Windows 11 "Preview"

Buffaloed

webmaster
Feb 27, 2002
Niagara Falls
I've been trying it out. Do not be afraid. It's the same as Windows 10 with a bit of polishing. Elements of the interface have been streamlined but everything is still there and all my windows 10 hacks work. There's annoying widgets and the start menu still sucks but you can hide that stuff use Classic Shell. It seems faster but that's probably animation trickery. The only changes I really appreciate are the fonts and context menus. It's easier on the eyes and the menus have been made more useful.

It's a painless upgrade as long as they don't get any bright ideas.

Edition Windows 11 Pro
Version 21H2
OS build 22000.160
Experience Windows Feature Experience Pack 1000.22000.160.0

Online Simulator: Win 11 in React

The Head Crusher

Re-retired
Jan 3, 2008
Edmonton
I've been trying it out. Do not be afraid. It's the same as Windows 10 with a bit of polishing. Elements of the interface have been streamlined but everything is still there and all my windows 10 hacks work. There's annoying widgets and the start menu still sucks but you can hide that stuff use Classic Shell. It seems faster but that's probably animation trickery. The only changes I really appreciate are the fonts and context menus. It's easier on the eyes and the menus have been made more useful.

It's a painless upgrade as long as they don't get any bright ideas.

Edition Windows 11 Pro
Version 21H2
OS build 22000.160
Experience Windows Feature Experience Pack 1000.22000.160.0

Online Simulator: Win 11 in React

But I do not like change! ;)

RandV

It's a wolf v2.0
Jul 29, 2003
Vancouver
Visit site
But I do not like change! ;)

Society is probably long past caring at this point but I feel like traditionally the problem with a new Windows is not so much a matter of what has changed but rather what kind of new or extra DRM/Advertising/Data collection/Apple-like App store bullshit are they going to push on us. It's not just a matter of being a software upgrade but there's usually some new angle they're pushing or market they're chasing and it's all about what Microsoft wants, not the user.

crazychimp

Jun 24, 2014
Vancouver
Been running this on a virtual machine overall I do like the changes, I'm interested to see how many android apps will be able to run on it natively.

Sep 19, 2008
I upgraded to this yesterday but just for my laptop. Don't want to update my PC to it as that one has all the games on it.

How is everyone liking this so far? I had to move the icons from center to left almost immediately because I didn't like that format.

SuperScript29

Nov 17, 2017
I upgraded to this yesterday but just for my laptop. Don't want to update my PC to it as that one has all the games on it.

How is everyone liking this so far? I had to move the icons from center to left almost immediately because I didn't like that format.

I upgraded last night as well and I don't think it's that bad.

Along with Windows I also use Ubuntu, and I noticed they're going for the Linux feel a bit here.

Reactions: John Price

Albatros

Aug 19, 2017
Ostsee
Lots of bugs still, some of them quite irritating. Windows are now easier to arrange which is the nicest improvement. Start menu has been sabotaged and is much worse than before.

Sep 19, 2008
I upgraded last night as well and I don't think it's that bad.

Along with Windows I also use Ubuntu, and I noticed they're going for the Linux feel a bit here.
I think the UI is pretty slick although explorer takes time to get used to. I dont' really have any issues with it so far.

IslesNbeer

Sponsor
Nov 25, 2016
Alberta
I've been using it for a few weeks now, no complaints.
I actually like the start menu in the middle, with a 49" ultrawide I don't have to turn my head now to look at the start menu.

Osprey

Feb 18, 2005
I just want the clock back on my 2nd monitor taskbar. Only issue I've had with it so far.

If you're willing to restore the Windows 10 taskbar to get it back, you can with this free program:

GitHub - valinet/ExplorerPatcher: This project aims to bring back a productive working environment on Windows 11 (click on Releases on the right to download)

Note that I haven't tried it yet. I have heard, though, that it works and even allows other utilities that manipulate the Windows 10 taskbar to work.

Reactions: Nizdizzle

Nizdizzle

Offseason Is The Worst Season
Jul 7, 2007
Windsor, Ontario
twitter.com
If you're willing to restore the Windows 10 taskbar to get it back, you can with this free program:

GitHub - valinet/ExplorerPatcher: This project aims to bring back a productive working environment on Windows 11 (click on Releases on the right to download)

Note that I haven't tried it yet. I have heard, though, that it works and even allows other utilities that manipulate the Windows 10 taskbar to work.
Thanks.

I've been using a program called ElevenClock which also fixes it, still kinda annoyed that it was removed for seemingly no reason.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad