Injury Report: Willie Mitchell Had Knee Surgery

deeshamrock

Jul 25, 2011
Philadelphia, PA
From a tweet on Kings News Daily:

Per Darryl Sutter, #LAKings defenseman Willie Mitchell had knee surgery and "now he's way behind."

lisa dillman @reallisa Sutter on Mitchell : "he should have been a couple of weeks. Now it is almost 7."

That just sucks....I wonder how long he'll be out?

no wonder there are rumors that DL is shopping for a Dman.

Last edited:

Ziggy Stardust

Master Debater
Jul 25, 2002
Parts Unknown
The Stars got a 3rd from Edmonton for Fistric, who was the 5th defeneman on the Stars. I'm thinking that Lombardi is probably looking at a similar deal if Mitchell is a ways away from returning.

The question remains, what the hell happened to Mitchell?

kingsfan

President of the Todd McLellan fan club by default
Mar 18, 2002
Manitoba, Canada
I heard Willie hurt his knee doing some hunting or fishing, but I may be wrong.

It definately helps explain the decision to give Muzzin a recall for camp over Hickey.

What teams are in cap trouble that may need to dump a contract that we could maybe get involved in? Obviously, a rental would be preferred given next years cap situation.

KopitarFAN

Reno Sucks!
Oct 14, 2008
San Pedro, CA
I heard Willie hurt his knee doing some hunting or fishing, but I may be wrong.

It definately helps explain the decision to give Muzzin a recall for camp over Hickey.

What teams are in cap trouble that may need to dump a contract that we could maybe get involved in? Obviously, a rental would be preferred given next years cap situation.

You're correct. Maybe the surgery was a result of the injury? As opposed to injury from last season like Quick.

Ziggy Stardust

Master Debater
Jul 25, 2002
Parts Unknown
Chicago has 8 defensemen under contract: Keith, Seabrook, Oduya, Hjalmarsson, Leddy, Rozsival, Montador, Brookbank.

I suggested this in another thread, but I would love to see the Kings acquire Hjalmarsson as Mitchell's replacement. He's signed through next year, becoming a UFA in 2014.

Whiskeypete

Jul 14, 2010
Chicago
Chicago has 8 defensemen under contract: Keith, Seabrook, Oduya, Hjalmarsson, Leddy, Rozsival, Montador, Brookbank.

I suggested this in another thread, but I would love to see the Kings acquire Hjalmarsson as Mitchell's replacement. He's signed through next year, becoming a UFA in 2014.

i would be surprised to see them do anything. up until they got oduya and brookbank they were low on quality D. they fought being able to skate 6 D with typical ice times. the 5 and 6 played reduced minutes, simply because they didn't have the talent. now that coach Q has a strong back end i doubt the Hawks will want to weaken a unit that just became a strength. remember c crawford is still back there and shaky

deeshamrock

Jul 25, 2011
Philadelphia, PA

I've read in more than one article/blog/thread that Leddy and Hjalmarsson were being shopped. The Hawks were looking for a centermen. Hjalmarsson would be a good fit.

lisa dillman @reallisa Sutter on Mitchell : "he should have been a couple of weeks. Now it is almost 7."

mbar

Dec 7, 2006
Los Angeles
I've read in more than one article/blog/thread that Leddy and Hjalmarsson were being shopped. The Hawks were looking for a centermen. Hjalmarsson would be a good fit.

What does that mean exactly? Has it been 7 weeks since the injury? When did he have the surgery?

They are being pretty cagey with the details so that suggests the worse to me.

MsMeow

Nov 4, 2005
What does that mean exactly? Has it been 7 weeks since the injury? When did he have the surgery?

They are being pretty cagey with the details so that suggests the worse to me.

That's what I'm trying to figure out. When did he have the surgery? Why? When is he expected back? How did the injury occur?

If something like this happened to a player in Toronto the media would be all over it.

CNS

A World Alone
May 24, 2008
Why is it I have this terrible feeling that we're going to absolutely suck without Kopi and Mitchell? I'm more concerned with Mitchie because we all saw how ****ing BAD we were without him. Our depth is great and I know logically I shouldn't be concerned but I just am.

KopitarFAN

Reno Sucks!
Oct 14, 2008
San Pedro, CA
Why is it I have this terrible feeling that we're going to absolutely suck without Kopi and Mitchell? I'm more concerned with Mitchie because we all saw how ****ing BAD we were without him. Our depth is great and I know logically I shouldn't be concerned but I just am.

It's only natural for long-time Kings fans to be a bit weary when dealing with injuries considering our history.

Scottkmlps

Aug 25, 2003
Ladysmith, BC
Visit site
lisa dillman ‏@reallisa
Setback came from pushing too hard, too soon. Not MCL or ACL related but was apparently to remove some cartilage, DL said.

lisa dillman ‏@reallisa
OK, bit more on Willie Mitchell. Just talked to Lombardi. He said WM did have knee surgery about 2 mons ago.Had been skating but had setback

Pucknut50

Jun 13, 2007

Probably because Kopitar is one of our best defensive forwards and Mitchell is our best defensive Defenseman, PK man, as well as covering up for Voynov.

johnjm22

Pseudo Intellectual
Aug 2, 2005
I have a feeling this team is going to come out the gate very slow. Kopitar and Mitchell are huge losses.

Quick is usually a slow starter and I'm not expecting much from Doughty, Richards and Carter early on.

deeshamrock

Jul 25, 2011
Philadelphia, PA

Losing two players of that caliber would bring concern but I think 'suck' (lol) is bit overdramatic. Mike Richards and Carter are two very good centers, good defensively and are more than capable of leading the first 2 lines for a few games. (Kopi skated today and felt good. I don't think he'll be out very long) ON most teams, they'd be the top center . The offense will
l be fine, they're bot h good PK'ers And Gagne is a great PK'er, he'll do his share.

Mitchell's is more of a concern, esp since the surgery was 2 mos ago, but it's a setback and you don't want to rush it again. They need him healthyu for the playoffs.

They have enough spare parts that DL should be able to aquire a Dman, I'm sure he's out there hunting.

In the meantime, Doughty and Scuds will step it up, unless DL splits them up to put Voynev with Doughty and move up Martinez with Scuds and put Muzzin with Greene.

Ron*

Jesus Christ, all the gloom and doom.

Guys, we are going to win the Cup again. No need for this depression. Jesus.

KingsFan7824

Dec 4, 2003
Visit site
I'll let Sutter do his thing before jumping off the boat. Give the team a chance to handle a little adversity before getting too crazy.

Ad

Upcoming events

• Inter Milan vs Torino
    Inter Milan vs Torino
    Wagers: 4
    Staked: $1,752.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Metz vs Lille
    Metz vs Lille
    Wagers: 2
    Staked: $220.00