Kings News: Willie Mitchell not Returning

Ron*

lisa dillman ‏@reallisa 4m
Mitchell played for the Wild (was on the team reaching the WC Final in 2003) and his wife is from Minny.

Raccoon Jesus

Todd McLellan is an inside agent
Oct 30, 2008
I.E.
Saw that. Wild get a lot scarier if they land him.

Mitchell wants to still play big minutes/situations, he won't get that here, unfortunately. He may be one of my favorite Kings to ever lace them up even though it was a short time here, will be sad to see him go, but love that he doesn't quit. Cheers.

Captain Mittens*

giphy-PU2Ani.gif

Willie don't go!

Reclamation Project

Cut It All Right In Two
Jul 6, 2011
The writing was on the wall after the Greene deal. I wouldn't give WM two years and he probably wants that or possibly even three.

Reclamation Project

Cut It All Right In Two
Jul 6, 2011
I'll enjoy the Wild being a fringe playoff team next like they usually are. Everyone gets a long term deal! Nothing about that team intimidates me.

bmr

Jan 23, 2013
Saw that. Wild get a lot scarier if they land him.

Mitchell wants to still play big minutes/situations, he won't get that here, unfortunately. He may be one of my favorite Kings to ever lace them up even though it was a short time here, will be sad to see him go, but love that he doesn't quit. Cheers.

I'm still not too concerned w/ Minnesota at this point. Heatley comes off the books and they will most likely sign Vanek, but even adding Mitchell on the team doesn't necessarily make them the favorites out of the West. Anaheim is likely to get stronger and make a big trade/signing. Chicago is still dangerous.

I'd love to keep Mitchell, but at 4 million that really handcuffs us. I'd almost rather trade Regehr so that we can keep Mitchell.

lumbergh

It was an idea. I didn't say it was a good idea.
Jan 8, 2007
Richmond, VA
Sucks that Mitchell heading out the door. I would have loved to see him sign for one more year and take another run at it. I have to wonder about 2013, how much the Kings missed him in the playoffs that year. Led the defensemen in +/- this playoff season.

I also feel like he owes the Kings a year. I'm sure he doesn't feel that way.

Good luck, Willie!

Reclamation Project

Cut It All Right In Two
Jul 6, 2011
Sucks that Mitchell heading out the door. I would have loved to see him sign for one more year and take another run at it. I have to wonder about 2013, how much the Kings missed him in the playoffs that year. Led the defensemen in +/- this playoff season.

I also feel like he owes the Kings a year. I'm sure he doesn't feel that way.

Good luck, Willie!

I also feel this way, but oh well. Don't want him for two or three years.

CTKingsFan

6/11/12 & 6/13/14
Nov 23, 2008
Connecticut
Craig Custance ‏@CraigCustance 3m

Can confirm that Kings won't be re-signing Willie Mitchell: "Unfortunately, no room." Was a huge part of that team.

ID

Sep 24, 2008
So cali
To many leftys if Mcnabb was a righty we would of resigned Willie and let Greene walk

BringTheReign

Jul 3, 2008
San Diego
I pegged Minnesota and Colorado as perfect fits for Mitchell given their need for a mentor for their incredibly promising youth. I bet Mitchell would love to go back to Minnesota; he can fish anywhere he wants in the land of 1000 lakes.

On a more melancholy note, it's going to be tough to not have Mitchell with us. If there was ever a player I'd wish the best with a new team, it's him. :cry:

KingsFan7824

Dec 4, 2003
Visit site
I'd almost rather trade Regehr so that we can keep Mitchell.

And any teams that might trade for Regehr would be the same teams looking to sign Mitchell.

It's the same thing that happened when the Kings traded for Regehr. Lombardi knew Scuderi was leaving for an eastern city when that season was over, and as he looked toward the following season, saw that there was going to be a hole to fill, so he traded for Regehr. This year, Lombardi sort of went out of his way to acquire McNabb at the deadline. There was a reason for that. Mitchell was a free agent. Regehr has 1 year left. Muzzin and Martinez need to be signed. The Kings can't sign Mitchell for a couple years or something like that, because they need that money for guys that are 10 years younger.

It sucks. The last two years Mitchell was healthy, the Kings managed to win the Cup both times. Just the realities of the cap though.

TonySCV

Golden
Mar 2, 2004
Los Angeles, CA
Bummer... I wanted Mitchell to stay and Regehr to go, but is McNabb can replace Mitchell (tall order the first season or two), then it's not so bad, as the blue line needs to get younger.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad