future. He has shown what he can do in the past, he needs to get back to that level because no matter how many people deserve blame the one who is making the decisions also needs to bear responsibility.

Players have some blame but in the end while they are the ones playing the games they are also at the bottom of the pile with everything around them affecting what they do. Many need to be moved for various reasons.

Time for a complete change in leadership.
Ok so I don’t mean to come across that way, it’s the folks who make comments that should only be made by someone who knows. Yes I have coached kids up to their draft years, been a jr consultant and I have scouted a bit. I am also still in contact with a number of hockey people around the area. So yes I think my opinion and facts are worthy. But that’s your decision to make. I don’t mock unless the posters comments are ridiculous. Ohl hockey is a very delicate balance, the issues the kids go thru would shock most people. They are doing a mans work while still being a teenager. Do I know everything? Hell no but I’m no dummy either. My comments are either based on direct knowledge, my own history or info from trusted people. I will occasionally opine but I try to state it’s an opinion. Folks need to remember you can have all the info in the game one minute and the next it’s changed. Unless your directly with the team you miss changes often. I’ve said before I try to pass along relevant info I trust, but that doesn’t mean it can’t change. I love hockey chats, hell I live for them! Don’t avoid asking or making your thoughts known, just don’t tell us as if you know it as fact. That’s why the comment was said today! It was in regard to the draft comments. WR runs the draft, ALL gm’s do! But they have poured over hours of notes from trusted people well before hand. Every team has a board of where they value players and that’s what they use almost always. To say otherwise is nonsense. So to be clear. No I’m not team personnel but I will give you honest answers if I can. I’m older lol so some things may be dated but I’m up on quite a bit of what goes on.

LR8

Mar 8, 2018
Have to give Sault credit for being one of the best teams at shameless self promotion in the league. They are very good program up there, however lose a home game in OT to struggling squad that is short skaters, playing second game in 18 hours, about 600 km travel one way on a bus, on night when we lose an hour sleep, and they give first and second star to their own players? They are good at this sort of thing. Have promoted the goalie mercilessly. They do this with no shame for their guys. it is unfair to the spits that had good games.

Spits - couple of very good 02's. 8 having tough year? Goalies - #1 will he be back? What happened as expectations seemed higher. Did he get a fair opportunity to show? 31 - can he return next year as OA and not count? Is there a rule change? you might get both back?

RayzorIsDull

Nov 16, 2007
bp on hfboards
Ah comments from those that think they know but don’t lol. I just can’t decide if it was luck in the Soo or the guys decided to show what they can do when they want to. Maybe they want a new coach too. Imho this win hurts tho. This team desperately needs that D man in the draft and he isn’t gonna fall to them if they get in the playoffs. We mostly know this team wouldn’t be good this year so some of u haters are just pot stirring! Now the regression of talent and the dumb decisions behind the bench, that’s another story! The possibility is there that the team adds 7 players next year. That happens and we get a coach, I see way better things ahead. Just to clarify, 7 players. A euro pick, Robinson, 2 US born guys from previous drafts, Affy from Mikey trade and a minimum 2 guys from draft. I think that’s a likely good. That doesn’t included any stunts from WR. But I believe he gets aggressive. The shenanigans London pulls off has him riled up!

In regards to the last sentence. You have said for awhile London does this stuff but now it has really riled up Rychel? Rychel has been the GM all this time through Mark being gm, Basil and Rob Simpson. Just now though Rychel is going to get aggressive? Isn't his job every year to be aggressive and put together the best possible roster for the coaching staff? Windsor has been getting their butts kicked by London for the last 8 years but now Rychel is really mad and going to do something about it? Why would this offseason be any more important than the past 8?

Also you say people thought the Spits would be worse that doesn't make a lot of sense there wasn't anyone in the organization at the beginning of the year talking about rebuild. It was home ice advantage in round 1, winning a playoff round. That narrative only change once the team started to play poorly.

Reactions: punch1943

TheGremlin

May 23, 2018
Somewhere
Ah comments from those that think they know but don’t lol. I just can’t decide if it was luck in the Soo or the guys decided to show what they can do when they want to. Maybe they want a new coach too. Imho this win hurts tho. This team desperately needs that D man in the draft and he isn’t gonna fall to them if they get in the playoffs. We mostly know this team wouldn’t be good this year so some of u haters are just pot stirring! Now the regression of talent and the dumb decisions behind the bench, that’s another story! The possibility is there that the team adds 7 players next year. That happens and we get a coach, I see way better things ahead. Just to clarify, 7 players. A euro pick, Robinson, 2 US born guys from previous drafts, Affy from Mikey trade and a minimum 2 guys from draft. I think that’s a likely good. That doesn’t included any stunts from WR. But I believe he gets aggressive. The shenanigans London pulls off has him riled up!
I’d be very happy to see 7 or 8 new faces in the lineup next year.

OHL 17

Nov 8, 2018
Windsor, On
The Spits need to start with retooling the leadership group. Then maybe the culture changes. That would make any player addition, have increased impact.

ohloutsider

Jan 13, 2016
Rock & Hardplace
I’d be very happy to see 7 or 8 new faces in the lineup next year.
That number is pretty typical of a junior hockey team turnover every year. Cannot remember the number exactly but from 09 to 10 they had around 10 or 11 new faces in the line up and still kept the winning rolling. It is all about keeping the core going.

ohloutsider

Jan 13, 2016
Rock & Hardplace
Game notes part 2 - I had to chuckle yesterday when they interviewed Foudy. He noted his coaches and team mates were telling him to shoot the puck more. He had taken more shots in the first period than he would normally in 4 or 5 games. Keeps the opposition thinking so keep that up. Wonder how long they have been telling him that?

Notice how Douglas's production has gone down and Purboo's has gone up? Now check out the line mates - Foudy and Cuylle make their line mates better. The core is coming we just need to somehow wait out this downturn.

DetSpitsFan

Nov 20, 2016
Game notes - So they get a win in the Soo, impressive - did not see that coming. Long term not sure it will help but it has to help the lads get out of their funk for sure. That part is a good thing.

Staios not a top 1/2 type player but since the trade deadline seems to be getting better ( yes I keep repeating myself but I did not see this happening). I think this team really misses Ladd - he was the quiet one back there that was eating up minutes and not getting much hype, just doing a steady job.

Spits played hard and did the hang on thing to the end. Not sure if the Soo just did not give the effort or is this their team of the future once all of the stars are gone?

Bad thing - OMG why did we start the 3rd period up 1 goal in the trap??? All that got us was pinned in our own end for like 15 minutes! Really not sure how they managed to pull this win off but TL don't use this as an example how to win hockey games. Thank you Mr Incze, played very well at the end. That was 2 games in a row that goaltending was not an issue. Kari played well the night before.

I'm not as worried about the future of the D as other are. We have some real good 3 through 7 D just need 1 stud back there. Any D drafted this year will not likely be that stud for a couple of years ( unless you get a Drysdale). I can see some movement there and likely an OA again this year.

Now we sit and wait to see what Erie and Sarina do . Outside chance we land in 7th. Erie could even end up in 7th. 3 teams fighting it out for 7th through 9th. Bad me still wants the 9th spot and the pick.

I agree with the Ladd statement. I think he’s missed more than people realize. He’s not a top scoring defensemen by any means, but he’s solid. I like Corcoran back there, I just think he’s playing so much he’s too tired to play to his potential. Staios is coming around as well. Henault has improved. I think Robinson is going to be really good.

Personally, I see those 5 returning and I don’t see that as a bad group of Defensemen. I think we are still looking for the that #1 guy, but there’s so much progress that happens in the years of junior hockey. I’m not banking on staios or Ladd becoming that guy, but I wouldn’t rule either of them out of that spot in the future.

I see the forwards getting a little more shaken up next year. I like the group we have, but somewhere we need to make room for some more production. I’d like Boka here on a 3rd line, and I assume garagan doesn’t return. Personally hope douglas, Cuylle, Foudy, angle and purboo stay put.

Reactions: ohloutsider

Teflon

Jan 6, 2018
So would it be in the Spits best interest to say we’re gonna suck this year stay home?? Lol I think not. Sports promotion is nothing new. As for London, it’s been percolating for a while, I think Stranges may have been the tipper. London just flat out gets away with stuff, been discussed before but I think the fear of Branch kept things reigned in. I’ve heard from multiple sources there’s some angry GM’s around the league and expect some extra curriculars from a number of teams. What London does while great for them is frankly hurting the CHL as a whole. Everyone else pretty much cycles the process, London just reloads every year. Now while the results aren’t there very often (mem cups) they always compete. Might be time there’s a mini revolution in jr hockey!

TheGremlin

May 23, 2018
Somewhere
That number is pretty typical of a junior hockey team turnover every year. Cannot remember the number exactly but from 09 to 10 they had around 10 or 11 new faces in the line up and still kept the winning rolling. It is all about keeping the core going.
I get what you are saying here but it usually seems like rookies and and depth guys are where turn over is. I’d like to see couple impact guys. More like a shakeup. Unless we have a new coaching staff then maybe they can elevate everyones games

OHLTG

Nov 18, 2008
behind lens, Ontario
I get what you are saying here but it usually seems like rookies and and depth guys are where turn over is. I’d like to see couple impact guys. More like a shakeup. Unless we have a new coaching staff then maybe they can elevate everyones games

Maybe we just need new systems. If it's a defence-first system, the D isn't going to get many offensive opportunities.

ohloutsider

Jan 13, 2016
Rock & Hardplace
Yes we need some high end talent for sure and somebody to guide them. Not sure if we will see the changes we want but at least some changes would be good.

Reactions: TheGremlin

RayzorIsDull

Nov 16, 2007
bp on hfboards
So would it be in the Spits best interest to say we’re gonna suck this year stay home?? Lol I think not. Sports promotion is nothing new. As for London, it’s been percolating for a while, I think Stranges may have been the tipper. London just flat out gets away with stuff, been discussed before but I think the fear of Branch kept things reigned in. I’ve heard from multiple sources there’s some angry GM’s around the league and expect some extra curriculars from a number of teams. What London does while great for them is frankly hurting the CHL as a whole. Everyone else pretty much cycles the process, London just reloads every year. Now while the results aren’t there very often (mem cups) they always compete. Might be time there’s a mini revolution in jr hockey!

Sports promotion isn't new but fans aren't going to hustle to buy tickets based upon what someone in the organization says. I have always been taught it's much better to under promise and over deliver as opposed to over promising and under delivering. Or in other words speak softly and carry a big stick.

I am calling bollocks on GMs being pissed or at least being pissed to do something about it. How does what they do hurt the CHL? They recruit great players to play in this league and line the pockets of the league with money which is good for their bottom line. Yes there's a lack of transparency and the league is falling behind the NCAA but that has less than 1% to do with London. Yes Windsor wanted to get Stranges but didn't want to take him in round 1. In other words Rychel wants his cake and eat it at the same time. He tried to do the same thing back in 2010 selecting Webermin round 1 and hoping to grab Kerby in round 2. Sometimes you gotta shoot your shot.

Reactions: aresknights

RayzorIsDull

Nov 16, 2007
bp on hfboards

Outsider is right so are you. Spits had new faces McDonald/Foudy/Cuylle/Piroinen/Allen. Allen and Cuylle we trades but 4 of those 5 were rookies. Going into next year OA possibilities or current OAs.

Incze
Stevenson
Boka
Purboo
Garagan
Campbell
Allen

Robinson will plug into replace one of Allen or Stevenson but there will be 1 more which quite possibly just come from either their import pick or 1st round midget pick. I think you will see Purboo return. After that this is the chance Rychel can really be active say bye-bye to Garagan and Boka. By the same token it could merely just mean their 2nd round pick replaces Garagan or Boka. I would try and shake it up as well and I like this guy but he's been mis-used since the deadline Frasca with Garagan and Campbell. Frasca isn't a 4th line guy but he's been stuck with 2 guys that aren't strong players. Frasca can't thrive as a 4th liner but this is what you have. If he's going to be on the 4th line again at least use his age and leverage him into something that can really help the team. I can't tell you what you will see in net but I would cut ties with both.

member 71782

Ok so I don’t mean to come across that way, it’s the folks who make comments that should only be made by someone who knows. Yes I have coached kids up to their draft years, been a jr consultant and I have scouted a bit. I am also still in contact with a number of hockey people around the area. So yes I think my opinion and facts are worthy. But that’s your decision to make. I don’t mock unless the posters comments are ridiculous. Ohl hockey is a very delicate balance, the issues the kids go thru would shock most people. They are doing a mans work while still being a teenager. Do I know everything? Hell no but I’m no dummy either. My comments are either based on direct knowledge, my own history or info from trusted people. I will occasionally opine but I try to state it’s an opinion. Folks need to remember you can have all the info in the game one minute and the next it’s changed. Unless your directly with the team you miss changes often. I’ve said before I try to pass along relevant info I trust, but that doesn’t mean it can’t change. I love hockey chats, hell I live for them! Don’t avoid asking or making your thoughts known, just don’t tell us as if you know it as fact. That’s why the comment was said today! It was in regard to the draft comments. WR runs the draft, ALL gm’s do! But they have poured over hours of notes from trusted people well before hand. Every team has a board of where they value players and that’s what they use almost always. To say otherwise is nonsense. So to be clear. No I’m not team personnel but I will give you honest answers if I can. I’m older lol so some things may be dated but I’m up on quite a bit of what goes on.

Fair enough and appreciated, thanks.

RayzorIsDull

Nov 16, 2007
bp on hfboards
Game notes part 2 - I had to chuckle yesterday when they interviewed Foudy. He noted his coaches and team mates were telling him to shoot the puck more. He had taken more shots in the first period than he would normally in 4 or 5 games. Keeps the opposition thinking so keep that up. Wonder how long they have been telling him that?

Notice how Douglas's production has gone down and Purboo's has gone up? Now check out the line mates - Foudy and Cuylle make their line mates better. The core is coming we just need to somehow wait out this downturn.

I would be interested in what people consider the core beyond say Foudy/Cuylle. I don't think Douglas has improved to the point where he's part of the core. He's improved in some areas but his motor isn't very strong, lacks consistency even shift to shift and isn't very strong on the puck for a guy his size. D'Amico has taken a big jump even with his big drought but his size will always be an issue and his skating still needs to get much better. Are current 18 year olds soon to be 19 year olds constitute being part of the core? I guess it mainly comes down to if some guys have already reached their ceiling as well.

Teflon

Jan 6, 2018
Sports promotion isn't new but fans aren't going to hustle to buy tickets based upon what someone in the organization says. I have always been taught it's much better to under promise and over deliver as opposed to over promising and under delivering. Or in other words speak softly and carry a big stick.

I am calling bollocks on GMs being pissed or at least being pissed to do something about it. How does what they do hurt the CHL? They recruit great players to play in this league and line the pockets of the league with money which is good for their bottom line. Yes there's a lack of transparency and the league is falling behind the NCAA but that has less than 1% to do with London. Yes Windsor wanted to get Stranges but didn't want to take him in round 1. In other words Rychel wants his cake and eat it at the same time. He tried to do the same thing back in 2010 selecting Webermin round 1 and hoping to grab Kerby in round 2. Sometimes you gotta shoot your shot.
You can call bullocks all you want. Remind me again of your hockey knowledge? First off teams always come out and say we’re gonna be good this year. You may not but teams that rely on a gate do. London doing so well every year keeps others from doing so which hurts other centres bottom line. Makes more sense to have teams cycling they the ups and downs, keeps fan interest. Just like you say why Windsor’s attendance struggles...1 team isn’t as good as multiple teams having good seasons. Also helps team worth when you can refer back to good seasons. Draftees start playing games ( I wanna play there) how can we work it?!?! Yes this is happening. Those players for the most part would be playing here anyway, the old I won’t report game still runs pretty often. There’s a hundred reasons why one team always getting the guy and never having a bad season hurts the group as a whole. This is one reason the CHL is losing players to US university. CHL needs to become way more transparent and Branch needs to stop ruling like a dictator. There’s a direct conflict of interest in London yet nothing is done. Way to many questions surround that group. Smoke = fire. Sure Windsor wanted Stranges but no one drafts him with his I’m not reporting line in the first round. Even second rnd was iffy. Less than 1%?!?! I’m not sure where or how you came to that number but imho your not close.

Reactions: ottersguy
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad