Tribute William Nylander Discussion Thread: Ya Gotta Be Blessed Edition

Status
Not open for further replies.

unitedstars87

Jun 2, 2006
I’ve been very critical of Nylander not being engaged a lot of times. He has been feisty and driving play since the coaching change and our new possession style. If he plays with this pace and tenacity while continuing to develop, he will be special.

Last edited:

A1LeafNation

Good, is simply not good enough!
Oct 17, 2010
Babcock was holding him back. Smart player.

Mikheyev Tavares Nylander will be awesome.

Hopefully guys like Burke and Hrudey and Button and Poulin and whoever said he was a perimeter player get fired. HFBoards has more hockey IQ than these shit for brains analysts.

Last edited:

Gabriel426

Jun 30, 2015
He is learning how to be more effective and his stats are showing. He will only get better once JT and Engvall are more familiar with how he plays.

Nithoniniel

Sep 7, 2012
Skövde, Sweden
Here's the thing with Nylander. Does the increased point pace really indicate a significant change in his play? To some degree, it certainly does. He's doing even better with Tavares than he did with Matthews, and that was a top duo for years. But a large part of that increase comes from the PP, where he's scoring at a three times higher pace for second best on the team, top 10 in the league. Is that a huge step forward for him? Well, we are talking about a player who led the league in primary points relative to ice time in his rookie season. He was simply not used that way since then.

People talk about improved hustle, and I agree that it's been there. He looks more confident, and when he's confident he has that puck hound mentality that almost all the great players have. However, that doesn't really impact the PP where he's seen a large part of the increase. There's also the net front presence, where he's been terrific this season. However, he went to the net a lot even in last years wasted season. There's just a huge difference between arriving there as an option for Tavares instead of Marleau.

So while I do think that he's better now than ever, I don't think it's a significant change in him personally. We've just paid him what teams usually pay one of their top offense drivers, and then put him in a secondary role.

The thing about opportunity is that if you give it to one player, you take it away from another. Here's where that is still a good thing. Getting bang for buck matters. So putting Nylander in that spot not only helps our on-ice results, but we also get more out of him for our cap dollars. PP production costs. Let's say that Mikheyev had gotten a full season (let's ignore the injury for this example) at that spot. He might add 20 more points, and become millions more expensive against the cap. By using Nylander there, we get the most out of his $7M while making our depth and support pieces cheaper.

This is how we should have used him even last season. Who cares about who deserves what? The only thing that matters is what's best for the team, and we let having him earn it overshadow that.

Nithoniniel

Sep 7, 2012
Skövde, Sweden
Dude we lost our first rounder this year because dubas overpaid
We lost a first rounder because Lou signed an absolute anchor that was on the verge of costing us good roster players. The maximum you can argue that Matthews is overpaid is $1M, and that's a huge reach. Give us that cap space, and nothing would have changed. Marleau is still an anchor, he'll still put us in a f-ed up cap situation, and we'd still need to lose something of value because of it.

The lengths some go to complain about Dubas astounds me.

sxvnert

Nov 23, 2015
We lost a first rounder because Lou signed an absolute anchor that was on the verge of costing us good roster players. The maximum you can argue that Matthews is overpaid is $1M, and that's a huge reach. Give us that cap space, and nothing would have changed. Marleau is still an anchor, he'll still put us in a f-ed up cap situation, and we'd still need to lose something of value because of it.

The lengths some go to complain about Dubas astounds me.

and the cap space wasn't raised to what the league originally promised. An extra 1-1.5m could have gone a long way this season.

Reactions: 18leafsfan18

saltming

Fan Addict
Oct 6, 2015
Other
Here's the thing with Nylander. Does the increased point pace really indicate a significant change in his play? To some degree, it certainly does. He's doing even better with Tavares than he did with Matthews, and that was a top duo for years. But a large part of that increase comes from the PP, where he's scoring at a three times higher pace for second best on the team, top 10 in the league. Is that a huge step forward for him? Well, we are talking about a player who led the league in primary points relative to ice time in his rookie season. He was simply not used that way since then.

People talk about improved hustle, and I agree that it's been there. He looks more confident, and when he's confident he has that puck hound mentality that almost all the great players have. However, that doesn't really impact the PP where he's seen a large part of the increase. There's also the net front presence, where he's been terrific this season. However, he went to the net a lot even in last years wasted season. There's just a huge difference between arriving there as an option for Tavares instead of Marleau.

So while I do think that he's better now than ever, I don't think it's a significant change in him personally. We've just paid him what teams usually pay one of their top offense drivers, and then put him in a secondary role.

The thing about opportunity is that if you give it to one player, you take it away from another. Here's where that is still a good thing. Getting bang for buck matters. So putting Nylander in that spot not only helps our on-ice results, but we also get more out of him for our cap dollars. PP production costs. Let's say that Mikheyev had gotten a full season (let's ignore the injury for this example) at that spot. He might add 20 more points, and become millions more expensive against the cap. By using Nylander there, we get the most out of his $7M while making our depth and support pieces cheaper.

This is how we should have used him even last season. Who cares about who deserves what? The only thing that matters is what's best for the team, and we let having him earn it overshadow that.
I would say there is one change; he is stronger. His stick is heavy and moving him off his skates is very difficult. His playing style is mostly the same, but the added strength is showing.

Drytoast

Sep 27, 2017
I absolutely adore how you can't realize when you are getting f***ed.

Binnington, when asked to take a reasonable bridge, worked with the club because, you know...he wants the team to stay together.

And he just carried them to a cup.

NHL Free Agency: Binnington signs two-year, $8.8 million deal - ProHockeyTalk | NBC Sports
“I’m happy to get this deal done with the St. Louis Blues,” said Binnington in a release from the team. “To the city of St. Louis, thank you for welcoming me in and trusting me to do me. I’m excited and motivated to keep doing my job and keep bringing success to the St. Louis Blues organization.”

"After re-signing Jordan Binnington to a 2 year $4.4M AAV, the #Blues now have $7,120,406 in projected cap space, with a roster of 22 (12F/8D/2G)"

If he were here in Toronto, even without the cup we would have given him Carey Price money because, you know...we pay out league leading salaries for promises to come!

Binnington JUST WON THE CUP. And worked with the team to allow them cap space to sign other players. He didn't need to gobble it all up himself.

Would Marner sign a bridge deal to help us over the Marleau hump?

Oh that's right. They discussed bridge deal. Would have been what? 9 mil?
Toronto Maple Leafs: Rumour of a 3 Year Marner Deal “On the Table”

And before you say (that's all speculative) If it were anything in the ball park of what Binnington signed for, the Leafs would have locked him in gladly. (Or they would be considered the dumbest f***ing bunch in the league) Because signing Mitch at a reasonable bridge deal would allow them to retain Marleau and would have saved themselves their first round draft pick.

Binnington won the damn cup. After that you could honestly pay the man all the cap in the world and I'd be fine with it, he's already fullfilled his duty to the organization at that point.

Marner hasn't won a round yet. Neither has Mathews or Nylander.

Binnington just won the cup and was ok with a 2 year 4 mil bridge. A contract comparable to what we need to pay our 2nd and third liners.

Marner won jack shit and said "FU, pay me."

There is no argument here regarding the greed of our stars. You should be mad because you got f***ed and in the end it hurts the organization's ability to retain or acquire talent. They care about themselves. They don't care about the Leafs.

Leaf fans.

hqdefault.jpg

We've regressed this year. And come this summer, we will need to do yet another dance and shuffle of players, bringing in more fringe cast a ways and has beens to fill out the roster around 4 people making 40+ mil a season.

That's what's coming.

Enjoy.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad