Windsor Spitfires 2018-19 Thread (Part 4)

Status
Not open for further replies.

TheGremlin

May 23, 2018
Somewhere
After last night's win Spits now 9-6-1-1 in their last 17 games with 9 of them on the road,7-3-1 in the last 11,hard to believe how many complain when they lose,critic the coach,etc and say dick for the most part when they win.
There has been improvements in most areas ie goals for,goals against,individual play with the exception of Boka and Starikov, there were more then a few others,but most have right the ship.
More points from the D has helped,in fact Spits now have 3Dmen in double points Corcoran has more goals this year(5),then all of last (3),Staois has the same number of points (12) then last except he played in 30 more last year, Ladd has 10 points in 24 games,only 5 in 30 last year no goals,2 goals so far,8 points in his last 16 games played,and Louka Henault who scored his 1st goal of his OHL career last night has 6 points on the season,had 2 points last year in 42 games.
Everybody talks about lack of scoring, fact is that they have averaged, 3.82 in goals for,and allowed 2.0 per in the last 11 games,and in the last 17 games,are averaging 3.53 goals for and 2.42 in goals against.
The 1st 8 games of the season Windsor was averaging 2.63 goals per game enroute to a 3-5 record,and now only 6 losses in regulation in the last 17 games.Every area improved imo overall coaching must be bad next.
Spits have only lost 1 game this season by more then 2 goals excluding empty netters,and that was October 27 at Barrie in a 6-1 loss.
Spits are 2nd best overall in goals against in the league excluding empty netters,London is #1 and 16th tied with Peterborough for goals overall.
PK is #2 in the league and the PP is #15.
Last year after being in the top 4 in both PK and PP prior to Luchuk and the gang being dealt they finished 5th in PK and 16th in PP.
Ironically they are 15th in PP with the same 18.1 per cent as they finished last year after a great start before the deals.
Overall satisfied with things have gone overall for 1st 25 games,especially considering a number of players underachieving the 1st 10 games or so.
Happy with all the kids looking forward to last 2/3 thirds of the schedule
Some forget this is the 2nd youngest team in the league,there will be growing pains along the way.
They can score when they play teams with weak goaltending and they struggle when they play teams with above average goaltending. In the last 11 games, how many of those teams have above average goaltending??? Why on 5 on 3 PP is Douglas and Cuylle not out there at all during the 1:50 of PP time?? In the 3rd Foudy, Morgan and Cullye had 1 shift together and dominated down low and we never saw that line again. Next time out Boka was between them and that’s a mistake. If a line goes out and does well shouldn’t they try it again and see what happens. I think morgan should play with the younger kids. Seems to do well with them.

RayzorIsDull

Nov 16, 2007
bp on hfboards
A lot of the critiquing of the coaches has occurred win or lose so that's been pretty consistent.

There has been some improvement from some, others not so much. The biggest complaint about the players has been a lack of consistency. One or two players playing inconcsistent for a stretch is one thing but the whole team has been inconsistent all year so while there has been improvement when looking at the long term stats the game to game inconsistencies remains an issue.

Their goals for/against may look better but many times the goals for have come in bunches, again this is the inconsistency issue.

Excluding empty net goals may help their numbers look better but when this team has allowed at least one empty net goal every time they've pulled their goaltender except once and they are likely at the top or close to it in terms of empty net goals coaching has to reconsider the idea of pulling their goalie when down by a goal. Curious, how many goals have they scored this year when they've pulled their goalie? One, two? If there is a large differential between those two numbers and the team has allowed the most, or close to the most goals against when their net is empty then this tells me the team is not very good when pulling their goalie. Their PP numbers show they aren't that great with the man advantage so pulling the goalie isn't likely going to end up with a different result. Leave the goalie in and let the team go all out for the when knowing they have someone to back them up.

PP is now 15th compared to 16th last year at the end of the season so that shows very little if any real improvement on the PP. Does this fall on the players or the systems? My guess is it comes down to a bit of both.

Yes they are the second youngest team in the league and the kids so far look to be bringing a bright future to the team. The kids aren't the problem. The vets and everyone from last year should be another year older and another year improved but the kids are leading the way while many vets have shown some regression. The youth is not the problem here, it's the vets who have peaked or regressed. A lot of people always point to "next" year when they have a young team. The vets who will lead the way combined with the improved youth. This year, we aren't seeing that happening. Yet the vets have been given minutes in situations that their game is not suited for, the lack of production, consistency and ability to drive the play is obvious but the decisions to keep putting them out there are still being made.

Who's making those decisions?

I would guess it's not the players but the coaches which means a lot of the issues coming from inconsistent play, lack of veteran contributions etc is coming from coaching decisions. I've said it along with others and not just after a loss, it's been pretty consistent on here that the coaching needs to improve. If you don't have the players then you need to reconsider who you are putting on the ice in various situations instead of playing players based on years of service. Then it's up to Rychel to get those players for the coaching staff to have a wider range of options.

A lot of posters who have raised issues on here haven't done so based on a win or loss but on how things have played out regardless of if the team has won or loss. Last night could have easily gone the other way. Flint out played them most of the first and offensively they were pretty even in the second and third with the difference being Vella having a rough night for Flint. Had he played as well as he had the night before I doubt Windsor wins last night. They won and I'm complaining, again after a win about the poor decisions and lack of consistency over a win that came down to an opposing goalie having a bad night moreso then the talent and systems getting the victory.

Are you going to say they played a great game? Better than Friday? Slightly but a great or even good game, no.

Everyone needs to be a lot better than they were the last two nights if they want to bring London's current streak to an end.

Are they capable of doing it? Yes. Will it happen? That depends on a lot of things that have not been consistent this year from decisions made behind the bench to the players responding and talking advantage of their opportunities.

Plain and simple, this team can be better, much better on a consistent basis and that starts with the decisions made behind the bench to the level of effort the players give on the ice.

No one wants to see this team perform poorly and no one is happy when that happens. While some of the recent improvements are steps ion the right direction the inability to maintain that improved level of play makes any improvements questionable. Were they lucky to run off a few good games or is that what this team is really capable of in which case why can't they do it consistently.

Terrific post the frustration from a loss or critiquing a win has more to do with inconsistency and decision making more than anything else. The GA argument and EN goals is ridiculous because if you're giving up EN goals it means you were actually trailing in the game. EN goals count for a guy who puts them in the net why shouldn't they count against your teams GA?

If you're involved in games where pulling the goalie is necessary it's valid to look what preceded that whether it's a player not performing well or coaching decisions. Are we supposed to just be robots in regards to the games? Like I mentioned earlier the team returned 70% of the roster. Were there no expectations going in for this group? If they win it's okay, if they lose it's okay? It's acceptable that the veterans have been the issue and that hasn't be eradicated to this point?

Yes it's good that they beat Flint, of course they're winless on the road this year so you don't want to be that team to have them win that road game. If we are being honest I don't think anyone is shocked they lost a game to Flint. It's a .500 hockey team that will have ups and downs and any good streak may be followed by a bad stretch later on.

If we are going to continue to talk about how young the team is the coaching staff is even more important in this case so their performance should be judged just as much as the players on the roster.

nelli27

May 21, 2011
London, Ontario
Question for London is, do you trust Raaymakers (SSM did not) and if not, do you turn to a career backup, never played a playoff game in Kooy. Plus you leave the door open for your only challenger Ottawa to obtain DiPietro.
And a good question it is because at times it's a good idea to make a deal to keep a player out of the hands of a competitor. Having said that, I like our goaltending duo and would prefer to see upgrades in other areas (e.g. top 6 forward).

Oldbarn Newhay

Mar 31, 2016
Last time Raaymakers played a playoff game for Soo I believe he had the best numbers of any goalie in the O. Seemed to do not bad for London last year.

True however, 4 goals in 3 1/4 games against Flint helped his numbers. Gave up 15 goals in 4 games for London last year and really struggled down the stretch.

three dog night

May 3, 2014
Notice it the number one penalty kill team London against the number two penalty killing team Windsor knowing hockey a funny game will we see a few power play goals then.

windsor7

Nov 29, 2015
They can score when they play teams with weak goaltending and they struggle when they play teams with above average goaltending. In the last 11 games, how many of those teams have above average goaltending??? Why on 5 on 3 PP is Douglas and Cuylle not out there at all during the 1:50 of PP time?? In the 3rd Foudy, Morgan and Cullye had 1 shift together and dominated down low and we never saw that line again. Next time out Boka was between them and that’s a mistake. If a line goes out and does well shouldn’t they try it again and see what happens. I think morgan should play with the younger kids. Seems to do well with them.

Boka should be on 3rd 4th line
Big mistake coaching sliding Boka in the top lines.
Have him play for his strengths. Penalty kill n bottom 6 forwards

Purple Phart

Apr 4, 2016
True however, 4 goals in 3 1/4 games against Flint helped his numbers. Gave up 15 goals in 4 games for London last year and really struggled down the stretch.

With goaltending, it's all about "What have you done for us lately". Currently, London sits pretty good in net. They have the impressive stat of fewest goals against, so there's that old axiom that you don't fix what isn't broke. Not to take anything away from DiPietro, but there's a somewhat nagging consideration of how many actual playoff series has he won ? If history is to be considered, it's a fact that really can't be ignored. Every goaltender has their ups and downs, but given the performance of London's tandem, each of them seem to be quite adept at stepping in when the other one falters. All of the eggs aren't in one basket.

member 71782

Windsor off to a good start, skating with London, playing physical when needed and applying solid pressure in all zones.

Playing the way they need to play and are capable of, keep it up.

Rewarded with a 2 - 0 lead.

Reactions: spitsfan24

member 71782

London picks up their game in the second while Windsor sat back at times.

Give up two goals that they shouldn't have.

Foudy left wide open and poor pass in front of their own net.

Windsor can't afford these little breakdowns, all tied up at 2.

member 71782

Third period, same as the second, Windsor sat back more and more as the game wore on and it cost them the game. Still an overall better effort than the last couple of games but after a strong start they faded away.

Awesome to see we pull the goalie and have boka out there. Don’t know what coaches are thinking.

At least they didn't give up an EN goal today but still, when you need offense and you put out your best defensive player your not likely going to get it.

This year is quickly becoming one of same old same old. When things are going well go back to what hasn't been working.

Things need to change but they don't look like they will any time soon.

spitsfan24

Mar 18, 2017
Spits lose 4-2. I think it was a solid effort, but we definitely ended up running out of gas. There's one glaring issue that I keep noticing. Boka is one of the best defensively minded, penalty killing, forwards in the O. But at the end of the day, he is not a point producer. I still can't believe he's being put out there in situations where he won't succeed. He should NOT be on the ice at the end of the game when we need a goal. He should NOT be on the 1st or 2nd line, where he is expected to put up big numbers. He should be used as a top PK guy, and 3rd liner. When we won the Mem Cup, that's exactly what he was. And it worked. The line of Laishram, Luchuk and Boka was used perfectly. I understand why it may have been tempting to see what he could do offensively, especially last year, but we have the skill guys this year where we won't be exposed as much. And to me, that all comes down to coaching.

Reactions: windsor7

OHLTG

Nov 18, 2008
behind lens, Ontario
If there was a poster for "what happens when a team runs out of steam", this is the game they'd use.

Windsor started showing fatigue in the second period, but they kept at it. Nobody backed down. Chances were created. All was good. Then... the giveaway. Guskov gets an early Christmas present on a pretty bad pass from behind the net. He's all alone. Nothing DiPietro could do. That tied it up at two and it took the wind out of the sails.

Nobody can complain about the effort in the first half of the game. Players were hitting, standing up for each other (mostly), and creating. It really looked like they were just out of gas by the third period. When you have four shots in the final frame, that tells me a lot.

Lots of weird bounces each way. Very much a game where the officials tried to stay out but still made themselves noticed. It was a typical Windsor/London game, though I was expecting at least one tilt the way things were going (and yes, I realize the game has changed).

No Playfair certainly didn't help. He's usually a ball of energy.

windsor7

Nov 29, 2015
Windsor loses to London
Windsor bench out coached by Hunter and company AGAIN. Happens quite often.
Spits came out with a great 1st period. Got a lucky bounce and made it count on the 1st goal.
After the 1st though, Windsor outplayed for the last 2 periods
London loves to tackle players. Happened a few times today.
London with 12 games in a row now.
Purboo played well. He had many chances to score today. breakaway, post, a few other good chances.
DiPietro played as well as he can. The Windsor d just cant clear guys out in front of the net or don't actually play defense.
I think there is 2 more home games before Dipietro should leave for Jrs.
Will he be back afterwards? Odds are very unlikely.

ohloutsider

Jan 13, 2016
Rock & Hardplace
I know it was rumoured that the OA rule was going to change in terms of goalies not counting against the 3 OAs, along with the return of import goalies but I don't remember hearing it was confirmed.

Maybe HL can confirm what it is.

In terms of a potential deal with London, wouldn't be surprised at all.

Could see London move Raymaakers to Ottawa for the extra picks.

Could see London also move a couple of other bodies for more picks then move Evangalista, a second player and all the picks Rychel is asking for without dipping into their own stockpile for much more than a couple of the picks they currently have.

Will it happen? Who knows but I wouldn't be surprised.
My recollection was the OA goalie not counting rule was announced but was not going to take effect until next year.

member 71782

The rule regarding goalies and overage tenders was never enacted.

My recollection was the OA goalie not counting rule was announced but was not going to take effect until next year.

I can't find anything to show it's been officially made a rule.

I know HL and I have our differences but will give him credit/benefit of the doubt that it was never finalized for this year.

I remember it being said in a few places on here that it was never enacted.

Reactions: OHLTG
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad