Windows 11 it's almost here.

beowulf

Not a nice guy.
Jan 29, 2005
Ottawa
...what exactly does that mean, for someone that hasn't bought a gaming console in over 10 years? Is that supposed to instill confidence, or am I supposed to continue laughing?
Seems to be about tech that allows for better gamming built in

One of Microsoft CEO Satya Nadella's newest mantras is that Microsoft is "all in" on gaming. With Windows 11, Microsoft's folding in features like "Auto HDR," which uses computer intelligence to enhance the visuals in a video game. "The difference is stunning," said Xbox ecosystem exec Sarah Bond said during the event.

TheGreenTBer

shut off the power while I take a big shit
Apr 30, 2021
Seems to be about tech that allows for better gamming built in

One of Microsoft CEO Satya Nadella's newest mantras is that Microsoft is "all in" on gaming. With Windows 11, Microsoft's folding in features like "Auto HDR," which uses computer intelligence to enhance the visuals in a video game. "The difference is stunning," said Xbox ecosystem exec Sarah Bond said during the event.

You do you, Microsoft...you do you.

SuperScript29

Nov 17, 2017
Microsoft tends to have an on/off success rate, since Win95 (Which I thought was great) you have:

Win98 --> Good
Millennium --> Bad
XP --> Good
Vista --> Bad
7 --> Good
8 --> Bad
10 --> Good
11 --> We're in the bad cycle.....

The UI seems kind of cool though, we'll see.

Reactions: Legionnaire

Osprey

Feb 18, 2005
I tried watching the live event and it was so cringe. Ex. "The Start Menu is at the center to put YOU at the center."

RandV

It's a wolf v2.0
Jul 29, 2003
Vancouver
Visit site
Much easier to ignore the 'free upgrade' offer when if it turns out to actually be a worthwhile upgrade you can just but an OEM version from a key reseller for like $10.

aleshemsky83

Apr 8, 2008
Apparently a lot of computers are not compatible because you need a TPM 2.0 module on your motherboard.

Osprey

Feb 18, 2005
It's for security which is all good with me and supposedly unless you have a really old chip it should work.

Supposedly, first-gen Ryzen processors from 2017 (not too long ago) don't support it. Also, even modern systems tend to have TPM disabled in the BIOS. I have AMD's latest processor and motherboard chipset and the latest BIOS flashed and even I had to enable it the other day because the BIOS defaults to disabled. It's going to take a long time for Windows 11 to be widely adopted.

Last edited:

Jussi

Feb 28, 2002
Mojo Dojo Casa House
I just ran the check with the software app on Microsoft's site. My PC's fully compatible and I'll be prompted when I can download and install Win 11.

HanSolo

DJ Crazy Times
Apr 7, 2008
Las Vegas
Lol I remember when 10 dropped and they were touting it as the last Windows OS they'd release and they would just improve it into the future. Forever sure didn't last long.

Reactions: Beau Knows

Osprey

Feb 18, 2005
Lol I remember when 10 dropped and they were touting it as the last Windows OS they'd release and they would just improve it into the future. Forever sure didn't last long.

You know why they did that. Apple had been on version "10" of their OS since 2001, so 14 years by the time that Windows 10 was released. After nearly two decades, Apple finally incremented it to 11 last year, so, naturally, Microsoft had to follow suit. Windows 11's UI changes look macOS inspired, as well. Microsoft is copying Apple and not even trying to hide it. The funny thing is that Apple is incrementing macOS again to version 12 later this year. That gives Microsoft an excuse, if/when Windows 11 doesn't catch on, to quickly go to Windows 12 to put it behind them, similar to Windows 8.1's hasty release a year after 8.

beowulf

Not a nice guy.
Jan 29, 2005
Ottawa
You know why they did that. Apple had been on version "10" of their OS since 2001, so 14 years by the time that Windows 10 was released. After nearly two decades, Apple finally incremented it to 11 last year, so, naturally, Microsoft had to follow suit. Windows 11's UI changes look macOS inspired, as well. Microsoft is copying Apple and not even trying to hide it. The funny thing is that Apple is incrementing macOS again to version 12 later this year. That gives Microsoft an excuse, if/when Windows 11 doesn't catch on, to quickly go to Windows 12 to put it behind them, similar to Windows 8.1's hasty release a year after 8.

This is funny to read since that is pretty much all Apple does, they almost never have an original idea or are the first to release a new feature, they just try and copy others and the market the hell out of it.

guinness

Not Ingrid for now
Mar 11, 2002
Missoula, Montana
www.missoulian.com
I have TPM 2.0, but a Kaby Lake CPU, so no 11 update for my laptop. My desktop is Skylake, and haven't felt arsed to upgrade that in years.

While I get the secure boot/TPM 2.0 requirement on a level, I'm perplexed at the CPU cutoff. Intel hasn't done shit for years, what level of optimization of 14 nm are they up to now?

aleshemsky83

Apr 8, 2008
Supposedly, first-gen Ryzen processors from 2017 (not too long ago) don't support it. Also, even modern systems tend to have TPM disabled in the BIOS. I have AMD's latest processor and motherboard chipset and the latest BIOS flashed and even I had to enable it the other day because the BIOS defaults to disabled. It's going to take a long time for Windows 11 to be widely adopted.
Thats crazy so 1st gen ryzen and 7th gen intel boards may not be fully compatible, I wont run into this issue but its still surprising to cut off that wide a group of hardware from updates.

Osprey

Feb 18, 2005
This is funny to read since that is pretty much all Apple does, they almost never have an original idea or are the first to release a new feature, they just try and copy others and the market the hell out of it.

"Picasso had a saying, he said 'good artists copy, great artists steal,' and we have always been shameless about stealing great ideas." - Steve Jobs, in 1994

Reactions: Rumpelstiltskin

guinness

Not Ingrid for now
Mar 11, 2002
Missoula, Montana
www.missoulian.com
So Windows 11 is now available supposed to have some useful new features

11 Things You Can Do in Windows 11 That You Couldn't Do Before

One of the more interesting ones is being able to run Android Apps on it.

The Linux subsystem stuff is pretty neat too, for giggles, I installed kde under Ubuntu, and can run those apps, as well as dark table, from the start menu.

I’m liking 11 so far, and knock on wood, runs well on my officially unsupported 7th gen i7 based laptop. Don’t like that MS removed right click functionality from the taskbar, and moved some of that to the start button.

The right click in Windows explorer isn’t great either, as a lot of things I contextually run requires going back to the old layout every time.

Honestly couldn’t care about the live tiles either, as they didn’t seem to always update properly in 10, and some things were moved to the widget button.

Dolemite

The one...the only...
Sponsor
May 4, 2004
Washington DC
Hold off on upgrading folks. Hardware and software developers dropped the ball on being Windows 11 ready. Been reading reports on hardware breaking on install/upgrade.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad