Prospect Info: William Nylander drafted by Mississauga

StuckOutHere

Feb 10, 2010
Let him stay in Sweden and develop there. He'll get stronger and Thommie Bergman is an excellent ambassador for the Leafs-- he'll convey what the team feels he needs to work on. It's important for teenagers to stay in a familiar environment while they become more comfortable with an independent lifestyle.

The following season, 2015-16, is when he should make the move to North America and play with the Marlies for a year or two. Keeping him out of the limelight and allowing him to work on his abilities over time will only result in a better player when he eventually makes the jump to the NHL.

What you are saying makes sense, and I hate to open up this bag of worms again, but Nylander has been in NA for a majority of his life. He'd have no issues adapting.

The Saurus

May 12, 2006
What you are saying makes sense, and I hate to open up this bag of worms again, but Nylander has been in NA for a majority of his life. He'd have no issues adapting.

What I am saying is he is Canadian:sarcasm:

Yup, you're right. :)

But I'd still be hesitant to take him out of an environment that he's comfortable in right now. He's still young with plenty to learn on and off the ice- don't throw him into the fishbowl in Toronto right away.

Drew75

Sep 5, 2005
I think that regardless how well he plays in camp, you put him with the Marlies to work on his overall game in a controlled enviornment. There, he can go game to game in any position you want to work on different aspects of his game (need the defensive side, put him in a shut down role for a while, put him on the wing for a while to acclimatize, then move him to centre and let him work his way up the lineup).

If he struggles in the AHL, then you still have the option to send him to Mississauga during the season. If he excels and is tearing it up, you can bring him up from time to time for some NHL sheltered spot duty to get his feet wet.

Keeping him in NA gives the team the greatest amount of flexibility with his development, so unless they just want to buy a year before signing him, I think it's a no-brainer.

maketrades

May 30, 2014
he will take 3 years before he plays in the nhl. see kadri, who was better at his age

It's nearing insanity to say Kadri was better than Nylander at the same age. Nylander is better now than Kadri was when he was drafted and Kadri was 5 months older when he was drafted.

StuckOutHere

Feb 10, 2010
I'd send him to the AHL where he can learn how to play center within the context of the North American game. That is where we should be developing him. I'd give him the Galchenyuk treatment once he gets to the NHL still, but give him the background to play down the middle in NA. Maybe when Bozak's deal runs out we could move him back to the middle and roll with (hopefully) Nylander-Kadri-Gauthier-Carrick for years to come.

cup67

May 8, 2010
TORONTO
It's nearing insanity to say Kadri was better than Nylander at the same age. Nylander is better now than Kadri was when he was drafted and Kadri was 5 months older when he was drafted.

so nylander would of been a top 5 back in kadris draft year?:)

Stephen

Feb 28, 2002
It's a high risk high reward pick for Mississauga. If Nylander goes to the CHL I'm sure they'll be enjoying some heightened fan attention with the Leafs crown jewel prospect playing for them...

ChrisCall

Jun 25, 2012
he needs to play in the ahl. playing against men is much more beneficial to his development than teen boys.

Heck, the SHL is arguably a step up from the AHL.
If he has to play in the OHL next season we should be (at least just a little bit) worried.

cup67

May 8, 2010
TORONTO
Well except for Tavares most of the guys who made it to the NHL after their draft have all been great skaters. Skinner (picked 7th in -10), Fowler (picked 12th in -10), Couturier (picked 8th in -11), Nichushkin (10th in -13). If there was one knock on Kadri when he got drafted it was the he needed to get physically stronger (had not yet a pro training program he stuck to) and that he needed to move his feet better.

Nylander just had a draft combine thats not only visually showed (the boy is ripped) that he is serious about working out, but he also had 7 top 10 results in the different tests. 2 of those was best of them all, by a wide margin. Based on his skating alone he could play in the NHL. Add in other factors as already having played as a semi-pro/pro in Sweden for the the last couple of years.

Question is if his game is ready to translate to the NHL. If it is and we will soon find out seeing as he will probably be given his 8 games or so to start the season then I can see him sticking around.

Kadri had to take all his talent and become a pro player. I dont think that is an issue with Nylander, he already is.

Why he dropped down to us at 8th I dont know. Time will tell but I am feeling pretty confident that in a few years when fans redo the 2014 draft, Nylander will be top of a lot of lists.

Edit: But yeah, I probably said the same thing about Kadri... :)

experts have all said he will not be ready this year and has to learn to play alot better in the defensive zone to be nhl ready.

he will be a good player for the leafs not a superstar alla duchene:) or sequin

maketrades

May 30, 2014
so nylander would of been a top 5 back in kadris draft year?:)

Definitely would have been in the conversation. The I'd bet on the forwards in the top 10 of this draft to be significantly better than the forwards in that draft minus Tavares.

Edit: I know point production isn't necessarily a good indicator, but look at the draft year production of the forwards in 2014 vs 2009, the difference is significant

cup67

May 8, 2010
TORONTO
Definitely would have been in the conversation. The I'd bet on the forwards in the top 10 of this draft to be significantly better than the forwards in that draft minus Tavares.

duchene, kane, schenn , kadri :) defence hedman, larson

he would of been top 8 :nod:

maketrades

May 30, 2014
duchene, kane, schenn , kadri :) defence hedman, larson

he would of been top 8 :nod:

If this is sarcasm, I'm not sure why...I wouldn't trade Nylander for 3 maybe 4 of those players. Plus Scott Glennie was drafted 8th. People are vastly underrating this draft

cup67

May 8, 2010
TORONTO
If this is sarcasm, I'm not sure why...I wouldn't trade Nylander for 3 maybe 4 of those players. Plus Scott Glennie was drafted 8th
above glennie

ok,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,, hes going to be good i know that, but better than duchene NO:nod:

kessel like no:)

diceman934

Help is on the way.
Jul 31, 2010
NHL player factory
You are clueless here. Under new CBA rules, players from Europe and US can play in AHL without using their ELC. You have 4 years of control over them. It's something for their development. You can chose how and where you want your player to be developed.

CHL is gonna have hard time with this new rule.
Not true at all. Players can not play in the AHL when over 19 without burning a year off their ELC. Players playing under contract to their NHL team in the AHL are burning off years off their ELC. Players in Ncaa or in Europe playing are not playing under contract and using up years.

Leafidelity

Best Sport/Worst League
Apr 6, 2008
Downtown Canada
Sportsnet: Steelheads draft Leafs top pick, Nylander

“We went into this with our eyes wide open,†Steelheads GM and coach James Boyd said. “There’s a very good chance that William plays in the NHL next season. And there’s an option that he plays in the AHL next season. We’re going to honour that. We think he’s the top goal scorer in the world in this year’s [NHL] draft class, a phenomenal talent. If there’s a a slim possibility that he plays major junior next year, that’s a swing for the fences we have to take. We may talk to the Leafs at some point but not right now. We’ll have to see how this plas out.â€

hockeywiz542

May 26, 2008
http://www.sportsnet.ca/hockey/nhl/steelheads-draft-leafs-top-pick-nylander/

The agent for Leafs’ first-round pick William Nylander sounded more than mildly distressed that his client was selected by the Mississauga Steelheads in the CHL import draft today. Considering that Paul Theofanous is renowned among the ranks of agents as possibly the most tightly wired guy, any fireworks left over from Canada Day can be put into use during negotiations.

“I would have not made that pick without talking to the agent or the player,†Theofanous said in a phone interview. “We have not had any communication with [the Steelheads]. It is not William’s intention to play [major junior] next season. It’s his intention to play for the Maple Leafs. Beyond that I have no comment.â€

Several Ontario Hockey League teams contacted the Maple Leafs after the draft to inquire about the possibility of playing junior next year, but Mississauga was not one of them. No teams from the Western Hockey League or the Quebec Major Junior League put in a call to the Leafs about their likely plans for Nylander, believing that he would only play close to Toronto if he played major junior at all. The Leafs let the teams know that Nylander is not under contract with Modo and is free and clear to come to North America. It’s not clear if any of these OHL teams that contacted the Leafs were in touch with Theofanous.

“We went into this with our eyes wide open,†Steelheads GM and coach James Boyd said. “There’s a very good chance that William plays in the NHL next season. And there’s an option that he plays in the AHL next season. We’re going to honour that. We think he’s the top goal scorer in the world in this year’s [NHL] draft class, a phenomenal talent. If there’s a a slim possibility that he plays major junior next year, that’s a swing for the fences we have to take. We may talk to the Leafs at some point but not right now. Weâ™ll have to see how this plays out.â€

Jonimaus

Jul 15, 2011
Lund
Heck, the SHL is arguably a step up from the AHL.
If he has to play in the OHL next season we should be (at least just a little bit) worried.

He will probably not get a huge role in an SHL team though. He's not guaranteed top 6 there.

Trapper

Nov 21, 2013
Pretty much what I think...I think he's bound for AHL or SEL again.

I you believe at some point Steve Spott will be the coach of the Leafs then Nylander should play for him in the AHL. Nonis also said he wants Nylander playing against NA men.
Marlies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad