Windsor Spitfires 2018 Offseason Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

hockeylegend11

Sep 11, 2010
Owen Sound has apparently dealt with the '67's for goaltender Oliver Lafrenier. That's one less suitor for DiPietro's services, so the group of potential buyers just got smaller, and that potential for a huge return has shrunk. Granted, both are far from being equal, ability wise, but there's a reason that the Dollar Stores exist.

Could Headrick be viewed as a legitimate option over Day ? Both are OA's and would be viewed as short-term rentals, but when the asking price becomes a consideration, which player gets moved first.....and most importantly, at what cost ? Hasn't WR been down this road before ? By that, I mean setting his asking price so high, that opposing GM's just shrug, and go elsewhere to seek out deals more in line with their budgets ?
Owen Sound has apparently dealt with the '67's for goaltender Oliver Lafrenier. That's one less suitor for DiPietro's services, so the group of potential buyers just got smaller, and that potential for a huge return has shrunk. Granted, both are far from being equal, ability wise, but there's a reason that the Dollar Stores exist.

Could Headrick be viewed as a legitimate option over Day ? Both are OA's and would be viewed as short-term rentals, but when the asking price becomes a consideration, which player gets moved first.....and most importantly, at what cost ? Hasn't WR been down this road before ? By that, I mean setting his asking price so high, that opposing GM's just shrug, and go elsewhere to seek out deals more in line with their budgets ?

Day is not considered to be an o/a
despite this being his 5th year in the league.

Reactions: DetSpitsFan

hockeylegend11

Sep 11, 2010
What he says in the media and what he actually says to other GM's is not likely the same thing - 2011 was a year where they kept Ellis and Kazien and made another ill advised run - so they were never really sellers, so your example is not accurate.

I had no problem with that run,made it to the final 4,rather then giving Ellis and Kassisan away,teams later admitted they should have paid the price as Windsor passed them by that year.

Reactions: randomhero4life

OHLTG

Nov 18, 2008
behind lens, Ontario
What he says in the media and what he actually says to other GM's is not likely the same thing.

It's no secret that the public won't hear much of what goes on. Windsor fans, of all people, should know that after the Riolo stuff. That said, I still expect them to sell as any other option creates a far more difficult situation than anyone needs.

tomschman

Oct 29, 2015
I had no problem with that run,made it to the final 4,rather then giving Ellis and Kassisan away,teams later admitted they should have paid the price as Windsor passed them by that year.
The problem that year was they traded Shugg and Cantin for what turned out to be Rychel and Ebert. Then they changed course and kept Ellis and Kassian. If they hadn't traded Shugg and Cantin, they might have been looking at a 3rd straight Mem Cup that year. The point is once you start a rebuild, you really can't reverse yourself.

hockeylegend11

Sep 11, 2010
The problem that year was they traded Shugg and Cantin for what turned out to be Rychel and Ebert. Then they changed course and kept Ellis and Kassian. If they hadn't traded Shugg and Cantin, they might have been looking at a 3rd straight Mem Cup that year. The point is once you start a rebuild, you really can't reverse yourself.

They also lost Hall and Fowler early
to the NHL that season.

Purple Phart

Apr 4, 2016
The real point of my previous post was that if ever there was a team that needed an elite-level goaltender, it was Owen Sound. Looking at their team's overall performance, it has become rather obvious that they don't really lack for scoring. They are more than capable in that area. What they've been struggling with has been a lack of consistant goaltending...even just average goaltending. DiPietro could have filled that need more than any other available tender out there....but that deal didn't get done. Was the asking price so high that it motivated the Attack GM to go elsewhere and settle for less ??? If that's the situation, how will it affect those other"hoped for" deals going forward.

Every deal consumated represents one less potential trading partner, and it lessens the possibility that a sufficent number of higher picks will be recovered. Every team isn't a buyer, and their number begins to dwindle away with every deal made. Add to that, some GM's are notoriously cheap, and are very reluctant to become high rollers, since it affects their job security. Just thoughts to consider, when counting up all of those picks that potentially could be recouped.

OHLTG

Nov 18, 2008
behind lens, Ontario
I've seen some criticism of the deal (from an OS pov) on Twitter. I don't know if the deal was meant to be THE solution to the Attack's issues, or a band-aid for a while, or what. I ALMOST wonder if this is a stop-gap and he comes to Windsor in a deal for DiPietro.

Reactions: punch1943

punch1943

Apr 15, 2012
South Detroit
I've seen some criticism of the deal (from an OS pov) on Twitter. I don't know if the deal was meant to be THE solution to the Attack's issues, or a band-aid for a while, or what. I ALMOST wonder if this is a stop-gap and he comes to Windsor in a deal for DiPietro.
Apparently you have either hacked my mail or read my mind. If the object of their affection is DiPi that makes sense. On another note, I can't figure out why Otten thinks Day stays unless the dreaded NTC rears its ugly head.

ohloutsider

Jan 13, 2016
Rock & Hardplace
The real point of my previous post was that if ever there was a team that needed an elite-level goaltender, it was Owen Sound. Looking at their team's overall performance, it has become rather obvious that they don't really lack for scoring. They are more than capable in that area. What they've been struggling with has been a lack of consistant goaltending...even just average goaltending. DiPietro could have filled that need more than any other available tender out there....but that deal didn't get done. Was the asking price so high that it motivated the Attack GM to go elsewhere and settle for less ??? If that's the situation, how will it affect those other"hoped for" deals going forward.

Every deal consumated represents one less potential trading partner, and it lessens the possibility that a sufficent number of higher picks will be recovered. Every team isn't a buyer, and their number begins to dwindle away with every deal made. Add to that, some GM's are notoriously cheap, and are very reluctant to become high rollers, since it affects their job security. Just thoughts to consider, when counting up all of those picks that potentially could be recouped.
I think the problem lies with outside people ( posters) that see DiPietro as the plum that most goalie starved teams would pay a high price for so there is an assumption that Windsor is/will ask a lot for him ( I like others have no idea his value). What I see IMO is the likelihood that Windsor will not move DiPietro and more so he does not want to go anywhere this year - so it would take an unlikely amount to get him so this is really a conversation for next year - will he move this year maybe but it would have to be something Warren could take to Mikey to convince him to move - Warren has know Mikey forever and he is like family to him - But he did trade his own son so ya never know.

My point is that nobody really knows what "price" is too high that they walk away - selling team starts high - buying team starts low and they negotiate until they meet in the middle or they walk away if they can't see it working for them - Warren has made lots of deals so I'm not seeing him as a GM other GM's can't work with. Stan Butler on the other hand......

OHLTG

Nov 18, 2008
behind lens, Ontario
Apparently you have either hacked my mail or read my mind. If the object of their affection is DiPi that makes sense. On another note, I can't figure out why Otten thinks Day stays unless the dreaded NTC rears its ugly head.

Day's wishes were being close to home and with a contender, from what I recall reading. That narrows it down significantly. I HOPE they deal him but there's always a chance.

The issue with the DiPietro idea is that you'd still have Patton/Baier, unless the Spitfires make it clear to Baier that Lafrenier is here simply to mentor him and it's Baier's team with Patton in Jr B. Lafreniere has OHL experience so maybe? We could be reading WAY too much into this, but just throwing it out there.

As for DiPietro moving - if Windsor hadn't won last year, then without question DiPietro stays to attempt it now. Given the victory, the only thing left on the "check-list", if you will, is to help the team down the road. That can only be done by being dealt and loyalty would never be in question. DiPietro could even come out and say "I love this team, I love this city, and this is what's best for them over the long haul."

tomschman

Oct 29, 2015
They also lost Hall and Fowler early
to the NHL that season.
I know that. But, they made the Conference Finals without Cantin and Shugg. One can only assume that they could have won the Conference with them. The Conference Championship would have put them in the Mem Cup. However, the point was they started to rebuild and then quit. They got nothing for Ellis and Kassian.

tomschman

Oct 29, 2015
Day's wishes were being close to home and with a contender, from what I recall reading. That narrows it down significantly. I HOPE they deal him but there's always a chance.

The issue with the DiPietro idea is that you'd still have Patton/Baier, unless the Spitfires make it clear to Baier that Lafrenier is here simply to mentor him and it's Baier's team with Patton in Jr B. Lafreniere has OHL experience so maybe? We could be reading WAY too much into this, but just throwing it out there.

As for DiPietro moving - if Windsor hadn't won last year, then without question DiPietro stays to attempt it now. Given the victory, the only thing left on the "check-list", if you will, is to help the team down the road. That can only be done by being dealt and loyalty would never be in question. DiPietro could even come out and say "I love this team, I love this city, and this is what's best for them over the long haul."
At this point in his career, I would assume that being close to home will not matter if he can win a 2nd straight Mem Cup. If he went to the Soo, he would be 6 hours away from home with the #1 team. As for being close to home, next September, he will be wherever the Rangers tell him he will be.

bobber

Jan 21, 2013
Kitchener Ontario
At this point in his career, I would assume that being close to home will not matter if he can win a 2nd straight Mem Cup. If he went to the Soo, he would be 6 hours away from home with the #1 team. As for being close to home, next September, he will be wherever the Rangers tell him he will be.
Can I take that to mean the Kitchener Rangers?:naughty:

punch1943

Apr 15, 2012
South Detroit
TRADE ALERT: The Barrie Colts have completed a trade with the Windsor Spitfires.
Barrie trades forward Curtis Douglas, a 2nd round pick in 2021(SBY), a 2nd round pick in 2022 and a 3rd round pick in 2024 to the Windsor Spitfires for overage forward Aaron Luchuk.

OHL4Life

Sep 6, 2017
TRADE ALERT: The Barrie Colts have completed a trade with the Windsor Spitfires.
Barrie trades forward Curtis Douglas, a 2nd round pick in 2021(SBY), a 2nd round pick in 2022 and a 3rd round pick in 2024 to the Windsor Spitfires for overage forward Aaron Luchuk.

let it start. probably fair, had to get an extra 3rd because all the picks are so far in the future, which is fine. would have liked to see the picks be in 2018-2020 but im sure that will come with the brown trade.
thumbs up for getting a 2000 with nice numbers, although i dont think he has that many gwg so ;)

i still dont think they have any interest in moving dipietro, not this year.

Reactions: member 71782

OHLTG

Nov 18, 2008
behind lens, Ontario
Yesterday, when the trade predictions came out, I said Windsor needed a guy like Douglas. He's huge, he can score, and he can protect. I didn't expect them to go after Luchuk, but I like this deal for Windsor. Good luck to Aaron in the future; great guy to have on your roster and in the community.

ohloutsider

Jan 13, 2016
Rock & Hardplace
Answers the question - What is Luchuk worth. I'm stoked - big fan of Douglas - and with 3 picks as well - well done Warren!

Millpond

Dec 5, 2015

That ship sailed last year. McNiven was offered straight up for DIPIETRO.

Truth is, as shaky as OS goaltending has been since Bowman exited, , if he was still here the Attack is likely in 4th place in the conference.

I'm still wondering if DeGray sells, This whole thing is being g done to build around Guzda.

hky01

Jan 5, 2016
It'll be weird seeing Luchuk in a Barrie uniform after all this time, but this is almost an ideal situation for Windsor. Hopefully Looch can help Barrie get to the Memorial Cup.

Barrie better trade for 10 more players if they want a Mem Cup.

Reactions: Lycanthrope

member 71782

A better return for Luchuk than I expected, was thinking a 2nd and 2 3rds spread out between 2019-2022/3.

A decent 2000 born player, 2 2nds and a 3rd certainly offsets the time frame, Windsor would need those picks down the road as well.

With Luchuk having a career year, the ability to play up and down the line up and in all situations I think he will be a nice fit with the talented young kids in Barrie.

I don't think Barrie is in a position to go all the way but they should be able to go 2 rounds and possibly pull an upset.

Hope he does well.

Reactions: hockeylegend11
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad